South Shanley 2

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

South Shanley 2

Postby bruins44 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:49 am

This was the recap of the South - Shanley game from the Bruin Web page... South won 56-52

In a game that was close the entire time, the Bruins had just enough down the stretch to post a 56-52 win over second place Shanley on Tuesday night in the Deacon gym in front of a large, vocal crowd. The win gives the Bruins firm control of first place in the EDC, as they improve to 10-0 in the league and drops the Deacons to 8-2, with both Shanley losses coming to the Bruins. In the first half, neither team shot the ball particularly well as the teams combined for only 15 first half baskets, but both teams were competing hard. South jumped out to a quick lead, and extended that lead thanks to some nice plays by Amy Stroup, who had a tough three point play in the half, and a huge spark off the bench from freshman Alley Fisher, who nailed a pair of three pointers and had a great pass to a cutting Caitlyn Haring for an easy basket as well. The Bruins took a hard fought 23-19 lead into halftime. In the second half, Mara Paulson and Lauren Carew began to put points on the board as the duo combined for 21 second half points to keep the Deacons close throughout. The Deacons scored the first 4 points of the half to tie the game, but South responded with 4 of their own to retake the lead. The Deacons continued to make runs at South, taking a two point lead twice midway through the half, but each time South responded with a big basket. Amy Stroup had a nice cutting shot, and Katie Lee had a big basket when she sealed her defender and got a great pass from Caitlyn Haring. Caitlyn was definitely the sparkplug for the second half as she was everywhere, continually keeping the ball alive for South, grabbing 10 offensive rebounds on her way to a game high 16 rebound night. She also led the Bruins with 8 steals and 5 assists. In the closing moments, the Bruins had a five point lead at 54-49 when Molly Brenner hit a three pointer from the corner to make it 54-52. The Bruins then couldn't convert on the offensive end and the Deacons had the ball with a chance to tie the game up, but a short shot by Mara Paulson bounced out, and South got the ball back and was fouled with 10 seconds left. Kristen Anstadt, who went 7 for 7 from the line on the night, calmly nailed both freethrows to push the lead to 56-52, and the Bruins held on for the big win. Anstadt led the Bruins in scoring with 13 points, while Amy Stroup and Alley Fisher both hit double figures with 11 each.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: South Shanley 2

Postby GOOD OF THE TEAM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 am

My opinion FWIW...players from both teams played hard. I doubt however, either team will play this poorly again this year. Coaches were pulling their hair out with all the turnovers (almost 50 between them) and the missed bunnies. Difference in the game was South three pointers and points off offensive rebounds. Would love to see the teams play again when both play to their capabilities.
GOOD OF THE TEAM

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:23 am

The deciding factor was freethrows. South made 15 of 18. Both Stroup and Anstadt were 100% from the line.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby GOOD OF THE TEAM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:39 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:The deciding factor was freethrows. South made 15 of 18. Both Stroup and Anstadt were 100% from the line.

Yes, South had three traditional three point plays, and also outscored Shanley 15 to 6 from beyond the arc.
GOOD OF THE TEAM

Postby bruins44 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:20 am

GOOD OF THE TEAM wrote:My opinion FWIW...players from both teams played hard. I doubt however, either team will play this poorly again this year. Coaches were pulling their hair out with all the turnovers (almost 50 between them) and the missed bunnies. Difference in the game was South three pointers and points off offensive rebounds. Would love to see the teams play again when both play to their capabilities.

I agree, both teams missed some easy put backs, turnovers were up but I think the defenses had something to do with that. South played great perimiter defense and Shanleys Zone gave South some trouble. But what I liked about last nights game was the intesity and effort given by each team.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls