Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm

This team is ranked 6th in the state, but i haven't heard much about them. I know about Ostrom, and Nelson, but otherwise i havent heard a thing about them. Anyone know who else they got, and what they do to be successful?
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page

Postby aggie football » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:39 pm

It really surprises me to see FSHP in the top ten rankings. They have a 4-0 record but that's about the only reason i see them in the top 10. They have had a pretty easy schedule to start the year by beating teams such as Barnes County North, Griggs County Central, Northern Cass, and Enderlin. They are led by Ostrom, Nelson, and Thorson. All averaging over 14 points a game. Thorson runs the point and does it well. Nelson plays inside as their big. He is an above average player, standing around 6'3''. Ostrom is their main guy. 6'3'' senior who can play about every position.
Not trying to put them down but I just want to see how they play against a half decent team. As long as they remain undeafeted they'll remain in that poll and probably climb it but that's the bad things about polls. Put these guys against a Grafton, Four Winds, Dakota Prairie or anyone ranked below them, I think they'd get worked. That's the reason why polls don't mean a thing. I think on the 5th they play Hillsboro and I wouldn't be suprised to see Hillsboro come up with the win, or at least keep it tight. Congratulations however to the towns of FSHP for their successful season thus far. It's been many years since they have seen the light.
aggie football

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:26 pm

As far as them getting "worked" by teams ranked lower then them I don't know if I'd go that far. They would give Grafton all sorts of problems in the paint. Ostrom is a much better defender then most guys AK faces throughout the year. They'd have a big mis-match in the paint with AK guarding either Nelson or Ostrom and the other having a smaller guard on them. Grafton is confident playing man defense the whole game and I think that would work to the advantage of FSHP. I think a match up with DP could also be a good game. I haven't seen Four WInds play so I don't know how good they actually are. It's good to see them get recognition in the polls but like you said we won't know how good they are until they actually do play better competition.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballuvr » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:19 pm

FSHP plays North Sargent @ Gwinner on Dec 28th. NS is 5-0 and getting votes. They have beaten a couple struggling teams and a nice Central Cass team. Should be a nice early season test for both teams. Only December ball, but a nice measuring stick to use moving into January ball.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:53 am

alright....my opinon on FSHP......very good team......but i HATE the polls, if the kids dont read to much of their own press clippings they will be just fine.......FSHP would NOT get worked by Grafton, NB or Four Winds....Ostrom is one of the better on-ball defenders in the area (can't say state, because i haven't seen every one play) just a fun fact he held the state's leading scorer (beau sizer) last year to his two lowest outputs of the year. Nick Nelson is a VERY athletic big man who would give a majority of the teams in the state match up problems. John Thorson is what i would call their "General", he is the leader on the floor, good ball handler, excelent passer, hit's key shots. They also have 4 or 5 guys who are role players, if these players really settle in and do their part there is no reason why FSHP can't compete for the District 2 and Region 1 crown. Friday will be a very tough test as they travel to Gwinner to take on a very good North Sargent team. Best of Luck to the Spartans.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby dogg » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:24 pm

FSHP only lost 2 players from last years team, who were non-starters. They have a deep bench, so if one of the starters are not playing their game, there is always someone to step in for them. For a second year co-op, they've learned how to "gel".
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:46 pm

North Sargent 48
FSHP 35
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cutter90 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:02 am

wow is north sargeant that good or is fshp overrated like u guys were saying
cutter90
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:08 am

cutter90 wrote:wow is north sargeant that good or is fshp overrated like u guys were saying

North Sargent is a pretty strong team they both pretty good North Sargent i think is receiving Votes!!
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballuvr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:52 am

Nice win for NS. They were missing starter, Hansen, 6'4" junior, but were able to pull out the win. FSHP had a tough shooting night. NS played a 1-2-2 zone and it seemed to keep FSHP from establishing much of a rythym. My first time seeing these teams. Does anyone know if FSHP has seen a zone yet this year?

NS survived several turnovers to get the win. Both teams cold from the line: NS 9-16, FSHP 8-16. Nelson and Ostrum? had some foul trouble. Limited their minutes some.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AandBfan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:35 am

Guess they were overrated
AandBfan

Postby The Schwab » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:59 am

Overrated just cause they lost one game....on the road? Dont know if i'd go that far.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dr.Love » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:alright....my opinon on FSHP......very good team......but i HATE the polls, if the kids dont read to much of their own press clippings they will be just fine.......FSHP would NOT get worked by Grafton, NB or Four Winds....Ostrom is one of the better on-ball defenders in the area (can't say state, because i haven't seen every one play) just a fun fact he held the state's leading scorer (beau sizer) last year to his two lowest outputs of the year. Nick Nelson is a VERY athletic big man who would give a majority of the teams in the state match up problems. John Thorson is what i would call their "General", he is the leader on the floor, good ball handler, excelent passer, hit's key shots. They also have 4 or 5 guys who are role players, if these players really settle in and do their part there is no reason why FSHP can't compete for the District 2 and Region 1 crown. Friday will be a very tough test as they travel to Gwinner to take on a very good North Sargent team. Best of Luck to the Spartans.

Fun fact BCN changed the offense last year after the Lamoure blow out and Sizer took off.BCN improved as the year went on,wonder if FSHP will this year or fizzle away.As for Four Winds they would win big!
Dr.Love
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the mask » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:18 pm

sizer was a one man team last year thats about it bartlett and heinze and christ were just the guys feeding him the ball and to me sizer was the only guy who could really do anything even if he was being double or triple teamed he still found a way to score alot
you don't have to win championships to be considered a good team
the mask
NDPreps Starter

Postby aggie football » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:54 pm

I guess i didn't have to look too far down the length of their schedule. Getting beat by 13, without one of NS better players I would say is a pretty good beating. FSHP is just not #6 in the state good. Yes they are a good team but not top ten or recieving votes good imo.
aggie football

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:03 pm

NS did not give them the big beating you think they did. NS struggled against the press and turned over the ball quite a bit. I think FSHP was either ahead by 2 or down by only 2 at halftime and at the third quarter it was still close, NS started to pull away in the fourth when FSHP best player Ostrom was called for 3 offensive fouls in about two minutes, and fould out of the game. It was a good game, but not the beating of 13 points you think. Its really difficult to judge a game by the differential in the score.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Claz B Fan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Its not always easy to win in that tiny gym in which North Sargent plays in either
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:39 pm

BCN's offense last year was.....get the ball to sizer....that never changed.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Thunder66 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:19 am

Claz B Fan wrote:Its not always easy to win in that tiny gym in which North Sargent plays in either

Can't be a whole lot smaller than Hope's, and the gym in Finley isn't exactly spacious either
Thunder66

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:57 am

Finley actually has a nice sized gym. One of the nicer gyms around. And they do not play any varsity home games in hope, they are all played in page. Page's gym is huge, but trust me, their both alot bigger than NS. Even though this didnt really have much to do with the out come, FSHP just couldnt shoot that night.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassB-bballfan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm

FSHP is a much better team than they played at NS. That was a terrible showing for the team as a whole. Ostrom Thorson and Nelson have been leading the team in high double digits till then and no one was able to find the basket that night. Dont write them off so fast... there is a lot of talent and if they play their usual game of pressing and running Imo NS would have never been in the game. Not sure why the coach went away from what was working....was impressed with their ability to run the ball and their press but for some reason they went away from that and really slowed it down against NS. If they played them again FSHP would come out on top, much more all around talent on the team. Keep playing your game FSHP and you will deserve to be in the polls...you have earned it!
ClassB-bballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classb_fan00 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:19 pm

The Schwab wrote:BCN's offense last year was.....get the ball to sizer....that never changed.

oooo you did coach that team didn't you. so you would know their offense
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:24 pm

nah i didn't.....but it doesnt take too much to realize what their purpose was....i watched them in the first game of the year, the middle of the year and at the end of the year. And it didn't look like anything had changed. When you have a guy who can score around the basket like sizer....your going to try to get him the ball.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dr.Love » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:53 pm

to start the year they ran a flex and sizer was setting screens he was the 2nd option,later they went 4 out and 1 in and you know the rest of the story
Dr.Love
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassB-bballfan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Thought this was titled FSHP not BCN?
ClassB-bballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys