Ali Collins

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Ali Collins

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:30 am

Ali Collins just completed a whirlwind visit of 4 outstanding colleges. I believe her big decision is coming down to 3 very prestigious D1 programs, a top-notch D2 school, and a junior college that has a strong and consistent reputation of placing their top players in competitive D1 schools. She has been a very intelligent and patient recruit. She has definitely impressed many coaches with her game and personality. Ali is definitely not an attention hound, and knows that the only things that counts is how you play. The decision will be made in the details. Good luck on your decision. You have been a great rep for North Dakota girls basketball. Whatever school you choose will be big.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Ali Collins

Postby mandanfanalso » Fri May 08, 2009 6:18 pm

Okay, so we have been patient here. It is like a suspenseful movie where the ending is taking too long to happen. Any word yet???
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:34 am

Yes. It is starting to become like that. No one is happy about it.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby whateverittakes » Tue May 19, 2009 4:07 pm

balla45 wrote:Yes. It is starting to become like that. No one is happy about it.
where she go
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby upnext » Wed May 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Bradley or Berry (FL) a DII school
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 pm

upnext wrote:Bradley or Berry (FL) a DII school

Seems to me that her stock isn't as high as it was believed to be. These are not "big" time basketball programs. A D2 school in FL...why not just go to UMary???
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed May 20, 2009 4:13 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:
upnext wrote:Bradley or Berry (FL) a DII school

Seems to me that her stock isn't as high as it was believed to be. These are not "big" time basketball programs. A D2 school in FL...why not just go to UMary???

schools arent interchangealbe just because they are D2. Maybe Mary doesnt offer the major she wants to pursue. just because she didnt choose a "big" school, doesnt mean she wasnt looked at by them. this recruitment has been pretty secretive, maybe thats why shes picking the smaller school in Bradley instead of Big 10, Big 12 school. MVC is not a bad conference to play in. maybe dont expect a title, but its always a competative conference both mens and womens. why did Dufualt pick Colorado over NDSU and Arizona State? you must not know much about recruiting if you think she should go to Mary just because she picked a D2 school in Florida.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm

After meeting with several coaching staffs, I believe Ali's decision has come down to two private schools...Bradley University in Peoria and Barry University in Miami Shores, Fl. Bradley is the smallest D1 school she visited, but is strong in her chosen field and is very dedicated to women's athletics. Also, her dad grew up in Peoria and she would have a lot of family there to support her. Barry University is a big D2 school that could give Ali an opportunity to step in right away with a lot of playing time. Also, they have an amazing hands-on academic program , and who could argue living in sunny Miami after this last winter. I guess we will know soon...
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Final situation.

She already signed.

The Big 10 school would have made her walk on the first year, with 3 years scholarship.
Congratulations to Aleshia Collins and good luck at Bradley.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:17 pm

all that waiting just for Bradley? She made it seem like she was deciding between like UConn and Maryland. Sorry but just calling it like I see it. But good luck in the future good to see a ND athlete go D1
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat May 23, 2009 7:05 pm

do you realize that all that waiting for you was the biggest decision of her life for her?? she wasnt waiting to announce to play up going to a big school. she was waiting to announce because she was looking at all the options of each school that were best for her.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:53 pm

baseball18 wrote:all that waiting just for Bradley? She made it seem like she was deciding between like UConn and Maryland. Sorry but just calling it like I see it. But good luck in the future good to see a ND athlete go D1

Ali didn't try make it sound like she was going to a school like UConn or Maryland, it was someone on this site who was speculating on her decision without knowing all the details. She seriously considered a Big 10 school and another MVC program in Illinois along with the D2 school in Florida, and decided that Bradley was the best fit for her. You are right though, it is good to see great players from ND like Collins get a chance to compete at that level.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun May 24, 2009 2:16 pm

She should do great at Bradley, hopefully she gets a lot of early playing time and has the time of her life.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby soykevinendall » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 am

Bradley? good one you guys.

COLLINSTOILLINOISCENTRAL

Mandan's Ali Collins has signed a letter of intent to play basketball at Illinois Central College, a junior college in East Peoria, Ill.

She helped the Braves win three state basketball championships and was named Miss Basketball last season.

The 5-foot-9 guard averaged 19.0 points, 7.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 5.8 steals a game for Mandan in her senior season.

Collins was a two-time first-team all-state selection and a three-time selection overall.

So much for big time. Maybe after two years?
"There's something about St. Mary's that brings it out."
"I've been off lately, but I got in a rhythm and started making some shots. I wanted the ball. At the end I wanted to be the one to put it away."
"We really wanted it and we never gave up. We just kept battling."
soykevinendall
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 am

I think people around here have a under appreciated perception of JUCOs.

ICC seems like a very successful school and you still have the option of going anywhere in a year or two. If you're a NCAA qualifier you can transfer after 1 year, if you're not a qualifier you have to go the full 2 yrs at a JUCO. Looks like a good number of their alumni went on to Bradley so maybe thats the connection. A lot of times a 4 yr school will use a jr college as a feeder program to get players more experience. At a jr college you'll play a full schedule where as if you're at a 4 year you might see limited or JV action for the first year or so.

ICC
NJCAA DIVISION II NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
1992, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006

2nd in the nation – 2005
3rd in the nation – 1983, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2008
4th in the nation – 1994, 1996

Alumni:
http://www.icc.edu/athletics/basketballW/alumni.asp
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby KyleJRM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 am

ICC and Bradley are in the same town, I'm imagining there's some sort of deal worked out there.
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:51 am

Collins was on KFYR TV last night (sports evening) and she talked about Bradley and having to go to ICC for 1 year because her math scores were too low and that she had just gotten her D-1 status.
http://www.kfyrtv.com/Video_6_Sports.asp

Also, on ICC website there is a link to their newspaper and here is an article from ICC coach.
http://www.pjstar.com/sports_icc
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:44 pm

KyleJRM wrote:ICC and Bradley are in the same town, I'm imagining there's some sort of deal worked out there.

There is a strong connection between the two schools considering that a top assistant at Bradley and the head coach at ICC are brother and sister. To say that ICC is a feeder to Bradley as well as several other D1 programs is an understatement. Congratulations to Ali on a great decision. It gets you on the court right away with a strong possibility of winning a national championship at the Junior College level, and off to D1. Being close to family is icing on the cake. Good luck!
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls