Class A girls poll

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:35 am

Girls

1. Mandan (6) 7-0 30 1

2. Bismarck Century 6-0 24 2

3. West Fargo 6-1 18 3

4. Bismarck 5-1 7 NR

5. Devils Lake 5-1 6 NR

Also receiving votes: Dickinson (4-3), Fargo South (4-3).
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:26 am

I think we can just give Mandan the title again!! they not only are winning every game but winning by 30 and 40 pts.... Amundson has the premier program in the state (any sport)
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:00 am

Don't count out Century. I believe that they beat Mandan twice last season (at least once) and have a strong team again. Andrea LaFrance is a straight ballah!!
Y-not Daily

Postby bruins44 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:02 am

Mandan beat Century last night 53-45,  maybe there is a chance, Fargo South had Century down in the 4th qt before Century went on a run and won by 9
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sioux75 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:34 pm

The first poll of the season came out with not any real surprises, and an as expected good showing from the WDA.

Girls

1. Mandan
2. Bismarck Century 
3. Devils Lake
4. Bismarck
5. Dickinson
sioux75

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:37 pm

The WDA deserves a good showing after the fargo teams got trounced last weekend.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:54 pm

Before all is done, South will be in the top five.  Bismarck, Mandan, Century will stay there all year.  Devils Lake has to prove it to me.  That might happen this Tuesday when DL goes to Shanley.  If Shanley wins do they belong in the top 5?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:03 am

EDC wrote:Before all is done, South will be in the top five.  Bismarck, Mandan, Century will stay there all year.  Devils Lake has to prove it to me.  That might happen this Tuesday when DL goes to Shanley.  If Shanley wins do they belong in the top 5?

South is awfully young to get in the top 5.  Starting a soph and #1 off the bench is a freshman.  DL was picked to win the EDC by the hoopster and only lost one player from last year.  They also have argueabbly the best gaurd in the state.  Shanley needs to prove an aweful lot.  They beat Central because they made 57% of their three's.  Those were not falling against Crookston.  If they can't be more consistent, it will be tough to get in the top 5.  They are much improved though and coach Jacobson will do big things with them.  I am excited to see the game tomorrow night.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfootball » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:31 am

Do you think that Minot would make the list if they actually had a good coach.
ndfootball

Postby ndman » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:46 pm

ndfootball wrote:Do you think that Minot would make the list if they actually had a good coach.

I think that they have some pretty good players but their coach doesn't know how to get the full potential out of them.
ndman

Postby bruins44 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:00 pm

ndman wrote:
ndfootball wrote:Do you think that Minot would make the list if they actually had a good coach.

I think that they have some pretty good players but their coach doesn't know how to get the full potential out of them.

Sounds like whinning to me!!  yes Minot has not competed for a WDA title in the past few years but do they have the talent?  Wasnt it 99 that they were in the title game? vs Fargo North?  and they made state last year with a team that overachieved at the end of the season...

Why is it that when a team doesnt win, people always blame the coach??? Team chemestry and just plain talent are big reasons teams win or lose.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Shanley should be getting some consideration of being ranked in the top five after knocking off Devils Lake.  Need to beat West Fargo first this Thursday.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:21 pm

bruins44 wrote:
ndman wrote:

Sounds like whinning to me!!  yes Minot has not competed for a WDA title in the past few years but do they have the talent?  Wasnt it 99 that they were in the title game? vs Fargo North?  and they made state last year with a team that overachieved at the end of the season...

Why is it that when a team doesnt win, people always blame the coach??? Team chemestry and just plain talent are big reasons teams win or lose.

because in the climate of high school athletics, not just in north dakota or at class a or class b but anywhere, you can't say it is the kids' fault. some kid might take it personally, take their own life or lord knows what, and then you are evil for blaming the kid for a loss.

so because the kids can't be blamed, the next logical step is that it was the coach's fault, wrong or right, in my opinion.

it is a tough situation...a lot of these players are just kids and really, they shouldn't be burdened with being the reason a team lost, that is a tough load to shoulder. but at the same time, it is kind of the nature of athletics - someone is going to lose and there is going to be a reason why they lost. so in my opinion there is always this back and forth on it and depending on the swing, will determine where the blame falls.

i'm pretty sure that the biggest lesson to learn from athletics is how to deal with winning and losing and translating that to your own life both as a teenager and later on as an adult, but a lot of people don't - they see athletics as punching their kids ticket to a free education/job down the line/name in the paper/random award/etc. and i think that is where some of the problems come in.
rep

Postby magichoops » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:36 am

I think in Minot you can blame the coach and even the whole coaching staff. Go watch a game sometime before you defend the coaches. They (the staff)usually look like they are falling asleep and the players on the bench look the same way. They sit their with their legs stretched out, laying back, and their arms crossed over their chests. If their is a school that needs a change after 30 years  it is Minot.
Last edited by magichoops on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
magichoops

Postby EDC » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Boy, how can anybody deny what difference a coach makes by looking at what Shanley is doing this year.  Night and Day!!!  What would have Jacobson done with B Geffre and Guili Varionno??  Maybe two of the best athletes to come out of Shanley.  I agree that parents and fans start pointing fingers when things aren't going as well as expected (wanted) and the coach is an easy target.  But to say a coach doesn't make a difference is just plain wrong!! - even though an easy excuse.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BisonFan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:35 pm

As a fan it is easy to point the finger at coaches, but put yourself in their shoes once instead of being an ignorant parent and take on some responsiblity.  I have witnessed too many parents live through their kids and thats not always good.  High school sports is meant to be fun and entertaining, not a parents dream.  Although its hard for some parents to take the back seat and write on these boards about certain teams, all I ask is that if your so smart go back to college and get a coaching certificate.
I like your style...
BisonFan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby demonfan74 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:59 pm

I agree strongly that it has a lot to do with the players and their attitudes.  However, guidance is needed by a coach to move in the right direction.  Quite frankly, minot isn't.  The sad part is they have talented players and they continue to be in the bottom half of the WDA.  Maybe it's a combination of the coach and the players.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:20 pm

EDC wrote:Boy, how can anybody deny what difference a coach makes by looking at what Shanley is doing this year.  Night and Day!!!  What would have Jacobson done with B Geffre and Guili Varionno??  Maybe two of the best athletes to come out of Shanley.  I agree that parents and fans start pointing fingers when things aren't going as well as expected (wanted) and the coach is an easy target.  But to say a coach doesn't make a difference is just plain wrong!! - even though an easy excuse.

I agree with everything EDC is saying,  Ive been to games where you can look at the two teams playing and the two coaches coaching and the talent on both teams is equal the better coach will find a way to win the game every time... Good coaches make good players better, Great coaches make average players winners!!  the Bauer(sp) girls for Shanley are prime examples of what a good coach can do, I watched them play last year and wondered why they were on the court and now seeing them play vs Devils Lake this week they both are quality varsity basketball players playing with confidence, and Im sure the coaching change at Shanley has had alot to do with that. But you still need all the pieces of the puzzle to have a winning team and program, YES the coach is a big part of it but players and parental support are keys to winning programs too...
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm

bruins44 wrote:
EDC wrote:Boy, how can anybody deny what difference a coach makes by looking at what Shanley is doing this year.  Night and Day!!!  What would have Jacobson done with B Geffre and Guili Varionno??  Maybe two of the best athletes to come out of Shanley.  I agree that parents and fans start pointing fingers when things aren't going as well as expected (wanted) and the coach is an easy target.  But to say a coach doesn't make a difference is just plain wrong!! - even though an easy excuse.

I agree with everything EDC is saying,  Ive been to games where you can look at the two teams playing and the two coaches coaching and the talent on both teams is equal the better coach will find a way to win the game every time... Good coaches make good players better, Great coaches make average players winners!!  the Bauer(sp) girls for Shanley are prime examples of what a good coach can do, I watched them play last year and wondered why they were on the court and now seeing them play vs Devils Lake this week they both are quality varsity basketball players playing with confidence, and Im sure the coaching change at Shanley has had alot to do with that. But you still need all the pieces of the puzzle to have a winning team and program, YES the coach is a big part of it but players and parental support are keys to winning programs too...

I agree totally
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby magichoops » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:24 am

BisonFan wrote:As a fan it is easy to point the finger at coaches, but put yourself in their shoes once instead of being an ignorant parent and take on some responsiblity.  I have witnessed too many parents live through their kids and thats not always good.  High school sports is meant to be fun and entertaining, not a parents dream.  Although its hard for some parents to take the back seat and write on these boards about certain teams, all I ask is that if your so smart go back to college and get a coaching certificate.
Minot hasn't done anything different in 30 years. Nobody actually scouts the Minot High girls program because they have the game film from 1987. This isn't college where you can recruit the types of players to fit a system. A coaches responsiblity is to lead and that isn't happening in the Minot system from 9th grade through the varsity.
magichoops

Postby ndfootball » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:58 am

Magic hoops is right.  Bud just sits back and laughs while his team is getting killed.  He has run the same defense and same offense for the past 20 years.
ndfootball

Postby minotfan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:57 pm

I remember watching the game last year between Minot and Mandan and their coach just sat there and laughed as they couldnt break the press.  He didnt even give them advice on how to break it.  It didnt even look like he cared.
minotfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby magichoops » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:21 pm

It is amazing the parents don't complain louder. What does the AD or administration think about this?
magichoops

Return to Girls