Feelings on Parochial schools?

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Feelings on Parochial schools?

Postby mags » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

Im all for private schools
Indy nails it right on the head here, what people from rural small towns that are big class B fans need to understand is that the ND private school supporters and kids are not choosing whether to go to trinity over going to hazen and its not Shiloh over washburn, they are choosing to go to shiloh over Bismarck high! and let me tell you most all of these private schools let the kids take classes at the major class A school if the big school has a class that the private school doesnt offer, and there are some MAJOR WEIRD kids at these massive schools. (hair color, piercings, tattoes, inappropriate clothing) Also kids from north dakotas major cities have a much lower chance of getting involved with the wrong crowd and they are able to stay out of trouble better when they attend a smaller religion based school. And I think everyone in this forum can agree that you cant beat a class B enviroment for school with class size, and the fact that you can have a close relationship with about the whole school. So private schools give big town kids a chance for that type of schooling if they want it.
Also like indy said, yes public school kids can have faith in their life. But the private school kid, that might not otherwise care experiences it every day multiple times.
In case class A supporter reads this comment, "yes i know little jimmy is a great kid" im just saying there is lots of kids that are a bit off.

God Bless, Go Tebow!
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby MarkyMark » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I just like a small school that gets their students involved in everything. That is one one of the reasons I send my kids to Oak Grove.

Why not look at the existence of private schools as a compliment to Class B and the opportunities you get as a student in a small ND school?

Oak Grove has done well in boys basketball but I attritute that to the program built by Steve Carnal and Kyle Card. We have been fortunate to have these two very good coaches lead OG for the past 4 decades.
MarkyMark
NDPreps Rookie

Postby SportsYearRound » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Indy5 wrote:Ok, yes children in the public schools can have God in their life, what some people have tried to point out is that it is much easier when your in a religious environment all day. This also leads to the average kid having more of a relationship with God than the average kid at a public school. This is just my opinion but does this not seem reasonable that the kid exposed more would be more likely to have God in their life more?

My feelings on them are positive. I think it is nice that they can offer an environment with smaller classes while still having the advantages of being in a bigger city. I personal am glad I attended one, and will most likely send my kids to one. I think it's a better alternative than the large public schools (talking about class A schools) that are halfways a circus with that many kids.

Also, Schwab, I would say that some private schools are run cheaper than public schools. On average, it costs $7,000 to send a kid to public school. There are private schools that are more than that, and there are some that are less than that. Do donations get big? Maybe. I know Shanley gets a lot of money from donors. That is also why the school looks the way it does. People can donate to public schools too, no? So I don't really think that's a fair argument to use.

I agree with Indy on this one. As a Christian, I wish we had more Christian schools in North Dakota. I do think that Christian schools are very advantageous for the body of Christ to utilize. They aren't so politically correct. Teachers and students seem to be closer. Student peers seem to have healthier relationships and lifestyles. They also get the chance to incorporate God into learning which every Christian can agree is a plus. Then like Mark said, these schools seem to excel at getting kids involved which I feel is so important for life lessons.

With all that said, I understand that there are many mainstream public school-religion entanglement misconceptions, but that's a whole other argument. I know many Christians who attend public schools. Sadly, it's becoming more and more difficult to live out a Christian life in the public realm.
SportsYearRound
NDPreps Starter

Postby leanhnam220 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:35 pm

This topic is interesting Tiny Tanks Unblocked :lol:
leanhnam220
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HammerTime » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:45 pm

leanhnam220 wrote:This topic is interesting Tiny Tanks Unblocked :lol:

Please don't get this started. I can see where this could go if it starts up. We do not want to have a conversation about religion, high school kids that might reject it, and the implications it will have on sports. This won't end well.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Old Drifter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:55 am

I never thought this topic was about religion but about parochial/private schools like oak grove, trinity Christian, Shiloh Christian, minot ryan being in class B...I have no problem whether a school is Christian or not...this is America...we're all free to be what we want to be...MY problem is these schools being able to draw from a much larger pool of atheletes then a small class B town...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:54 pm

I feel the same way its not about the religious factor when it comes to these schools. I teach at a small public school that has to make a team out of whoever comes out for basketball in our small town. These schools that are based in Class A towns get the athletes that don't have the skills the Class A schools are looking for so they attend a church school so they can play varsity. These athletes also have Class A town amenities like YMCA, gyms, personal trainer programs in their town when the small schools have to drive a great distance to use these types of facilities. I have known throughout my life time at least a few siblings that one has attended the Class A school and the other has attended the church school seems weird to me you would want your children going to different schools. If its about the quality of education then why wouldn't you want both of your children receiving the "so called" higher education at the church school?
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Kwoods wrote:I feel the same way its not about the religious factor when it comes to these schools. I teach at a small public school that has to make a team out of whoever comes out for basketball in our small town. These schools that are based in Class A towns get the athletes that don't have the skills the Class A schools are looking for so they attend a church school so they can play varsity. These athletes also have Class A town amenities like YMCA, gyms, personal trainer programs in their town when the small schools have to drive a great distance to use these types of facilities. I have known throughout my life time at least a few siblings that one has attended the Class A school and the other has attended the church school seems weird to me you would want your children going to different schools. If its about the quality of education then why wouldn't you want both of your children receiving the "so called" higher education at the church school?

Multiple reasons could cause this. Maybe One kid got bullied so they let them switch schools to get away from a bad situation. Maybe one school was a better academic fit for one kid but not the other because of different interests or abilities. Maybe the parents are divorced with the kids split between the two parents living in different parts of town with friends that went to different schools, so they did as well.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Working in a school system myself not many times you find a star athlete being bullied by students. Being able to choose in a big town the school you want to attend is the Class A advantage. Students who attend smaller schools don't have the opportunity to attend another school in their town if their parents get divorced. These are Class A towns but not Minneapolis drive time or location near the school isn't a factor.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Kwoods wrote:Working in a school system myself not many times you find a star athlete being bullied by students. Being able to choose in a big town the school you want to attend is the Class A advantage. Students who attend smaller schools don't have the opportunity to attend another school in their town if their parents get divorced. These are Class A towns but not Minneapolis drive time or location near the school isn't a factor.

No one said anything about star athletes. The question was why siblings would be split between a public and private school, so I gave some real world examples that I've seen myself.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:20 pm

Point I making was they move to these schools because they are talented but not quit talented enough to be a starter on a class A team maybe like a 6th or 7th man so they move to these private schools and are the best player on the floor.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Pit Bull » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Kwoods wrote:Point I making was they move to these schools because they are talented but not quit talented enough to be a starter on a class A team maybe like a 6th or 7th man so they move to these private schools and are the best player on the floor.

I would say this is true in a lot of cases. Shiloh's best player would have started for Bismarck High's basketball team both his Junior and Senior year. In this case it was parent's wanting a kid to have a Christian education and a small school environment. This example is not the norm, but I would guess there are other talented kids whose parents want the small school environment and Christian education. Not to leave out the challenging curriculum, which surpasses a lot of public schools.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:20 am

I have my mixed opinions on this. I definitely agree with many things said on here about it, though. One, they are in Class A towns. They do have more resources a lot closer to home than most Class B schools do. Two, yes some kids have went to these schools based on the fact that they wouldn't start at a Class A school or play for that matter. On the other side of this, we're grouping a large number of kids into one conversation here. There are many reasons why kids attend these schools, like Mandan said. Isn't always about athletics. Also, a lot of these kids' parents went to that same school and they would be going there regardless of athletic ability just because that's where their parents want them to be. Lots of these kids start in those schools as early as possible. Again, yes, some transfer in very late. It's tough though, I went to a class B school within 75 miles of a Class A town. I played against some of these schools. I've coached against them. One thing I will say is that if they weren't as successful year after year, I really don't think we'd be talking about it. It wouldn't matter. Bishop Ryan was down in Boy's Bball for a few years before 2016 and no one was complaining about them. You really didn't hear much about them. Their girl's team got bashed all the time. Fargo Oak Grove had a down year this year and I literally heard nothing about them until now because they won a few games in Super Regionals. It's always going to bother people because they're either continuously successful, or when they do have down years, they certainly bounce back a lot faster than other Class B schools.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:21 am

There's more to going to a school than athletics of course, but these teams are too prevalent in region championships and state tournaments. I think we have to consider an alternative at some point. Good for the kids--they earn it, but at some point they'll need their own division as more and more of these schools open.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:29 pm

How many parochial schools are their in ND that play varsity basketball.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Kwoods » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:52 am

Class B : Fargo Oak Grove, Shiloh Christian, Dickinson Trinity, Williston Trinity Christian, Minot Ryan, Our Redeemers

Class A: Fargo Shanley, Bismarck St. Mary's (I think that is it)
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Mon May 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Since I'm new here, Ill give my .02

Im going to use class B basketball as an example. When kids are not good enough to get significant playing time at a class A high school, they often times end up at a class B private school. Hey...they're good athletes and want to play...I don't blame them or the parents. This gives private schools a huge advantage over the typical small town class B school.

Are they recruited? Is the tuition paid for? In some cases yes...( i know for a fact) but honestly who cares? The school wants a winning program and its not illegal...but also not fair. The system is broke.

My solution.. private schools should have their own tournaments or playoffs. No need for new districts or regions, they can keep their regular opponents every year, then when tournament time starts-private schools move into their own tournament. All other class B team seedings can be adjusted accordingly. Private schools all get a bid in their own state tourney. If we want, the winner of the B can play the winner of the privates.Too harsh? I dont think so at all.

Its no fluke that out of 120ish class B teams in North Dakota - the 8 or so private schools usually have 2 or 3 teams of the state tourney.(and if Ryan and Our Redeemers weren't in the same region, that would probably be a higher percentage). Its the most coveted trophy in the state, don't tell me private schools do not go to great lengths to obtain it by taking advantage of the system. Lets keep the trophy for small town North Dakota--where it belongs.

Ill say it again, the system is broke.

Fire away.....
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon May 08, 2017 1:46 pm

spins wrote: Im going to use class B basketball as an example. When kids are not good enough to get significant playing time at a class A high school, they often times end up at a class B private school. Hey...they're good athletes and want to play...I don't blame them or the parents. This gives private schools a huge advantage over the typical small town class B school.

This has been brought up before and someone (probably me) asked how often this happens. The only examples given were at OG where 1 or 2 kids went there and actually didn't contribute much IIRC.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby spins » Mon May 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Im not going to name the school(s) or the kids because i know them and the parents.
You could research when these varsity starters for this years private schools joined that school. You will find a good percent of them were freshman when they started to attend.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon May 08, 2017 2:35 pm

spins wrote:Im not going to name the school(s) or the kids because i know them and the parents.
You could research when these varsity starters for this years private schools joined that school. You will find a good percent of them were freshman when they started to attend.

name some. You are anonymous on here, and what you are claiming isn't anything anyone should be ashamed of. I really don't think it happens often. I am really only have knowledge regarding Oak Grove.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Im not giving names or schools. You can chose to believe me or not. Sorry if that comes across poorly.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby tmd33643 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am

spins wrote:When kids are not good enough to get significant playing time at a class A high school, they often times end up at a class B private school. Hey...they're good athletes and want to play...I don't blame them or the parents. This gives private schools a huge advantage over the typical small town class B school.

In Shiloh's history, only a handful of students have moved from a class A school to Shiloh because they were not getting enough playing time at the class A school. The few times this has happened, the player who moved was not good enough to get much playing time at Shiloh either. So really, Shiloh gets NO players to help the varsity from class A schools. I can't speak up for the other parochial schools but I know this doesn't happen at Shiloh.

I'm not saying Shiloh doesn't have an advantage over other class b schools. They certainly do as they do have other gyms like the YMCA to go to. There are also plenty of different basketball camps and leagues to participate in or even just playing pick-up games with other kids at the YMCA for that matter. Also, while Shiloh doesn't get students moving in from class A schools, they do get students moving from small class b towns to Bismarck who want to stay class b. I think its quite obvious that private schools have an advantage over class b towns. My point was really just that Shiloh and I suspect most other parochial schools do not get students from class A schools transferring over since they didn't get enough playing time at the class A school.
tmd33643
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm

tmd33643 wrote:
spins wrote:When kids are not good enough to get significant playing time at a class A high school, they often times end up at a class B private school. Hey...they're good athletes and want to play...I don't blame them or the parents. This gives private schools a huge advantage over the typical small town class B school.

In Shiloh's history, only a handful of students have moved from a class A school to Shiloh because they were not getting enough playing time at the class A school. The few times this has happened, the player who moved was not good enough to get much playing time at Shiloh either. So really, Shiloh gets NO players to help the varsity from class A schools. I can't speak up for the other parochial schools but I know this doesn't happen at Shiloh.

I'm not saying Shiloh doesn't have an advantage over other class b schools. They certainly do as they do have other gyms like the YMCA to go to. There are also plenty of different basketball camps and leagues to participate in or even just playing pick-up games with other kids at the YMCA for that matter. Also, while Shiloh doesn't get students moving in from class A schools, they do get students moving from small class b towns to Bismarck who want to stay class b. I think its quite obvious that private schools have an advantage over class b towns. My point was really just that Shiloh and I suspect most other parochial schools do not get students from class A schools transferring over since they didn't get enough playing time at the class A school.

Do you think there are many Class B schools that have kids recruit them from Africa, come over, and then live in the asst coaches basement ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:23 pm

packers21 wrote:
tmd33643 wrote:

Do you think there are many Class B schools that have kids recruit them from Africa, come over, and then live in the asst coaches basement ?

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4323760-a ... ng-journey

You are talking Ogbu but this article is about two friends (including Ogbu) that escaped H*LL over in Africa. This was life-saving to just get them out of Nigeria; the family that took both students in knew nothing of their athletic ability. Packers21...Please read the article...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
tmd33643 wrote:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4323760-a ... ng-journey

You are talking Ogbu but this article is about two friends (including Ogbu) that escaped H*LL over in Africa. This was life-saving to just get them out of Nigeria; the family that took both students in knew nothing of their athletic ability. Please read the article...

I’ve read it
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball - Class B