Shot Clock

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Shot Clock

Postby eyeinthesky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:14 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
eyeinthesky wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Go back and watch every televised game on the Class B tournament and count how many possessions lasted for more than 35 seconds. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of total possessions, I bet only 5...at most 10...lasted 35 seconds or more. Almost everytime the offense has the ball a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds. Also, go and watch all of the Class A televised games and do the same thing. How many shot clock violations were there in the tourney? Probably only a couple. (I'd really like to know that answer if someone has the stat). It's the same thing in class A....a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds most of the time. Heck, a lot of the time it was just 1 or 2 passes and a shot went up after 5 seconds. I watched the Bismarck/South championship game and I will agree that is was played at a faster pace than most of the class B tourney games, but the shot clock had nothing to do with that. It's just that the style of play is different. Class A is more up and down, fast tempo (again its not because of the shot clock) and Class B is a more ball control type of game.

This is what hoopsfan21 was talking about. Go back 10-15 years and this was the exact opposite! Class B was fast tempo and Class A was more of a grind it out type of play. So what has changed....answer: shot clock and halves vs. quarters.

I am not saying a shot clock is the magical answer, but how could it hurt??

Your argument doesn't make sense. You said yourself that 10-15 years ago the styles in the tempo of the games in Class A and B were opposite what they are now. Class B was more uptempo and Class A was more ball control. Did Class B have a shot clock back then?!? NO!!! So how could that change the way class B bball is played?!? My point is that the shot clock and the halves have not changed the game. Things just go in cycles. 15 years from now Class B may be played more uptempo and Class A more slow it down again. Playing with or without a shot clock will not affect either.

I wasn't saying it would completely change how a Class B game would be played. I was simply looking at what has changed over that time that is strictly game related.

Things do change and go in cycles but sometimes there needs to be a little encouragement :D
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby basketballer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:11 pm

We need a shot clock. Look at how the game is changing...it's not good. We need something to keep the game going, ecspecially at the end of games. I want to watch BASKETBALL not throw it around until we get a layup after 45 seconds, or once we get ahead "don't shoot it because the other team could comeback." ball. Good defense doesn't get you a steal. If you play good defense you stay between your man and the basket, contest the shot, etc. Good defense doesn't transfer into steals.
basketballer

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:19 pm

but pressure defense does...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Siouxalltheway » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 pm

basketballer wrote:If you play good defense you stay between your man and the basket, contest the shot, etc. Good defense doesn't transfer into steals.

Totally agree... A team that plays good fundamental defense prevents the offense from getting an easy shot not physically taking the ball away. Defense, which is the hardest part of the game physically needs to be rewarded. Even a full court press to be effective doesnt nescesarrily steal the ball every time, it could be used to change the pace of the game to your team's style.

And i dont want to hear its not broke dont fix it again, we realize you guys feel that way and its not an original thought, and i feel that a shot clock in a way asks as a prior restraint to that. We dont want to wait until we get a state tournament filled with stalling until we change this. If the teams shoot before that time anyway, why would it be bad to add it?
Siouxalltheway
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Class B will never have a shot clock, I know some people don't want to come to that realization but thats just the way its gonna be. But I respect everybody's opinion on it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:46 pm

if the teams shoot before that time anyway, why would you add it? just more expenses and the NDHSAA is all about $$
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:38 am

Iv watched teams stall for the whole last quarter in big tournament game already up by 20 points, boy thats fun to watch, to me it humiliates the other team and coach, not to mention the fans and parents, even good teams can start out slow with back to back games, driving 80 miles one way and the other team is on thier home court, get a shot clock and lets play basketball not CATCH. stalling in Wrestling is against the rules, your there to compete, not Lollygag.
A shot clock makes more sense than a Three point line in all reality if you throwing in something to spur a comeback capability, but once again it is about $$$ and the three point line is just a painted line that needed no electronic device.
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:58 am

how does a 3 point line not help a comeback. does a shot clock give you the option to trade 3s for 2s to make a comback? example....4 point game, team behind hits a 3. now a 1 point game. winning team scores a layup, 3 point game. losing team comes down and hits another 3. game is now tied 20 seconds later. if you wait for the shot clock to help you comeback you NEED a stop. with a 3 point line, you can comeback without stops being an absolute must.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 am

baseball wrote:how does a 3 point line not help a comeback. does a shot clock give you the option to trade 3s for 2s to make a comback? example....4 point game, team behind hits a 3. now a 1 point game. winning team scores a layup, 3 point game. losing team comes down and hits another 3. game is now tied 20 seconds later. if you wait for the shot clock to help you comeback you NEED a stop. with a 3 point line, you can comeback without stops being an absolute must.

thats if you make it

Also do you always change up what people post or just mine??

I said that a shot clock is a much better comback tool Than the dreaded Three Pointer, I did not state that the Three Pointer was not a good comeback tool, Thank You!!

get the ball into your Bread & Butter on "O", on "D" hit the board, get the ball out and get your A$$ down to the other end.
milton-meteor

Postby asiantangy99 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:28 pm

ndfan wrote:Class B will never have a shot clock, I know some people don't want to come to that realization but thats just the way its gonna be. But I respect everybody's opinion on it.

agreed
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:38 pm

shot clock wont happen
Last edited by milton-meteor on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
milton-meteor

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 pm

milton-meteor wrote:
ndfan wrote:Class B will never have a shot clock, I know some people don't want to come to that realization but thats just the way its gonna be. But I respect everybody's opinion on it.

never say, never

gas wont go yo three $$$ a gallon either

Hey Meateyer,

Gas wont go yo three..... SAY WHAT????
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby champs0607 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:39 pm

i think what meaty was tryin to say was gas won't go up three...right hand mustuv slid over huh?
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby Siouxalltheway » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:15 am

baseball wrote:how does a 3 point line not help a comeback. does a shot clock give you the option to trade 3s for 2s to make a comback? example....4 point game, team behind hits a 3. now a 1 point game. winning team scores a layup, 3 point game. losing team comes down and hits another 3. game is now tied 20 seconds later. if you wait for the shot clock to help you comeback you NEED a stop. with a 3 point line, you can comeback without stops being an absolute must.

How about we have them both and then the end of the games will not consist of pass... pass... pass.. two dribbles towards the hoop pull it out... pass... pass... pass etc thats even boring to type.

Also why would the opposing team shoot the ball within twenty seconds if they were ahead. If there isnt a shot clock they are not going to... This is your weakest post on the subject.
Siouxalltheway
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:19 am

Siouxalltheway wrote:

How about we have them both and then the end of the games will not consist of pass... pass... pass.. two dribbles towards the hoop pull it out... pass... pass... pass etc thats even boring to type.

Also why would the opposing team shoot the ball within twenty seconds if they were ahead. If there isnt a shot clock they are not going to... This is your weakest post on the subject.

where did i say it was late in the game?? for all my post is concerned it could be in the 1st quarter. and have you ever seen a basketball game? if teams try to sit on the ball the last 3 minutes only up 4 it almost always backfires. if your up4 you keep attacking unless its the last 30 seconds...which if it was the shot clock would be off. or 2 minutes and they are sitting in a zone...but thats been the arguement for awhile. if your down and gonna sit in a zone, you dont deserve a shot clock to bail you out.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby poweraidman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:10 am

Ok i dont see what any of you people think when you dis zones and say your "sitting" in a zone, Some teams can run a very effective zone, zones are hepful to pic off passes that in a man you couldnt or help stop a very good point from penatrating or and very good post player from getting an easy bucket. I do agree that some teams can run a lazy zone but a lot of teams who run zone play it really well, zones can be used to force turnovers more then a man sometimes. zone isnt a lazy man defence, it can be used as one but it usually isnt. so quite telling people to get out of their zone and play defence, thats no excuse for having a shot clock or not. (oh btw there should be a shotclock :wink: )
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:26 am

im talking about late in the game when they sit back in a zone and then complain about a team holding the ball 30 feet from the hoop. if your going to "play" zone late in the game when your down, thats an invitation for the team to hold it until you come out of the zone and guard them. and them are the games im at when i here about shot clock. not when, a team is playing man defense and they are dribbling and passing.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby poweraidman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:17 pm

ok, yeah i understand what your saying now
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:02 pm

For everyone who said class B will never have a shot clock...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/article ... m?id=74841

It looks like we will be experimenting a little bit. Who knows after this.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:13 pm

this article doesn't really mention the main reason why class b doesn't have a shot clock....$$$$$$
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Schwab. How expensive do you think it is to install a shot clock?
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby MT_20 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:01 am

I don't think a shot clock is needed in class b.
#1 it wud only really be used in the end of the quarter situatuions
#2 if a team is imposing its will on a team and wants to back off and not run up the score the shot clock wud make that team have to shoot the ball instead of holding it and running threw the play.
#3 it would force to many bad shots class b teams always take good open jumpers and if the shot clock was counting down it would make someone shoot a forced shot.
the only reason it would be good for is at the end of a game if u r down six with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game then the winning team couldn't play stall ball to win the game
“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
MT_20
NDPreps Starter

Postby bus » Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am

Personally i think a shot clock is needed because if you go back to the days when dan stutulien coached for Cavalier he would try to ice close games by having the point gaurds basically play catch at the half line at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

I also see MT_20's point about class B schools having a reputation for taking good, calculated shots.

Either way the game will go on.
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby football_1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:00 pm

i would be in full support of a shot clock therefore teams wouldn't be able to kill a whole minute
football_1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:10 am

football_1 wrote:i would be in full support of a shot clock therefore teams wouldn't be able to kill a whole minute

all the talk aobut this whole topic over dozens of threads and thats still the only arguement??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys