Shot Clock

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Shot Clock

Postby BaseballForLife » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 am

i dont really like the whole stalling thing either...but idk i guess teams are just playing the game smart...they might not wanna risk anything with a slim lead and not much time left
BaseballForLife

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:30 pm

baseball wrote:
football_1 wrote:i would be in full support of a shot clock therefore teams wouldn't be able to kill a whole minute

all the talk aobut this whole topic over dozens of threads and thats still the only arguement??

Thats because it is a great arguement and it is not the "only" one.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Don't normally frequent the Class B board, as I normally follow Class A, but just thought I'd throw my .02 in. Obviously the shot clock is a touchy subject, and I'm not trying to say what to do...Class B needs to decide for themselves if it would help their game or hurt it. I will say though, after watching Class A play with the clock for a number of years now, here are my observations: (take them for what they are worth)

1. The flow of the game has improved greatly from "pre-shot clock" days. It's not neccessarity run and gun, but its not a slow down game either - its just a nice flow.
2. The shot clock rewards good defense. Defensive energy is improved as the players know that if they bust their tails for 25 seconds, they will have forced a difficult shot for their opponent. Still have to box out and rebound of course, but good defense is rewarded.
3. More variety. I've seen coaches play multiple defenses over the course of the game as a strategy - no longer can the offense run an offense for 20 seconds before realizing the defense has switched (say from man to zone or whatever) and then pull it out and reset. Playing multiple defenses puts a lot of pressure on both the offensive point guard to realize immediately what offense to run, and also the other coach to recognize immediately as well and help his team out. I realize teams switch defenses now without the shot clock, but there is really no payoff for it. With the shot clock, if you switch defenses and the other team doesn't recognize it right away, by the time they figure it out, they may be down to under ten seconds on the shot clock.
4. From a coaching standpoint, it takes the pressure off of blowout games. Coaches had to decide when to call the dogs off, or get accused of running it up, whatever. With the shotclock, both coaches know that teams aren't neccessarily trying to run it up, they just have to keep playing.

OK, thats what I see from the Class A game. Like I said, I'm not saying A is better than B or anything like that at all, its just that the shot clock has really been a positive thing for class A.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys