Mr. Basketball

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Basketball

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm

well not that i agree with your analysis, I can see where you are coming from
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby newkidontheblock » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Understandable. The senior class of Region 7 is an exceptionally above average senior class. There are several more seniors who are outstanding ball players- possibly even all-state caliber. Those 3 seem a clear cut above the rest to me and to try to distinguish them is definitely a case of splitting hairs.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DBA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Volk showed some very impressive athletisism tonight against Beulah. After watching Beulah vs Hazen and Beulah vs Trinity I have a hard time putting Carr on the same level as Volk and Zacher (when talking basketball at least). I'd put Hettich above Carr too.
DBA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DBA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm

but no doubt Carr is very athletic too, a good basketball player, and a great high school football player
DBA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby newkidontheblock » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:11 pm

DBA wrote:Volk showed some very impressive athletisism tonight against Beulah. After watching Beulah vs Hazen and Beulah vs Trinity I have a hard time putting Carr on the same level as Volk and Zacher (when talking basketball at least). I'd put Hettich above Carr too.

I didn't make the game last night; I'll have to download the webcast, but I can't throw Carr aside so quickly. Remember, this is the Carr that scored 28 points against Beulah last year in the regional semi-finals; a game that Hazen only lost by 3.

That means Hazen played the state champions as tough in the post-season as both North Star and Trinity did- all on the back of Stetson Carr who didn't and doesn't have nearly the supporting cast that Volk and Zacher do.

Due respect to Jesse Hettich, who is tremendously athletic, very long, and a great defender, but he gets many opportunistic points while the defense is worried about Zacher, Nelson, etc... Carr doesn't have that luxury. IMO Hettich can be entered into a conversation of the 4th best player in the region along with several, several others, but those other three are a cut above.

This is a fun discussion of Region 7 but a moot point in regard to the topic. Haglar is the #1 Class B candidate for Mr. Basketball.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
DBA wrote:Volk showed some very impressive athletisism tonight against Beulah. After watching Beulah vs Hazen and Beulah vs Trinity I have a hard time putting Carr on the same level as Volk and Zacher (when talking basketball at least). I'd put Hettich above Carr too.

I didn't make the game last night; I'll have to download the webcast, but I can't throw Carr aside so quickly. Remember, this is the Carr that scored 28 points against Beulah last year in the regional semi-finals; a game that Hazen only lost by 3.

That means Hazen played the state champions as tough in the post-season as both North Star and Trinity did- all on the back of Stetson Carr who didn't and doesn't have nearly the supporting cast that Volk and Zacher do.

Due respect to Jesse Hettich, who is tremendously athletic, very long, and a great defender, but he gets many opportunistic points while the defense is worried about Zacher, Nelson, etc... Carr doesn't have that luxury. IMO Hettich can be entered into a conversation of the 4th best player in the region along with several, several others, but those other three are a cut above.

This is a fun discussion of Region 7 but a moot point in regard to the topic. Haglar is the #1 Class B candidate for Mr. Basketball.

Well said, I agree. Its Haglar or Jacobson for Mr. Basketball, as I stated on here before I believe Haglar is better. Mertens from DL is also having a nice year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gominers » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:

Hazen had a much better team last year than this year. Most of the seniors on last years team played a lot as sophomores. To say Hazen played Beulah close in the regional tournament primarily because of Carr is a huge insult to the many very good seniors that were on that team. Athletically, Carr is with or maybe above Zacher and Volk (he's definately faster than Zacher), but he's not with them as a basketball player.

As far as Mr. Basketball, my vote would be for Jacobsen. He creates more matchup problems than Haglar. If its a career award, Haglar probably gets it though.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

gominers wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote:

Hazen had a much better team last year than this year. Most of the seniors on last years team played a lot as sophomores. To say Hazen played Beulah close in the regional tournament primarily because of Carr is a huge insult to the many very good seniors that were on that team. Athletically, Carr is with or maybe above Zacher and Volk (he's definately faster than Zacher), but he's not with them as a basketball player.

As far as Mr. Basketball, my vote would be for Jacobsen. He creates more matchup problems than Haglar. If its a career award, Haglar probably gets it though.

Carr doesnt get a lot of credit for his defensive aspect of the game. I think he is a better defender than Hagler, Zacher, or Volk. Everytime Beulah plays Hazen, Zacher doesnt get close to 20 points because Carr guards him throughout the game. Carr held Zacher to 11 last week the problem is though that Beulah has so many more weapons to choose from.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby ILoveBaseball21 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING......IF Lingen from Moorhead played in North Dakota, would he win Mr. Basketball?
ILoveBaseball21
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 pm

ILoveBaseball21 wrote:HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING......IF Lingen from Moorhead played in North Dakota, would he win Mr. Basketball?

Do you mean Lien?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Impossible to say. The best player from North Dakota hasn't won in years, so maybe.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ILoveBaseball21 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 am

yeah i didn't know how to speel his name.
ILoveBaseball21
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:58 am

Anyone have any ideas who will be Mr. Basketball now that we are in the post season?
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm

I don't see Jacobson losing.

26.5 points per game - 2nd in Class A
3.4 offensive rebounds per game - 1st in Class A
12.9 rebounds per game - 1st in Class A
5.4 assists per game - 5th in Class A
2.6 blocks per game - 2nd in Class A
2.8 steals per game - 1st in Class A

Also leads the EDC in free throw percentages and is 9th in field goal percentage.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gominers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I think Jacobson should win, but I think Hagler will win. I think it becomes a sentimental vote for his career instead of going to the best player.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm

I could see Hagler winning I guess. Is he better than Zacher, Kroeplin, Collins, or Mertens? With all of these guys, I think they are relatively close, and AJ has seperated himself a bit from the pack.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gominers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I think Jacobson is the best player. I'm not sure about the rest, but Zacher's numbers won't come close to Hagler's. I'm not sure he's averaging 20 ppg. In reality, a lot of these year end awards are numbers based because the voters haven't seen everyone play. How many Mr. Basketball voter saw Lanstaff play last year?
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 am

balla45 wrote:I could see Hagler winning I guess. Is he better than Zacher, Kroeplin, Collins, or Mertens? With all of these guys, I think they are relatively close, and AJ has seperated himself a bit from the pack.

Anyone know where some of these guys are going to play next year? Assuming they want to play BB in college.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 am

AJ Jacobson - North Dakota State University
Erron Collins & Trevor Zacher - South Dakota School of Mines and Technology

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ILoveBaseball21 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 pm

balla45 wrote:I don't see Jacobson losing.

26.5 points per game - 2nd in Class A
3.4 offensive rebounds per game - 1st in Class A
12.9 rebounds per game - 1st in Class A
5.4 assists per game - 5th in Class A
2.6 blocks per game - 2nd in Class A
2.8 steals per game - 1st in Class A

Also leads the EDC in free throw percentages and is 9th in field goal percentage.

Who is first in scoring?
ILoveBaseball21
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Nate Mertens.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 pm

I think it is surprising that there is seven finalists. I think that they are all deserving but we usually don't have that many. I think AJ Jacobson is going to runaway with the award. I have a question for balla45: Who do you think is the best player in class B this year? I am probably wrong, but I would have to go Jacob Volk.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 am

Tough one. I can see arguments for all three. There really isn't a clear cut answer, but I would go with Zacher. Hagler, Volk, and Zacher are all very impressive high school players though. I like Zacher the most as a higher level prospect, but I believe both Hagler and Volk have the potential for very solid college careers.

Also, not surprised to see all of the candidates.

Mertens had crazy numbers. Kroeplin returning all state champion. AJ has the best overall stats. Collins represents the WDA. Hagler and Volk both returning all staters. Zacher returning champion.

Long list but I think it is a good list.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Going into this year I thought Hagler should get Mr. Basketball but after watching AJ Jacobson this year I think he should get it. In AJs case he has better stats than Hagler and he is playing against tougher competition. Hagler may have had one of the greatest class B careers ever, starting varsity for 5 years, going to 3 state tournaments, winning 1 state championship, scoring over 2,000 points, and 3 years first team All-State. I think AJ wins it but it will be very close. IMO either of these two players would have easily won it last year.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Been a Hagler fan since he's been starting in 8th Grade. At the beginning of the year, I thought he was a shoe in for Mr. Basketball even though I felt AJ was the better player. After the season has been completed, there is no doubt in my mind that Mr. Basketball SHOULD be AJ Jacobson. We'll find out tonight! I agree Sniper...They both could've won it last year! Not to discount the talent of the other 5 guys because they are some incredible players, but this is really a two horse race right now.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Basketball - Class B