"A" State Tournament

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: "A" State Tournament

Postby daviesfan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:27 am

Congrats to Shanley and North. They really played well Friday.

I like Shanley, with more balance, to win the final.

Does anybody know when they pick the all-state team? Is it before or after the tournament. Because that could weigh heavily in selections.
daviesfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:33 pm

IMO, I just saw the COOLEST thing done in the 3rd Place game.

Wellentin (South) and Bacon (GFC) were injured early in the season (both are seniors). They both started the game...players allowed both to score in the first 20 seconds of the game (first points of the season). Wellentin and Bacon then were subbed out of the game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby roundem6 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Saw something like that in the BHS Century game yesterday as well. Great sportsmanship.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 pm

5th Place - 9:30 am
Minot 51 vs. Century 77

3rd Place - 1:30 pm
Fargo South 60 vs. GF Central 75

Championship - 6:00 pm
Fargo Shanley 44 vs. Fargo North 61
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby daviesfan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Kenney struggled for another game. Congrats to North.

How about those announcers? You think they wanted the Spartans to win? I agree with somebody else. It was painful to listen.
daviesfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Congrats Spartans on an INCREDIBLE Postseason Run!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 pm

daviesfan wrote:Kenney struggled for another game. Congrats to North.

How about those announcers? You think they wanted the Spartans to win? I agree with somebody else. It was painful to listen.

These announcers have NEVER been good to listen too...I ended up muting the game for awhile.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby yosports » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:IMO, I just saw the COOLEST thing done in the 3rd Place game.

Wellentin (South) and Bacon (GFC) were injured early in the season (both are seniors). They both started the game...players allowed both to score in the first 20 seconds of the game (first points of the season). Wellentin and Bacon then were subbed out of the game.

Bacon is actually a junior this year and I believe she played earlier on in the season. I do not think that was her first points of the year but it was still a nice thing to do for the girls. Especially for Wellentin since she is a senior and she did not get to play at all this year.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 pm

yosports wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:IMO, I just saw the COOLEST thing done in the 3rd Place game.

Bacon is actually a junior this year and I believe she played earlier on in the season. I do not think that was her first points of the year but it was still a nice thing to do for the girls. Especially for Wellentin since she is a senior and she did not get to play at all this year.

Thanks for the correction...I guess my source, which is usually reliable, wasn't so reliable.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby soccer09 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 pm

I hate to be the person to point this out but: officiating was a travesty. Shanley intentionally fouled one time. North was given 22 (!!!) more free throws. 22. That doesn't just happen in the flow of the game. Shame the refs decided they were the important ones on the court.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:33 pm

soccer09 wrote:I hate to be the person to point this out but: officiating was a travesty. Shanley intentionally fouled one time. North was given 22 (!!!) more free throws. 22. That doesn't just happen in the flow of the game. Shame the refs decided they were the important ones on the court.

It happens when one team is way more aggressive than the other which north was. Shanley settled for the outside almost everytime while north worked the ball inside. As a neutral fan who didn't care who won, I actually thought shanley got more calls than north.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Yahyah » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:51 pm

WoW!! Fargo North.. congrats... Before the season, I was most excited to watch for North and Shanley. But during the season North kind of dissapointed me, but I guess coach and players put it all together. Shanley got complacent... they didn't trun up their game, still consistent throughout the tourneyment, but North defended well, they knew where every player was.
Yahyah
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:52 am

Officiating did not decide the game though. North played so well again and deserved that. Congrats Spartans!
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1205 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 am

I thought the officiating was fine and the officials certainly weren't biased. Baller is right that Shanley didn't attack the basket. Free throws also add up quickly when one team fouls a lot at the end.

The announcers were awful. Hammer proved how clueless he was when Shanley got the technical for not having any timeouts left.

Also, what was the deal with the idiot announcer that asked Farroh Friday night about the season ending the way it did and she nicely (and correctly) pointed out that they still had another game to play.
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoopster1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:17 am

Agreed, they were pretty bad. Earned some respect for Farroh on how she handled that question. I think that shows the type of person she is when even though her team just lost the semi final game, she wasn't giving up on the season. She made sure her season ended with a win.
hoopster1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby margoforehead » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Congratulations to North and Shanley for the game last night. Sometimes one game, even a championship game, is not a reflection on an entire season. Shanley was not a "cinderella" team. The played well consistently for an entire season, not just at the end...they just came up short in this one game. As I have said on this blog before, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a better group of young women on and off the court. The character they display in loss, in victory and in life is a joy to be seen. They should be very very proud of their season and their effort.
margoforehead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby margoforehead » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Baller wrote:
soccer09 wrote:I hate to be the person to point this out but: officiating was a travesty. Shanley intentionally fouled one time. North was given 22 (!!!) more free throws. 22. That doesn't just happen in the flow of the game. Shame the refs decided they were the important ones on the court.

It happens when one team is way more aggressive than the other which north was. Shanley settled for the outside almost everytime while north worked the ball inside. As a neutral fan who didn't care who won, I actually thought shanley got more calls than north.

Can anyone else tell me, is it only in the EDC that it happens when a call is made, as in last night's game, a ref under the basket called the ball out on North and the ref at the half-court over-ruled him? Seriously, this seemed so strange to me. Also how do you compare 36 free-throws to 14 free-throws? Just saying...
margoforehead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lakerfan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Daviesfan, just wanted to let you know that Kenney was sick all week with the flu. She played with a fever on Thursday according to people close to that team. And just to add, the whole team was struggling shooting last night and that is why they lost. They played flawlessly against Fargo South. A loss to a team they beat three times this year does not define a season. Dehne had a very weak season until the tournament. Kenney when healthy is the strongest ball handler,passer and playmaker. Carew is an all around great player and Storandt is one of the toughest I have seen this year. They had an off shooting night. I think they were one of the most fun and exciting teams to watch this season. As we all know, the better team doesn't always win, sometimes it's just the team whose shots fell on that night.
lakerfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby daviesfan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm

I wasn't pinning the loss on Kenney. She's a good player who struggled with her shot and confidence Saturday nigbt. She didn't look for her shot.

North had nothing to lose in this game, and it took advantage of the situation. I wonder if those two announcers are partying today with the Spartans? Gosh, they either hate Shanley or know some of the Spartans.
daviesfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lakerfan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Agreed, the announcers were pitiful. I hope they receive many complaints. Maybe the North parents gave them each a pair of those "magic gloves" they were all sporting! A mother of one of the younger girls on the Shanley team told me that those five seniors are an amazing group and have been incredible mentors to the younger set. I do find it interesting that 6 weeks ago the parents at FN were none too happy with their coach and rumors abounded but I guess now his job is safe.
lakerfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby margoforehead » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 pm

The announcers might have been sporting "magic gloves" or maybe zumba pants! Good point lakerfan, I ran into Kenney the other day at the tournament and she sounded terrible with this cold/flu thing. I can't believe she could play at all, much less at the great level she did...but some kids are just champs through and through.
margoforehead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:33 pm

daviesfan wrote:I wasn't pinning the loss on Kenney. She's a good player who struggled with her shot and confidence Saturday nigbt. She didn't look for her shot.

North had nothing to lose in this game, and it took advantage of the situation. I wonder if those two announcers are partying today with the Spartans? Gosh, they either hate Shanley or know some of the Spartans.

They didn't have a lot to say about North when they were down at the beginning. They were bad, but Shanley only gave them a few things to say in the 2nd half.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby intensity » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 pm

The reffing was fair.
-North was the aggressor for most of the night. When Shanley attacked the inside, they got calls.
-Shanley lived and, mostly died, by the outside shot. No place to call fouls. (North 1/5 from three-point, Shanley 5/18)
-North is a strong rebounding team - Shanley had few second chances inside.
-The last four minutes of the game involved Shanley fouling North in the catch-up game.

As for Kenney's injury - Dehne tweaked her hamstring in the first few minutes. Anyone who has watched her play knows she was not at full speed for the rest of the game. She also was battling a knee injury from the opening round. Larson also had a significant knee injury and was in a lot of pain.
Moral of the story.... everyone has to fight through adversity.

lakerfan, saying Dehne had a weak regular season is a complete joke. 16 points pg, 6 rebounds pg (a 5''6' lightweight), 5 assists pg, 74% free throws, 3 steals pg, over 40% field goals. She has 3 six-footers on the team, but leads North in blocks. 1,000 points and all-time leading scorer at North. Unanimous all-EDC.
She for sure stepped up her game at state and EDC, but she was great in the regular season too.

The announcers were pretty ignorant, and they shouldn't have leaned either way, but they mostly just said positive things about whichever team was doing the best. In the beginning they talked more about Shanley, since they were doing well.

I think Shanley would have won if they would have stopped settling for outside shots and started being aggressive. It's a bad idea to peg your hopes of a state championship on outside shots... girls are going to be nervous and its only the second time playing on that court.

Congratulations to both teams. They are both filled with great kids and athletes. I saw nothing but good sportsmanship from both sides.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:37 pm

I talked with Kira's (Larson) mom before Saturday nights game against GFC. IT was NOT a significant knee injury. She smacked in on the floor in Thursday nights game and it later swelled way up. She spent a much time as possible in the ice bath and wore a compression bandage to try to keep the swelling down.Although I noticed she limped quite a bit early in the game, it looked like after it was warmed up it was okay. I don't think it slowed her down that much (against century 14 pts, 6 rebounds, against GFC 19 pts, 12 rebounds and named player of the game, and in the championship game 16 pts and 11 rebounds). She did land on it again in the Shanley game towards the end and was limping again after the game. For North's sake I am glad that it was not worse.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Yahyah » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:15 pm

The reffing was actually really good. The pitful for Shanley was their Post picking up a 3rd foul early in the game, she was getting a lot of clean blocks, and was the last defense between North and the basket. Eventually she wasn't going to contest every shot cleanly especially against, just as tall, North post. Shanley later felt the impact when she needed to sit out. The lane for north opened up, for more aggresive plays. I can see why Shanley didnt drive when you have to shoot over a couple tall posts, and also the fact that they don't really have any lane drivers except Kenney. But her shots are really easy to contest if she does jump shots by the basket: against tall North posts, no. That is when you have to be crafty and extend your body at full lenght to get around the hands, even if it means falling on the side of your hips.

North is actually a tough matchup if you dont have anybody to attack their posts. Didn't they use like 4 or 5 posts in that game. It was a really fun game to watch, as well as the boys championship game.

And for Kira's knee, she probable tore or partially tore something in there, which can be consequently later on in her high school career. She is going to aggrevate it little by little, especially all the jumping she does in track, volleyball, and basketball. She should get it check for her sake, especially since she may be a top recruit for colleges. There is no doubt that she is very athletic for someone her height, which is already enough for a college to red shirt and train for a year. She just need her skills to be refined a little more, which it will next year; that is when you see a noticeable difference in players game.
Yahyah
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls