There's no such thing as "Over the back"

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

There's no such thing as "Over the back"

Postby ItsJustaSport » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Dear fans,

While I sit in the stands watching game after game this year, I hear the common complaint of a call not being called. "OVER THE BACK" people will yell. Well, I hate to tell you but "over the back" doesn't exist. It isnt a call. Here is a great article that explains the myths of "over the back" and why it isn't a foul and what really is a foul.

Enjoy. http://www.infosports.com/basketball/arch/2287.htm
ItsJustaSport
NDPreps Rookie

Re: There's no such thing as "Over the back"

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm

This topic has been discussed numerous times on this site.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I LOVE this topic because it could be talked about a million times and people still do not seem to understand that the call doesn't exist. I heard people yell from the stands all weekend also, and I am tired of people yelling when they don't even know what they are talking about. One year my uncle informed a man that yelled over the back every two seconds that the call did not exist, this guys goes on to tell my uncle he has been a official for 20 years and that its a call. Wow the rules need to be looked at closer to make sure the game is called correctly!
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Coach's need to understand the rules better too. I don't know how many times I hear "that's over the back...that's a foul" during a season; either at the JH level or HS level. There must be contact for a foul to be called...

http://www.ihoops.com/training-room/off ... -myths.htm
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Coach's need to understand the rules better too. I don't know how many times I hear "that's over the back...that's a foul" during a season; either at the JH level or HS level. There must be contact for a foul to be called...

Very true I saw a lot of times this season coaches wanting fouls called when their player did not box out the opposing team, so the opposing player just jumped straight up and grabbed the ball. Nice to get everyone on the same page. Thanks for the comment.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Kwoods wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Coach's need to understand the rules better too. I don't know how many times I hear "that's over the back...that's a foul" during a season; either at the JH level or HS level. There must be contact for a foul to be called...

Very true I saw a lot of times this season coaches wanting fouls called when their player did not box out the opposing team, so the opposing player just jumped straight up and grabbed the ball. Nice to get everyone on the same page. Thanks for the comment.

I don't think it is the case of coaches(and some fans) not knowing the rule..."over the back" may be the same as saying "Ref, my guy/gal boxed out and the opposing player pushed my player while both were in the air and my player had verticality as well."

A taller or airborn player can certainly go over the top of someone (to grab a ball) without making contact and that should be a non-call every time.

I would think, in some gyms, you will also hear "get him/her off of us" instead of "over the back"...I have also heard a lot of coaches say "box out and we get that call".

Thoughts?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:42 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:I don't think it is the case of coaches(and some fans) not knowing the rule..."over the back" may be the same as saying "Ref, my guy/gal boxed out and the opposing player pushed my player while both were in the air and my player had verticality as well."

THIS. Yes, there are many fans that are idiots, but because you say "over the back" doesn't mean you don't know the rules. According to OP you should only ask for "hold" or "push" if you want a foul called. I'm sure "hand check" isn't a rule, but if a coach asks an official isn't that a "hand check" the official knows exactly what you're talking about.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Was watching Louisville and Wichita State play and Rick Patino was screaming "AND 1!" Doesn't he know "and 1" isn't in rule book? Surprised he's getting into the basketball hall of fame.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am

MNTwinsFan wrote:
Kwoods wrote:

I don't think it is the case of coaches(and some fans) not knowing the rule..."over the back" may be the same as saying "Ref, my guy/gal boxed out and the opposing player pushed my player while both were in the air and my player had verticality as well."

A taller or airborn player can certainly go over the top of someone (to grab a ball) without making contact and that should be a non-call every time.

I would think, in some gyms, you will also hear "get him/her off of us" instead of "over the back"...I have also heard a lot of coaches say "box out and we get that call".

Thoughts?

I agree with the box out we will get the call, that is what I taught my junior high girls all season when they would try and complain about they are fouling me. I always say it would be a foul if you successfully boxed them out.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Return to Basketball - Class B