State Tourney

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tourney

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

Fargo South players that have played college basketball since 1992 the year this staff has been at South.
Tonah Paulson - Moorhead State, Elisha Kabanuk - UND, Micaela Bentson - Air Force, Kasey Bostow - Concordia, Kristi Kilander - UND, Tamar Elias - UND, Katie Luecke - Northwestern (Mn), Julie Bentson - Northern Colorado, Jessica Trautwein - Moorhead State, Melanie Hageman - Concordia, Cammi Greenheck - Jamestown College, Jenna Lee - Jamestown College, Katie Thorson - NSSSS, Siri Burck - UND, Meghan Roehrich - UND. Alicia Stensgard - NDSSS, thats 16 girls that I can remember, Im sure I am missing some. I think thats the next level!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Must have hit a nerve, to say anything about my kid winning every game or god help her coach is below the belt. Your stats support my arguement. To have 7 EDC titles last 10 years and no girls higher than the DAC you can't count this years team because they haven't set foot on the court. The banner on the wall in the south gym only keeps a total of State champs. As of this weekend it showed 122 titles but who's counting.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

bruin44, one other thing, my kid pulls a 4.0 and that is because of her mother and I am a coaches dream. I am a bit of an old-school parent. The kid earns the minutes or they don't play. I don't go to practice or call and complain about playing time.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:17 pm

wolves65 wrote:Must have hit a nerve, to say anything about my kid winning every game or god help her coach is below the belt. Your stats support my arguement. To have 7 EDC titles last 10 years and no girls higher than the DAC you can't count this years team because they haven't set foot on the court. The banner on the wall in the south gym only keeps a total of State champs. As of this weekend it showed 122 titles but who's counting.

The nerve you hit was you coming on a public forum and cutting down a program and coaching staff for not winning the state tournament and WOW not producing D1 players.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm

It is OK to toot your horn on a public forum but the minute someone says anything you don't like how dare you do that. This isn't t-ball anymore bruins44 you keep score and the score says one of the biggest high schools in the state hasn't won a title in girls BB in a long time. That is not an attack that is a fact. Success is a reflection of leadership.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:17 pm

The size of the school doesn't guarantee you a state championship. I think you are way off base. FS has had some very talented teams but they were not head and shoulders above the rest to assume that is was due to a lack of coaching, leadership skills or any other reason except for the fact that Mandan had a GREAT program. This doesn't mean Flaagan is not a great coach!

People often wonder what made Amundson so successful. Alot of negative speculation but it really came down to the fact that Amundson set his program to run from age 10 and up since every player was going to the same high school.

He took his varsity team traveling throughout the country playing against the best to prepare them for state. Only one time did his team win a select tournament and that was thru default. His eye was only on the prize at the end of the tournament. State Championship.

Amundson had the benefit because everyone was going to MHS so he could start it at a very early age. He took 10 year olds thru high school to Wisconsin every year. Age 10 is 4th grade. They play in Wisconsin against presses and zones. Against Chicago and Wisconsin kids.

It is only thru time that people will realize how really great and smart Amundson was.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:41 pm

size does matter, you have more kids to pick from. Look at south football, you win in a school that size you don't rebuild you reload and that is what Feeney did. Congrats to him and good luck a Moorhead. Both the boys and girls programs at south need some new blood in them and with the split it will happen. Great coaches are copied all the time. Little Bruins camp does not count as building a program. My point this whole time is the talent is sitting right there it just needs to be pushed along.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:56 pm

this is my last post on this subject, if winning the state title is the only thing that makes a program great then I guess most HS programs are failures. I dont think South has had to rebuild they have reloaded for the past 18 years, over 300 wins proves that. "talent is sitting right there it just needs to be pushed along" What does that mean? Pushed along? They do win and win often... again your only argument is they have not won state in 16 years. Century just won their first in over 20 years and they have had a good program that entire time. When was the last time Minot won state? are you saying their program is bad? they are a huge school too. Do you know how many kids in a big school dont play sports? There are probably as many boys and girls at Shanley playing sports as South.
Last edited by bruins44 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:08 pm

good jabbing with you Bruins44 keep hanging those EDC banners
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
bruins44 wrote:
wolves65 wrote:Fargo South gets by on talent alone and once they run up against teams with equeal talent they get beat because of coaching. They need new blood in the coaching ranks that will develop the program not just wait around and see who shows up in 9th grade.

wolves65, I read in one of your previous posts that you dont follow Class A girls basketball much, if thats the case then how can you judge Fargo South!? They have had one of the most successful programs in the State for most of this coaching staffs tenure, LOOK it UP. Who do you think develops that talent? Have you been to their summer camps for elemenary and Jr high girls? summer daily workouts? summer team camps? Name me another team that started 2 sophs and a jr last year and went 24-1, and 3 jrs and a soph this year and went 21-4. Won the EDC tournament for the 5th year in a row? Lets see, they were 2-1 against Red River this year, 2-1 against North, 3-0 vs Shanley and 1-1 against Century, all equal talent as South. The EDC teams finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th at the State this year. Your arguments holds no water and you know nothing about their program.

Completely agree! South has always had a strong program, and anyone who follows Class A ball should know that the competition is expanding and it is very tough get to the Championship game. They did it 2 years in a row. There were top ranked teams who didn't even get to the tournament, and the #1 ranked team entered the State tourney as a 3rd seed out of their region. High school coaches are coaching 14-18 year old kids. There are a lot of factors that can make coaching challenging, and if anyone can continue to have a succesful program year after year, they should be respected.

Wolves 65, you blame coaches when a team like south loses the state game. When that program has been one of the top high school programs ever since Flaggen took over the position from Bruce Scheie in 1992.Get real buddy, you have no CLUE!! Flaggen must have cut you when he coached boys back in the 80's for responses you have been giving. Here is some stats for you. RECORD 335-113; STATE COTY 4 times; EDC COTY 7 times; twice in his 18 year career had below .500 season ; Coached 3 state championship teams and 4 state runner ups; Coached 25 All Staters in 18 years; Coached 50 All EDC players in 18 years. You call it bad coaching.I call it a DYNASTY he and his assistants have made!!!
I dont blame Flaggen for losing. Did you see the game? 2 players came to play that game!!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller#1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Wolves65 - So you were at a JO volleyball tourney last weekend...can't your daughter make the basketball team? Good thing you moved out of South Fargo so maybe she can play. Doesn't feel so good to have your kid bashed on a public forum does it? Also, what's wrong with playing in the DAC? If a kid can get a scholarship to play at any level after high school good for them! Did you know there is not one senior boy from Minnesota that has verbally committed to play DI next year. (Big state compared to ND, ie your big school comment)? Mr. know it all, in the last 10 years, excluding NDSU and UND who just went Division 1, give me a list of all the girls who signed Division 1 scholarships who were from ND. Not very many is it? So why critisize the Fargo South program and it's coaches? Lots of teams don't have kids that go on to play college ball. Other then Amundson I don't think there were many coaching staff's in the state who spent as much time in the summer as the South coaches did taking their teams to camps around the country. There are a lot of girls basketball players from other schools who would have loved to have play on the South teams the last 10+ years with all their success. Get a life.
Baller#1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 pm

There is just a lack of respect of the teams and the players that played in the last 2 state championships. Bismarck last year beat South, but had to have Feeney who is now playing D1 ball to put up an MVP night, and Sigl who is an All-American juco player was right there with her. South did not choke, Bismarck was tough, and so was the WDA. Fans from the EDC just didn't get a chance to see that until state. This year there were 4 D1 athletes on the court, and it took a starting sophomore and a player off the bench to step up to make the big difference for Century. There was good coaching on both sides, the 2 best teams in the state who won their region earned the right to be there, and it really came down to the players who could really pull it together in the end. There are professional athletes who get paid 12 million a year who can't pull off the win when needed.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:54 am

So wolves65, How many college basketball players has your school produced in the last 10 years? How many state championships do you have?

Tell me what other school in the EDC or even the state for that matter (other than Mandan) that has had more success and more college basketball players than Fargo South and their coaching staff.

I think you need to stop listening to disgrunteled south parents that complain that their kid isnt good enough to play or that the top players dont plass to their kid enough.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am

scoobyx2 wrote:There is just a lack of respect of the teams and the players that played in the last 2 state championships. Bismarck last year beat South, but had to have Feeney who is now playing D1 ball to put up an MVP night, and Sigl who is an All-American juco player was right there with her. South did not choke, Bismarck was tough, and so was the WDA. Fans from the EDC just didn't get a chance to see that until state. This year there were 4 D1 athletes on the court, and it took a starting sophomore and a player off the bench to step up to make the big difference for Century. There was good coaching on both sides, the 2 best teams in the state who won their region earned the right to be there, and it really came down to the players who could really pull it together in the end. There are professional athletes who get paid 12 million a year who can't pull off the win when needed.

SO TRUE!!!! Coach Flaagan does a great job with his program. I could see if he failed to make it to state but they made it to the championship game two years in a row. No one wants to win it more than him. But he didn't shoot the ball for them, all he can do is give them the tools to do it. Which he did!

This blogger sounds like a disgruntled parent and isn't worth the attention it is getting other than the fact to give congrats and thanks to a great coach. Great Job Flaagan!
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls