Underclassman

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Underclassman

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm

I know its Class B and that the lack of numbers are going to force teams to throw young inexperienced kids on the floor. but is it jsut me or does it seem like Freshman and Sophomores, even some junior high kids are on varsity teams, are bigger parts of the team then they were 10 years ago? this might be with the declining participation too. just would like to hear some other thoughts on this?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Re: Underclassman

Postby bradyg » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm not going to lie, declining enrollment has some part to this , but I also think it's also due to the fact that there are less "old-school" coaches out there. My dad told me that when he was a freshman, they played the senior class in practice and beat them. The only reason they didn't get to play in varsity games was due to the fact that the coaches thought it was the seniors god-given right to play before a freshman. I think a lot of coaches are also realizing that if they have a heavy senior class that aren't winning, it's best to play younger kids in order to build more experience and have a winning team in the future. A lot of the teams that make it to state aren't just seniors and juniors who are suddenly playing due to a graduating upper class, these teams are made up of players who played as freshman and sophomores because they were good.
bradyg

Postby HB_2 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 pm

josh cluchie from cav
HB_2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Lights Out2 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 pm

HB_2 wrote:josh cluchie from cav

Hes a stud alright.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
Lights Out2
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 am

It's all enrollment. Today, how many "B" schools can have a freshman, JV and varsity team. Most are forced to offer only two teams. Football is even harder for schools to offer three teams.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys