Eye in the Sky

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Eye in the Sky

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 am

Have often wondered if a 3 person reffing crew is any better than a 2 person crew. It's getting slow on here and just for discussion purposes, what do you think of having 2 officials on the floor and one off court, either above in stands or press box, etc.

Here are some pros:
1. Without a doubt, a higher vantage point is beneficial.
2. Some have mentioned a shortage of refs. This could utilize people who would not be able to physically run up and down the court.
3. Perhaps only be used in discrepancy issues. Also for clock issues, etc. Much easier to view last second shots, etc. from higher vantage point.

Here are some cons:
1. Would need method of quick conversation (radio, earphones).
2. Finding a reasonable spot in each gym. Away from distraction.

This isn't about bashing officials. Just for discussion purposes.
Last edited by classB4ever on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Eye in the Sky

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 am

The 3 ref crew on the floor is beneficial for the game. The only thing I wish they would get away from is the "it's not my call/area", but I think it's turning out to be better than the 2 man crew. I do think they should have someone not on the floor be able to help with timing issues, if the ball hits the shot clock etc... Good idea!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 am

I like the 3 person crews much better. We played a game in SD this season with a 2 man crew and it was no where near as good as a game with a 3 man crew. I think the game has gotten faster and a 3 man crew helps them keep up with the game (especially the older refs). I don't see us going back to 2 man crews unless there is an extreme shortage of officials.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:21 am

The Schwab wrote:The 3 ref crew on the floor is beneficial for the game. The only thing I wish they would get away from is the "it's not my call/area", but I think it's turning out to be better than the 2 man crew. I do think they should have someone not on the floor be able to help with timing issues, if the ball hits the shot clock etc... Good idea!

I'd like to see them get that confused at our school. Our shot clock is on the wall.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:51 pm

I do not think an eye in the sky is needed. I think it would be expensive and be more of a hindrance to the game.

I think NFHS does a good job with the rules.

NFHS rules allow for a state association to permit the use replay during state championship series contests to determine if a scored goal at the expiration of time in the 4th quarter or OT should count and if it is a 2 or 3.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm

The Schwab wrote:The 3 ref crew on the floor is beneficial for the game. The only thing I wish they would get away from is the "it's not my call/area", but I think it's turning out to be better than the 2 man crew. I do think they should have someone not on the floor be able to help with timing issues, if the ball hits the shot clock etc... Good idea!

I do not think "it is not my call/area" is necessarily a bad response to a coach but should be followed up with "i will ask my partner what he saw". Coaches need to pick their moments to ask a question. The center official, table side, is not going to see a foul or violation in the opposite corner. If a coach yells at the C for missing something there then the coach has some learning to do.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:09 pm

classB4ever wrote:Have often wondered if a 3 person reffing crew is any better than a 2 person crew. It's getting slow on here and just for discussion purposes, what do you think of having 2 officials on the floor and one off court, either above in stands or press box, etc.

Here are some pros:
1. Without a doubt, a higher vantage point is beneficial.
2. Some have mentioned a shortage of refs. This could utilize people who would not be able to physically run up and down the court.
3. Perhaps only be used in discrepancy issues. Also for clock issues, etc. Much easier to view last second shots, etc. from higher vantage point.

Here are some cons:
1. Would need method of quick conversation (radio, earphones).
2. Finding a reasonable spot in each gym. Away from distraction.

This isn't about bashing officials. Just for discussion purposes.

I feel 3 officials on the floor is just fine. Refs are not going to see everything that happens in a game. They are not supposed to. Refs who think they have to call everything guess at times and I would rather them not guess.

2-man crew is great for a run and gun type of game. Less whistles because there should be less off the ball fouls due to less coverage. Typically more physical game.

3-man crew is great for maximum floor coverage. Should be more fouls called because of the better floor coverage.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Return to Basketball - Class B