WDA

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

WDA

Postby dowork » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:57 am

What does everybody think about The west this year? what teams will be on top?
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Re: WDA

Postby Rich_2999 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:12 pm

1. Mandan
2. Bismarck High
3. Belcourt
4. Jamestown
5. Century
6. Dickinson
7. Minot
8. Williston
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EDC » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:05 pm

This will be Jamestown's year
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:53 am

Jamestown year? They didn't even make it to state last year. They still have Ramlo and Dale but they have no guards. They may struggle trying to make it to state.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ul371 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:30 am

Eminence,

Jamestown could make it interesting if they went to a big lineup. They could have Ramlo, Hanson, Meikle, or Schmidt inside and down low. All these girls are about 6 foot or better. Then move Dale to guard. That could become a tough team to rebound against when your using your taller players to guard Dale outside. Then if Jamestown can minimize the dribble and work the ball around by passing, you can get by without a true 2nd guard. Teams can breaks presses without dribbling using sharp accurate passes.
ul371
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:25 am

I agree that Jamestown could be a real threat if they can address the ball handling issue. Also I think Bismarck Century will be up in the top 3 with Mandan and BHS.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:35 pm

ul371 wrote:Eminence,

Jamestown could make it interesting if they went to a big lineup. They could have Ramlo, Hanson, Meikle, or Schmidt inside and down low. All these girls are about 6 foot or better. Then move Dale to guard. That could become a tough team to rebound against when your using your taller players to guard Dale outside. Then if Jamestown can minimize the dribble and work the ball around by passing, you can get by without a true 2nd guard. Teams can breaks presses without dribbling using sharp accurate passes.

Your theory will be tested their first game. I'm going to go on the assumption that South will be pressing again like they do every year. I believe there was a similar discussion about a year ago on this board regarding breaking presses. Someone claimed you didn't really need a great point guard to handle presses - either let the bigs bring the ball up, or just pass it through the press. Yeah. My claim was that may work in travelling ball, but it doesn't work at the varsity level where teams scout other teams and prepare their teams to exploit other teams weaknesses. I'm sure the Bruins realize that Jamestown lost their guards and are preparing for that. My prediction: Jays will have way too many turnovers to stay close.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby dowork » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am

Century has a good shot at a state title this year. with athletes like buck, peterson, sorenson, jossart and vanderpan, a rank of 5th is way low. they made it to state last year with basically the same team as this year. the only noteworthy senior they lost was Tasha Michelson.
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ballingman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:52 am

Eminence wrote:Jamestown year? They didn't even make it to state last year. They still have Ramlo and Dale but they have no guards. They may struggle trying to make it to state.

I agree with jamestown not being tops this year, but dont they have that ginger at guard?
4 A.M we ran a miracle mile
Ballingman
NDPreps Starter

Postby aaronrules » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:01 pm

i will agree with dowork that the loss of tasha will be a hard spot to fill but expect sorenson to step up and take over that role...as for jamestown teams will shut down dale and ramlo and with no outside threat or point guard they will stuggle..they have potential but expect a roller coaster season from them
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:13 pm

aaronrules wrote:i will agree with dowork that the loss of tasha will be a hard spot to fill but expect sorenson to step up and take over that role...as for jamestown teams will shut down dale and ramlo and with no outside threat or point guard they will stuggle..they have potential but expect a roller coaster season from them

While it may sound easy on paper, shutting down Ramlo and Dale is a huge task, and I doubt any team holds them to less than 30 points all year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:13 pm

dowork wrote:Century has a good shot at a state title this year. with athletes like buck, peterson, sorenson, jossart and vanderpan, a rank of 5th is way low. they made it to state last year with basically the same team as this year. the only noteworthy senior they lost was Tasha Michelson.

It will be Mandan, Bismarck, Jamestown, or Fargo South. Century will be there next year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby aaronrules » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:28 pm

balla45 wrote:
dowork wrote:Century has a good shot at a state title this year. with athletes like buck, peterson, sorenson, jossart and vanderpan, a rank of 5th is way low. they made it to state last year with basically the same team as this year. the only noteworthy senior they lost was Tasha Michelson.

It will be Mandan, Bismarck, Jamestown, or Fargo South. Century will be there next year.

I still dont think you can put Jamestown ahead of Century. Century beat Jamestown 2 out of 3 times last year and Jamestown lost their big outside threats and ball handlers. And remember Century didnt have Jossart for any of those games.

Also Mandan lost Jensen but Im sure amundson will fund a way to fill that gap. Bismarck High also has a first year coach and lost almost their whole team from last year. Century's JV team beat the girls who will most likely be starting next year, but with all BHS/CHS games, they will probably be close, physical games.

Century could easily be number 2 in the west.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ballingman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:50 pm

Number 2? With Jossart back in the line up after her torn acl Im putting century nothing lower than 1. Jossart is one of the best athletes in century high school and she is just a straight up competitor. Im looking for about 15 to 20 points a night from her
4 A.M we ran a miracle mile
Ballingman
NDPreps Starter

Postby dowork » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Century beat jamestown last year to go to state with the same team they have this year. so how will jamestown be better than them this year? Century went to team camps this summer and ripped it up. they will without a doubt end up with a better wda place than jamestown.

That was not needed. Find a better choice of words. Balla45
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Ballingman wrote:Number 2? With Jossart back in the line up after her torn acl Im putting century nothing lower than 1. Jossart is one of the best athletes in century high school and she is just a straight up competitor. Im looking for about 15 to 20 points a night from her

Seriously, you are going from 2.7 points per game to 20. Not likely.
Erika Jossart 3 1 6 .167 1 11 .091 2 17 .118 3 6 .500 2 5 7 2.33 4 9 0 3 8 2.7

Team Camps? Who was the competition? Belcourt and Minot. I do think though that Jamestown will still be a tough game and evenly matched but Century will win. I predict that Century will lose to Fargo South by about 12 points.

Jamestown will pull off a few upsets at home because they like to stage the outcome which hurts them in the end. Look at what happened last year. When games are not fairly refed, teams do not know what to work on when they finally meet on a neutral floor. You see that time and again. All teams do it, even Century will pick their favorite refs to get the calls.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby aaronrules » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Eminence wrote:
Ballingman wrote:Number 2? With Jossart back in the line up after her torn acl Im putting century nothing lower than 1. Jossart is one of the best athletes in century high school and she is just a straight up competitor. Im looking for about 15 to 20 points a night from her

Seriously, you are going from 2.7 points per game to 20. Not likely.
Erika Jossart 3 1 6 .167 1 11 .091 2 17 .118 3 6 .500 2 5 7 2.33 4 9 0 3 8 2.7

Team Camps? Who was the competition? Belcourt and Minot. I do think though that Jamestown will still be a tough game and evenly matched but Century will win. I predict that Century will lose to Fargo South by about 12 points.

Jamestown will pull off a few upsets at home because they like to stage the outcome which hurts them in the end. Look at what happened last year. When games are not fairly refed, teams do not know what to work on when they finally meet on a neutral floor. You see that time and again. All teams do it, even Century will pick their favorite refs to get the calls.

Jossart might not score 20 points a night but she will have more than 2.7, which is really unrealiable by the way considering it was really her first year at the varsity level, starting no less, and she torn her acl the third game into the season. She never really had a chance to prove herself last year scoring wise. I'd say she's good for at least 10-15 a night and if not she'll get the ball to players who can score if it's not her.

Team camps this summer involved teams from all over but league game allowed the wda varsity teams to play each other.

Also I agree with Eminence-every place has home-court ref advantage but jamestown def. has the worst and it does them no favors
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Jamestown was playing this summer as well. Amber Ramlo and Morgan Dale were members of the dominant ECI West summer team.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby aaronrules » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 pm

balla45 wrote:
aaronrules wrote:i will agree with dowork that the loss of tasha will be a hard spot to fill but expect sorenson to step up and take over that role...as for jamestown teams will shut down dale and ramlo and with no outside threat or point guard they will stuggle..they have potential but expect a roller coaster season from them

While it may sound easy on paper, shutting down Ramlo and Dale is a huge task, and I doubt any team holds them to less than 30 points all year.

Century nearly did it last year the first time they met-Dale had 11 and Ramlo had 20-and last year teams had a lot more to worry about when they played Jamestown then they do this year. Last year Jamestown had outside threats in Schuchard and Hornung so teams couldn't do things like doubling in the post. This year teams can do more of that since there is no outside threat.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:04 pm

aaronrules wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Century nearly did it last year the first time they met-Dale had 11 and Ramlo had 20-and last year teams had a lot more to worry about when they played Jamestown then they do this year. Last year Jamestown had outside threats in Schuchard and Hornung so teams couldn't do things like doubling in the post. This year teams can do more of that since there is no outside threat.

Here is what confuses me about people posting on preps, not just you, but people in general.

They seem to think that by having inferior guards, posts will score less. I think in the opposite direction. If the guards took 20 shots a game last year, 15 of those are going to Dale/Ramlo this year, so they should score more. It will just be more a 2 woman team.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby aaronrules » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:19 pm

balla45 wrote:
aaronrules wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Here is what confuses me about people posting on preps, not just you, but people in general.

They seem to think that by having inferior guards, posts will score less. I think in the opposite direction. If the guards took 20 shots a game last year, 15 of those are going to Dale/Ramlo this year, so they should score more. It will just be more a 2 woman team.

I understand what you're saying but it is much easier to guard 2 people and shut 2 people down than 4 or 5 people who pose a threat. 15 of the shots guards took last year might now be trying to go to Dale and Ramlo but teams are going to make it difficult to get it inside. All a team has to do is double down on those two and Jamestown will struggle. Ramlo and Dale could combine for 40 points a game but I still don't think the other players are going to score enough to beat solid, all around teams.

Also, don't forget about fouls. If either one of them gets in any sort of foul trouble, it's gonna be a long game.
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:13 am

balla45 wrote:
aaronrules wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Reality Check. If you don't have good guards, you cannot get the ball up the court. Post will never see the ball. Post players do not do well on the press breaker if they don't have good guards to help bring the ball up the court. In the west, you have to compete against Mandan and their ball pressure and you definetly need a couple of good guards to compete. Don't underestimate the role of the guards, assist and the outside shot are very important or else they will just pack the paint. On the other hand, without a good post to rebound and give you second shot opportunities, it's tough to win. You need both.

I think Jossart will have a better year, but she was injured early and still has very little varsity experience. I think 10-15 points is unrealistic. Since Century beat Jamestown last year, you have to go with Century as #2. Mandan is still #1until someone knock them off the state podium. BHS, I think will be #4 because they lost alot of good players and they have a new coach.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 am

This will be Jamestown's year. Guards will step up.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 am

I'm more sold on Century than Jamestown. But I think Jamestown will be better than Bismarck. Initially I had Jamestown and Bismarck switched but when I looked at last year's stats for the Bismarck Seniors, their shooting stats weren't great. Couple that with a few players that are rumored not to have gone out this year along with a new head coach and I think it may be a rebuilding year for Bismarck.

My ranking preseason:
1. Mandan
2. Century
3. Jamestown
4. Bismarck
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dowork » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:55 am

thank you duece for giving century some credit. i see it being a dog fight for the top three spots with mandan bismarck and century.
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Girls