Mandan at rock bottom?

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mandan at rock bottom?

Postby Eminence » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:09 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Eminence wrote:True, that BHS lost alot but they still return 2 starter's: Sigl and Feeney. With a new coach also, I think they will struggle against some of the teams.

Century, will be a decent team with Buck, Sorenson, and Peterson. Their guards will have to pick up the pace to be a contendor and that's why I think they match up so well with Jamestown.

Jamestown lost their outside shooter and their point guard. I don't see anyone who will be able to step up into Hornung's place or hit the 3's like Schuchard. I think Century will beat them again.

Mandan lost Jensen, but still has Collins. They will be short on the post's but that's not Mandan's strength since Kelpenski left. I still pick them to win with Collins. I don't see anyone in the league that can hold her.

South is a contendor but I wouldn't under estimate the loss of Anstad and Stroup. They were very balanced last year but those players added alot to the balance. Weatherspoon is tall but without the drive, anyone can hold her. She doesn't pound it in and she doesn't have a lot of finese moves. She's not very aggressive. Lee is only 5'10 and I don't see her dominating Buck-Century or Ramlo-Jamestown.

South vrs Jamestown/Century: Jamestown post are better, stronger and will score on south. South has better guards with Burck. Close game but I think Jamestown will win unless South figures out how to press and push the ball. Typically, South will slow it up and try to pound it in. I don't see them beating Jamestown or Century with that style of ball.

South vrs BHS/Mandan: Neither teams are stong in the post. Definetly decided by the guards. I think South will take BHS because they had so much turnover and a new coach but definetly cannot match up to the pressure of Mandan. I don't see anyone on South's team holding Collins.

What do you think?

Ahh, did you actually watch south play last season? South's fullcourt pressure and fast breaking was the key to their success. Teams that stayed with south were the teams that took them OUT OF their running game. South pressed every game and their great guard play - at least 4 deep - was and will continue to be their bread and butter. Did you watch the semi final vs bhs last march? yes the bruins did fall behind big early, but how did they get back in the game? it wasn't by slowing it down and trying to pound it into the posts, it was by pressuring the demon players into a faster pace. i look for a repeat perfomance this season from south - great guard play that will pressure teams until the game is securely in hand. slowing it down and trying to pound it inside is a last resort. go look at their scores from last year - 100, 92, 88, 85, couple 83's and a crapload of scores in the 70's. You don't get those kind of numbers by "slowing it up". :roll:

It's easy to score alot that with easy teams, a 100 against Valley City come on Class B teams were pounding them!

The East doesn't have much competition for South and I think that hurts them in the long run. I did see the semi finals with BHS and my opinion is that South was the team that couldn't handle the pressure. BHS look like they were in control the whole game. There is a big difference between the pressure put on in the East and the pressure put on in the West.

I still wonder about Central and why people pick them to be good? What about Devils Lake?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Eminence wrote:
EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Eminence wrote:True, that BHS lost alot but they still return 2 starter's: Sigl and Feeney. With a new coach also, I think they will struggle against some of the teams.

Century, will be a decent team with Buck, Sorenson, and Peterson. Their guards will have to pick up the pace to be a contendor and that's why I think they match up so well with Jamestown.

Jamestown lost their outside shooter and their point guard. I don't see anyone who will be able to step up into Hornung's place or hit the 3's like Schuchard. I think Century will beat them again.

Mandan lost Jensen, but still has Collins. They will be short on the post's but that's not Mandan's strength since Kelpenski left. I still pick them to win with Collins. I don't see anyone in the league that can hold her.

South is a contendor but I wouldn't under estimate the loss of Anstad and Stroup. They were very balanced last year but those players added alot to the balance. Weatherspoon is tall but without the drive, anyone can hold her. She doesn't pound it in and she doesn't have a lot of finese moves. She's not very aggressive. Lee is only 5'10 and I don't see her dominating Buck-Century or Ramlo-Jamestown.

South vrs Jamestown/Century: Jamestown post are better, stronger and will score on south. South has better guards with Burck. Close game but I think Jamestown will win unless South figures out how to press and push the ball. Typically, South will slow it up and try to pound it in. I don't see them beating Jamestown or Century with that style of ball.

South vrs BHS/Mandan: Neither teams are stong in the post. Definetly decided by the guards. I think South will take BHS because they had so much turnover and a new coach but definetly cannot match up to the pressure of Mandan. I don't see anyone on South's team holding Collins.

What do you think?

Ahh, did you actually watch south play last season? South's fullcourt pressure and fast breaking was the key to their success. Teams that stayed with south were the teams that took them OUT OF their running game. South pressed every game and their great guard play - at least 4 deep - was and will continue to be their bread and butter. Did you watch the semi final vs bhs last march? yes the bruins did fall behind big early, but how did they get back in the game? it wasn't by slowing it down and trying to pound it into the posts, it was by pressuring the demon players into a faster pace. i look for a repeat perfomance this season from south - great guard play that will pressure teams until the game is securely in hand. slowing it down and trying to pound it inside is a last resort. go look at their scores from last year - 100, 92, 88, 85, couple 83's and a crapload of scores in the 70's. You don't get those kind of numbers by "slowing it up". :roll:

It's easy to score alot that with easy teams, a 100 against Valley City come on Class B teams were pounding them!

The East doesn't have much competition for South and I think that hurts them in the long run. I did see the semi finals with BHS and my opinion is that South was the team that couldn't handle the pressure. BHS look like they were in control the whole game. There is a big difference between the pressure put on in the East and the pressure put on in the West.

I still wonder about Central and why people pick them to be good? What about Devils Lake?

I agree with you about south being rattled in the semi - i never said they weren't. i'm just saying that south doesn't play a slow down game, just the opposite. the west does pressure the ball better than the east, no doubt. the best teams - i'm excluding mandan since they seem to be in a league by themselves - the last few years have been in the west. bismarck and century have been consistently good, jamestown has been good the last couple years as well as dickinson for a while. in the east, devils lake had a nice team 2 years ago and south had a good team the year before that, but one or at most two east teams should be in the top 5 ranking. south can't help it if the teams they play are bad in their conference, and yes that does come back to haunt them at state tourney time
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:20 am

South is a good team which had traveled in the Summer to improve their game and you can definetly see the difference these last few years. I think that is why South has excelled above the rest of the eastern teams. Where did South go this summer?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:40 am

Eminence wrote:South is a good team which had traveled in the Summer to improve their game and you can definetly see the difference these last few years. I think that is why South has excelled above the rest of the eastern teams. Where did South go this summer?

Sioux Falls, University of Minnesota and a few around the area. They will take another big trip next summer.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:52 am

I think the reason some teams are always at the top is because their coach is willing to put the time and effort in the off season to work with his/her team. You see how competitive sports have become. It is no longer a seasonal sport. It is also what ND teams need to do in order to be competitive with the other states.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 am

Eminence wrote:I think the reason some teams are always at the top is because their coach is willing to put the time and effort in the off season to work with his/her team. You see how competitive sports have become. It is no longer a seasonal sport. It is also what ND teams need to do in order to be competitive with the other states.

The thing that FPS does also is has summer school sports. Basically the kids pay $50 to be in a summer school basketball and they get to practice for an hour and a half everyday for 6 weeks in the summer with the coach being the summer school teacher. This is a huge advantage as that is 6 extra weeks of legally practicing in the summer.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am

WOW, that's a great idea. How long have they been doing that? No wonder they are so much ahead of the East teams.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:12 am

Eminence wrote:WOW, that's a great idea. How long have they been doing that? No wonder they are so much ahead of the East teams.

Its been quite awhile now...The kids used to get 1/4 of a PE credit so if they did it all 4 years they got a full PE credit, but the state put a cobosh to that.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Yahyah » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:37 pm

We all saw what happened. South is blowing the other teams away. If I saw this post earlier i would have said South would match up the West's defense. South's defense is exceptional. Haring and Lee would not be afraid to go full speed and take an offensive charge. And South has zone busters. Fisher, Burck, Roerich, and Lee can shot threes. Haring could also. If the thir zone busters don't work all the gaurds can actually drive in. Wellentin, Dockter, Lee can play the post well. I think south will take all the way if they don't get lazy and discourage throughout the season.
The summer basketball thing, all the school in the east do it but not as pricey as south. heck almost all class A teams do it.
Yahyah
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls