Century and Mandan Round 1

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Century and Mandan Round 1

Postby aaronrules » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:52 pm

Century: 67
Mandan: 63

Any thoughts?
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Re: Century and Mandan Round 1

Postby balla45 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Century won. Mandan fouled out Collins, Zander, Sandau, and Helmers I believe.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:15 am

This surprises me I guess. I was not impressed with Century after seeing them against South. Mandan will win round 2.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:39 am

Mandan was very scrappy. Century should have dominated at home but almost lost it and they had 4 players on the bench. There was a lot of foul calling so it was hard to enjoy the game. The paper said 58 fouls and in a 36 minute game. Mandan had 36 of those and Century will not get those on a neutral floor. I think it hurts a team when refs step in that much. What each team should work on???? tough to see when there is a whistle every 20 seconds and not a lot of fun to watch.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:03 am

I'll give Century credit. They played tough defense and had a good shot selection (except the 25ft bankshots, but if they fall I suppose it's a good shot) Mandan didn't shoot very well, particularly early. They were missing free throws and they're always a good free throw shooting team. I chalk it up to a learning experience and a lot of girls got to experience a loud, crazy and pressure packed game. I think it'll go a long way to solidifying Mandan's depth.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ballingman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 am

Eminence wrote:Mandan was very scrappy. Century should have dominated at home but almost lost it and they had 4 players on the bench. There was a lot of foul calling so it was hard to enjoy the game. The paper said 58 fouls and in a 36 minute game. Mandan had 36 of those and Century will not get those on a neutral floor. I think it hurts a team when refs step in that much. What each team should work on???? tough to see when there is a whistle every 20 seconds and not a lot of fun to watch.

I dont think Century had that much of an advantage over Mandan. Mandan brought a lot of fans...mostly parents.But so did Century.And It was definatley a physical game, the refs missed some easy ones and made some dicey ones. Mandan girls are biggers so obviously less calls are gonna go their way.So I dont think it would have made much of a differance if the game was played at Century or Mandan.
4 A.M we ran a miracle mile
Ballingman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:37 pm

I don't know what a bigger is so I assume it's negative name calling, not certain.

The point wasn't necessarily whose gym but the lopsided foul count, whether deserved or not is always upto interpretation. The game dragged on for OVER 2 HOURS. Everyone was getting tired of watching it because it was not a spectator game and probably only a game a parent would love to watch.

With 58 fouls according to the paper and 36 minutes in a game, what can anyone really take out of it. The math computes to a foul ever 37 seconds.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm

I think biggers was a typo and he meant bigger.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Eminence wrote:I don't know what a bigger is so I assume it's negative name calling, not certain.

The point wasn't necessarily whose gym but the lopsided foul count, whether deserved or not is always upto interpretation. The game dragged on for OVER 2 HOURS. Everyone was getting tired of watching it because it was not a spectator game and probably only a game a parent would love to watch.

With 58 fouls according to the paper and 36 minutes in a game, what can anyone really take out of it.
The math computes to a foul ever 37 seconds.

eminence, i dont think even a parent enjoyed that game the way it sounds with all the fouls. how could either team even come close to getting into a rythm. i know being a ref isnt the easiest job. lets let the kids play but always keep control of the game.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I was trying to be nice :) There was no flow to the game whatsoever. From a spectator's standpoint, it was not an entertaining event. It Sxcked. The boys game, even though Century was getting killed was more fun to watch. When a player would make a move or a shot, everyone would cheer. But in the girls game, it was seeing air blow thru a whistle. I swear it was every 10-20 seconds the game stopped. I looked at my watch at the end of the game and it was 9:36pm and it started at 7:30.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:47 am

There is an easy way to fix all those whistles....QUIT FOULING! You have to adjust to the way the game is being called. Some refs call a tight game, some refs let it get more physical. ADJUST! Mandan plays a very physical style of defense, I think we all know that, nothing wrong with that - obviously its worked for them, but if the game is being called that tight, you need to back it off a little bit, or else you end up with 4 players fouling out. Some refs are so intimidated/enthralled/in awe of Mandan, they don't call all those bumps on their press. Then the other team is in trouble. Some refs are going to call all those bumps, then you have what happened Friday night.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby mandanfanalso » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:09 am

I think the part about the fouling that was the most frustrating was that it was very inconsistent. There were several huge fouls that were allowed, while fouls that were taking players out of the game were questionable.
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Deuce » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:52 am

Some were kind of strange like collins' 4th was for hooking in the post on the low block. She was cutting and when she spun to get position she apparently hooked the defender. At least to the ref standing at half court because the ref on the baseline didn't seem to see it. The only hooking call all night so it would have been hard to "adjust" to that call. But it happens every year there and its done. At least 6 girls didn't foul out like 2 yrs ago.. they're making progress. :lol:
Last edited by Deuce on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mandanfanalso » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:22 pm

You are right! It is done. I am impressed with how the Mandan girls hung in there after some of there starters did foul out. I think that was a good experience for them.
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:23 pm

I don't think Mandan has too much to worry about in the WDA anymore. They won't play on Century's home court, and on a neutral one, Century won't be an issue. Fargo South on the other hand...

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Deuce wrote:Some were kind of strange like collins' 4th was for hooking in the post on the low block. She was cutting and when she spun to get position she apparently hooked the defender. At least to the ref standing at half court because the ref on the baseline didn't seem to see it. The only hooking call all night so it would have been hard to "adjust" to that call. But it happens every year there and its done. At least 6 girls didn't foul out like 2 yrs ago.. they're making progress. :lol:

Yeah, you're right about that. It is difficult if the refs are inconsistent, no doubt. I didn't see the game. How would you compare the talent level of the 2 teams?
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby upnext » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:16 am

Watching this game with two talented teams and a couple refs who like to try to outdo each other by blowing their whistles every twenty seconds is the main reason why Bismarck schools should get refs from out of town. This way we will know who the better teams> Heres the thing go to the WDA tourneys or state tourneys with neutral refs and see why Mandan wins. The ticky tack fouls that add up to fifty eight or whatever never happens. And its obvious however that Mandans best player usually fouls out at CHS...Its called homerism at its finest and comes from refs that want games! period
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby SoccerFAN » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Century still won the game. It seems to me like everyone is just making excuses for Mandan not winning. Blame the refs all you want. Mandan still lost
SoccerFAN

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:35 am

SoccerFAN wrote:Century still won the game. It seems to me like everyone is just making excuses for Mandan not winning. Blame the refs all you want. Mandan still lost

No excuses, Mandan didn't win. It could be said that Century didn't play great either. I haven't seen Buck play a lot, but I am always suprised to see a player air ball a free throw. I don't think either team played to the top of their abilities. Very impressed with Century's guards, and Breanna Levi.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:31 am

I'd say Century won because they shot better. Mandan missed way too many free throws. Of the 13 missed free throws 5 were the front end of 1-1.
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:59 am

Mandan has a point. I wasn't real impressed with Century. After 10 fouls in each half you hit the double bonus so that gave Century 28 more freethrow attempts and Century still almost lost the game. If that girl would have hit the 3 point shot with 7 seconds left, Century would have lost. Lucky for Century that Mandan was off on their freethrows.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Talent wise I think Century has some very good athletes. Sorenson had an excellent game. 20pts, 6 rebounds. I think Century may be a little rusty from vb and not playing very much bb before the season. I think they'll keep getting better as the year goes on. From Mandan, I was impressed with Breanna Levi. 7-11, 3-4 19pts and 8 rebounds.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Has there been an emphasis in ND to "clean" up the game? I know the past two years in MN during the rules clinics they have made it a point to make the game less physical in post and to really watch the hand checking and pushing fouls on the perimeter.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:13 am

I agree that it should be refed so the game doesn't get out of control but when a whistle is blown every 20 seconds, it appeared they were trying to ref the perfect game.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby aaronrules » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:57 am

this was a very physical game and therfore hard to ref. Some obvious fouls were missed and some weak ones were called. Bottom line, good teams should be able to rise above the refs. Mandan missed way to many free throws down the stretch and Century took advantage of theres. When a lot of fouls are called in a game, it shows how much dicipline a team has and shows that you need to have a strong bench. Going 7 deep in a game isnt going to cut it in this type of game. What else affected the game besides the refs?
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls