top 10 team beat out in Dist?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

top 10 team beat out in Dist?

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm

anyone know off the top of their head a boys team that did NOT make it out of Districts when they were ranked in the top 10 in state?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Re: top 10 team beat out in Dist?

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:37 pm

point/center wrote:anyone know off the top of their head a boys team that did NOT make it out of Districts when they were ranked in the top 10 in state?

Is this refering to this year? I dont know if they were top 10 in state but wasnt midkota undefeated or 1 loss going into districts about 6-8 years back and got beat out in the first two days?
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:40 pm

any year. doesnt matter. just curious. it seems districts become less relevant every year.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm

point/center wrote:any year. doesnt matter. just curious. it seems districts become less relevant every year.

sixth-seeded pbk qualified for the region tournament by knocking off the 2 and 3 seeds in the district 5 tournament. right about the time i think its time to get rid of districts, something like that happens.
rep

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:49 pm

In 97 or 98 Hillsboro was rated #3 in state or something like that. Only lost 1 or 2 games all season. It was suppose to be a legenday battle between them and MPCG (also ranked in the top 5) for the dist and region title. Hillsboro was the #1 seed because they beat MPCG in the reg season. Larimore was the #8 seed and was 2-17 on the season and knocked off Hillsboro. Because the dist was a challenge game setup at that time, Hillsboro couldnt' qualify for regions because Larimore finished 4th and they got 5th, but Larimore had already beaten them so there was no challenge. Larimore went into the regional tourney that year with a 3-19 record and quickly got blown out right away. With the new double elimination format I think Hillsboro would have easily been able to win their way back to region and Larimore would have lost out.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:57 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
point/center wrote:anyone know off the top of their head a boys team that did NOT make it out of Districts when they were ranked in the top 10 in state?

Is this refering to this year? I dont know if they were top 10 in state but wasnt midkota undefeated or 1 loss going into districts about 6-8 years back and got beat out in the first two days?

I don't ever remember Midkota being that good. For boys anyway....could be a girls team you're remembering. If this is true, anyone know the year or their stud players?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:44 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

I don't ever remember Midkota being that good. For boys anyway....could be a girls team you're remembering. If this is true, anyone know the year or their stud players?

It was guys now that i think about it they might have had 2-3 losses and were getting votes i think it woulda been somewhere around 2002-2003
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:57 am

Dp was #1 or #2 in state in 2000 or 2001, were undefeated going into the district and lost out the first two games. That was the year district 3 was stacked. Mayport, griggs, and dp were in the top 5 that year.
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am

DP was not undefeated in the ditrict that year. They lost to Griggs County and Mayville. They were 15-4 going into the districts. They were not ranked in state by district tourney time. But Mayville, HIllsboro, and Griggs County was. They also didnt go two and out. They lost to Hillsboro in the first round, and then they beat Central Valley, then lost to Griggs Country. That district was stacked that year. Ithink CV was in the polls at time that season as well.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby itsallabouteddie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:22 am

ndlionsfan wrote:In 97 or 98 Hillsboro was rated #3 in state or something like that. Only lost 1 or 2 games all season. It was suppose to be a legenday battle between them and MPCG (also ranked in the top 5) for the dist and region title. Hillsboro was the #1 seed because they beat MPCG in the reg season. Larimore was the #8 seed and was 2-17 on the season and knocked off Hillsboro. Because the dist was a challenge game setup at that time, Hillsboro couldnt' qualify for regions because Larimore finished 4th and they got 5th, but Larimore had already beaten them so there was no challenge. Larimore went into the regional tourney that year with a 3-19 record and quickly got blown out right away. With the new double elimination format I think Hillsboro would have easily been able to win their way back to region and Larimore would have lost out.

you are correct on that. i was on that team. it was the 97-98 season. i don't know if we were ranked that high. mayville might have still even been ranked higher than us. but yeah we played horrendous that game lost and shoot we almost lost again in the consolation bracket to central valley. it definately showed that anything could happen. i was a junior that year so next year we made it our mission to make it to state and we accomplished that. i can't remember if it was the next year or when it happened that district 3 changed it to the current format.
itsallabouteddie
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys