Mandan

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mandan

Postby oldcoach2 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:57 am

I really dont care much but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in!!
Petersen was a great Asst coach.... did all the things that a program needs to be successful...... But his personnality was not one of leadership and vision. that was problem 1, the second problem is his daughter is a GOOD basketball player NOT Great basketball player BUT he pushed the offense to her all season!! You cannt do that in the role he was in, it creates problems plain and simple.

He had a tough role to fill and people have expectations and that is unfair to him but that is what it is!!!!! Kinda like after a break up in relationships someone ends up getting the short end of the stick in rebound relationships :)

I am not from Mandan but I have watched from the sidelines and am not surprized that this happened.

He was not the best hire for the transiton that needs take place ITS THAT SIMPLE
oldcoach2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm not surprised it happened either. I think Bruins44 was right. I don't think he was objective and ran his offense (option 1,2,&3) thru his daughter who is good but not good enough to carry a team by herself. Longtin, broke her nose, scored about 20 points and he talks about his daughter in the paper. I think there was probably alot of girls in the system that got weeded out. I don't think that alone was enough to cause him to step down. We probably will never know the full story so we speculate........
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sekasum » Tue May 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Good points by you two. It is tough enough coaching let alone trying to coach your daughter. I didn't think she was great either. A good complementary player can go a long ways when the coaching staff promotes team play.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter

Postby MARKWALD23 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Heard that Len Stanley is the new head coach.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby northdakotamom » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Glad to hear that Mandan has a new head coach - will the rest of the staff reconsider or will they be looking for assistants yet. think Stanley will do a good job!
northdakotamom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Fri May 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Len Stanley is an outstanding coach and a great person. He's very organized and professional. If he really is the Mandan coach, the Braves got a gem!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbfollower » Fri May 21, 2010 2:15 pm

It was in the Tribune this morning, so it is official. I think this will be a great thing for the girls program.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Fri May 21, 2010 2:18 pm

"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Fri May 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Looks like Mandan will be on top again really soon :P Good Pick for Mandan!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Buckeys01 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Wow, this is surprising considering he is alot older and probebely only has 2-3 years more in him. Does anyone know who else they interviewed? Who came in second? I work in Mandan , and this guy also coaches there Legion team in the summer. So not sure how much of a shot anyone had at it. I had talked to some and said they were going to hire a guy in his early 30's from ND that now coaches out of state if Len had not put in.
Buckeys01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun May 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Stanely Is no longer the Legion coach.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Buckeys01 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:11 am

Which is fine, I still give him two years, and they will be in the same process again , looking for a new coach. I would think it would be hard for him to travel all over in the summer or him wanting to at his age.
Buckeys01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Eminence » Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 am

Are you serious? Next, you'll have him walking with a cane or walker. :lol: Mandan got a smart coach with years of experience and accomplishments. Congrats to Coach Stanley!

The older generation can teach the young ones a few things. Maybe they should first stop and listen. :wink:
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Mon May 24, 2010 11:57 am

Buckeys01 wrote:Which is fine, I still give him two years, and they will be in the same process again , looking for a new coach. I would think it would be hard for him to travel all over in the summer or him wanting to at his age.

Now, why would it be so hard to imagine him traveling all summer? The last time I saw him, which was only a couple of months ago, he looked to be in good health and walking around quite well. No cane, walker or other assistive device. I think Coach Stanley will be a fine addition to the Mandan Braves.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm

I heard that the out of state guy has applied for every class A opening in Bismarck Mandan for the last 6-10 openings. Something most not be right if he isn't getting jobs with that many chances.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Stanley is a college coach who just finished a successful national-qualifying season with several Bismarck-Mandan players on his roster. I think might know a few things about girls basketball. My guess is that he will balance his experience with a new coaching staff that will bring in new energy to program at the younger grades.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Buckeys01 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Wrong, He was offered the BHS job last but turned it down to his girlfriend dieing in a car accident. This is coming straight from BHS's Haussler. He has ties to ND and is very good. From my understanding he actually knows Coach Stanley and thinks and speaks very highly of him. I would not be upset coming in 2nd to a guy like Stanley

Wild Wolves wrote:I heard that the out of state guy has applied for every class A opening in Bismarck Mandan for the last 6-10 openings. Something most not be right if he isn't getting jobs with that many chances.
Buckeys01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am

So who is this guy? The one that is is applying for jobs in the area, why all the secrecy?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Buckeys01 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:59 am

From my understanding he is a native of Linton, ND where he excelled in 3-4 sports then went on to coach out of state where he has been to the state tournament 6 our of his 8 years. I guess he is at a large high school at teh 5-A level 3K students. Also coaches football in which is what he played in college. I guess his uncle coaches football at BHS also. He loves the midwest I guess and ND and wants to get back in the right situation. This is all I have heard.
Buckeys01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Buckeys01 wrote:From my understanding he is a native of Linton, ND where he excelled in 3-4 sports then went on to coach out of state where he has been to the state tournament 6 our of his 8 years. I guess he is at a large high school at teh 5-A level 3K students. Also coaches football in which is what he played in college. I guess his uncle coaches football at BHS also. He loves the midwest I guess and ND and wants to get back in the right situation. This is all I have heard.

What College did you play football at? Flyberg stepped down. Seems like the prefect fit for you.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Buckeys01 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 pm

I am not sure what college he played at. Not sure on who took the job in Linton .
Buckeys01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby northdakotamom » Tue May 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Has anyone heard about the new girls assistant coach? heard a rumor just wondering if it is true!
northdakotamom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 26, 2010 11:53 am

So again why all the 007 stuff? Who is this guy?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby mandanfanalso » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm

What age do most programs start their young basketball players? I was very disappointed today when I saw that Mandan changed their ages. In the past, they could start the summer before kindergarten. On the registration form I saw today, they can start camps in 5th grade and leagues in 4th grade. This was extremely disappointing to my third grader, who has participated in the Mandan Girls camps and leagues for the past three summers. So back to my original question, at what age do most programs start their youth?
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Buckeys01 wrote:From my understanding he is a native of Linton, ND where he excelled in 3-4 sports then went on to coach out of state where he has been to the state tournament 6 our of his 8 years. I guess he is at a large high school at teh 5-A level 3K students. Also coaches football in which is what he played in college. I guess his uncle coaches football at BHS also. He loves the midwest I guess and ND and wants to get back in the right situation. This is all I have heard.

:lol: I love all the "I guess's" to try and act like its someone else. Pretty descriptive and sounds a tad biased.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls