Miss Basketball 2008 -2009

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball 2008 -2009

Postby bball_fan71 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:35 am

Eminence wrote:What is her stats? How is she dominating?

7steals 6 assists 18 pnts I believe she is averaging. Im having trouble finding class B stats but she is definately taking NRS places.
bball_fan71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 pm

ul371 wrote:I'm to the point that I would like to have the stats for the Class A not posted until after the season. That would make it fairer for the girls from Class B since their stats are not public at this time.

I'll use a couple of examples that Eminence used and put a different slant on the stats and what can be said:

Collins - a lot of games over 20 ppg, about 7 steals a game, about 6 turnovers a game (net +1 of a steal turnover ratio)

Dale - Poor shooting percentage, however shooting roughly 10 freethrows a game. That could mean probably 40-50 shots fouled in the act of shooting. If she wasn't fouled and made 1/2 of these shots, she could probably be close to 50% shooting.

Knife - Good player, but we can only guess at this time on her stats, which is not fair to her if the other girls are public.

Feeney - Was hurt, now getting up to speed. Playing the role that is required for her team. Eminence was not impressed after seeing 1, 2, or 3 games of Feeney this year. Missed the other 4 or 5 games that she probably was great.

Haring - Probably a great defensive player (probably guards the best player on the other team), is a leader, and plays the role that is required for her team. Her way of contributing points probably is preventing the opposing player from getting their 12-15 ppg.

The truth is, all these girls are good and any coach in the state would be happy to have them on their team.

We as visiting fans can not make accurate statements about these girls (that are not local) and what they mean to their team if all we see them is 1-3 times a year and only know what we read.

Get rid of the stats postings during the season (put the availability of the stats of Class A and B on the same playing field during the season) and post them after the season. Since scoring, steals, & rebounding appears to be all some people look at, they can read that in the local paper.

I do agree with the stat part. I think Class B should be much more public. I would love to know what Knife is averaging, however, stats are overrated. Haring could put up 20 a game, but she has 4 other players averaging double figures, so she does not have to. While Collins could put up 30 a game, but has no one to take pressure off of her, so he only gets 19. It goes both ways.

Haring has to be a candidate though. Nearly averaging a triple double.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:44 pm

2 items. 1. regarding caitlyn haring. instead of just going on points, ask yourself which player on the team could south least afford to lose? i think the answer would be haring. she's leading the entire conference in steals and assists, is 9th in rebounding at 5'7, is 6th in ft shooting, guards the best player on the othe team, and is averaging over 10 ppg. If one of south's other players couldn't play for some reason, they would still be good/great, but if haring went down, they would not be the same team. she should be one of the top miss basketball candidates. 2. instead of complaining about stats being posted for class a players, how bout class b joining this little thing we call the internet and start posting their stats too. typical class b thinking, yes, lets keep everyone's stats a big secret, therefore we can vote on mr/miss basketball by hearsay. :roll:
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby mplsfan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:59 am

Where exactly are all these Class A stats being posted that Class B is coming up so short? Of course it's a conspiracy by Class B teams to keep things quiet so they can just talk big and get a Miss Basketball "by hearsay" with nothing to really back it up. I think that idea is a bit of a stretch. I don't know Shaunna Knife's complete stats but I do know that her last three games have been 18,19 and 32 (tonight against Grafton).
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:22 am

East stats: http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.com/edc/girls/

West stats: http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcbb/Girls/index.html

In the past the NDHSAA website has had the Class B stats on it. Their website not cool this year so it does not. I don't think people are crying conspriracy, it is just more of a frustration that the website people have come to rely on is no longer doing what it was placed there to do.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grlsbballfan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:44 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:2 items. 1. regarding caitlyn haring. instead of just going on points, ask yourself which player on the team could south least afford to lose? i think the answer would be haring. she's leading the entire conference in steals and assists, is 9th in rebounding at 5'7, is 6th in ft shooting, guards the best player on the othe team, and is averaging over 10 ppg. If one of south's other players couldn't play for some reason, they would still be good/great, but if haring went down, they would not be the same team. she should be one of the top miss basketball candidates. 2. instead of complaining about stats being posted for class a players, how bout class b joining this little thing we call the internet and start posting their stats too. typical class b thinking, yes, lets keep everyone's stats a big secret, therefore we can vote on mr/miss basketball by hearsay. :roll:

I agree haring is a very good player but she doesnt guard the best player. South hardly ever plays man defense, its always a zone defense.I hope she does win miss basketball but i think she would rather win the state title than miss basketball.Both would be cool too.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 am

Miss B is picked by news people who may have only seen a girl play once so reporters are relying upon stats and other colleagues. Its hard for a player to select as one of the best players in the state if she is not the best player on her team. But Haring was an all stater last year, leading her team in some of the other stats and is on a #1 ranked team.

Duece had a good point in that it should not be based just on PPG but on the player as a whole. Look at last year, it was not based on the college that the player was going to and it wasn't based on a state championship. I think you have to judge it on the leadership and the dominance of a player. I don't think you can eliminate the stats because players who dominate will dominate the stats.

Bottineau's stats are on the NDHSAA.org under member schools then girls basketball but it is uncertain how many games Shanna has played in. Haven't seen her play this year. Any updates???

Morgan Dale, most of her points were coming from freethrows and when she didn't get the calls Saturday, you see the result. However, for the BHS coach to say she was dominated by Feeney was wrong. Dale led in assist and rebounds. I can't believe a coach came out and put down another player like that! WOW.

Feeney, is a really good player but just not that athletic and I don't think it's from an injury. She is a very smart player and has been taught well. Her height causes alot of problems for teams.

Grann, 18 points and 7 steals are really good numbers. Definetly should be a candidate.

Collins, had another 25 point game and is averaging 7 steals a game. Very good player that teams have to use a double team or a box in one inorder to slow her down. I don't see any other player that teams are having to do this with so that is why she has been my first choice.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 am

At this point in the season I am going with:
1. Collins
2. Dale
3. Grann
4. Knife
6. Haring
7. Feeney

I would be willing to switch Dale and Grann at some point.

Does anyone know how Katie Houdek is doing? She is another one I though might receive some consideration.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Eminence wrote:Miss B is picked by news people who may have only seen a girl play once so reporters are relying upon stats and other colleagues. Its hard for a player to select as one of the best players in the state if she is not the best player on her team. But Haring was an all stater last year, leading her team in some of the other stats and is on a #1 ranked team.

Duece had a good point in that it should not be based just on PPG but on the player as a whole. Look at last year, it was not based on the college that the player was going to and it wasn't based on a state championship. I think you have to judge it on the leadership and the dominance of a player. I don't think you can eliminate the stats because players who dominate will dominate the stats.

Bottineau's stats are on the NDHSAA.org under member schools then girls basketball but it is uncertain how many games Shanna has played in. Haven't seen her play this year. Any updates???

Morgan Dale, most of her points were coming from freethrows and when she didn't get the calls Saturday, you see the result. However, for the BHS coach to say she was dominated by Feeney was wrong. Dale led in assist and rebounds. I can't believe a coach came out and put down another player like that! WOW.

Feeney, is a really good player but just not that athletic and I don't think it's from an injury. She is a very smart player and has been taught well. Her height causes alot of problems for teams.

Grann, 18 points and 7 steals are really good numbers. Definetly should be a candidate.

Collins, had another 25 point game and is averaging 7 steals a game. Very good player that teams have to use a double team or a box in one inorder to slow her down. I don't see any other player that teams are having to do this with so that is why she has been my first choice.

BISMARCK HOOPS: Demons get sweep
Feb 01, 2009 - 04:05:04 CST
By STEVETHOMAS
Bismarck Tribune
With a game up for grabs it's good to have money in the bank. Returning all-stater Sarah Feeney is Bismarck's money in the bank.

Feeney, a 6-foot-2 senior, thwarted a Jamestown charge with a 3-pointer as Bismarck turned back the Blue Jays 67-55 on Saturday at the Karlgaard gym.

The Bismarck boys followed suit in the nightcap, eking out a 70-67 victory.

Third-ranked Bismarck improved to 9-3 with the victory.Fourth-rated Jamestown had an eight-game winning streak interrupted and slipped to 8-3.

Bismarck led by as many as 11 points early in the second half, but Jamestown began chipping away. The Blue Jays drew even at 41 on a three-point play by Kristi Meikle.

That's when Feeney made her move, nailing a 3-pointer in response. Her basket kicked off a game-turning 12-2 run that put the Demons on top 53-43 with 4:29 left. Feeney and Anna Hruby each contributed four points to the blitz.

Feeney was one of Bismarck's four double-figure scorers. KelseySigl led the way with 19, Feeney added 17, Carlie Buechler had 14 and Liz Assel popped in 10.

Jamestown's two returning all-staters were at opposite ends of the spectrum. Senior post Amber Ramlo scored 18 points, while senior forward Morgan Dale finished with five points. Meikle, a 5-9 senior, led the Blue Jays with 21 points.

Feeney said responding to the 41-all tie with a 3-pointer wasn't necessarily her first impulse.

"Being offensive-minded this year is something I've had to work on. ... I've just been getting better at looking for my shot,"she said.

Bismarck coach Andrea Ronderos said Feeney contributed heavily on defense.

"Sarah made Morgan Dale a non-factor,"Ronderos said. "... Morgan is a fantastic player and Sarah D'd her up."

While Ronderos liked the way Bismarck responded to Jamestown's comeback, she wasn't pleased with the way a double-digit lead vanished.

"Jamestown is a good team and we knew they could make some runs ... but we can't afford to have lapses against good teams like that," she said.

The Demons improved to 9-1 in their last 10 starts.

JAMESTOWN(55):Morgan Dale 2-8 1-2 5, Amber Ramlo 9-17 0-0 18, Kristi Meikle 8-11 3-4 21, Brooke Winson 2-5 0-0 6, Kara Wahl 2-5 0-0 5, Kara Nygaard 0-2 0-0 0, Alex Hanson 0-0 0-0 0, Kelsi Manley 0-2 0-0 0, Samantha Geisler 0-1 0-0 0. Totals: 23-51 4-6 55.

BISMARCK (67): KelseySigl 7-13 3-4 18, Chelsea Lingle 0-4 0-1 0, Sarah Feeney 7-14 1-2 17, Liz Assel 3-5 4-4 10, Carlie Buechler 3-6 6-6 14, Annie Assel 0-1 0-0 0, Twila Moser 0-1 0-0 0, Anna Hruby 2-3 4-4 8. Totals: 22-48 18-21 67.

Says nothing about "Dominating" It says the Feeny "D'ed her up".
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:34 pm

""Sarah made Morgan Dale a non-factor,"Ronderos said. "... Morgan is a fantastic player and Sarah D'd her up."

I miss quoted. Sorry I was referring to the comment that Dale was a non-factor when she lead in rebounds and assist.

Usually a coach doesn't make a negative comment about another player on the other team. Nor does a coach comment on one player taking over another player. Just thought it was kind of tacky.

I thought it was the teams defense that shut down the middle on Jamestown and I don't remember seeing just "Sarah D-d her up". I thought Ramlo really stepped up and i think as an all-stater, she should have some consideration too.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Eminence wrote:""Sarah made Morgan Dale a non-factor,"Ronderos said. "... Morgan is a fantastic player and Sarah D'd her up.".

I think we will see more of these comments as the Miss Basketball debate heats up, and Collins continues to put up amazing numbers for Mandan.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:58 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
Eminence wrote:""Sarah made Morgan Dale a non-factor,"Ronderos said. "... Morgan is a fantastic player and Sarah D'd her up.".

I think we will see more of these comments as the Miss Basketball debate heats up, and Collins continues to put up amazing numbers for Mandan.

I agree. Notice the Tribune did not mention Collins's 25 point 15 rebound 6 steal performance last game?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Here are some rankings of who I believe are the major candidates.

Collins---West---2nd in scoring, 6th in rebounding, 4th in assists, 6th in field goal%, 1st in steals.
State---2nd in scoring, 14th in rebounding, 10th in assists, 16th in field goal%, 1st in steals.

Dale-----West---3rd in scoring, 2nd in rebounding, 1st in assists, 3rd in free throw%, 5th in steals.
State---3rd in scoring, 4th in rebounding, 6th in assists, 3rd in free throw%, 14th in steals.

Feeney--West---4th in scoring, 7th in rebounding, 9th in assists, 8th in field goal%, 7th in blocks.
State---4th in scoring, 17th in rebounding, 19th in assists, 18th in field goal%, 13th in blocks.

Also, after looking at stats and watching a lot of games, I am convinced Kelsey Sigl is one of the 5 or so best seniors in class A. Along with the aforementioned 3, Ramlo, and Haring. She puts in a hard working 16 and 8 game in and game out, while shooting 55% from the field and about 80% from the line. I think she needs to get some more respect.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Here is how they stack up in the four main categories:
PPG Assist Rebounding Steals Total
1. Collins 19 3.3 7.2 6.9 36.4
2. Dale 17.4 4.5 9.5 3.0 34.4
3. Knife 18.6 2.6 6.4 1.9 29.5
4. Haring 10.2 6.8 7.0 4.9 28.9
5. Feeney 17.1 2.9 6.8 1.6 28.4
6. Sigl 16.3 1.6 7.3 1.5 26.7
**Thats assuming that knife has misses two games.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mplsfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Yes, Shaunna Knife missed two games mid-season due to illness. Her last 4 games she has scored 18 against Velva, 19 against Stanley, 32 against Grafton and 29 tonight against Rugby. For what it worth Bottineau is beating teams by an average of over 30 points a game which means she is getting pulled and not playing huge minutes all the time. Still scoring pretty well.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 pm

I agree that Sigl from Bismarck deserves more respect. In the Jamestown-BHS game, I thought Feeney did a fine job not fouling Dale who is a threat on the line, but felt that Sigl was a bigger factor in their win than the paper reported. She did lead all Bismarck scorers and was a big factor in slowing down Jamestown's offense.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:01 am

I don't know anything about basketball, But what I do know is Mr./Miss. anything is about being the absolute best, a person could be on a absolutly terriable team but if they are the best player it does not matter if their team wins state, makes state or even wins a game, If there is (which there isnt) a girl dropping 50 a game and her team loses by 20 it really doesnt matter, winning games isnt about 1 good player its about having a decent team around you. A couple years ago in hockey the best player in the states team had about a .500 record and didnt make state, but he put up points with nothing around him. Eric Herbel won Mr. Hockey without going to state or winning a championship. Its not a Miss. Team, its Miss. Basketball and with that said it looks like it should be a 2 horse race between Collins and Knife...let them play a 1 on 1 game for the award.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:35 am

I honestly don't think it is a two woman race. I think Collins is the front runner but after that I think there are a few girls that can challenge. I don't think Haring will win it, but I think she should be a candidate.

Well-rounded role: Haring does it all for top-ranked Bruins
Caitlyn Haring is content calling herself a role player on the top-ranked Fargo South girls basketball team.
By: Heath Hotzler , INFORUM

Fargo South’s Caitlyn Haring drives past West Fargo’s Blake Selisker earlier this season. David Samson / The Forum

Caitlyn Haring is content calling herself a role player on the top-ranked Fargo South girls basketball team.

The Bruins need a steal, and Haring will do her best to provide it. Need a quick bucket? She can pull up and hit a jumper.

Find an open player for an easy hoop? She can do that, too.

And the 5-foot-6 senior guard is as tenacious a rebounder as there is in the Eastern Dakota Conference.

Role player? How about multiple role player?

“She can do it all,” said South coach Craig Flaagan, whose team is 14-0, and defeating opponents by almost 40 points a game this season. “Our stats prove that. If we were to lose her, it would hurt us the most because she does so many things that make our team go. They all have their roles.

But she is more than just a role player.”

A three-year starter, Haring has been filling the stat sheet this season.

She is averaging 10.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, 6.7 assists and 4.9 steals a game.

And all of that takes place in about 28 minutes of floor time.

Haring is the straw that stirs this drink, to borrow a line from the ever-so-eloquent Reggie Jackson.

And it appears she has no idea, or the thought of talking about herself is so cringe-inducing she would rather avoid it at all costs.

Either way, admitting that Haring is a role player is off the mark.

Haring does appear to have a keen awareness of what it takes to help the Bruins win.

“Don’t try to do things you know you can’t do,” Haring said. “Don’t try to be something you are not. I think we are all so aware of each other, and we know each other’s strengths. It’s hard for other team’s to touch us.”

An all-conference performer the last two seasons and an all-state selection last year, Haring has been a solid performer for South since she hit the floor as a sophomore.

However, she has worked hard to become an all-around threat.

Haring recently began coming to South’s gymnasium on the weekends to fine tune her outside game.

That extra work has helped her evolve into a true scoring threat. It’s also let her look on her sophomore year with a bit of a sense of humor.

“I couldn’t really make layups,” she said. “I don’t really know what I was good for.”

She’s more than made up for her lack of offensive polish the last two seasons.

“She never stops working, no matter what,” Bruins senior post Katie Lee said. “We all feed off of her. … She pretty much does it all.”

Not bad for a role player.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 am

I agree with you. Collins is almost everyone's first choice (unless family are posting). I think the discussion is really around who should be a candidate, not necessarily win it.

The "no doubt" candidates are Collins, Dale, Knife, Feeney and Gramm.

I had my doubts about Haring but when you look the top four categories: Scoring, Rebounding, Assist and Steals she is definetly a candidate. She was an all-stater last year.

I like Ramlo too, she had a really good game against BHS but she doesn't have the stats that some of the other players have. She was an all-stater last year.

I think Sigl has been playing strong and should be on the list. I thought she was the main factor against Jamestown.

How many make the list?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:08 am

It changes from year to year. There have been as few as 4 and as many as 8.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Last year they had several girls from Class B on the list, and completely overlooked Paulson from Shanley who won Class A Co-Senior Player of the Year with Alex Feeney. I just hope the media picks the "Best of the Best", or this award will just be watered down. We already have all-state teams and senior all-star selections that recognizes all of ND's outstanding players. We don't need co- or tri- winners for Miss Basketball. I would say right now, the list should be Collins from the WDA, Haring from the EDC, and Knife and Gramm from Class B. The rest are very deserving all-staters.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sammyhain2364 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Congratulations to Miss Basketball 2009: Ali Collins Mandan High School

She joins former Mandan Miss Basketball winners

Jaye Amundson
Mary Perrizo
Kari Hanson
Jessica Kielpinski
Rebecca Kielpinski
The leech's kiss, the squids's embrace,
the prurient ape's defiling touch...
and do I like the human race?
No, not much--Aldous Huxley
sammyhain2364
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 am

Congratulations to Ali Collins for winning 2009 Miss Basketball! Absolutely the best player this year in ND, and congrats on an amazing career.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mandanfanalso » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Congratulations Ali Collins! This award was well-deserved! Ali mentioned in her interview the other Mandan girls that have received this award and how they were role models for her growing up. Well, Ali is a role model for all the younger girls playing basketball in Mandan right now!
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls