Qwest for 6

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Qwest for 6

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:43 am

KXMB-TV is doing a documentary tonight at 6:30 on the Mandan Braves qwest for their 6th straight championship.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Qwest for 6

Postby cd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 am

This should be good, Brad has followed them all year.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:50 pm

how was the documentary
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:51 am

sportsguruguy wrote:how was the documentary

I thought it was good. I liked Amundson's confidence going into the State Championship Game, "I won't let you lose". Wow, for young girls to hear that would give any child the confidence to win. This is why I they win State Championships! Confidence.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:54 am

You are right, Eminence. These girls have great confidence, along with the hard work they put in. Along with their own confidence, I have seen these same girls give confidence to the little girls that they have coached at camps and league.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby flyguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:59 pm

In this documentay u really got to see how well amundson motivates the girls too win.....going into the final BHS game he says"i wont let u guys lose" he is very motivating and as long as they give it 100% he will do his part to get them the win
flyguy

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 pm

amundson is a very good coach indeed, but the main reason why greg is a good coach is he gets his players to play for him.That is all it takes at the high school level in any sport is to be a MOTIVATOR,and get the kids to play with confidence.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:00 am

I think in the past, jealousy created reasons why he was winning like recruiting, or some other negative comment. This allowed everyone to see the repor he has with his kids, the motivation and coaching style. It was very apparent when he received Coach of the Year and the kids were celebrating and giving hugs for congradulations.

The people who made those jealous comments should be ashamed of themselves because this documentory gave a true honest picture of what it would be like to be a Mandan Brave. Most kids would love to be able to participate in a program like that.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 am

I hope a lot of people that questioned the Braves coaching, etc. before got a chance to watch this documentary. It really was a true picture of what goes on and it was great that some of the businesses sponsored this. It should put a lot of the negativity to rest about the Braves. It really showed the great coaching style of Mr. Amundson and how much the girls respect him even if he works them very hard.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby demon_fan14 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 pm

it was crazy how they did this documentary from the beggining of the year. They werent favored to win state but its almost like the ppl doing the documentary knew they would.
demon_fan14

Postby SDHoops » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:45 pm

It's not that surprising when you take into consideration that it is a rare occassion for a team to be gearing up for a sixth straight title. How many teams nationwide can say they are going for sixth straight? This was a good idea and the documentary was very interesting and should be an award winner.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:56 pm

This was a very good documentary. There were other parts that Brad ended up having to leave out, like the videos of the little girls at the camp run by Coach Amundson and his assistants and the varsity girls this winter. I am sure there were lots of things actually left out because of the amount of video I am sure he took and the amount of time alloted for the documentary. Brad, you did an excellent job on this. Go Braves!
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby hillsvill » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:01 am

I see all these comments about coach amundson and they all sound so nice. But I saw a part of Amnundson last summer that really turned me off to his coaching style. We were at a tournament in Wahpeton and he had his team there. His team was struggling and he let them know he was unhappy. At one point, when the other team was making their free-throws, Coach Amundson yelled out, "You guys are playing like crap, it was a waste of time to come here" I could not believe what I heard. His girls looked so defeated. His comments to them were "do you know how to dribble?" Do you know how to throw a ball? Do you want me to draw it on a piece of paper? Can you tell me why you have that stupid smirk on your face out on the court?

I have family in Mandan and there are comments from parents that they are unhappy about kids coming in from other schools to play for Amundson and the kids from Mandan, who have been on his teams in the elementary, middle school, and early high school are pushed aside to let these so called "stars" to come in and take over their place.

I know that Coach Amundson is thought of very highly but I have seen a part of him that can be very hurtful to these young impressionable girls.
hillsvill

Postby rep » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am

hillsvill wrote:I see all these comments about coach amundson and they all sound so nice. But I saw a part of Amnundson last summer that really turned me off to his coaching style. We were at a tournament in Wahpeton and he had his team there. His team was struggling and he let them know he was unhappy. At one point, when the other team was making their free-throws, Coach Amundson yelled out, "You guys are playing like crap, it was a waste of time to come here" I could not believe what I heard. His girls looked so defeated. His comments to them were "do you know how to dribble?" Do you know how to throw a ball? Do you want me to draw it on a piece of paper? Can you tell me why you have that stupid smirk on your face out on the court?

I have family in Mandan and there are comments from parents that they are unhappy about kids coming in from other schools to play for Amundson and the kids from Mandan, who have been on his teams in the elementary, middle school, and early high school are pushed aside to let these so called "stars" to come in and take over their place.

I know that Coach Amundson is thought of very highly but I have seen a part of him that can be very hurtful to these young impressionable girls.

i suggest you read the rules of the forum. knocking a coach with your first post on an anon message board is one sure-fire way to make sure you aren't a member of the site for long.
rep

Postby demon_fan14 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:25 am

hillsvill wrote:I see all these comments about coach amundson and they all sound so nice. But I saw a part of Amnundson last summer that really turned me off to his coaching style. We were at a tournament in Wahpeton and he had his team there. His team was struggling and he let them know he was unhappy. At one point, when the other team was making their free-throws, Coach Amundson yelled out, "You guys are playing like crap, it was a waste of time to come here" I could not believe what I heard. His girls looked so defeated. His comments to them were "do you know how to dribble?" Do you know how to throw a ball? Do you want me to draw it on a piece of paper? Can you tell me why you have that stupid smirk on your face out on the court?

Whatever it takes to get the most out of your team and win
demon_fan14

Postby hillsvill » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:01 am

what a sad commentary, "do whatever it takes to win" And we wonder why this generation is having issues and eventually on Prozac.
hillsvill

Postby bbfollower » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:04 am

I just have to stick up for Coach Amundson. Yes, he is tough, but he gets results. These girls would not play for him if they did not like it and the respect he has from his players and the community showed when he won State Coach of the Year. These girls were very excited for him.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby mandanfanalso » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:07 am

I couldn't agree more with you, bbfollower! Yeah, Coach Amundson is tough on the girls at times, but that is what it takes to be state champs 6 years in a row. It is obvious that the girls respect him and from what I have seen they give him everything they got. (Can every coach say that?) The girls and fans were extremely overjoyed when the announce of Coach of the Year was made. This excitement continued at their bell ringing ceremony at Mandan High School. Congratulations Coach Amundson! (I am still in disbelief that some people can not give Coach Amundson the credit he deserves for a job well done!)
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm

hillsvill wrote:what a sad commentary, "do whatever it takes to win" And we wonder why this generation is having issues and eventually on Prozac.

http://www.prozac.com/how_prozac/how_it ... qNavId=2.2

i suggest becoming less of a moron and not blaming coaches for depression. i have no patience for you, your narrow-mindedness and your inability to add anything of any substance to this board. your account no longer works here.
rep

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:04 am

I don't believe this is true. You sound like a jealous parent from one of the other traveling teams. Great Coaches do not motivate their kids by ridicule. I was very apparent at the state tournament how his girls felt about him. The girls were jumping, hugging and celebrating when he won coach of the year. Didn't look like a group of kids who had been ridiculed. Looks more like a parent who is envious. GROW UP!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Amundson is apparently doing something right look at his records they explain enough. If i lived in the Bismarck, Mandan area my kids would be going to play for Greg. I have a brother who lives in Mandan and he tells me that greg is there with the kindergardners, basically molding these young girls to be state champions when they get to be in high school. Good for mandan, thats is aewsome.We will see how great of a coach he really is after he leaves the program and see how it progresses or fails(he cant coach forever).
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby mandanfanalso » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:39 am

My daughter is one of those kindergarten girls that has been at Coach Amundson's camps. He does a very good job of working with all age groups molding them into girls that love basketball. My daughter nags and nags between these camps. She can not wait to see Coach Amundson and the girls basketball players. Coach Amundson does a spectacular job developing the basketball skills of these girls but that is not all he does. My daughter has never been more proud of herself and more determined to do something. As a parent, it is wonderful to see my daughter forming her first interest in something and I have to thank Coach Amundson for that! I can see why the girls on the varsity basketball team respect Coach Amundson and give their all. He is already getting that from kindergarteners!
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbfollower » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 am

My daughter is also one of the kindergarteners that have been in basketball camps and summer league with Coach Amundson and the varsity girls (along with the other coaches). She too can't wait until the next camp starts and is always asking "When does basketball camp start?" These varsity girls also are super with the little girls. At the WDA tournament, after Mandan had played their first game, we happened to walk by Coach Amundson and the girls and Coach made the special effort to call my daughter to come over and gave her a high five. My daughter even at this young age has it in her mind that she is going to be a "state champion just like the big girls."
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:28 pm

rep wrote:
hillsvill wrote:I have family in Mandan and there are comments from parents that they are unhappy about kids coming in from other schools to play for Amundson and the kids from Mandan, who have been on his teams in the elementary, middle school, and early high school are pushed aside to let these so called "stars" to come in and take over their place.

I hope the varsity teams wouldn't be picked from only the kids who have been in the program since grade school. That would be a bummer to anyone who may have to relocate to Bismarck-Mandan for work. Those parents who expect their kids to make the team just because they have lived there longer than some probably should move to a smaller town where the growth of a school is slower. I don't know Coach Amundson but it sounds like he has really built up a great program that is trying to expose a great number of girls to learning solid basketball. Parents shouldn't take it as he is trying to set up his varsity teams of the future.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
rep wrote:
hillsvill wrote:I have family in Mandan and there are comments from parents that they are unhappy about kids coming in from other schools to play for Amundson and the kids from Mandan, who have been on his teams in the elementary, middle school, and early high school are pushed aside to let these so called "stars" to come in and take over their place.

I hope the varsity teams wouldn't be picked from only the kids who have been in the program since grade school. That would be a bummer to anyone who may have to relocate to Bismarck-Mandan for work. Those parents who expect their kids to make the team just because they have lived there longer than some probably should move to a smaller town where the growth of a school is slower. I don't know Coach Amundson but it sounds like he has really built up a great program that is trying to expose a great number of girls to learning solid basketball. Parents shouldn't take it as he is trying to set up his varsity teams of the future.

There is always negative people who will think and say the worst. I've heard comments like "he's recruiting or scouting his younger talent" just because we see him at some of the younger kid's games. It's just jealousy or parents who are envious. I've never heard someone from Mandan say anything negative about Mr. Amundson, just parents from the other side of the river who try to create excuses why they don't win. Teams need to stop making excuses and instead try to figure out what he is doing to make those championship teams.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls