Century Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Century Basketball

Postby pimpdaddyG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:01 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
Eminence wrote:
KiNg LeBrOn wrote:
Eminence wrote:Oh and the boy, Govig is still average at best. sorry.

I would definitely say Govig is above average. He will be all-WDA. He is the leader of Century, a top 5 in state team. You have to give him some credit, he is 6'1" by far the shortest center in WDA, and he still is 4th in WDA in boards. He averages about 13 points per game. He is also the stongest guy in the WDA. If he was 6'4" like most of the centers he would be really good.

I can see your point. But he is short for a post and isn't a leaper nor does he posses any really "wow" post moves. I guess when people hyped him up as this awesome player, I was left with a "I don't really see it" opinion. If I didn't have this high expectation previously, I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed. Guess thats what happens when people exaggerate.

From the last games I have seen, I would say Jacobs is the strongest player on Century team going into the WDA. Anyway...I think we should steer this topic back to the Century girls team, or we could easily get into a discussion of nicknames for Century boys players...LOL.

No way, bruce is way stronger the jacobs. seriously,
pimpdaddyG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:26 am

Sorry, strength only makes him an average basketball player. Maybe a better football player.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby KiNg LeBrOn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 am

pimpdaddyG wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Eminence wrote:
KiNg LeBrOn wrote:
Eminence wrote:Oh and the boy, Govig is still average at best. sorry.

I would definitely say Govig is above average. He will be all-WDA. He is the leader of Century, a top 5 in state team. You have to give him some credit, he is 6'1" by far the shortest center in WDA, and he still is 4th in WDA in boards. He averages about 13 points per game. He is also the stongest guy in the WDA. If he was 6'4" like most of the centers he would be really good.

I can see your point. But he is short for a post and isn't a leaper nor does he posses any really "wow" post moves. I guess when people hyped him up as this awesome player, I was left with a "I don't really see it" opinion. If I didn't have this high expectation previously, I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed. Guess thats what happens when people exaggerate.

From the last games I have seen, I would say Jacobs is the strongest player on Century team going into the WDA. Anyway...I think we should steer this topic back to the Century girls team, or we could easily get into a discussion of nicknames for Century boys players...LOL.

No way, bruce is way stronger the jacobs. seriously,

When he says Jacobs is stronger, I don't think he meant physical strength, even though Garrett is very strong. But Garrett has been coming on strong of lately and has had a couple of nice, strong games to give him confidence in the tourney.
Swag is vicious
KiNg LeBrOn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magicmorman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 am

good point. jacobs usually performs the same throughout all games. he is not the top scorer, but he has found other ways to contribute to the team
Mormon Hill’ had been long designated ‘as the place in which countless treasures were buried
magicmorman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Well, both players looked average. They did not have the skill set of Kelpenski or Hanstad. Both maybe the top of what Century has to offer but I was relying on the post that Govig was "Great". Sorry, but didn't see it.

Back to the Girls, Century will need the younger class next year to step up. I didn't see any younger players that will fill the shoes of Buck and Peterson. Lorras had potential but next year they will be missing alot.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby KiNg LeBrOn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Eminence wrote:Well, both players looked average. They did not have the skill set of Kelpenski or Hanstad. Both maybe the top of what Century has to offer but I was relying on the post that Govig was "Great". Sorry, but didn't see it.

Back to the Girls, Century will need the younger class next year to step up. I didn't see any younger players that will fill the shoes of Buck and Peterson. Lorras had potential but next year they will be missing alot.

I think they will continue to be one of the top teams in the west next year. They have 2 sophomores that start, Jeske and Jacobs. Ann Govig gets significant minutes off the bench. They also have a couple more girls in this years soph class that will contribute next year.
Swag is vicious
KiNg LeBrOn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:02 pm

KiNg LeBrOn wrote:
Eminence wrote:Well, both players looked average. They did not have the skill set of Kelpenski or Hanstad. Both maybe the top of what Century has to offer but I was relying on the post that Govig was "Great". Sorry, but didn't see it.

I think they will continue to be one of the top teams in the west next year. They have 2 sophomores that start, Jeske and Jacobs. Ann Govig gets significant minutes off the bench. They also have a couple more girls in this years soph class that will contribute next year.

Next years senior class is very strong, and Century doesn't have any of them. Look to TM, Mandan, Dickinson, and Minot to be in the top 5 with Bismarck fighting to get in there. The East will also be very strong with Red River and South.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pimpdaddyG » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm

next years seniors won't be very good at century. but the current sophmores will be a very good senior class
pimpdaddyG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby aaronrules » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:49 pm

pimpdaddyG wrote:next years seniors won't be very good at century. but the current sophmores will be a very good senior class

I am going to have to strongly disagree with you pimpdaddy. The upcoming seniors at century are probably the most underrated group in the state. As freshman, they only lost to BHS and took second at the end of the year tournament. As sophomores, they went undefeated, won the end of the year tournament and only had one game that was within ten points; otherwise they blew teams out by at least twenty. This year they lost one game in the WDA. Their overall record since they have started playing for Century is 51-5 and they've scored over 1,000 points as a team every year. Anyone who has gone to watch them would see that they have fantastic ball movement and play aggressive, full court, in your face defense, something that is becoming a rare thing to see these days. One might argue they are more exciting to watch then the varsity on given nights. Unfortunetly, these girls rarely get a chance to prove themselves. However, they can score no matter how much time is left in the game when they are finally allowed to go in. Jessie Steinwand hit a 3-pointer to beat the shot clock against Dickinson in the opening round of the WDA tournament and Stacy Peterson had a beautiful score under the basket against Williston in the WDA championship game. If these girls continue to play their game, they will be just fine and so will the Patriots. Make my words, these girls will surprise A LOT of people.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby shelly k » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 am

aaronrules wrote:
pimpdaddyG wrote:next years seniors won't be very good at century. but the current sophmores will be a very good senior class

I am going to have to strongly disagree with you pimpdaddy. The upcoming seniors at century are probably the most underrated group in the state. As freshman, they only lost to BHS and took second at the end of the year tournament. As sophomores, they went undefeated, won the end of the year tournament and only had one game that was within ten points; otherwise they blew teams out by at least twenty. This year they lost one game in the WDA. Their overall record since they have started playing for Century is 51-5 and they've scored over 1,000 points as a team every year. Anyone who has gone to watch them would see that they have fantastic ball movement and play aggressive, full court, in your face defense, something that is becoming a rare thing to see these days. One might argue they are more exciting to watch then the varsity on given nights. Unfortunetly, these girls rarely get a chance to prove themselves. However, they can score no matter how much time is left in the game when they are finally allowed to go in. Jessie Steinwand hit a 3-pointer to beat the shot clock against Dickinson in the opening round of the WDA tournament and Stacy Peterson had a beautiful score under the basket against Williston in the WDA championship game. If these girls continue to play their game, they will be just fine and so will the Patriots. Make my words, these girls will surprise A LOT of people.

Are you serious?? Did you watch scrub time the end of the WDA champ game? The century juniors looked like 8th graders. How many of the real playmakers on the old teams you mentioned are still on the century team? None, as they ran them out to give playing time to the 3 soph's. :evil: Next years seniors will be a big let down from this years.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magicmorman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 am

thank you. you said exactly what i didn't want to say
Mormon Hill’ had been long designated ‘as the place in which countless treasures were buried
magicmorman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 am

Next year and the year after, they will have Jacobs, and hopefully they haven't weeded out too much talent in the junior high and can move up some talented freshmen to build something around her for her senior year (2 years from now). They should maybe look for someone who can dribble with her left hand, and can learn the plays. Unfortunately, by then, Mandan will have regrouped and will be strong again in WDA with their current freshman.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby aaronrules » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 am

shelly k wrote:
aaronrules wrote:

Are you serious?? Did you watch scrub time the end of the WDA champ game? The century juniors looked like 8th graders. How many of the real playmakers on the old teams you mentioned are still on the century team? None, as they ran them out to give playing time to the 3 soph's. :evil: Next years seniors will be a big let down from this years.

Yes I am serious and I did watch the WDA championship game-I wouldn't be saying all this if I couldn't back it up. haha Here are the playmakers that will be seniors next year.
1.Tyler Lorras-started half the year when Madi Buck was hurt and is one of the first off the bench at the post position.
2.Jordan Adolf-also one one of the first off the bench, this time as a guard
3.Jessie Steinwand-plays great denfense, can knock down the 3 ball and passes well
4.Stacy Peterson-great moves inside and great ball movement
5.Courtney McDonald-quick and scrappy. can knock down the shot and distribute the ball well.
6. Jenna Wood-this girl has come a long way and has a strong post presence inside.
I'm not trying to say that this next years seniors will come in and replace this years like nothing happened. I'm not foolish, I know a class like this is very hard, if not impossible to replace ever, let alone in one year. All I am trying to say is next years seniors are a very capable group who will be able to hold their own and make a name for themselves when given the chance.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby shelly k » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:22 pm

aaronrules wrote:
shelly k wrote:
aaronrules wrote:

Yes I am serious and I did watch the WDA championship game-I wouldn't be saying all this if I couldn't back it up. haha Here are the playmakers that will be seniors next year.
1.Tyler Lorras-started half the year when Madi Buck was hurt and is one of the first off the bench at the post position.
2.Jordan Adolf-also one one of the first off the bench, this time as a guard
3.Jessie Steinwand-plays great denfense, can knock down the 3 ball and passes well
4.Stacy Peterson-great moves inside and great ball movement
5.Courtney McDonald-quick and scrappy. can knock down the shot and distribute the ball well.
6. Jenna Wood-this girl has come a long way and has a strong post presence inside.
I'm not trying to say that this next years seniors will come in and replace this years like nothing happened. I'm not foolish, I know a class like this is very hard, if not impossible to replace ever, let alone in one year. All I am trying to say is next years seniors are a very capable group who will be able to hold their own and make a name for themselves when given the chance.

They are nice kids so I will not reply point by point. However, there is no way they will carry 6 Seniors next year. Two of these, maybe 3 (if there is sufficient parental pressure) will see the court.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Very good point on the seniors. I would think they would go with the 2 that got some significant play time this year, and then concentrate on developing some incoming sophomores. Even this year's sophomores aren't super strong. They get a lot of looks this year and are doing well because the defense is more worried about the big 3 (Buck, Peterson, and Jacobs).
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby aaronrules » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:55 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:Very good point on the seniors. I would think they would go with the 2 that got some significant play time this year, and then concentrate on developing some incoming sophomores. Even this year's sophomores aren't super strong. They get a lot of looks this year and are doing well because the defense is more worried about the big 3 (Buck, Peterson, and Jacobs).

I agree. Although, I'm leaning more toward keeping 3 seniors instead of two just due to the simple fact you're going to need people on the bench who have a least some varisty experience.
3 seniors
3 juniors (Jeske, Govig, and Jacobs)
The rest is all up in the air I guess..most likely some of the sophomores (will be juniors) who played a lot of JV this year will sit varsity and be first off the bench.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:11 pm

aaronrules wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Very good point on the seniors. I would think they would go with the 2 that got some significant play time this year, and then concentrate on developing some incoming sophomores. Even this year's sophomores aren't super strong. They get a lot of looks this year and are doing well because the defense is more worried about the big 3 (Buck, Peterson, and Jacobs).

I agree. Although, I'm leaning more toward keeping 3 seniors instead of two just due to the simple fact you're going to need people on the bench who have a least some varisty experience.
3 seniors
3 juniors (Jeske, Govig, and Jacobs)
The rest is all up in the air I guess..most likely some of the sophomores (will be juniors) who played a lot of JV this year will sit varsity and be first off the bench.

I am not very familiar on this year's junior class, but they need to concentrate on developing some taller post players who will end up in the starting lineup by tournament time even if they have to risk losing games early on. Williston (and Century) is a great example of what can happen at tournament time with tall players inside. Also, speed is an issue on defense since they will no longer be able to "tower" teams on the press next year.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 pm

AJ is all they really have next year. The rest were average.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby aaronrules » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Great points scoobyx2. I def. think this years jr. class has people that can fill those rolls. Many of the guards have solid speed and know how to play full court in your face defense. The post players also have a solid base of skill...a little fine turining over the summer and Century will be in good shape next year. Like every other team losing seniors, its just going to take some time for the current sophomores/juniors to gel together and get that team chemistry. I also agree with Eminence that the rest of the people that saw ample playing time at the varisty level were in fact average.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby crazymonkey2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 pm

My only question is coaching seriously your up 25 points in the WDA championship and they wait till the last 2 minutes to put the bench in. Also Steinwand should get more playing time the coach puts her in for 1 minute with nobody making anything, she sinks a three and then he takes her right back out,It just doesnt make much sense to me.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed
--Michael Jordan
crazymonkey2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:03 pm

crazymonkey2 wrote:My only question is coaching seriously your up 25 points in the WDA championship and they wait till the last 2 minutes to put the bench in. Also Steinwand should get more playing time the coach puts her in for 1 minute with nobody making anything, she sinks a three and then he takes her right back out,It just doesnt make much sense to me.

Century wasn't really able to put Williston away until the end. Williston was able to get within 10 several times. Also, it was tough watching the bench the last 2 minutes so I think the coaching staff did us all a favor.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby crazymonkey2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
crazymonkey2 wrote:My only question is coaching seriously your up 25 points in the WDA championship and they wait till the last 2 minutes to put the bench in. Also Steinwand should get more playing time the coach puts her in for 1 minute with nobody making anything, she sinks a three and then he takes her right back out,It just doesnt make much sense to me.

Century wasn't really able to put Williston away until the end. Williston was able to get within 10 several times. Also, it was tough watching the bench the last 2 minutes so I think the coaching staff did us all a favor.

Im sorry I didnt know the bench was supposed to look like superstars my bad. They ran a perfect play and peterson put it in. The only thing that I had trouble watching was the sophomores throwing it away.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed
--Michael Jordan
crazymonkey2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:26 pm

crazymonkey2 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

Im sorry I didnt know the bench was supposed to look like superstars my bad. They ran a perfect play and peterson put it in. The only thing that I had trouble watching was the sophomores throwing it away.

I'll agree with you on the sophomores, but I see them as part of the bench (even if they start or play a lot), and it didn't look good especially when Peterson finally sat down. I think they do a fine job filling in with the main players and may improve, but they didn't show any ability to lead the team anytime soon.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shelly k » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:41 pm

crazymonkey2 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

There was only one sophomore in the scrub rotation the rest were juniors which does not bode well. The last 2 minutes of that game were awful for both teams :oops: .
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby crazymonkey2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 pm

shelly k wrote:
crazymonkey2 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

There was only one sophomore in the scrub rotation the rest were juniors which does not bode well. The last 2 minutes of that game were awful for both teams :oops: .

Tessa Delzer and Kelsy Shots or however ou spell it are 2 sophomores
--Michael Jordan
crazymonkey2
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls