2008-09 EDC Players to Watch

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2008-09 EDC Players to Watch

Postby gfballer09 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Who do think are the top girls in the EDC next year?
gfballer09

Re: 2008-09 EDC Players to Watch

Postby Baller » Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 pm

EDC
Alyssa Dehne - North
Caitln Haring - South
Siri Burck - South
Hammer - Central
Mertens - DL

WDA
Beuchler (sp) - BHS
Feeney - BHS
Collins - Mandan
Jensen - Mandan
Buck - Century
Dale - Jamestown
Ramlo - Jamestown
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 am

Sturlaugson is better than Buechler. She was better off the bench and played more minutes. Neither one were an impact last year. Top players to watch in the State is:

WDA
Collins - Mandan
Jensen - Mandan
Feeney - BHS
Sigl - BHS
Buck - Century
Sorenson - Century
Peterson - Century
Dale - Jamestown
Ramlo - Jamestown

EDC
Burck - South
Weatherspoon - South
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfballer09 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 am

I would have to say,

Mertens-DL
Burk-South
Haring-South
Hammer-Central
Farroh-Central
Dehne-North
Labahn-Red River

I think Mertens will be the best in the east. Weatherspoon is not strong enough to be a top post. She'll get some blocks and 6-8pts a game just from her height. However, her height is all she has, she had no moves.
gfballer09

Postby Eminence » Wed May 21, 2008 9:55 am

South has a good coach and will work on her moves. I bet she will get more college looks than all of the other EDC players combined. She needs some strength but has a lot of potential.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfballer09 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:04 am

South has a Great Coach. I've see her play in 4-5 games and I just don't see it. She just seems too far behind for being a senior next year. If she was a freshman or sophomore I would have a different opinion.
gfballer09

Postby Baller » Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 am

Souths coach has been working with her for 4 years and she hasn't developed. By the end of the year Lee Wellentin and Dockter will get more playing time that Weatherspoon.
Haring was a All-Stater last year. She is by far the best on the list although I agree that Mertens has the most potential.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Wed May 21, 2008 1:05 pm

Neither one of those girls will play before Weatherspoon. Check out the stats.... http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.co ... hgirls.htm
She still had 5 points per game and 3.28 rebounds per game with only an average of 11 minutes per game. If she played the whole game, she could be at 15 points per game and 9.84 rebounds. Given the minutes, she has potential to produce results. .......Doctor and Wellentin did what????
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Eminence wrote:Neither one of those girls will play before Weatherspoon. Check out the stats.... http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.co ... hgirls.htm
She still had 5 points per game and 3.28 rebounds per game with only an average of 11 minutes per game. If she played the whole game, she could be at 15 points per game and 9.84 rebounds. Given the minutes, she has potential to produce results. .......Doctor and Wellentin did what????

I guess we have a few months to find out.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 am

Baller wrote:
Eminence wrote:Neither one of those girls will play before Weatherspoon. Check out the stats.... http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.co ... hgirls.htm

I guess we have a few months to find out.

Dont underestimate Weatherspoon. Also, the EDC graduated most of their best posts this spring and Weatherspoon will outsize and out play everyone that is left. South always has very good post players that move up and fill the spots left by graduation, because their coaches have a good system of developing them.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 am

Baller wrote:EDC
Alyssa Dehne - North
Caitln Haring - South
Siri Burck - South
Hammer - Central
Mertens - DL

WDA
Beuchler (sp) - BHS
Feeney - BHS
Collins - Mandan
Jensen - Mandan
Buck - Century
Dale - Jamestown
Ramlo - Jamestown

Add Katie Lee to the EDC list. She got slowed down a little last season because of injury but she is going to come through for South big time. She had a career high scoring game of 27 points last season when she was healthy.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri May 23, 2008 4:27 pm

gfballer09 wrote:I would have to say,

Mertens-DL
Burk-South
Haring-South
Hammer-Central
Farroh-Central
Dehne-North
Labahn-Red River

I think Mertens will be the best in the east. Weatherspoon is not strong enough to be a top post. She'll get some blocks and 6-8pts a game just from her height. However, her height is all she has, she had no moves.

I would have to say that haring from south is going to be the best player from the east. she has already proven herself with an all state selection. if caitlyn can develop softer hands in the summer and start making her shots she will be the best in the state.
south has a very balanced team with the five top players if you take any of these girls and put them on a less balanced team such as north,central, and devils lake there stats would be off the charts. if you follow the bruins regularily you would have seen they would put four or five girls in double digits several times in games last year and four of them girls are returning. (haring, roerich, burck, and lee)
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball14 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:25 pm

gfballer, labahn is not going to red river!
bball14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gfballer09 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:28 pm

The word around Grand Forks is that she is transfering to Red River.
gfballer09

Postby bert1072 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:42 am

interesting to see someone say Mertens will be the besct in the East when she has more mistakes in a game then anyone around. Haring will probably get the most nods.
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm

bert1072 wrote:interesting to see someone say Mertens will be the besct in the East when she has more mistakes in a game then anyone around. Haring will probably get the most nods.

I am not saying that Mertens is the best in the East but I am going to defend her having a lot of mistakes. She wasn't even slated to play a lot of varsity at the beginning of the season when she was penciled in as the backup for the best player in the state. Then all of sudden in the first game, she gets thrown into action without ANY experience. There were a lot of growing pains, but she is going to be a player. She also has ALOT of pressure put on her by her parents (getting grounded if she doesn't play well) I also heard that she could quit basketball all together because of the pressure. Too bad because she could be very good.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bert1072 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:48 pm

Baller wrote:
bert1072 wrote:interesting to see someone say Mertens will be the besct in the East when she has more mistakes in a game then anyone around. Haring will probably get the most nods.

I am not saying that Mertens is the best in the East but I am going to defend her having a lot of mistakes. She wasn't even slated to play a lot of varsity at the beginning of the season when she was penciled in as the backup for the best player in the state. Then all of sudden in the first game, she gets thrown into action without ANY experience. There were a lot of growing pains, but she is going to be a player. She also has ALOT of pressure put on her by her parents (getting grounded if she doesn't play well) I also heard that she could quit basketball all together because of the pressure. Too bad because she could be very good.

Even though mertens was thrown into the game earlier than expected, as long as Scott Privatsky was around she was going to be THE guard in place of Privatskys daughter. Watching DL play out east all time she should have made mistakes in the beginning but not after half a year. Watching Hammer play alot as a freshman with a 3rd of the errors mertens just isn't going to be the star some predict. From the sounds of it her father is doing the same to her as he did to her brother. Just saying alot of EDC girls ahead of her.
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:58 pm

That's kind of sick. A player should play because they love the game and parents should give them 110% support. You cannot make a player love the game, it's something each great player has inside that drives them. It's not something you can ground them for. I have a hard time believing that a parent would go to that extreme to make a child play.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:53 pm

I was impressed with Mertens last year. After how far Coach Scott P took DL last year, I wouldn't be second guessing him.

Haring might be the best next year in the EDC. Roarich and Fisher will contribute for South. I think there is a Larson from North that looked good last year.

Expect 2 or 3 Shanley girls to emerge next year as well.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:06 am

Everyone on DL suffered through growing pains, not just Mertens. If she was so bad how was she named to the All-EDC team? That team brought back ONE player with experience from the previous year, and we all know what happened there. DL was a team that didn't know how to play with each other, but slowly and surely they figured it out, evident by their trip to state. It will be interesting to see how they do this year, bringing back all but one regular and a lot of younger girls with more experience. Let's hope they don't take a step back, although I highly doubt Coach Privratsky will let that happen.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DWeigs » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 am

gfballer09 wrote:The word around Grand Forks is that she is transfering to Red River.

Labahn will be at Central next year. Its just talk thats all it is.
DWeigs

Postby jordan23 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Why does everyone believe Central is going to be on top this year? who do they have?
jordan23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoopster1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 pm

They have Farroh and Hammer who are sophomores. Farroh led the EDC in rebounds, I don't know a lot about Farroh, but I hear she's a pretty good guard. They were both all EDC last year. There roster last year only had one senior and I don't think she gave a lot. I think everyone has them in the top half because of that. They are young and did decent last year with everyone back. My only worry is they might be too young and have some losses due to inexperience.
hoopster1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jordan23 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 pm

i think the fact that teams like Shanley and Central have their age as an advantage. they dont have much pressure on themselves so they will just keep working harder and harder.
jordan23
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Girls