Way Too Early 2017-18

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby CentralCity » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Who will make state next year out of each region and who will be the top players?
CentralCity
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Region 1- Oak Grove
Region 2- Thompson, HCV. Cavalier may make some noise
Region 3- Linton-HMB
Region 4- Four Winds Minnewauken
Region 5- Shiloh, TLMM
Region 6- Bishop Ryan
Region 7- Beulah, Hettinger Scranton
Region 8- Stanley

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Region 1- Richland (Toss up between them and Oak Grove, need to play Man to Man D)
Region 2- Thompson (I'd be very surprised if Thompson doesn't make it out of the region this year)
Region 3- Linton-HMB (Don't really know who would give them a challenge, possibly Carrington)
Region 4- St. John (I know Four Winds doesn't rebuild, they reload, but I think St. John has all the pieces)
Region 5- Shiloh (I don't think there will be much standing in their way this year)
Region 6- Bishop Ryan (Not from the area, but they competed pretty well at state without their best player)
Region 7- Beulah (Don't lose too much from last years team that almost got out of the region)
Region 8- Stanley (Should make it out of the region, but to really make a run at state they need to learn to run their offense from the inside out, from what I saw at state there were too many empty possessions because they would shoot the three out of rhythm without working it inside or drive and kick)
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:Region 1- Richland (Toss up between them and Oak Grove, need to play Man to Man D)
Region 2- Thompson (I'd be very surprised if Thompson doesn't make it out of the region this year)
Region 3- Linton-HMB (Don't really know who would give them a challenge, possibly Carrington)
Region 4- St. John (I know Four Winds doesn't rebuild, they reload, but I think St. John has all the pieces)
Region 5- Shiloh (I don't think there will be much standing in their way this year)
Region 6- Bishop Ryan (Not from the area, but they competed pretty well at state without their best player)
Region 7- Beulah (Don't lose too much from last years team that almost got out of the region)
Region 8- Stanley (Should make it out of the region, but to really make a run at state they need to learn to run their offense from the inside out, from what I saw at state there were too many empty possessions because they would shoot the three out of rhythm without working it inside or drive and kick)


Pretty good analysis. I think TLMM will battle shiloh because they will still have Jacobs, but I would agree that it's Shiloh's region to lose. In region 7, the loss of Hoherz will hurt Beulah, but they do have a ton of talent back.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Region 1- Oak Grove (Richland could challenge)
Region 2- Thompson (Lost the older Schwabe, but return a lot of talent).
Region 3- Carrington (Napoleon has the most returning, but has to develop inside game to have a chance).
Region 4- St. John (Four Winds/Minnewauken will be the favorite I’m sure, but they are bound to have a letdown sometime).
Region 5- Shiloh (They are always the favorite, even though it is hard to tell who will be there from year to year).
Region 6- Minot Ryan (Good, young talent. Not sure what the other teams have coming back)
Region 7- Beulah (Hettinger-Scranton will challenge, and Dickinson Trinity is always there, too)
Region 8- Stanley (Should be the favorite, but probably won’t emerge from one of the most unpredictable regions)

Ask me again in November, and this could all change.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:43 pm

"Way too early" says it best..

But I will say St. John barring injuries in Football etc etc should roll outta R. 4
Region 2 I say will be very competitive with
Hatton/Northwood
Thompson
HCV
Cavalier
Grafton
even this past year even though HCV had there run and won it all, they still were tied going into the Region Tournament with Thompson and Grafton right on their heals and then beat Thompson by a bucket to head to Minot....
when you lose a player like Schwabe in any of the 3 sports Baseball, Football, Basketball you've lost 2 players IMO but like said above they return good talent with size too....Cavalier lost their experienced Coach right before the season and with that said I think it went as good as it possibly could have in hindsight with his replacement, had they not lost their coach I think they they would have been a 5 or 6 seed maybe even 4 vs 8 going into the region tourn. Coaching position is once again open and depending on that Cav has the pieces....HN has good coach and his son with a good supporting cast....HCV returns talent and size although young at the guard positions....saving the most interesting for last I say Grafton will be banging on all 8 cylinders if they stay healthy and I believe they will be a tough tough out....Oh, and I think Larimore will be very respectable too!

the other 6 Regions?
its not only early but I don't get out much so I have no Idea... :D
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby senditin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm

winner-within wrote:"Way too early" says it best..

But I will say St. John barring injuries in Football etc etc should roll outta R. 4
Region 2 I say will be very competitive with
Hatton/Northwood
Thompson
HCV
Cavalier
Grafton
even this past year even though HCV had there run and won it all, they still were tied going into the Region Tournament with Thompson and Grafton right on their heals and then beat Thompson by a bucket to head to Minot....
when you lose a player like Schwabe in any of the 3 sports Baseball, Football, Basketball you've lost 2 players IMO but like said above they return good talent with size too....Cavalier lost their experienced Coach right before the season and with that said I think it went as good as it possibly could have in hindsight with his replacement, had they not lost their coach I think they they would have been a 5 or 6 seed maybe even 4 vs 8 going into the region tourn. Coaching position is once again open and depending on that Cav has the pieces....HN has good coach and his son with a good supporting cast....HCV returns talent and size although young at the guard positions....saving the most interesting for last I say Grafton will be banging on all 8 cylinders if they stay healthy and I believe they will be a tough tough out....Oh, and I think Larimore will be very respectable too!

the other 6 Regions?
its not only early but I don't get out much so I have no Idea... :D

St. John will not roll out of region 4. FWM loses alot but the cupboard is far from bare. Who in region 4 is gonna stop Charlie Black? Dedrick Robertson would have been 6th man but he was hurt, he's a guard who is very fast. Doug Yankton is ready to breakout. Throw in a slew of athletic players like Frank Gourd, Gionni Robertson, Pernell Jackson and Fred Redfox. Plus Bronson Walter, 6'9" gonna be 9th grade and maybe an all district transfer from another region. They aren't going to be unanimous number 1 in the polls but I for one am not going to be surprised if they are back at the state tournament.
senditin
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 pm

no disrespect to FW's, they've proved time and time again they are capable of winning their Region or at least competing hard to win it.....they have a lot of kids to choose from and then like you say they get players coming in from else where.....plus they are very very well coached..

when I say roll out I don't mean easy, I mean it could be their year...and like I said its very early and these are assumptions
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 pm

I feel like winner has a relative(s) on the St. John team. He's been on that bandwagon a long time.

Region 2: my knowledge of boys is far less than girls, but I feel like Grafton is underrated. They were a borderline top 10 team most of the 16-17 season, lost by 1 at Thompson, and don't they have most of their key contributors back?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 am

Flip wrote:I feel like winner has a relative(s) on the St. John team. He's been on that bandwagon a long time.

Region 2: my knowledge of boys is far less than girls, but I feel like Grafton is underrated. They were a borderline top 10 team most of the 16-17 season, lost by 1 at Thompson, and don't they have most of their key contributors back?


Yea I don't know for sure what got me onto St. John......I watched them play three times last year and it seemed they had the strength and with not losing many will still posess that....Now as far as relatives? one may have to go back to Quebec ar at least St. Boniface to see :wink:

so I'll leave them alone now....I will be concentrating elsewhere anyways :)

Grafton was beatable this past season, this season it will be much tougher to beat them....but there will be a few of those teams in region 2 tougher to beat as stated in my a previous post...

and it hasn't been that long Flip....
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby CentralCity » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 am

I would be shocked if Carrington didn't make it out of region 3. They definitely return the most (only lose 1 to graduation) Took 2nd in the region this year. Linton loses 3 to graduation (1 being senior athlete in district 6 and another being 6'5") I could see Carrington making a run at state. They are going to be senior loaded and return 20ppg and 10ppg scorers i believe. From what I've heard, the new coach is very good.

But again, it's way too early to tell.
CentralCity
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm

CentralCity wrote:I would be shocked if Carrington didn't make it out of region 3. They definitely return the most (only lose 1 to graduation) Took 2nd in the region this year. Linton loses 3 to graduation (1 being senior athlete in district 6 and another being 6'5") I could see Carrington making a run at state. They are going to be senior loaded and return 20ppg and 10ppg scorers i believe. From what I've heard, the new coach is very good.

But again, it's way too early to tell.


Carrington sure had some battles with Ellendale.... early to mid season Carrington was the better squad as the season wound down Ellendale peaked and got them....if that experience was absorbed, Carrington will be a tough out...
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 pm

winner-within wrote:
CentralCity wrote:I would be shocked if Carrington didn't make it out of region 3. They definitely return the most (only lose 1 to graduation) Took 2nd in the region this year. Linton loses 3 to graduation (1 being senior athlete in district 6 and another being 6'5") I could see Carrington making a run at state. They are going to be senior loaded and return 20ppg and 10ppg scorers i believe. From what I've heard, the new coach is very good.

But again, it's way too early to tell.


Carrington sure had some battles with Ellendale.... early to mid season Carrington was the better squad as the season wound down Ellendale peaked and got them....if that experience was absorbed, Carrington will be a tough out...



Carrington is the favorite but they need to replace Edland, he was a big part of what they did on both ends. Bickett is my favorite for Region SAOY. Do not sleep on EKM, Hanson is the best post player in the Region and they return nice pieces around him. Oakes will be greatly improved, their best player will be a freshman in Garrett Meehl. Do not sleep on Ellendale, they graduate 3 very good seniors but the cupboard is far from empty, Molan, Hofer, Dewald and Peterson are a very good core.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

EHS,
I forgot about EKM. I watched them play a couple of times last year, and yes, they were a very young team. Hanson is a horse, and I don’t see many big men in that region being able to stop him. I was also impressed with that Huber kid a couple years ago already. I still think Carrington should be the favorite, but they are not a shoo in. Looking around the region, Linton-HMB will be down, unless they have some younger players no one has seen at the varsity level, and Napoleon has a lot back, but from watching them play a couple times last year, they didn’t have any inside game whatsoever. They can hit 3’s, though, and are really quick. I didn’t think Ellendale would be that strong next year, but evidently, you know a lot more about them than I do, and know what they have coming up. I think Strasburg lost Huizenga, but otherwise, returns a lot of players, and Kidder County will be respectable, even though they lost a couple of studs. I seen Oakes play once last year, and they had some good scorers who are coming back. They were horrible on defense, however, so they better improve in that area if they want to compete.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:58 am

reloading with talent is one thing and then that talent needs experience and leadership and direction....if that all comes together its possible to be as good or close but nothing replaces tournament experience........
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby BasketballKid » Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 am

I like thompson in region 2 feel like they have some great up and coming talent. Their Juniors next year will be good, even some of the incoming sophomores will be GREAT. I think 3 of their JV players will get varsity minutes this year. Grafton will make noise this year too.
Last edited by BasketballKid on Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballKid
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby winner-within » Mon May 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Thinking even further there has been no mention of Park River-Fordville-Lankin with the Region 2 talk....they are going to be very respectable also....there was a Player (Skavhaug) that didn't play due to injury this past season that will be back as a senior I believe and this will make them even more salty........so Region 2 will be very competitive I believe come the 17-18 season with a handful of teams...........
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby Sparty48 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:Region 1- Richland (Toss up between them and Oak Grove, need to play Man to Man D)
Region 2- Thompson (I'd be very surprised if Thompson doesn't make it out of the region this year)
Region 3- Linton-HMB (Don't really know who would give them a challenge, possibly Carrington)
Region 4- St. John (I know Four Winds doesn't rebuild, they reload, but I think St. John has all the pieces)
Region 5- Shiloh (I don't think there will be much standing in their way this year)
Region 6- Bishop Ryan (Not from the area, but they competed pretty well at state without their best player)
Region 7- Beulah (Don't lose too much from last years team that almost got out of the region)
Region 8- Stanley (Should make it out of the region, but to really make a run at state they need to learn to run their offense from the inside out, from what I saw at state there were too many empty possessions because they would shoot the three out of rhythm without working it inside or drive and kick)

I think for Region 1 Oak Grove will win, but Richland is going to be very young, but very good athletes idk if they will be ready this year. Unless they find the groove they got in last year winning 10 games in a row at the end..
Sparty48
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby scout_101 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 am

senditin wrote:
winner-within wrote:"Way too early" says it best..

But I will say St. John barring injuries in Football etc etc should roll outta R. 4
Region 2 I say will be very competitive with
Hatton/Northwood
Thompson
HCV
Cavalier
Grafton
even this past year even though HCV had there run and won it all, they still were tied going into the Region Tournament with Thompson and Grafton right on their heals and then beat Thompson by a bucket to head to Minot....
when you lose a player like Schwabe in any of the 3 sports Baseball, Football, Basketball you've lost 2 players IMO but like said above they return good talent with size too....Cavalier lost their experienced Coach right before the season and with that said I think it went as good as it possibly could have in hindsight with his replacement, had they not lost their coach I think they they would have been a 5 or 6 seed maybe even 4 vs 8 going into the region tourn. Coaching position is once again open and depending on that Cav has the pieces....HN has good coach and his son with a good supporting cast....HCV returns talent and size although young at the guard positions....saving the most interesting for last I say Grafton will be banging on all 8 cylinders if they stay healthy and I believe they will be a tough tough out....Oh, and I think Larimore will be very respectable too!

the other 6 Regions?
its not only early but I don't get out much so I have no Idea... :D

St. John will not roll out of region 4. FWM loses alot but the cupboard is far from bare. Who in region 4 is gonna stop Charlie Black? Dedrick Robertson would have been 6th man but he was hurt, he's a guard who is very fast. Doug Yankton is ready to breakout. Throw in a slew of athletic players like Frank Gourd, Gionni Robertson, Pernell Jackson and Fred Redfox. Plus Bronson Walter, 6'9" gonna be 9th grade and maybe an all district transfer from another region. They aren't going to be unanimous number 1 in the polls but I for one am not going to be surprised if they are back at the state tournament.



Not to mention the younger Redfox playing also. Fw/m loses alot but so does St. John. Its going to come down to who is the better defensive team. Should be a fun upcoming year.
scout_101
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby CentralCity » Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 pm

FWM will be very solid again. I think St. John will come out of the region because of all the threats they will have. McGillis, Prouty, and Defender was just a freshman this year and was a beast against FWM. Definitely will be a battle
CentralCity
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby cntrfthrs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:54 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:Region 1- Richland (Toss up between them and Oak Grove, need to play Man to Man D)
Region 2- Thompson (I'd be very surprised if Thompson doesn't make it out of the region this year)
Region 3- Linton-HMB (Don't really know who would give them a challenge, possibly Carrington)
Region 4- St. John (I know Four Winds doesn't rebuild, they reload, but I think St. John has all the pieces)
Region 5- Shiloh (I don't think there will be much standing in their way this year)
Region 6- Bishop Ryan (Not from the area, but they competed pretty well at state without their best player)
Region 7- Beulah (Don't lose too much from last years team that almost got out of the region)
Region 8- Stanley (Should make it out of the region, but to really make a run at state they need to learn to run their offense from the inside out, from what I saw at state there were too many empty possessions because they would shoot the three out of rhythm without working it inside or drive and kick)


I'm in region 8 and will always be a Parshall Braves fan but i think this coming year, the region is stanley's to lose...New Town might be tough but stanley's got the tools (imo) to win the region and possibly win it all...they got hustling guards and if their center improves his shooting game, wyatt hanson's the icing on the cake...that kid can play ball.....the blue jays have good size with both Hansons and also some underclassmen...I'm going out on a limb and say the blue jays are in contention to win it all this coming year...
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 am

Take it with a grain of salt, but this summer Richland went to Bismarck with six kids 2 juniors and 4 sophmores. Beat Shiloh by 25, Parshall by 40 and some other team by 50.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Way Too Early 2017-18

Postby OLDBBfAN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:36 pm

I believe Region 8 will not be a one team race. Watford City finished the season very strong and are returning everyone except one player (they were a very young team). If i remember right Stanley won that regional game by one point. Also i believe this is WC last year in class B so that should be extra motivation. Also North/Plaza had a very nice team last year and they are returning what i believe is the best big man in that region.
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:52 pm


Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest