Choosing

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Choosing

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 am

Back in the day, early 90's, Girls were able to play in both the Lion's All Star basketball game and the Optimist Volleyball game. Now they have to choose. Why should they have to choose. If they are good at both, they should be able to play in both. Players like Braun, Stroup, Privratsky, Smith should not have to choose which sport to play in.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Choosing

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:43 am

Why not keep it as is and make them choose thus opening a spot for more to participate?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Eminence » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:54 pm

True but Baller has a good point. You want to see the best of the best, no matter what sport it is. Why limit it unless they play at the same time.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Why not keep it as is and make them choose thus opening a spot for more to participate?

Then if you play varsity volleyball you shouldn't be able to play varsity basketball thus opening a spot for more to participate??
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:32 pm

Not what was said, there are only so many weeks in a summer. The same kids (or at least many of them) are also baseball players. So if they can play both that is two weeks away from te sport that is in season.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Life is full of tough choices. I think you will get the players that "really love" the sport they chose, and that sport was their priority. Just my opionion.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Not what was said, there are only so many weeks in a summer. The same kids (or at least many of them) are also baseball players. So if they can play both that is two weeks away from te sport that is in season.

Good point. Many kids participate in summer sports or have summer jobs. So I believe they need to make their own choice based on their own priorities.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Not what was said, there are only so many weeks in a summer. The same kids (or at least many of them) are also baseball players. So if they can play both that is two weeks away from te sport that is in season.

This is girls...there is no baseball in the summer. What sport is there in the summer for girls other than soccer and most girls don't play summer soccer after their senior year.

My second point is, what if I love both basketball and volleyaball, but I am getting a scholarship to play one in college. I am probably going to choose that sport, but why not be able to play both and have that last game of the other sport.

Why should everyone get a chance to participate. If I am better than you at both sports then I should be the "ALL STAR" at both sports. Don't diminish the accomplishments of a player for being a stud in more than one sport.

My last point is that if a player is selected to play in a sport, that should be listed in the program. Lets just use Lexi Braun as an example. If she chooses to play volleyball in the all star game, The basketball program should list the original 12 players chosen and for the ones that chose the opposite sport, the program should state, Lexi chose to play in the volleyball game. As a fan, I want to know if I am watching the 12 BEST players, or if some of them are second best because some players chose to play another sport.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Did you mean to say fastpitch softball? Most girls switch from baseball to fastpitch after 5th or 6th grade. Their summer season starts the second week in June and the start tournement play the last two weeks of July, so their season conflicts with the volleyball and basketball all star games. Most Seniors play the summer fastpitch season because the spring high school season is short.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:42 pm

I was actually thinking about the guys (opps). But I had a cousin who was an outstanding VB player but liked SB even more. Limited chances to play fast pitch in ND.

Baller:
Would you like a list of players that were unable to attend due to military obligation? How about the list of athletes that were originally choosen but removed for drinking violations? It would be tough to get an accurate list of the 12 best. Will always be debatable.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:44 pm

Actually yes...I want the list of the original 12 players chosen to play in the game. Who were the 12 best players in each class as chosen by the coaches.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:46 pm

That is also the week that North Dakota takes a team to Australia...some girls chose to go to Australia instead of playing in the All Star game...That fine, but tell us who the original 12 were and then go from there.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm

I agree with you baller.I to want to see the best athletes play in all star games. Lets say you have an athlete that plays two or three sports in a year. This young lady busts her butt every day to be the best athlete she can be. She makes ALL STATE in two of the sports she participated in because of her dedication and hard work. But she can only take part in one all star game that is bogus. So she has to chose one of the sports and let a lower calaber player take her spot in the other. BOGUS!!!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:19 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Why not keep it as is and make them choose thus opening a spot for more to participate?

As i sit here and read this blog, IT IS AN ALL STAR GAME, the best players should be playing. It shouldnt matter how many sports a person is good at. If you are deserving you should be accepted in everyone you do.For those players that dont make it do to a two or three sport ALL STATER i suggest you get in the gym and weight room and work because life is not fair.A person makes the best of it by dedication and hard work!!!
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 am

Sorry but because of the MIP portion of the requirements they will never be able to tell you the entire list. You may have to do some investigating to find out why a good player was left off.

I hope that it is undestood that this is a very political process just like all state and all conference selections.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby 2008tournement » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:03 am

I just hope they have all chosen to be sports animals and not party animals!
2008tournement

Postby Eminence » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 am

sportsguruguy wrote:I agree with you baller.I to want to see the best athletes play in all star games. Lets say you have an athlete that plays two or three sports in a year. This young lady busts her butt every day to be the best athlete she can be. She makes ALL STATE in two of the sports she participated in because of her dedication and hard work. But she can only take part in one all star game that is bogus. So she has to chose one of the sports and let a lower calaber player take her spot in the other. BOGUS!!!

I agree, Why would we want to watch a lower calaber player. This is suppose to be the best of the best All STAR GAME. In that case, Open it up to all the seniors and let them all play. Then you can watch them all. :roll: Ya right, it defeats the purpose of an ALL STAR GAME.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 am

Why are you assuming that another player is a drop in caliber? There are some excellent players out there that did not get chosen for the all state team, etc. Just because they weren't in the inital six doesn't mean they struggle...
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:Why are you assuming that another player is a drop in caliber? There are some excellent players out there that did not get chosen for the all state team, etc. Just because they weren't in the inital six doesn't mean they aren't cool...

I agree. Some Seniors played on very good balanced teams that smoked their opponents the first half than sat the second because of big leads. So their stats were not as good as some players that were the stars on losing teams that did not even make it to state. Also, the coaches nominate the players and I have a lot more confidence in their selection than how the press selects all star teams.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:Why are you assuming that another player is a drop in caliber? There are some excellent players out there that did not get chosen for the all state team, etc. Just because they weren't in the inital six doesn't mean they aren't cool...

I was just using the all stater as an example to get my point across. If you are selected you should be able to participate in each one.
I agree that there is good players that dont receive the all state award but I want to see the best that comes out of north dakota competeing against each other.If a young lady has to chose from one sport or another in which game to play in and she picks softball instead of basketball, yes your getting a lower calaber player in basketball to fill the original girls spot.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls