2008-2009 season

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2008-2009 season

Postby grlsbballfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Whats the EDC going to look like. Will Fargo South get its 4th title in four years
Last edited by grlsbballfan on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2008-2009 season

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 am

here's what the magic 8-ball says:
(barring unforseen injuries/transfers, etc)

1-Fargo South
2-Central
3-Devils Lake
4-GFRR
5-West Fargo
6-Shanley
7-Fargo North
8-Wahpeton
9-Valley City

bank it! fast forward to Feb 28 2009 and look back and be amazed!! :shock:
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby grlsbballfan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 pm

THAT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD EAST GURU, BUT I WOULD HAVE TO PUT FARGO NORTH IN THE THIRD OR FOURTH SPOT, BEINGS THEY DON'T LOSE ANY STARTERS.WATCH OUT FOR CENTRAL THERE IS SOME PLAYERS ON THAT TEAM.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby thetruthhurtsyou » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:49 pm

haha...shanleys gonna have some sophomore power next year. looking forward to the upsets :)
thetruthhurtsyou

Postby grlsbballfan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:36 pm

thetruthhurtsyou wrote:haha...shanleys gonna have some sophomore power next year. looking forward to the upsets :)

You are right shanley is going to have some talented sophmores playing next year, but are they going to be able to compete at varsity level consistenly. Give them a year for expierence and watch out in 09- 10 season
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:52 pm

My pickto win the EDC is Fargo bruins,but devils lake and central will give them some problems.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:25 pm

i think bhs will have a good chance to be back at the top next year... for 1. new coach=new work ethic 2. they will have a lot of talent and senior leadership back next year which will help them with a smooth transition to a new coach.I think their key players are sara feeney who in my opinion needs to realize that she can't win a game by herself and should get her teammates who have a lot of talent involved...the teammates who she needs to get involved are sigl, buechler, sturlaugson, the assels, and maybe some other girls who step up. Sigl is going to be a good post presence and will take a lot of pressure off of their guards. Buechler can bring the ball up the court and make things happen from the ouside and she can get to the basket and score. Sturlaugson will also be bringing the ball up and isn't much of a scorer except for 3's. The assels are girls wo can play multiple positions on the floor and generally play good defense. As for the girls who will step up only time will tell who that is going to be.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsguruguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:33 pm

squeak63 wrote:i think bhs will have a good chance to be back at the top next year... for 1. new coach=new work ethic 2. they will have a lot of talent and senior leadership back next year which will help them with a smooth transition to a new coach.I think their key players are sara feeney who in my opinion needs to realize that she can't win a game by herself and should get her teammates who have a lot of talent involved...the teammates who she needs to get involved are sigl, buechler, sturlaugson, the assels, and maybe some other girls who step up. Sigl is going to be a good post presence and will take a lot of pressure off of their guards. Buechler can bring the ball up the court and make things happen from the ouside and she can get to the basket and score. Sturlaugson will also be bringing the ball up and isn't much of a scorer except for 3's. The assels are girls wo can play multiple positions on the floor and generally play good defense. As for the girls who will step up only time will tell who that is going to be.

DO any of these other players have any varsity experience besides feeney.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:45 am

They all do....Sigl was a starter ad the rest saw quite a bit of time off the bench.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby squeak63 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:21 am

if you ask me buechler should have even maybe been a starter... especially at the end of the season... in my mind they needed the scoring threat from the 1. gaurd position which buechler could bring.... to show that she is a scorer and i know its jv but she scored 25 points in one half of a jv game once this year
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsguruguy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Well then the way it sounds bismarck is going to have a nice team.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 am

squeak63 wrote:if you ask me buechler should have even maybe been a starter... especially at the end of the season... in my mind they needed the scoring threat from the 1. gaurd position which buechler could bring.... to show that she is a scorer and i know its jv but she scored 25 points in one half of a jv game once this year

Sturlaugson is better than Buechler. She was on JV for a reason. You cannot go by JV points because a lot of the younger talent are playing just Varsity. I did not see her excel on the Varsity. She has trouble seeing the floor and put her up against Mandan (Collins). She didn't do better than Sarah or Kaitlyn S.

BHS is missing post players next year. Their post are only 5'10" Sigl and who???? Both Assel's are only 5'9". That is where they will struggle.

The team still to beat will be Mandan. They return point guard Collins who caused BHS turnover after turnover and their main post Jensen who killed BHS's post play, imagine what she will do next next.

Jamestown will have to find some guards and some outside shooting. Unless they can hit from the outside all you'll have to do is pack the paint.

Century was young and should be a main contendor. They have 2 good post - Buck and Sorenson and they Peterson returning and also have good guards returning. They only lost 2 players and took 5th at state and knocked Jamestown out to go to state so they should be ranked higher than Jamestown.

My prediction for WDA:
1. Mandan
2. Century
3. Jamestown
4. BHS
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:29 am

Eminence wrote:
squeak63 wrote:if you ask me buechler should have even maybe been a starter... especially at the end of the season... in my mind they needed the scoring threat from the 1. gaurd position which buechler could bring.... to show that she is a scorer and i know its jv but she scored 25 points in one half of a jv game once this year

Sturlaugson is better than Buechler. She was on JV for a reason. You cannot go by JV points because a lot of the younger talent are playing just Varsity. I did not see her excel on the Varsity. She has trouble seeing the floor and put her up against Mandan (Collins). She didn't do better than Sarah or Kaitlyn S.

He was using jv stats to show her ability to score. I personally think she is "offensively" better than Sturlaugson, just my opinion, and honestly, how many guards aren't going to get eaten alive by Collins?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:41 am

balla45 wrote:
Eminence wrote:

He was using jv stats to show her ability to score. I personally think she is "offensively" better than Sturlaugson, just my opinion, and honestly, how many guards aren't going to get eaten alive by Collins?

That is true. I don't see any guards coming even close to Collins. I understand the point about being able to score but my point was that even though you may score 25 on JV, you are not competing against the best Sophmores or Juniors. Alot of teams are playing Freshman, Sophmores and Juniors solely on their Varsity teams and while she may be able to score 25 on JV, how many did she score on Varsity? 4.38 points per game. Sturlaugson averaged 5.91 Buechler had 13 total assist while Sturlaugson had 63 total assist which goes back to my point. Sturlaugson sees the floor better than Buechler. Buechler had 29 turnovers and Sturlaugson had 25 turnovers. Buechler had more turnovers for the year than she had assist. Who would either one have started over????
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby flyguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:03 pm

1.Mandan

2. Jamestown(Dale is real real good,does it all)
3.Fargo South
4.Century
5.BHS
flyguy

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:11 pm

flyguy wrote:1.Mandan

3.Fargo South
4.Century
5.BHS

Dale didn't do it all cause they didn't make it to state. Therefore, Century should be rated above Jamestown because Century only lost a total of 2 players. They still have their 3 main players back.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ol_Husky » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Predictions for 08-09 (I think it’ll be a dogfight for the top four WDA spots – and another battle for spots 5-7)

Mandan (14-2 in WDA): Perhaps the best basketball coach in the state (either boys or girls), returning two top players (Collins and Jensen), with a “program” second to none, makes this team the pre-season WDA favorite. Coach Amundson gets more out of his non-stars (players 3-10) than any other coach by focusing on defense first and making opponents pay for mistakes (almost 30 points a game off turnovers in 07-08).

Century (13-3 in WDA): Buck, Peterson, and Sorenson will likely combine for 35-40 points a game. Coach Metz will reload in the guard spots (with Vanderpan, Jossart, and Gordon?), expand his bench, and field a very formidable team.

Jamestown (13-3 in WDA): Dale and Ramlo will likely combine for 35+ points a game. Coach Botner will need to bring up some guard play from last year’s JV (a 12-7 team), find a shooter to replace Shuchard, and grow some depth in the bench.

Bismarck (11-5 in WDA): S. Feeney, Sigl, Sturlaugson, Buechler, and L. Assel are the likely starters. This is still a solid team, but the loss of A. Feeney, Gilbertson, Reimnitz, and S. Schmidt will hurt them inside, outside, and defensively. Even with the departure of Coach Meier, the talent level of this team will put them in contention for another run at state next year.

Dickinson (7-9 in WDA): Herauf and Uttech are solid on the inside, but Coach Jung will have lots of shoes to fill outside of 18’. If he can contain the turnovers and find a couple of credible shooters he can solidify the middle spot in a tough conference.

Minot (5-11 in WDA): Feland, Hansen, and Kraft are the leading returners on this team. The new coach will have to muster some perimeter offense to make up for the loss of the snipers (V. Poole and Luetzen are gone). The big question is: will we see something other than a 2-3 zone defense from Minot this year?

Turtle Mountain (5-11 in WDA): Parisien, Golus, and LaRocque lead this team. If they can tighten up the defense they could challenge Dickinson for the 5 spot. Editorial comment: a Turtle Mountain stat sheet on the WDA page(s) would help these kids get a little more recognition.

Williston (4-12 in WDA): This team is led by Hagen, Kain, Nice, and Torgerson. Even though they had a big loss in Njos, this will be a better overall team than last year. But Coach Austreim will need to cut down on the turnovers and pick up the rebounding numbers to improve on last year’s record.

St. Mary’s (0-16 in WDA): Tescher, Christiansen, and Kuntz are the leading returners. Coach Finck will have to find some additional horsepower from his 08 JV squad – and they went 1-17.

I expect the top four here (Mandan, Century, Jamestown, Bismarck) and South to hold down the top 5 class A rankings for most of the year; they may shuffle a spot or two from week to week, but those are “the contenders”.
Ol_Husky

Postby flyguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Ol_Husky wrote:Predictions for 08-09 (I think it’ll be a dogfight for the top four WDA spots – and another battle for spots 5-7)

Mandan (14-2 in WDA): Perhaps the best basketball coach in the state (either boys or girls), returning two top players (Collins and Jensen), with a “program” second to none, makes this team the pre-season WDA favorite. Coach Amundson gets more out of his non-stars (players 3-10) than any other coach by focusing on defense first and making opponents pay for mistakes (almost 30 points a game off turnovers in 07-08).

Century (13-3 in WDA): Buck, Peterson, and Sorenson will likely combine for 35-40 points a game. Coach Metz will reload in the guard spots (with Vanderpan, Jossart, and Gordon?), expand his bench, and field a very formidable team.

Jamestown (13-3 in WDA): Dale and Ramlo will likely combine for 35+ points a game. Coach Botner will need to bring up some guard play from last year’s JV (a 12-7 team), find a shooter to replace Shuchard, and grow some depth in the bench.

Bismarck (11-5 in WDA): S. Feeney, Sigl, Sturlaugson, Buechler, and L. Assel are the likely starters. This is still a solid team, but the loss of A. Feeney, Gilbertson, Reimnitz, and S. Schmidt will hurt them inside, outside, and defensively. Even with the departure of Coach Meier, the talent level of this team will put them in contention for another run at state next year.

Dickinson (7-9 in WDA): Herauf and Uttech are solid on the inside, but Coach Jung will have lots of shoes to fill outside of 18’. If he can contain the turnovers and find a couple of credible shooters he can solidify the middle spot in a tough conference.

Minot (5-11 in WDA): Feland, Hansen, and Kraft are the leading returners on this team. The new coach will have to muster some perimeter offense to make up for the loss of the snipers (V. Poole and Luetzen are gone). The big question is: will we see something other than a 2-3 zone defense from Minot this year?

Turtle Mountain (5-11 in WDA): Parisien, Golus, and LaRocque lead this team. If they can tighten up the defense they could challenge Dickinson for the 5 spot. Editorial comment: a Turtle Mountain stat sheet on the WDA page(s) would help these kids get a little more recognition.

Williston (4-12 in WDA): This team is led by Hagen, Kain, Nice, and Torgerson. Even though they had a big loss in Njos, this will be a better overall team than last year. But Coach Austreim will need to cut down on the turnovers and pick up the rebounding numbers to improve on last year’s record.

St. Mary’s (0-16 in WDA): Tescher, Christiansen, and Kuntz are the leading returners. Coach Finck will have to find some additional horsepower from his 08 JV squad – and they went 1-17.

I expect the top four here (Mandan, Century, Jamestown, Bismarck) and South to hold down the top 5 class A rankings for most of the year; they may shuffle a spot or two from week to week, but those are “the contenders”.

-Perhaps the best coach in the state?THE BEST COACH IN THE STATE!
-Ill agree with u then century will be ahead of jamestown.
-GOOD STUFF
flyguy

Postby squeak63 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm

Eminence wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Eminence wrote:

That is true. I don't see any guards coming even close to Collins. I understand the point about being able to score but my point was that even though you may score 25 on JV, you are not competing against the best Sophmores or Juniors. Alot of teams are playing Freshman, Sophmores and Juniors solely on their Varsity teams and while she may be able to score 25 on JV, how many did she score on Varsity? 4.38 points per game. Sturlaugson averaged 5.91 Buechler had 13 total assist while Sturlaugson had 63 total assist which goes back to my point. Sturlaugson sees the floor better than Buechler. Buechler had 29 turnovers and Sturlaugson had 25 turnovers. Buechler had more turnovers for the year than she had assist. Who would either one have started over????

25 points in one half though i dont care if she was playing in a soph. game thats a pace to score anywhere from 45-55 points in one high school girls game she obviously can score and yes will agree with you that she at times can be bad with the ball but i dont know i guess i just saw more fire to play and desire to win in buechler its just my gut feeling... i think there gonna be good together next year along with feeny... MAYBE they will be able to get the ball up the court once or twice against mandan... sigl can hold her own in the post too but they are gonna need to have someone else step up down low
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Eminence wrote:

3.Fargo South
4.Century
5.BHS

Dale didn't do it all cause they didn't make it to state. Therefore, Century should be rated above Jamestown because Century only lost a total of 2 players. They still have their 3 main players back.

I dont agree with having century or jamestown in the number two spot. The bruins are going to be one or two at state.They lose two players and have some very talented guards returning, with some force in the paint as posts.I beleive century will place higher than jamestown being the bluejays only have dale returning.You have to consider the braves the number one spot, but i think there run is going to stop at six.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:49 am

grlsbballfan wrote:
Eminence wrote:

3.Fargo South
4.Century
5.BHS

I dont agree with having century or jamestown in the number two spot. The bruins are going to be one or two at state.They lose two players and have some very talented guards returning, with some force in the paint as posts.I beleive century will place higher than jamestown being the bluejays only have dale returning.You have to consider the braves the number one spot, but i think there run is going to stop at six.

I think they were talking just WDA. South will definetly be a contendor. Mandan will still be tough and I don't think it will stop at #6. Collins creates too much of a problem for teams to handle. I haven't seen anyone who has come close, Offensively or Defensively. They have Jensen inside who scored at will against BHS which I didn't see South having that same ability. Don't get me wrong. South will be good, just don't see them knocking off Mandan.

My State prediction:
1. Mandan
2. Fargo South
3. Century
4. Jamestown (if there able to put it together this time)
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ol_Husky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:24 am

South’s loss of Anstadt and Stroup to graduation is significant; these two kept them in the game against the better teams. Even with some exciting youngsters coming up, I’d still rank the 07-08 South team above the line-up I expect to see in 08-09.

The good news for South is that the EDC, overall, loses a lot to graduation; Shanley goes from “contender” to “lucky to break .500” and Red River loses 4 of their top 5 scorers.

Devils Lake and GF Central appear to be the new challengers in the EDC, battling South and Red River for the top four spots in the EDC.

I expect South to go 13-3 (maybe even 14-2) in the EDC and go into the state tournament as the EDC #1 seed.

Given all that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a WDA sweep in the first day of the state tournament. Yup. There’s that much difference in the two conferences in 08-09. Even though both Bismarck and Mandan lose a lot of firepower to graduation these were both teams that were an honest 8 or 9 deep – not much drop off from the starting 5. And Century and Jamestown have pretty much all their big guns coming back. It could be a tough Thursday at the 2009 state tourney for the EDC.
Ol_Husky

Postby sportsguruguy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

[
quote="Ol_Husky"]South’s loss of Anstadt and Stroup to graduation is significant; these two kept them in the game against the better teams. Even with some exciting youngsters coming up, I’d still rank the 07-08 South team above the line-up I expect to see in 08-09.

The good news for South is that the EDC, overall, loses a lot to graduation; Shanley goes from “contender” to “lucky to break .500” and Red River loses 4 of their top 5 scorers.

Devils Lake and GF Central appear to be the new challengers in the EDC, battling South and Red River for the top four spots in the EDC.

I expect South to go 13-3 (maybe even 14-2) in the EDC and go into the state tournament as the EDC #1 seed.

Given all that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a WDA sweep in the first day of the state tournament. Yup. There’s that much difference in the two conferences in 08-09. Even though both Bismarck and Mandan lose a lot of firepower to graduation these were both teams that were an honest 8 or 9 deep – not much drop off from the starting 5. And Century and Jamestown have pretty much all their big guns coming back. It could be a tough Thursday at the 2009 state tourney for the EDC.[/quote

Struop and Anstad were indeed a significant loss, but what senior that plays on a regular basis isn't a significant loss. I think that the bruins have some nice juniors that will fill those shoes just fine.South to was 8 deep in the 07-08 season.
Mandan is still going to be the top team until someone knocks them off, but I don't believe that the demons are going to be a state caliber team.They lose four starters and are possibly going to be learning a new coaching system. That is alot to overcome in a year.The 08-09 season is a long way ahead and who knows what is going to happen.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 pm

Ol_Husky wrote:South’s loss of Anstadt and Stroup to graduation is significant; these two kept them in the game against the better teams. Even with some exciting youngsters coming up, I’d still rank the 07-08 South team above the line-up I expect to see in 08-09.

Are you kidding? :shock: South was good because of their guards, not their post players. Stroup was a great athlete, but not a great basketball player, and Anstadt was adequate as a post. South's backcourt trio of Burck, Roehrich, and Haring are about as good as it gets, and they will all be back next year. Add to that Ali Fisher who is a dead-eye from 3 point land and next year's team will be way better than this years. South was good when their press was working, not playing the game with their posts. I don't mean to take anything away from their posts, they gave what they had, but the strength of the Bruins is returning in the form of their guards. They will have adequate posts next year: Weatherspoon and Lee will fill in where Anstadt and Stroup left off. The soph post they moved up at the end of the year may be pretty good too. Their record may not inidicate they will be better next year (obviously hard to improve on 16-0) but that will be because the rest of the league top to bottom will be better. GFC, DL, WF, RR all will field good teams. Shanley will be OK. North will be not quite OK. Wahp and VC will be bad.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby grlsbballfan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Ol_Husky wrote:South’s loss of Anstadt and Stroup to graduation is significant; these two kept them in the game against the better teams. Even with some exciting youngsters coming up, I’d still rank the 07-08 South team above the line-up I expect to see in 08-09.

Are you kidding? :shock: South was good because of their guards, not their post players. Stroup was a great athlete, but not a great basketball player, and Anstadt was adequate as a post. South's backcourt trio of Burck, Roehrich, and Haring are about as good as it gets, and they will all be back next year. Add to that Ali Fisher who is a dead-eye from 3 point land and next year's team will be way better than this years. South was good when their press was working, not playing the game with their posts. I don't mean to take anything away from their posts, they gave what they had, but the strength of the Bruins is returning in the form of their guards. They will have adequate posts next year: Weatherspoon and Lee will fill in where Anstadt and Stroup left off. The soph post they moved up at the end of the year may be pretty good too. Their record may not inidicate they will be better next year (obviously hard to improve on 16-0) but that will be because the rest of the league top to bottom will be better. GFC, DL, WF, RR all will field good teams. Shanley will be OK. North will be not quite OK. Wahp and VC will be bad.

Very well spoken East guru,are you sure you are a wannabe. I would agree totally with the trio of guards for south in Burck, Roehrich, Haring.These three guards together would be at the top in the state or even the best in the state.Now you put Fisher with them and they can beat you from anywere on the floor.They played a style of very uptempo and relied on defense for easy baskets in transition.They hardly ever set up and play a half court offense.Then comes Miss Lee who is strong and gets to the hoop well(who had a career high of 29 points in a game in 07-08)and weatherspoons 6'3" frame in their blocking numerous shots. The bruins are going to be very hard to beat. Watch out Mandan!!!
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls