Region 6

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 6

Postby Ballin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:48 pm

The top teams in region 6 are Bishop Ryan, Mohall, and Dunseith. Yeah it is true Dunseith did beat BR, but you have to remember its only December. Its still pretty early to be thinking about the region championship, but I suppose there is no harm in doing so. I look for Ryan and either Mohall or Dunseith in the region championship game. If the regional tourney is at the auditorium this year, like it usually is, then you know BR is going to state! :D
Ballin

Postby forloveofthegame » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Regional tourney is at the Dome, not the auditorium. Apparently that is home court advantage for Ryan? A gym they play in as often as the other region teams?

Still way too early to give MLS that much credit.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magic715 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:41 pm

Ballin wrote:The top teams in region 6 are Bishop Ryan, Mohall, and Dunseith. Yeah it is true Dunseith did beat BR, but you have to remember its only December. Its still pretty early to be thinking about the region championship, but I suppose there is no harm in doing so. I look for Ryan and either Mohall or Dunseith in the region championship game. If the regional tourney is at the auditorium this year, like it usually is, then you know BR is going to state! :D

Well i have seen Ryan play now quite a few games, i do believe they are now over rated, players havnt seemed to have gotten better except for one or 2 players, i didnt htink they would miss the 2 players they lost last yr, but they do. Unless they kick it in the rear, they are going to be toast by more than one team in the region. Just my opinion.
magic715

Postby power-aid14 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:47 pm

magic715 wrote:
Ballin wrote:The top teams in region 6 are Bishop Ryan, Mohall, and Dunseith. Yeah it is true Dunseith did beat BR, but you have to remember its only December. Its still pretty early to be thinking about the region championship, but I suppose there is no harm in doing so. I look for Ryan and either Mohall or Dunseith in the region championship game. If the regional tourney is at the auditorium this year, like it usually is, then you know BR is going to state! :D

Well i have seen Ryan play now quite a few games, i do believe they are now over rated, players havnt seemed to have gotten better except for one or 2 players, i didnt htink they would miss the 2 players they lost last yr, but they do. Unless they kick it in the rear, they are going to be toast by more than one team in the region. Just my opinion.

WHO ARE YOU?
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bill Cartwright » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:54 pm

I agree with magic, I watch ryan play the title game against parshall and even though they won be a reasonable margin they didnt look like a top ranked team. They have two great players, with one who really needs to work on free throws but that is the only flaw of either of them. The others need help, they were missing lay ups and easy shots, they also looked very volnerable to the press. Mohall? I dont even know if they will make the region tourney!
Bill Cartwright

Postby forloveofthegame » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 pm

I watched the Ryan/Parshall game and totally disagree that Ryan didn't look like a topped ranked team. First of all, Parshall was ranked 10th at the time, Ryan 8th. Ryan outplayed them in every aspect of the game. So, looks like Parshall were the overrated ones. Also, two good players? Seriously? Are you one of those people who only value a player based on how many points they make? Here is a fact for you. The two best players ( I assume we are thinking of the same two) have had some of the lowest shooting percentages so far this season. They shoot more and get more points so therefore you consider them there only good players. Defense truly wins games and if you look at their stats they have two other players who consistently rebound, steal, rack up assists, draw charges and still put some points on the board. This is the key to Ryan. They rely on a couple of guys to be high scorers but without the others doing what they do, they would not be a ranked team. I absolutely hate when people only look to points. That is very 8th grade basketball. Ryan is a very well rounded team. They all seem to play unselfishly.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magic715 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:28 pm

forloveofthegame wrote:I watched the Ryan/Parshall game and totally disagree that Ryan didn't look like a topped ranked team. First of all, Parshall was ranked 10th at the time, Ryan 8th. Ryan outplayed them in every aspect of the game. So, looks like Parshall were the overrated ones. Also, two good players? Seriously? Are you one of those people who only value a player based on how many points they make? Here is a fact for you. The two best players ( I assume we are thinking of the same two) have had some of the lowest shooting percentages so far this season. They shoot more and get more points so therefore you consider them there only good players. Defense truly wins games and if you look at their stats they have two other players who consistently rebound, steal, rack up assists, draw charges and still put some points on the board. This is the key to Ryan. They rely on a couple of guys to be high scorers but without the others doing what they do, they would not be a ranked team. I absolutely hate when people only look to points. That is very 8th grade basketball. Ryan is a very well rounded team. They all seem to play unselfishly.

I pretty much agree with alot of your points, i think Ryan can be a very good team, and played well in the Parshall game, as thier coach said in the paper after that game. But i also dont think Parshall should have been rated, altho i thought they played pretty good defense against Ryan, they still are willing to give u a good easy shot just to get the ball back. Ryan lacks a second tough big guy inside, Allard plays way to soft and is slow, but i do love how Krueger, Bartsch, Eggl, and Backes play with hustle and desire for being outsized most of the time, i just dont know how much they improved from last year. Just my opinion.
magic715

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:24 am

Magic715-

Since you told us how you feel about 4 of Minot Ryans starters, curious of your thoughts on the fifth, Vetter?
ndsportsfan00

Postby mags » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:52 pm

hey magic u seem to know your stuff about ryan we r just all wondering... who r u??? i mean we tried and tried to figure it out and just cant
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Suggestion from the moderator - if you want to know who someone is send them a private message. Then that person can reply if they so choose without telling the whole board who they are.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic715 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:07 pm

ndsportsfan00 wrote:Magic715-

Since you told us how you feel about 4 of Minot Ryans starters, curious of your thoughts on the fifth, Vetter?

Oh, i like Vetter alot, strong, unselfish, like the others, i was jsut comparing size wise, Vetter cant pressure like the shorter guys. He is being triple and quad teamed when he gets the ball inside, so he needs to be able to see and know where the other players are when he gets the ball, he is a little tunnel visioned. Ryan doesnt have the depth i was thinking they would. And no need to say who i am, i dont think i have dissed anyone, have i? if i have maybe i would tell someone.
magic715

Postby luckyinlife » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 am

I got to see Vetter at state last March and he really impressed me with his defense. Very solid and rarely gets out of position. Played hard the whole game every game.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bill Cartwright » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:19 pm

I would have to agree that Parshall looked over rated, but as for ryan I would still say they are as well. I know a good basketball player when I see one and I know there is more than scoring, I do like Eggl he is a good free throw shooter and hustles well, as for everyone else they all hustle because their coach makes them or they are on the bench. Ryan has potential for being a tough team, they work hard, I just think they are going to need to find another scorer and become more poised as a team
Bill Cartwright

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Bill-

I agree with you on Eggl. Tough kid with good hustle and seems to stay level-headed throughout all 4 quarters. Nice clutch player to have on your team. Another kid that impresses me on MInot Ryan's team is Kruger. That kid always plays WAY bigger than himself (at least in the games that I have seen). Seems to play with his whole heart. He isn't the go to guy for points though. Not too good in pressure situations. In my opinion he is the hardest worker on that team. My favorite to watch is Backes. I think the thing that will prevent Medalins team from getting the state title is their lack of team leadership. They lack that this year with the loss of Mueller. Someone needs to step up or they will finish the season early. IMO
ndsportsfan00

Postby forloveofthegame » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:33 pm

ndsportsfan -
Good points. I have to agree that Eggl and Kruger are totally underrated. If you watch a game, keep an eye on Kruger he is everywhere. Always has a hand on the ball, boxing out, or playing tough D. I admire his hustle and desire. I agree though that he is not a points guy. Alot of his defensive stops turn into points though. Eggl handles the ball really well, especially considering he wasn't even a starter last year. Excellent free throw shooter and dangerous from the three point line. As far as no leader since Mueller left, I have to disagree. From what I saw of him, he could be really negative. Kind of whined when a call didn't go his way, and sulked when his shots wouldn't fall. They do need to get a player to step up as a leader, I think the job should fall on Vetter in his third or fourth year of Varsity play. Should be exciting to see where they go this year.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bill Cartwright » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:09 pm

I agree forthelove, Mueller to me wasnt much of a leader because of what you stated. As for krueger he truely does hustle and rebounds well, but to me sometimes he gets out of control. As your suggestion as Vetter as a leader a agree as well. It seems to me like he is a nonverbal leader but they need more out of him, it wouldnt hurt for him to speak up when they are in trouble. Now that district play is going to start it will be interesting to see what each team brings to the table each night.
Bill Cartwright

Postby BB11 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Enough about Ryan,
Anyone else impressed with Velva? Haven't seen much written about them in this topic yet. 5-0, and looking a lot more together than they have been in previous years.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby HS Ballers » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Minot Ryan is as beatable as anyone of the teams in region 6. They may be favored by the majority because they are returning region champs but if you look at the spread, there really is no teams that jump out. It will be tough for all the teams, including Minot Ryan, to earn a trip to state.
HS Ballers

Postby lionstigersandbears » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:01 pm

BB11 wrote:Enough about Ryan,
Anyone else impressed with Velva? Haven't seen much written about them in this topic yet. 5-0, and looking a lot more together than they have been in previous years.

Yep...Velva looks good and I think they always pose a threat. The Minot Ryan game in February will be worth the watch. anyone know where it's being played (on 2/14)?
lionstigersandbears

Postby Bill Cartwright » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Velva should be considered a scary team, I have watched them three times and they are a scrappy well coached team. They are just so young and really lack a leader on the court as well, so that might be their only fault as of now.
Bill Cartwright

Postby ndsportsfan00 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Bill-

I haven't had the chance to see Velva play this year, hoping to make a game soon. Had the chance to watch them a few times last season though. If they are anything like last year, then yes they are a very scrappy team. Well coached too! Last year it seemed to me that what they lacked in talent they made up for with dirty play. Somehow it worked for them. Looking forward to watching them this year and seeing if they can rise above scrappy play.
ndsportsfan00

Postby niebuhr#81 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm

lionstigersandbears wrote:
BB11 wrote:Enough about Ryan,

Yep...Velva looks good and I think they always pose a threat. The Minot Ryan game in February will be worth the watch. anyone know where it's being played (on 2/14)?

the games being played at Bishop Ryan at 7:30
last game before districts for Velva
niebuhr#81
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoops247 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:55 pm

TGU over Velva by 10 tonight!
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby HS Ballers » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Velva over MLS by 1 last night
HS Ballers

Postby LarryBirdFan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Bottineau is going to be a region 6 contender. They played a great game last night and led by 10 points late in the second quarter. Zach Derr, Blake Johnson, and Rob Neubauer showed that Bottineau does have an outside game by hitting important threes in the first half. They had Dunseith on the ropes and had a chance to win the game. I think that Bottineau has some of the better guards in region 6 as displayed last night and will surprise quite a few people this year as they battle Minot Ryan and Dunsieth for the region championship.
LarryBirdFan
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys