Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby yosports » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 pm

dolly095 wrote:Personally, I hope that Farroh gets the award-her stats are amazing! She is a great all-around player. Maybe, she isn't as "fun or exciting" to watch as Roerich-she actually usually looks gangly and clumsy. However, if you look past this, she is a great fundamental player that works hard and loves the game. Basketball is her life, and I'm so excited that she finally has a chance to play in the state tournament to show what she can do! Roerich's stats are also great; She's a good 3-point shooter and she knows how to drive the lane (be an actress) and draw the foul. But she doesn't seem to play (good) defense. If she had Siri Burk's stealing/defensive skills, then I would respect her more.
As someone that has PLAYED against both players, I can tell you that absolutely NO one I know would say that Farroh has a bad attitude, but you can find plenty of people that hate playing against (and watching) Roerich and dealing with her attitude. Like others have said, she can't even take a foul without complaining, pulling up her shorts, or yelling at Flagan. It's weird.
The media probably won't even take the attitudes into consideration, but I wish they would. Also, I don't think past (state) tournament performance should be taken into consideration. The award is for THIS year.
Other than my comments about those two, this is probably the most stacked senior class in a couple of years with many players that you could argue deserve the award -most of them have been dominating since their freshman or senior year! I agree that the All-star game will be very entertaining!

I agree with most all you are saying. . .you are right on. Some of the people on this site need to listen to people like you who have been there, done that.
In reference to Miss Basketball, I am pretty sure it is a CAREER award not just a senior year award. Either way both Farroh and Roehrich are deserving but just wanted to point that out.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby Yahyah » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

dolly095 wrote:Personally, I hope that Farroh gets the award-her stats are amazing! She is a great all-around player. Maybe, she isn't as "fun or exciting" to watch as Roerich-she actually usually looks gangly and clumsy. However, if you look past this, she is a great fundamental player that works hard and loves the game. Basketball is her life, and I'm so excited that she finally has a chance to play in the state tournament to show what she can do! Roerich's stats are also great; She's a good 3-point shooter and she knows how to drive the lane (be an actress) and draw the foul. But she doesn't seem to play (good) defense. If she had Siri Burk's stealing/defensive skills, then I would respect her more.
As someone that has PLAYED against both players, I can tell you that absolutely NO one I know would say that Farroh has a bad attitude, but you can find plenty of people that hate playing against (and watching) Roerich and dealing with her attitude. Like others have said, she can't even take a foul without complaining, pulling up her shorts, or yelling at Flagan. It's weird.
The media probably won't even take the attitudes into consideration, but I wish they would. Also, I don't think past (state) tournament performance should be taken into consideration. The award is for THIS year.
Other than my comments about those two, this is probably the most stacked senior class in a couple of years with many players that you could argue deserve the award -most of them have been dominating since their freshman or senior year! I agree that the All-star game will be very entertaining!

lol..you are right both does look kind of gangly and clumsy. I think if Roerich carries the Bruins to the championship game, she wins it, if not Farroh wins it. Both gots their strenghts and weaknesses. If you take away Farroh's height and weight, there is no way she would be pulling in those numbers. She doesn't look agile, or athletic. Her verticle is like 2 inches, but she does know how to play the post position. Roerich does not know how to play "great" defense, but what she does now seems to works most of the time. I think most of the time she plays lazy defense because she needs to conserve her energy for offense.

Miss Basketball is a media award and the person with the most hoopla wins. If Farroh revealed where she is going to play for college, media probable weigh it in. Since she hasn't said anything, it might just underweigh her for the award.
Yahyah
NDPreps Reserve

Postby teamramrod » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 am

Yahyah wrote:

lol..you are right both does look kind of gangly and clumsy. I think if Roerich carries the Bruins to the championship game, she wins it, if not Farroh wins it. Both gots their strenghts and weaknesses. If you take away Farroh's height and weight, there is no way she would be pulling in those numbers. She doesn't look agile, or athletic. Her verticle is like 2 inches, but she does know how to play the post position. Roerich does not know how to play "great" defense, but what she does now seems to works most of the time. I think most of the time she plays lazy defense because she needs to conserve her energy for offense.

Miss Basketball is a media award and the person with the most hoopla wins. If Farroh revealed where she is going to play for college, media probable weigh it in. Since she hasn't said anything, it might just underweigh her for the award.

I think that saying she needs to conserve energy for offense shows no team game. Defense alot of times is what wins games and to be Miss Basketball I think it should go to the best girl all-around, not just offensively. When i've grown up playing basketball i've always thought you don't play defense why should you get the ball on offense. Ya she's souths main scoring threat, doesn't mean she can't help win the game defensively too. Whenever I watch a close game I always look for that person that wants to be the one to make the huge defensive play at the end of the game. Roehrich just wants all the fame on the offensive end. I think OVERALL farroh deserves it because she is a presence in the post, changes shots, and hits the glass hard, and plays both ends of the court very good. These two are so close though it will probably come down to who leads their team farther in this state tourney.
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yosports » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 pm

So you guys all seem to think that it is between Farroh and Roehrich only? There will be Class B candidates too you know and the Class B tourney will be last and that could help the Class B girls because those performances are fresh in their (the media's) mind.

There were years back where a Class B boys candidate was the winner and Class A people complained that the award was given to the Class B guy instead of the Class A guy because of that fact. . . that the B tournament was last and the media had that fresh on their mind. Now this is the first year where the Girls B is after the Class A so I wonder if that will make a difference in how the media vote?? hmmmm
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby Yahyah » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

I might be really wrong, but doesn't the award like alternate between the two classes. It just seems like that to me.
Yahyah
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:53 am

scc wrote:
Yahyah wrote:I might be really wrong, but doesn't the award like alternate between the two classes. It just seems like that to me.

It has alternated every year since 1998.

Mr. Basketball just went to Class B again, and I would not be surprised if it stayed there again with the girls. There are a lot of outstanding seniors that will be playing in the Class B tourney this week, and nobody should be forgetting about Long from Standing Rock who made a serious run on the scoring record. Farroh's numbers are outstanding, but I would not be able to pick her out without a roster, and Roehrich wasn't a standout. If I had to vote today, for Class A, I would jump on the "ship" and go with Dehne from North. She is the only Class A All-State senior with a championship and MVP. Plus she's good with very little drama, and the media loved her.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm

What Dehne and North accomplished was simply amazing; I would find it tough not to vote for her after North: won three straight elimination games in EDC, entered State with and 11-12 record and then sprung 3 straight upsets to win the State Championship.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby daviesfan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Dehne was a questionable all-stater before the tournament. You don't rise up against a girl like Farroh or Long on one weekend. Get real.
daviesfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby senser » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:48 pm

I don't follow girls like everyone else here, but I'm a little surprised that both Megan Roerich and Shauna Long were not among the finalists. All I have ever heard about were those 2 from everyone pumping girls basketball to me.

I do not think I have seen who won the award yet, or who was nominated.
senser
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:17 pm

senser wrote:I don't follow girls like everyone else here, but I'm a little surprised that both Megan Roerich and Shauna Long were not among the finalists. All I have ever heard about were those 2 from everyone pumping girls basketball to me.

I do not think I have seen who won the award yet, or who was nominated.

finalists will be announced this week with the winner being announced at state b.

I am going to predict that dietz from beach wins it.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:15 pm

daviesfan wrote:Dehne was a questionable all-stater before the tournament. You don't rise up against a girl like Farroh or Long on one weekend. Get real.

Yes you can when you go head to head and beat out 2 number #1 teams, win a State Championship, and earn the MVP. Its all about opportunities. As fans, we have to decide if stats beats out team success. I have always thought Roehrich should get it because she has played in more championships, but a lot of people have said it should be about leadership, attitude, as well as team success and stats. So why not consider Dehne as the most successful senior? She also will get considered because for the 1st time ever, the Class B tourney is after the Class A tourney, and voters have had a chance to watch her. They only other senior to match her success is Dietz from Beach. Voters will have to vote before Dietz has a chance to do it twice.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby yosports » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:05 pm

daviesfan wrote:Dehne was a questionable all-stater before the tournament. You don't rise up against a girl like Farroh or Long on one weekend. Get real.

I agree. One weekend's play is going to give her Miss Basketball? I don't think so. They look at the BIG stats. Look at what happened in Boys. . . Grant Lindahl who helped his team win a State title this year and has big numbers got beat out by a bigger number guy whose team did not even make it to State.

Dehne is a great player. I was very impressed with her this weekend and last year she really rose to the occasion at tournament time as well.

But there are other girls with bigger numbers form both Class A and Class B.
I hope she gets nominated though.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:09 am

roundem6 wrote:What Dehne and North accomplished was simply amazing; I would find it tough not to vote for her after North: won three straight elimination games in EDC, entered State with and 11-12 record and then sprung 3 straight upsets to win the State Championship.

This is my problem with the award, there is no doubt winning a state title will help her pick up votes, but the class B finalists don't have this oppurtunity as the voting is done prior to the championship. It was always unfair to the class A girls 'til this season with the switch of the boys and girls seasons. Same thing in boys except it cheats the class A boys.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rich_2999 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm

What are the Career Stats on these players?

Long?
Farroh?
Roerich?
Golus?
Dehne?
dietz?
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Rich_2999 wrote:What are the Career Stats on these players?

Long?
Farroh?
Roerich?
Golus?
Dehne?
dietz?

I know Long has roughly 2700-2800 career points.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:11 pm

yosports wrote:

I agree. One weekend's play is going to give her Miss Basketball? I don't think so. They look at the BIG stats. Look at what happened in Boys. . . Grant Lindahl who helped his team win a State title this year and has big numbers got beat out by a bigger number guy whose team did not even make it to State.

Dehne is a great player. I was very impressed with her this weekend and last year she really rose to the occasion at tournament time as well.

But there are other girls with bigger numbers form both Class A and Class B.
I hope she gets nominated though.

I thought Lindahl should have been Mr. Basketball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby yosports » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Flip wrote:
roundem6 wrote:What Dehne and North accomplished was simply amazing; I would find it tough not to vote for her after North: won three straight elimination games in EDC, entered State with and 11-12 record and then sprung 3 straight upsets to win the State Championship.

This is my problem with the award, there is no doubt winning a state title will help her pick up votes, but the class B finalists don't have this oppurtunity as the voting is done prior to the championship. It was always unfair to the class A girls 'til this season with the switch of the boys and girls seasons. Same thing in boys except it cheats the class A boys.

"Winning a State title" is not one of the criteria for the award.

The media does not look at just one weekend of their career. It is more of a career award based on many criteria.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:40 pm

yosports wrote:
Flip wrote:

The media does not look at just one weekend of their career. It is more of a career award based on many criteria.

That's good...otherwise we would only have 2 candidates.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby roundem6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Questionable all-stater before the tourney? I don't think so.
She is definitely one of the top 10 players in the state. North's all time leader in points, steals, and assists.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Miss Basketball Finalists:
Brittney Dietz (Beach)
Shauna Long (Standing Rock)
Taylor Kraft (Central Cass)
Katie King (Kenmare)
Sasha Golus (Turtle Mountain)
Caitlin Farroh (Grand Forks Central)
Meghan Roehrich (Fargo South)

Pretty solid crew of players
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm

yosports wrote:

Never said it was, but if there is a legit canidate winning a state title can help.

Can you list the criteria?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby yosports » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 pm

So why didn't it help Grant Lindahl who was an awesome player with a great career, great stats and whose team won a State title?

I saw the criteria a few years ago and it was a long list.

It seems like it has typically gone to the person with the better stats. That is why Shanilec won it for the boys this year. He averaged over 31 per game and other amazing stats. That is why I think it will be Long who has 29 per game this year and 2700 or so for her career. That is just my guess. I have never seen her play. 8 assists per game?? that is amazing. And other stats that are good.

There are a lot of deserving candidates this year. Some didn't even make the finalist list. Both Class A and Class B are loaded but especially Class A.

But my guess is Long will be the winner. It doesn't matter that Standing Rock did not make the State tournament. They were Region runners up and that is really good. Winning a State title is not a criteria so don't keep focusing on that. It might be 1/10 of their thinking but it is not a criteria.

I cannot list all the criteria. Did you want me to? I have google so I could find it if you are really interested.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:27 pm

yosports wrote:So why didn't it help Grant Lindahl who was an awesome player with a great career, great stats and whose team won a State title?

How do you know he didn't pick up a few votes because of it?

yosports wrote:I cannot list all the criteria. Did you want me to?

No. When I asked you to list the criteria before I was joking.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls