Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Someone posted that the media shouldn't be a factor...lol! It's a media award!! I can see Farroh getting Class A Senior Athlete of the Year, but Miss Basketball is going to go to a player who has been at the State tournament. Long's scoring record is more impressive than anyone else's stats combined, and she has a possible 3 state appearances to back it up. Rebounds, steals, assists, etc are only impressive if it leads the team to score. You won't win on rebounding alone, but can with scoring. Long has also been a Class B 1st team All-State selection since her sophomore year.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grlsbballfan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 am

VALLEYBALL wrote:Farroh far more deserving !!
Better all around player.
Roehrich shouldn't even be considered, her attitude stinks !!

Attitude stinks!! Why? Because she shows a little emotion on the floor? You call it attitude. I call it passion for the game and heart!! Shouldnt even be considered! Lead the EDC scoring since shes been a sophmore, led the state in scoring since a junior. Scored 10 threes in one game, scores 30 plus points 8 times, 20 plus points numerous of times. Valleyball you would have to take your socks off and count your fingers and toes. Stop there because you dont have anymore you can count. Maybe if you had a friend you could count there toes and fingers and it would still be above that!! 16 free throws in a game!! 30 % plus from behind the arc since her freshman year( except this year)!! Been to 2 state title games!! Unanimous selection Allstate tournament team last 2 years!! Been All-state for 3 years!! All edc for 3 years!! Voted by ESPN RISE .COM as the best player in the state as a junior!! Gatorade player of the year her junior season and is a canidate for this year!! Verbally committed to a D-1 COLLEGE before her junior year started!! Will get to 1800 points in her career if they go deep into the state tourney!! Has been the leader for the team going on three years!! I could keep going on and on. To much to type!! Like i have said before congrats to whom is even selected they are all great athletes!! One thing though i believe a d-1 program wouldnt have given her a full ride if they thought she had an attitude problem!! Thats what they want is passion and heart you call it attitude, i call it a WINNER!!
You shouldnt assume you no what your talking about. When you do your always the first 3 letters of that word!!
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby annierebecca4252 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 am

I believe Valleyball was giving an opinion, and was not assuming anything. Don't insult someone simply because they disagree with you. That's pathetic. I happen to agree with Valleyball about Roehrich's attitude.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby grlsbballfan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 pm

annierebecca4252 wrote:I believe Valleyball was giving an opinion, and was not assuming anything. Don't insult someone simply because they disagree with you. That's pathetic. I happen to agree with Valleyball about Roehrich's attitude.

Valleyball wasnt assuning anything. Ya right!! I quote" she shouldnt be considered ,her attitude stinks"end quote. ASSUMPTION!! By what i posted earlier just on some simple facts. Roehrich will be a candidate for the award and will be a front runner for the award!! Be prepared to get insulted when you give insulting opnions about a kid. So have a good day. Best of luck to all candidates your all studs!!
Last edited by grlsbballfan on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby annierebecca4252 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I don't believe anyone was. You were giving SOME facts, Meghan Roehrich has had an amazing career, she is a D-1 recruit, and she has been an all-stater. Nobody can take that away from her and I don't think that has ever been my intention. In fact I do believe I paid her a huge compliment by commenting that she makes South a very dangerous team in the EDC tourney, as well as state.

It should not be insulting when a person picks one player over another, and this forum should be a place where people are allowed to voice their opinions good and bad. I guess I assumed we could all comment without getting heated. I was wrong. I have simply said that my OPINION is Farroh's numbers this year are more impressive (her 16.6 rebounds/game being a FACT) and her team's winning this year (also a FACT) also make her the top candidate in my mind.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 am

In the biggest game of the year so far with 1st place in the EDC on the line Farroh scores 4 points vs Shanley.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND Fan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:05 am

I live out of state so have not had the chance to see Roehrich or Farroh play. This is a very interesting and passionate debate regarding who deserves this year's Miss Basketball award. I think it is great that ND has two very talented girls to choose from (three if you consider Long in the discussion).

As you can see by my name, I am a UND fan. Give me your thoughts about how each will do in college. Please don't make it a "p%*sing match" about who will be better. Just provide your thoughts about how well Roehrich will do playing DI ball at UND and at what level can Farrah play in college. Can she play DI ball?

One observation - if Roehrich does have an attitude problem, it won't last long after she starts playing for Gene!
UND Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:21 am

bruins44 wrote:In the biggest game of the year so far with 1st place in the EDC on the line Farroh scores 4 points vs Shanley.

Shanley played GREAT defense on her.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:37 am

UND Fan wrote:I live out of state so have not had the chance to see Roehrich or Farroh play. This is a very interesting and passionate debate regarding who deserves this year's Miss Basketball award. I think it is great that ND has two very talented girls to choose from (three if you consider Long in the discussion).

As you can see by my name, I am a UND fan. Give me your thoughts about how each will do in college. Please don't make it a "p%*sing match" about who will be better. Just provide your thoughts about how well Roehrich will do playing DI ball at UND and at what level can Farrah play in college. Can she play DI ball?

One observation - if Roehrich does have an attitude problem, it won't last long after she starts playing for Gene!

Roehrich is going to do great at UND because she is confident and plays to win. She looks to score constantly which will open up UND's inside game. Gene will like her. Farroh can play D1, but will need to develop her foot speed. It will be fun to watch these girls at State.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am

When young players become main shooters, I notice they become very result orientated. They tend to look at the scoreboard more, and are very aware of what needs to be done. Some get verbal and emotional. Then there are players who are great workhorses. They have a task to get done whether its defense, rebounding, etc. and they don't look at the clock as much. When they get a rebound or a steal, they look for the outlet, and go down a set up for the next play. Both types of players need to be appreciated. The scorer/ball handler often gets tagged with an attitude problem. Fans will actually cheer for the player who made the pass to the scorer, and not even comment on the player who made the layup. And if that player ever gets a steal and goes up for a layup without looking for a pass, she is tagged as a ball hog. Layups are harder than most think.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 pm

After watching Ferroh get bottled up by Shanley i would pick Roehrich over Ferroh. Does Ferroh shoot from over 10 feet out? She had open looks but didn't shoot nor did she drive?

Kenney doesn't have the stats but i would name her MVP of the EDC. When she decides to play she is fun to watch and very difficult to stop. If she gains some consistancy she willbe a heck of a player at Augustana.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballnut » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:32 pm

"When she decides to play." Come on. No MVP here. What we have is Randy Moss. There are plenty of other players in the EDC who deserve SAOY, and come to play every day. I can name more consistent players on South, Central, Shanley, Devils Lake. Kenney, who was averaging 10.5 ppg before she got loose against Central, needs to play much better defense to compete in college. Farroh had one bad game this season. How many have Roehrich, Kenney had? Yes, a few more;
basketballnut
NDPreps Rookie

Postby soccer09 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:43 pm

I'd be hesitant to make that pick based on one game- Shanley's D is tops, and theyve done well against everyone (%wise). Farroh still gets it over Roehrich for me.

Agree with EDC- Kenney's come back with two monster games to lead Shanley over the two teams that beat them early in the season (WF and GFC.) Basketballnut, you're getting nutty with your Moss reference-- 1st, Kenney was injured first part of the season which lowered her PPG, 2nd, Moss is renowned for not working hard, you really think you can decide if someone's working hard? What're you doing, videotaping practices? 3rd, she's a PG leading the EDC in assists- ppg is a dumb way to evaluate a player if it's your sole factor (as I've said multiple times on this board) especially when the player is a PG. Saying she "doesn't come to play every day" is the same type of shortsighted PPG analysis that ignores all the other things that impact games. And your defense claim is bogus-- she wouldn't have been recruited to such a strong program if she needed to work to even compete in college, plus shanley's D is tops in the league despite having some of the shortest posts, so it doesn't seem like if she was a sieve up front their D would be so strong, + her height and length let her get several blocks and steals a game.

If you want to make an argument about career stats, there are arguments there as to who should get all the awards. But EDC's comment was simply that no player is more valuable, and watching Shanley I'd think it was true.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm

A more accurate comment on Kenney would be "when she plays with confidence" instead of "when she decides to play". She has the skills and desire but lacks confidence. When she plays with confidence she is the MVP of the EDC. I have watched EDC bb for a long time and I can't recall too many that could create and finish or get fouled like she does. She will not get Miss BB nor would I vote for her because she hasn't played consistantly with confidence.

Farroh's numbers are crazy. I expected to see more from her though. It was like Shanley took away some things and there wasn't a plan "B". She didn't appear to be able to create her own shots. She did get called for some touchy fouls that made her play differently. Only watched her one game this year but it just wasn't the WOW that I expected. I assume she will now come back and hang 30 pts and 25 rebounds the next game.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballnut » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 pm

EDC, I was just taking some info from your post "when she wants to play and lacks confidence." I'm no sure how good Kenney is. I'm only seen her a couple of times. But that's enough about Miss BB.

All-state Class A? How many players? Twelve?

Bismarck, Hrurby
Century, Jacobs
South, Roehrich
TM, Golus
Mandan, Pederson
Central, Farroh, Fee
Shanley, Kenney, Carew
West Fargo, Holland
Devils Lake, Elshaug, Mertens
basketballnut
NDPreps Rookie

Postby soccer09 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:32 pm

I think the ratio East To West is always pretty even, so 4 from the west is too few probably.
But I'm not sure if it's 12 or 15 either.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:42 pm

basketballnut wrote:EDC, I was just taking some info from your post "when she wants to play and lacks confidence." I'm no sure how good Kenney is. I'm only seen her a couple of times. But that's enough about Miss BB.

All-state Class A? How many players? Twelve?

Bismarck, Hrurby
Century, Jacobs
South, Roehrich
TM, Golus
Mandan, Pederson
Central, Farroh, Fee
Shanley, Kenney, Carew
West Fargo, Holland
Devils Lake, Elshaug, Mertens

I believe they pick 5 1st-team and 5 2nd-team...10 total.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:52 pm

My early All-State picks:

1st Team:
Roehrich-South
Golus-TM
Farroh-Central
Dehne-North
Herauf-Dickinson

2nd Team:
Longtin-Mandan
Hruby-Bismarck
Kenney-Shanley
Holland-West Fargo
Elshaug-Devils Lake
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketballnut » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Scoobs:

Good list.

I can't agree with Herauf, who's on a 3-15 team, or Dehne (Larson has better numbers). I don't mind Longtin ahead of Mertens.

By the way, it was a good one today. DL beat the Bruins today. Elshaug was on fire. DL is coming along.
basketballnut
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:46 pm

I would be very surprised if Steph Pedersen was not all state this season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:29 am

basketballnut wrote:Scoobs:

Good list.

I can't agree with Herauf, who's on a 3-15 team, or Dehne (Larson has better numbers). I don't mind Longtin ahead of Mertens.

By the way, it was a good one today. DL beat the Bruins today. Elshaug was on fire. DL is coming along.

I agree with you, but I really am just predicting who I think will make it, and not necessarily who I think should. It's voted on by the media (I think), and they like repeaters. I agree on Elshaug, and don't think any team is dominant enough to have 2 on the list. Century's Ann Govig could be considered.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby annierebecca4252 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Do you have to make it to State in order to be named to the All-State team?

I think Kenney is getting a lot of great mentions in this forum because of the excellent game she had against Central. But I don't believe there is an MVP of that team, just as there can't be an MVP of any EDC teams (besides perhaps South and West Fargo). There are four players who have carried Shanley at one time or another throughout this season. Rachel Weir just had terrific games against Red River and Devils Lake. And Carew has to be an all-state selection.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 pm

annierebecca4252 wrote:Do you have to make it to State in order to be named to the All-State team?

I think Kenney is getting a lot of great mentions in this forum because of the excellent game she had against Central. But I don't believe there is an MVP of that team, just as there can't be an MVP of any EDC teams (besides perhaps South and West Fargo). There are four players who have carried Shanley at one time or another throughout this season. Rachel Weir just had terrific games against Red River and Devils Lake. And Carew has to be an all-state selection.

Not very familiar with Shanley, but if Shanley get an all-state selection, then pick one. If any team gets 2 on the list, I would guess Mandan. Century will probably get one too since they have been the top rated team, but I don't really know who.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby annierebecca4252 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Coach Flaagan from South is quoted in the Devils Lake Journal saying Hannah Elshaug is a 'sure-fire first team all-stater'.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby yosports » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 am

UND Fan wrote:I live out of state so have not had the chance to see Roehrich or Farroh play. This is a very interesting and passionate debate regarding who deserves this year's Miss Basketball award. I think it is great that ND has two very talented girls to choose from (three if you consider Long in the discussion).

Farroh is a good player --an amazing rebounder with long arms who just has that instinct of where the ball is going. So therefore she gets lots of garbage baskets at close range. She is not a D-1 player in my opinion. She is a great kid with a great attitude and is not selfish at all. She maybe could play D-2. She would need to work on longer range shots. She is not a "pure athlete" in my opinion. D-1 athletes need to be pure athletes.
Roehrich has big time attitude and I don't care what anyone says. I have watched her play for about 8 years and it hasn't changed much. She slams the ball down after missing a freethrow and other stuff like that. She glares at her teammates when they screw up. She is a competitor and a great bb player. Great body control. Better than Farroh as a skilled BB player. She will do great at UND if she drops the attitude and Roebuck will make sure of that! Her attitude cost her a couple of State Championships. I saw it happen. Roebuck will not put up with it.

I don't think either one of these girls will be Miss Basketball. I would give it to Roehrich minus the attitude but my guess is that Long will get it. I have never seen her play but they do go by career and she has had an amazing one just like Roehrich and Farroh have. But Miss Basketball has a LONG list of criteria. Not just stats.(Community service and other things like that). Golus could also have a chance at Miss Basketball. She is a great player too --total BB player.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls