Mandan girl's BB

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Strike3? » Mon May 22, 2006 5:37 pm

ndplayer wrote:Why is he supposed to never lose games?  Every coach in the world loses games, even the best of all time.  You are ridiculus.  He may not be playing candice parker or lisa leslie, but he also doesnt have them on his team.  So he has players go D1, what's ur point?  Mandan isn't the only school to have D1 players.  Name one high school coach who is better.

well ndplayer, there is no high school coach better. Amundson is the best coach by far in North Dakota history.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jrh22 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Ditka14 wrote:If people are stuff about recruiting then why isn't BHS boys beening brought up for recruiting. Drew Hendrickson played st. mary's his hole life then out of no were when there team is crap he desides hes going to play for the demons? Thats all in the same catogry as alll the other mandan talks. You guys all need to realize that for girls in mandan all they want to do is play basketball and be champions and all bismarck wants to do is try to compete against the braves and stay within a 20 point margin!!! Amundson runs a program like no other and coachs around the state just aren't as dedicated and that just it.

DO you remember how bhs beats mandan in almost every boys sport!! yeah thats right and which has more respect and brings more attention!! thats right its boys again..
Last edited by jrh22 on Mon May 22, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Honus355 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:30 pm

I agree. Amundson is the best coach in the state, hands down. The success of the program comes from both the players and coaches. Amundson spends countless hours inside his program. Not only with the varsity players but he spends just about as much time with the K-6 players as well, especially all of the camps and things that the coaches and varsity players participate in.

Rebecca K made the D II Freshman All-America Team, was conf. Freshman of the year, was 19th in DII basketball in scoring. How can anyone say that she did not have a good year? (source-http://www.goseawolves.com/sport ... ter_id=459)
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:30 pm

[user=656]jrh22[/user] wrote:
DO you remember how bhs beats mandan in almost every boys sport!! yeah thats right and which has more respect and brings more attention!! thats right its boys again..

Im glad you brought that up though aren't we talking girls bball not boys so go call man
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball4 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:05 pm

demonfan74 wrote:kari hanson didn't last, rebecca kelpinski is on a team that is div. II and close to last in their conference and the only reason why you hear about her in the paper is because her dad sends in articles every weekend, and the only offer i have heard the younger one get is ndsu and that's not saying much for a team who doesn't have a conference and barely went .500 - und could beat ndsu easily.

First of all, succeeding at Div. II is still pretty dang good.  And second of all, i haven't heard of any bhs players going to any big schools in the past years, DI or DII, and alot of other Mandan girls have gone to Dac and Mon-Dak schools (tracy jochim - 6th man senior year, one of the best juco players in the nation this past year).  I havent even hear of any bismarck girls succeeding at that level so i dont see why you're saying its no big deal.  NDSU is still DI no matter if they have a conference or not.  And how do you know that Rebeccas dad sends in articles?  And if he does, how else are the people that actually care about local athletes gonna know how shes doing? 
baseball4

Postby Ditka14 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:23 pm

demonfan74 i personally know jessica kelpinksi and he has got letters from a lot of different D1 schools, Minnesota gophers have sent her letters in the mail as well as every other school in the state. Also rebecca could have went to a better school but she wanted to study biology and anchorege has a great program for her studys it was a win win in her case man
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballcrasher » Tue May 23, 2006 5:24 am

Hate to burst your bubble...but the Gophers will take anyone these days...with 6 players leaving and an assistant coach, the bench is pretty empty and they're willing to sign anyone. I'm sure both Kielpinskis are D1 eligible, but it's a different game, different level of play. Even the best HS players need time to adjust.

On a side note, I agree Amundsum may be one of the best coaches in the state (win/loss record wise), but personality wise and coaching tactic wise....not so much. If you have ever been on the losing end of a 100 point game by Mandan, you know what I'm talking about. It's pitful that a coach feels the need to keep his starters in to run up the score, it's embarassing to play against and with such ignorance.
Last edited by bballcrasher on Tue May 23, 2006 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby truplaya » Tue May 23, 2006 8:19 am

rebbeca is domintating and jessica has even more talent and potential but still there team is playing terrible teams so u cant even way anything on amundson beign such a great coach have him do this in college i would be happy
truplaya

Postby catch22 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:13 pm

I don't think you can say they play terrible teams.  century, dickinson , and west fargo all play them competitively.  you make it sound like they are the only team in the state that has talent and that is not true. 
catch22

Postby Ditka14 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:20 pm

sorry to burst your bubble but west fargo in girls basketball is not competive either is dickinson
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Honus355 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:23 pm

[user=24]bballcrasher[/user] wrote:
I agree Amundsum may be one of the best coaches in the state (win/loss record wise), but personality wise and coaching tactic wise....not so much. If you have ever been on the losing end of a 100 point game by Mandan, you know what I'm talking about. It's pitful that a coach feels the need to keep his starters in to run up the score, it's embarassing to play against and with such ignorance.

I know that Coach Amundson does not get coach of the year because of his attitude. He is a very demanding coach and doesn't always appear to be the nicest of guys. However, that aside, no one should ever question the way that he coaches, especially his tactics. They have been working for the past 12 years very successfully. And to say that the starters are in to run up the score is a statement that would appear true to an outsider, but someone watching the game can see what happens. Amundson is not afraid to go to his bench. He'll play 10-11 people in the first half. This means that the starters are not playing the entire first half like on some other teams. So what is he supposed to do? Sit them the entire second half? That would be rediculous. They play the third and then a min or two into the fourth and then they are out. And what would be a solution to the braves scoring 80-100 pts in some games? Make them wait until 25 of the 30 seconds are off the shot clock?
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:33 pm

I remember going to the Mandan-SM girls game in Mandan and they were just killing us by about 40 and he was pressing until the end of the third quarter with all of his starters in till about 3 min left in the game.   With them getting a steal about every 10 seconds and just gunning and getting lay up after lay up.   Now is that necessary?  This is high school basketball he doesn't really need to prove a point out there on the court.  When is enough, enough?
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue May 23, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Wed May 24, 2006 3:44 am

Ditka14 wrote:sorry to burst your bubble but west fargo in girls basketball is not competive either is dickinson

What do you consider competitive??  West Fargo has been one of the best teams in the EDC the past few years, they won the regular season title last season!! and Dicikinson has had a good team the past few years also.  Not at the Mandan level but good when compared to every other ND teams.

Ditka14 do you know basketball or just Mandan basketball?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballcrasher » Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 am

Honus355 wrote:[user=24]bballcrasher[/user] wrote:
I agree Amundsum may be one of the best coaches in the state (win/loss record wise), but personality wise and coaching tactic wise....not so much. If you have ever been on the losing end of a 100 point game by Mandan, you know what I'm talking about. It's pitful that a coach feels the need to keep his starters in to run up the score, it's embarassing to play against and with such ignorance.

I know that Coach Amundson does not get coach of the year because of his attitude. He is a very demanding coach and doesn't always appear to be the nicest of guys. However, that aside, no one should ever question the way that he coaches, especially his tactics. They have been working for the past 12 years very successfully. And to say that the starters are in to run up the score is a statement that would appear true to an outsider, but someone watching the game can see what happens. Amundson is not afraid to go to his bench. He'll play 10-11 people in the first half. This means that the starters are not playing the entire first half like on some other teams. So what is he supposed to do? Sit them the entire second half? That would be rediculous. They play the third and then a min or two into the fourth and then they are out. And what would be a solution to the braves scoring 80-100 pts in some games? Make them wait until 25 of the 30 seconds are off the shot clock?

Here's the thing, I played basketball against Mandan, we lost BIG TIME. They broke 100. The starters played the whole game, along with the bench, but he pressed until about 5 minutes left in the game. It was not a close game by any means, I'm not even sure we broke 40 points. I am not whining that we lost, they're a great team. They have good discipline, excellent skills, fine coaching, but our coach did not play the starters the whole game, why would Amundsun feel he needed to? The solution to not "running up the score" is to pull off your press in the first quarter, don't play run and gun ball, set up your offense, make shots. Simple as that, if it happens you do score 100 points then, so be it. Score it legitimately, not by pressing.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 24, 2006 6:43 am

Back in the day Coach Mike schatz of NE football had just gotten sand pounded into uncomfortable areas.  The Richardton coach simply stated "Go build a program" when Schatz got upset about the starters still in the game.  I think he did that and then some. 

My advice to those of you tired of getting beat by Mandan in girls BB, Bismarck boys FB and Track and BB and whatever other team they put on the field/court/track.  Go build a program
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Wed May 24, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Strike3? » Wed May 24, 2006 7:16 am

bballcrasher wrote:
Honus355 wrote:[user=24]bballcrasher[/user] wrote:

Here's the thing, I played basketball against Mandan, we lost BIG TIME. They broke 100. The starters played the whole game, along with the bench, but he pressed until about 5 minutes left in the game. It was not a close game by any means, I'm not even sure we broke 40 points. I am not whining that we lost, they're a great team. They have good discipline, excellent skills, fine coaching, but our coach did not play the starters the whole game, why would Amundsun feel he needed to? The solution to not "running up the score" is to pull off your press in the first quarter, don't play run and gun ball, set up your offense, make shots. Simple as that, if it happens you do score 100 points then, so be it. Score it legitimately, not by pressing.

Score it legitimately? are you serious? pressing is part of the game. Its like saying score 100 but dont shoot any 3 pointers. Pressing is a part of the game and Mandan is very strong defensively as everyone knows, there not gonna let up on press after the first 3 minutes cause the other team is gettting pounded. Mandan dosent work so hard in practice working on their press and conditioning so hard for it so that they can do it games to only do it for 3 minutes so they dont make the other team feel bad. Is Admunson only suppose to play his starters the first quarter and then the bench take over? No thats ridiculous, how would you feel if you were a senior starter in your last year and your only getting in 8 - 12 mins of playing time a game. As for saying that mandan should not play run and gun, thats their style of play. Even if Mandan didnt press theyd still score just as many points. If you ever go to their games when he takes the press off they are getting just as many steals in the halfcourt offense then if they were pressing. Most of the teams only score when Mandan is pressing,sometimes theyll break it and get a good shot off. But I'm sick of everyone on here whining about Admunson running up the score. Go build a program and do something about it.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Strike3? » Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 am

Ming01 wrote:I remember going to the Mandan-SM girls game in Mandan and they were just killing us by about 40 and he was pressing until the end of the third quarter with all of his starters in till about 3 min left in the game.   With them getting a steal about every 10 seconds and just gunning and getting lay up after lay up.   Now is that necessary?  This is high school basketball he doesn't really need to prove a point out there on the court.  When is enough, enough?

well maybe if St. Marys program put in more practice time and worked alot harder during practice they wouldnt have to worry about getting pounded so bad. Instead of worrying about the Mandan girls team beating them into the ground and running up the score they should do something about it and stop whining about it.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 am

Ok?  You don't need to tell me that.  I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is for them to do that to almost every opponent.  Their not respecting the game, pounding the other team to the ground and keeping your starters in and pressing pretty much the whole game is not the way the game should be played.  Isn't winning by 30 points good enough???  It is really unnecessary, just play the game how it is meant to be played.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby jrh22 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:22 am

I agree with Ming
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby threeball » Wed May 24, 2006 9:00 am

Have you ever thought that Amundson wants all of his players ready to play in a tough situation so they do all of there defenses every game?  It also shows that he is the type of coach that doesn't let his players let up, and that is why they win almost every game that they play.
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Strike3? » Wed May 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Exactly
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby carolina-bb » Wed May 24, 2006 3:00 pm

i totally agree with what you said [user=678]Strike3?[/user] about going out and building a program..if your sick of mandan winning games, then go out and get better! its not their faults they work harder than any team in the state (obviously) so go out and try to make yourselves better so they have competition!
Last edited by carolina-bb on Wed May 24, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolina-bb

Postby Ming01 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Doesnt change the fact that they disrespect game.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:44 pm

If they disrespected the game they would win by 100 every game.  He could have Kielpinski get 50 points a game if he wanted to.  He could have had Rogers shoot 25 threes every game.  All they do is play good defense and get there younger players experience.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 24, 2006 6:47 pm

What is disrespectful to the game is not practicing and working at getting better.  What is direspectful is getting beat by 30-40.  Not winning by that much.  I have watched 100's if not thousands of games.  Including the girls class b championship this past year.  In that game it was clearly out of reach but neither coach chose to sub. There are two schools of thought. The philosophy  that the leader shows mercy and then the defeated.  Other coaches feel that  the team getting beat should sub first.
Regardless of the philosophy in the Mandan case.  Watch the box scores, between 9 and 12 girls appear consistantly.  That isn't because they get garbage time at the end of games, it is becasue they all PLAY. 
As for the press and having starters in the game late I think that can be a risk,  Injuries

Would I want my kids to play for Mandan?
Yes, those teams are discipline and they know how to compete.

I don't live in that district so I guess that won't happen.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Girls