WDA

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: WDA

Postby hoopster1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Isn't Knife at Bottineau?
hoopster1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ballingman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:42 pm

hoopster1 wrote:Isn't Knife at Bottineau?

yeah shes from bottineau
4 A.M we ran a miracle mile
Ballingman
NDPreps Starter

Postby aaronrules » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:53 pm

EDC wrote:This will be Jamestown's year. Guards will step up.

which guards are you referring to?
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 pm

aaronrules wrote:

which guards are you referring to?[/quote

Every year kids graduate. Every year people say there aren’t players to step in. But, every year new players step in and fill the holes. I don’t know who Jamestown has only that somebody will do the job.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby aaronrules » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:22 pm

EDC wrote:
aaronrules wrote:

which guards are you referring to?[/quote

Every year kids graduate. Every year people say there aren’t players to step in. But, every year new players step in and fill the holes. I don’t know who Jamestown has only that somebody will do the job.

That's fine but then it's not fair to say it's Jamestown's year...I do believe that was said last year and they couldn't get it done
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ballingman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:46 am

I agree with aaronrules...its extreme say its gonna be a teams year if you dont even know whos gonna be playing at guard
4 A.M we ran a miracle mile
Ballingman
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Which teams last year did not have adequate guard play? Do you think a school and system the size of Jamestown will not produce adequate guards? No, the guards will be there. Who will the guards be? Do you know? I don't. Are you willing to say that whoever they are that they will be inadequate? Probably untested and unknown would be more accurate.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby aaronrules » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:59 pm

EDC wrote:Which teams last year did not have adequate guard play? Do you think a school and system the size of Jamestown will not produce adequate guards? No, the guards will be there. Who will the guards be? Do you know? I don't. Are you willing to say that whoever they are that they will be inadequate? Probably untested and unknown would be more accurate.

I do know who the guards will be, or rather what players will be competing for guards spots and based on this I can say that they are not very strong. Good teams will be able to handle them with no problem.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Guards for jmst will be geiszler, manley, wahl are the seniors and winson is the junior......not a lot of play time behind the previous senior class......experience lacking and not a real point guard in the crew
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:48 pm

balla45 wrote:
dowork wrote:Century has a good shot at a state title this year. with athletes like buck, peterson, sorenson, jossart and vanderpan, a rank of 5th is way low. they made it to state last year with basically the same team as this year. the only noteworthy senior they lost was Tasha Michelson.

It will be Mandan, Bismarck, Jamestown, or Fargo South. Century will be there next year.

in the preseason hoopsters poll jamestown wasnt in the top five.there is know way they will be state champs. they have no guards. here is the preseason poll 1. mandan 2. fargo south 3.bis. century 4. bis. high 5. gf central
we will see if the polls are somewhat close because fargo south plays century, the demons, and jamestown this weekend.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:11 am

ul371 wrote:Eminence,

Jamestown could make it interesting if they went to a big lineup. They could have Ramlo, Hanson, Meikle, or Schmidt inside and down low. All these girls are about 6 foot or better. Then move Dale to guard. That could become a tough team to rebound against when your using your taller players to guard Dale outside. Then if Jamestown can minimize the dribble and work the ball around by passing, you can get by without a true 2nd guard. Teams can breaks presses without dribbling using sharp accurate passes.

I believe you were saying something about handling defensive pressure without really good guards? 2 games, 55 turnovers against 2 teams known for the pressing defenses. My point that I made over a year ago on this board was that to have any chance at all for a state championship, you MUST have a stud point guard! Ali Collins from Mandan and Siri Burck from South both top guards - both teams co #1.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:30 am

If a team is taught right they should be able to break a press whether they have all posts or all guards. Assuming of course that your players can at least dribble and they know when to dribble and when to pass and very important, need to be strong enough to make a cross court pass. Need to recognize what type of press it is and where the open spots are. South has great personel and great coaching when they press teams. What makes their press very effective is they have many variations and constantly change it. Teams don't recognize they are going up against different presses and traps till it is too late. Pass though zone presses and dribble through man to man presses. Every press has spots where people will be open and a tall player should be able to pass over much of the defensive pressure. Avoiding a trap is a measure of how well a player is taught not necessarily how good a person can dribble. If the TEAM knows where the weaknesses are and how to attack a press they should be able to break it and yes, in my opinion, without a stud guard. Of course, a smart dribbling guard solves many of these issues.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:50 pm

EDC wrote:If a team is taught right they should be able to break a press whether they have all posts or all guards. Assuming of course that your players can at least dribble and they know when to dribble and when to pass and very important, need to be strong enough to make a cross court pass. Need to recognize what type of press it is and where the open spots are. South has great personel and great coaching when they press teams. What makes their press very effective is they have many variations and constantly change it. Teams don't recognize they are going up against different presses and traps till it is too late. Pass though zone presses and dribble through man to man presses. Every press has spots where people will be open and a tall player should be able to pass over much of the defensive pressure. Avoiding a trap is a measure of how well a player is taught not necessarily how good a person can dribble. If the TEAM knows where the weaknesses are and how to attack a press they should be able to break it and yes, in my opinion, without a stud guard. Of course, a smart dribbling guard solves many of these issues.

So you're saying if a team can't break a press effectively, they are not well coached? The theory that if you get your people in the right spots you can break presses is great - in theory. Unfortunately for teams that have no guards, the game isn't played in theory. When South or Mandan play sic 'em, you better have good guards or you will get schooled. period. All press breakers look great on paper, (or in 7th grade travelling ball) but on paper you don't have Siri Burck's 6 foot frame and long arms contesting and tipping every pass you try and throw or Ali Collins' great quickness and instincts getting steal after steal. Yes, South mixes it up, but Mandan certainly doesn't. Every single coach in the state knows exactly whats coming with Mandan, and yet somehow their press is still effective. Can no other coach in the state get their kids to simply get in the right spots and pass through their press?
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
EDC wrote:If a team is taught right they should be able to break a press whether they have all posts or all guards. Assuming of course that your players can at least dribble and they know when to dribble and when to pass and very important, need to be strong enough to make a cross court pass. Need to recognize what type of press it is and where the open spots are. South has great personel and great coaching when they press teams. What makes their press very effective is they have many variations and constantly change it. Teams don't recognize they are going up against different presses and traps till it is too late. Pass though zone presses and dribble through man to man presses. Every press has spots where people will be open and a tall player should be able to pass over much of the defensive pressure. Avoiding a trap is a measure of how well a player is taught not necessarily how good a person can dribble. If the TEAM knows where the weaknesses are and how to attack a press they should be able to break it and yes, in my opinion, without a stud guard. Of course, a smart dribbling guard solves many of these issues.

So you're saying if a team can't break a press effectively, they are not well coached? The theory that if you get your people in the right spots you can break presses is great - in theory. Unfortunately for teams that have no guards, the game isn't played in theory. When South or Mandan play sic 'em, you better have good guards or you will get schooled. period. All press breakers look great on paper, (or in 7th grade travelling ball) but on paper you don't have Siri Burck's 6 foot frame and long arms contesting and tipping every pass you try and throw or Ali Collins' great quickness and instincts getting steal after steal. Yes, South mixes it up, but Mandan certainly doesn't. Every single coach in the state knows exactly whats coming with Mandan, and yet somehow their press is still effective. Can no other coach in the state get their kids to simply get in the right spots and pass through their press?

I missed this, but I think this is the most important part of what EDC said, and may have been taking for granted.

Assuming of course that your players can at least dribble and they know when to dribble and when to pass and very important, need to be strong enough to make a cross court pass. Need to recognize what type of press it is and where the open spots are.

I think both of you have very, very valid points. A great point guard may not be needed to break a press, but then all of the guards need to be at least average ball handlers and good passers.

On the Mandan pressing issue, I don't think the coaches do know what is coming. I know last year Mandan had 22 defenses, and 11 presses. I don't think any team can prepare for that many different defenses, especially when Amundson changes them at the drop of a hat. It might look the same, because Mandan just gets steal after steal, but there are subtle differences, and those can make a huge difference for the team trying to break the press.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:11 pm

To clarify. 1) I think you need good smart well coached "ball handlers" to break a press - not necessarily a "stud guard". 2) You break the press as a team instead of individually. 3) Somebody needs to recognize what type of press it is - I recommend an assistant coach be responsible to yell out what he is seeing. 4) The team needs to know where the weak spots are and be physically able to get the ball to that open spot and the player receiving the pass must COME TO THE BALL (well coached) and 5) Once the press is broken, you need to make the pressing team pay - go to the basket and score.

By the way, Shanley broke Mandan's press last year but had trouble against South's press even after playing them 4 times. Go figure
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:37 pm

The press doesn't necessarily result in steals. Teams often break a press but it causes the team to rush their shot on offense or take them out of their comfort zone. The shot clock is a huge factor. Teams work so hard to break it, they run alot of the clock down when they could be running their offense. I don't know what Shanley's problem was with South but thay may have been a factor.

I agree with EDC that you need to make a team pay a few times, so they call off the press. However, that doesn't seem to happen when teams in the WDA play Mandan. I guess we will see Thursday night when Century plays Mandan. How did Jamestown do against the press? I did not see steals but I did see that they had a lot of turnovers against Mandan and Fargo South.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:17 pm

Eminence wrote:The press doesn't necessarily result in steals. Teams often break a press but it causes the team to rush their shot on offense or take them out of their comfort zone. The shot clock is a huge factor. Teams work so hard to break it, they run alot of the clock down when they could be running their offense. I don't know what Shanley's problem was with South but thay may have been a factor.

I agree with EDC that you need to make a team pay a few times, so they call off the press. However, that doesn't seem to happen when teams in the WDA play Mandan. I guess we will see Thursday night when Century plays Mandan. How did Jamestown do against the press? I did not see steals but I did see that they had a lot of turnovers against Mandan and Fargo South.

The press killed Jamestown. If it wasn't a steal, it was a couple deflections out of bounds almost every play for the first 20 or so trips down court.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls