State Predictions

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State Predictions

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:15 am

What are everyone's predictions for the state tourney this weekend in Bismarck? I think the 1 and 2 seeds from both east and west will go through and then I'd have to say the odds are for the west but you never know south has been playing very good and shanley has got something to prove after three losses to south
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Re: State Predictions

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Mandan and Shanley in the Semi's - Mandan over Shanley by 20
BHS and South in Semi's - BHS by 20
Mandan and BHS in Finals - Mandan over BHS by 10
South and Shanley - South by 10.

1. Mandan
2. BHS
3. South
4. Shanley

After seeing BHS and Mandan on Saturday, I don't think BHS can handle that kind of press. Mandan was like a freight train that hit them. All five of Mandan's players seemed to be everywhere with Collins the main ring leader. I really thought this would be BHS's year.

I haven't seen South play since they played BHS but unless they improved alot, I don't see South beating BHS. With Jamestown out of the picture, the east and west will place 2 teams each.

My cinderella team would be Century. They have the package but it depends which team hits the floor.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby upnext » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Mandan to win sixth straight outcoaches BHS once again like my REGIONAL prediction
Two east teams probably meet for third but who cares.

Mandan to continue domination of state once again.
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby thetruthhurtsyou » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 pm

in regards to that 3rd shanley loss...i felt compelled after the edc championship to write about what was witnessed there. One of the officials at the game handed in one of the most disgraceful performances officiating ever witnessed. Shanley players who had set position were call for fouls as south guards barreled themselves wildly into set bodies. After several calls had gone against shanley that were obviously false, i witnessed an instance in which a shanley defender, with arms straight up and feet set, stood in the same spot for 3 seconds (yes, i counted) and then got whistled for a shooting foul as a south guard again simply found themselves unable to score and as such tried to fake some sort of legit contact. I recognize that i must walk a difficult line here; criticize officiating after a loss and it often as seen as just complaining. I must stress that i do not wish to diminish the quality of souths team. South had nothing to do with the officials performance. however, the win loses meaning due to the fact that because of reffing what was an extremely even game lost the oppurtunity to be a classic, with even scoring representing that fact. She was at best incredibly inept and at worse blatantly biased. I realize that my words will be unable to persuade many, i simply ask you to find a copy of the game and watch her performance. it was a disgrace that should not be repeated: she should not ref any tournament games next year. There has to be some sort of check on truly horrible officiating performances, beyond just what one team feels was slightly against them. I mean that in the most impartial way i can judge the situation, but again, i urge you to view the tape and am sure it'll be made clear.

on a different note, we know who received the award for coach of the year, but there is no coach i'd rather have from this state then jacobson...none at all.
thetruthhurtsyou

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:06 pm

South deserved to win...but ya she was pretty bad if i do say so myself and am a person who doesn't really care between south and shanley
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby roughrider125 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm

bballfan1 wrote:South deserved to win...but ya she was pretty bad if i do say so myself and am a person who doesn't really care between south and shanley

It was weird how bad some of the calls were...and they weren't like game changing they were just blatent bad calls like one time it should have been a shot clock violation - Roerich threw it up and missed the rim hitting the bottom of the backboard and the shot clock went off, the refs continued play when it obviously didn't hit the rim.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 pm

South has a better TEAM than Shanley this year. How can you argue 3-0? That said, if the two teams met again Shanley would have a CHANCE to win if things went right. More times than not if somebody drives and initiates contact and the defender just stands there with arms straight up the defender will still get a foul called. Always has been that way. Just smart basketball by the offensive team. Many times the fans aren't watching the lower body. There were some times though this game that it appeared the Shanley posts took great pains to just stand there though this alone wouldn't have in any way changed the outcome. Last thing I want is for Shanley fans to imply that bad reffing determined this game! Good luck to South, Shanley, RR and DL at the state tourny.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thetruthhurtsyou » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:04 am

realize again that i mentioned specifically south has a very good team, that in particular seems effective against shanley.... my main argument was not that south didnt deserve to win the game, simply that i wish horrible officiating hadnt been such an obvious part of the game. the shot clock violation is a good example of when they poorly officiated with little impact on the game, but the numerous sketchy fouls did impact the game as a whole. I will stress again that this most likely would not have changed the outcome, and that i realize every game will have some borderline fouls, simply that the number of onesided and fairly ridiculous fouls was the elephant in the room. it is for this reason that i referred to the officiating: that official should never referee a tournament again. ever.
thetruthhurtsyou

Postby bruins44 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:20 am

This Ref was not very good, I agree with you! the other Ref was not very much better.
but your bias toward her being bad only for Shanley is laughable! There were touch fouls called both ways, there were no calls both ways. yes the no shot clock violation was a bad call and the foot out of bounds was a bad call, but your explanation that the Shanley girls were just standing there and the south girls charged into them is not fair and wrong! The South guards were quicker than the Shanley guards and were able to get by them to the hoop drawing fouls. I think thats smart basketball not bad refereeing. South was the better team Saturday night as well as the two meetings during the regular season, if they meet at State it might be different but it might be the same, then what are you going to blame it on??
I would say both Jacobson and Flaagan are the best coaches in their players minds, Flaagan was coach of the year and very deserving.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thetruthhurtsyou » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:25 am

note that nowhere do you deny that even if the south guards got past the shanley guards they still ran into posts that had been standing there for an extended period of time and somehow got calls. edc brings up a good point that alot of time its just gonna be called on the d.... jay bilas made a good point about this on espn when he stated that if you're not positive its a charge then its a block. the reason why it was horrible was because there were several positive charges, or at the very least if not a charge then a normal shot block. it is those calls that bother me, specifically because neither of te other 2 refs even attempted to call a foul, yet she somehow thought she could make out of position calls all over the court.

idk about whatever ref your talking about, he was complicit in the shot clock violation because that was a crew thing but you've provided no other examples.... as such the criticism alone still stands.
note that i did not comment on the award, but rather on which i coach i would rather have. and i stand by that statement.
thetruthhurtsyou

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:44 am

OK, you've made your point about the officiating. Please do not take it any further - it will just escalate into a locked topic.

Back to the topic - State Predictions....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 am

Sometimes they need to let it go with a no call. If the defender has position and straight up and the offense initiates the contact then it should not be called a block and it shouldn't be called a charge unless the offensive player makes enough contact to knock the defender back or over. But in HS I think any contact they seem to want to call something to get control over the game and not have a slug fest.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GOOD OF THE TEAM » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:01 pm

A tall person should not have a foul called (penalized) on her/him, just because she/he is tall. Not referring to this specific FS/FShan game, but it does seem to occur routinely IMO.
GOOD OF THE TEAM

Postby Eminence » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 pm

I think what Deuce is trying to say is that it is a no call unless the defender takes a charge or the defender is late and is moving and therefore is a foul. It should not automatically be a call just because of the contact.

The problem that fans have is when it is called one sided. On one end every little touch is a foul and on the other end it is a slug fest. Refs need to be consistent so the players can adjust to the calls.

In tournament play it is better not to make the call than to over call and influence the game. If that happened in the East, then refs are choosing the winner and not the players.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Ummmm.......back to the topic.......
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:16 pm

In the first round Im going to go with Mandan over DL, Shanley over Minot, South over Century and Bismarck over Red River

Second Round, Mandan over Shanley, BHS over South

Championship Mandan over BHS.... for some reason the Demons just cant beat the Braves!! it should be a great game in front of a packed house.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grlsbballfan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Mandan over DL,Bismarck over RR, Shanley over Minot, south over century. In the semi's mandan over shanley, south over demons. In the finalssouthis going to upset mandan in O.T
As to the persons complaining about the refs in the south,shanley game, I too was at this game their just to watch a good basketball game, yes their was bad calls made ON BOTH SIDES.
Stop complaining about the officiating, they did in know way decide the outcome of this game. South is just a better team this year and it showed in the previous meetings. Maybe shanley lost this game because of the numerous turnovers enforced by the bruins defense, or the missed oportunities all game long. You can't go through a game complaining about officiating their human too, you just have to tell the players to get out their a play ball, in which the bruins did a better job in previous meetings. It showed 3-0.
As to coy the bruins went 18-0 in EDC, they play 2 seniors and the rest are very young. So for a coach to take a young team and put them where their going to be successfull is awsome. The right choice was made that is why Flaagan is C. O. Y.
Good luck to all the eastern teams I hope they go down to bismarck and show the western teams what the edc is made of.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby thetruthhurtsyou » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:59 pm

can't make predictions because i havnt seen the west.... do any of the west teams have great height?

as far as it being bad on "both sides" i'd still like examples of where this occurred....not too important because the games in the books, but the ref in question imo didnt call anything on south.
you bring up a good point that it doesnt have to be a charge or a blocking foul, thats why i said then it should have just been a regular stat line block... oh well.
thetruthhurtsyou

Postby demon_fan14 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:05 am

I think we all know Bismarck and Mandan will be in the ship........should be another doozy
demon_fan14

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 am

thetruthhurtsyou wrote:can't make predictions because i havnt seen the west.... do any of the west teams have great height?

as far as it being bad on "both sides" i'd still like examples of where this occurred....not too important because the games in the books, but the ref in question imo didnt call anything on south.
you bring up a good point that it doesnt have to be a charge or a blocking foul, thats why i said then it should have just been a regular stat line block... oh well.

Bismarck has height. 4 of their starters are 5'10 - 6'2 and they have Shannon Schmidt coming off the bench at 5'10 and very physical. Jamestown didn't make it but they had 3 pretty tall players in Dale, Shuchard and Ramlo. So the west has played some height this year.
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 am

demon_fan14 wrote:I think we all know Bismarck and Mandan will be in the ship........should be another doozy

South could be trouble for BHS. I haven't seen them play so I can't make a prediction but from what I've read South has been playing well. South's youth could be a problem but first things first, we'll have to see how everyone plays the first round.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockey08 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm picking Shanley to pull an upset in the second round and make it to the title game where they will face BHS for the ship.
hockey08

Postby thetruthhurtsyou » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:46 am

i wasnt so much wondering if they had played height... more just wondering if anyone had a heigh advantage over the east. does mandan have much?
thetruthhurtsyou

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:13 am

thetruthhurtsyou wrote:i wasnt so much wondering if they had played height... more just wondering if anyone had a heigh advantage over the east. does mandan have much?

No, they'll be one of the shorter teams in the tournament.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls