Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am

I've always put more stock into senior athlete of the year which is voted on by coaches.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am

SDHoops wrote:
Baller wrote:
bbplayer wrote:All I know is that Ashley Prevosky should not recieve the Miss Basketball award. She was injured early in the season and injuries are a big part of sports. Don't get me wrong, I think Ashley is a good player but is over rated due to having a good state A championship game last year in Fargo. I had the opportunity to watch Ashley play several times last year and I was not too impressed.

She didn't even play very well in the Championship game. She was playing on a sprained ankle and was limping on the court. I do not think that she is overrated. I do not think though that she should be Miss Basketball, but to answer the question why should she be considered over Bindas or Roemmich who also got hurt? Because she had already proven that she was the best player in the state and the other two were far from it.
That being said, I think that (in my opinion) people to consider are:

Feeney
Paulson
Baldwin
Finley
Miller
Killoran
in that order

You are a disgrace to girls basketball. Go somewhere else where you KNOW the sport..

You are calling me a disgrace because I do not agree with you?? Go somewhere else and get an open mind. If you are allowed your opinion I am allowed mine!! Who made you made the know all be all of girls basketball. Not everyone is going to think your beloved Finley is the greatest girl to ever see the court. get over it. you are obviously a relative or a boyfriend who can see nothing but her. I think she is one of the top players, just not the top.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SDHoops » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Baller wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
Baller wrote:
bbplayer wrote:All I know is that Ashley Prevosky should not recieve the Miss Basketball award. She was injured early in the season and injuries are a big part of sports. Don't get me wrong, I think Ashley is a good player but is over rated due to having a good state A championship game last year in Fargo. I had the opportunity to watch Ashley play several times last year and I was not too impressed.

She didn't even play very well in the Championship game. She was playing on a sprained ankle and was limping on the court. I do not think that she is overrated. I do not think though that she should be Miss Basketball, but to answer the question why should she be considered over Bindas or Roemmich who also got hurt? Because she had already proven that she was the best player in the state and the other two were far from it.
That being said, I think that (in my opinion) people to consider are:

Feeney
Paulson
Baldwin
Finley
Miller
Killoran
in that order

You are a disgrace to girls basketball. Go somewhere else where you KNOW the sport..

You are calling me a disgrace because I do not agree with you?? Go somewhere else and get an open mind. If you are allowed your opinion I am allowed mine!! Who made you made the know all be all of girls basketball. Not everyone is going to think your beloved Finley is the greatest girl to ever see the court. get over it. you are obviously a relative or a boyfriend who can see nothing but her. I think she is one of the top players, just not the top.

No, not related, not a boyfriend. Someone who knows the game of basketball, obviously. It's some of the names you threw out there..also it is impossible to rank players right about now...what if Feeney or Finley or anyone for that matter does a chokejob at state? That could obviously change everything..players like MJ, Reggie Miller, etc. all made a name for themselves in the post-season..so I guess we will have to wait and see..I guess I took the bait but know that you are just ignorant to do so, so I will ignore your stupidity toward girls basketball from now on. Anyone who has some real knowledge of the game who would like to weigh their opinions please do so! Feeney is a player, by the way
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Apparently Gene Roebuck doesnt think Miss Privratsky is over-rated. How many Juco teams in the state and he has her coming to UND because he wants her there. She has been a team leader since she was a sophomore, averaging right around 20ppg a nite and did all the little things on that team. SHe got hurt, bad break, no miss bball. But over-rated? Give me a break.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Eminence » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 pm

I don't think Finley is even close to Feeney. Finley hasn't been the top on her team the last 2 years so how can she be the top in the State. You can't take one game and compare numbers, it has to do with longevity. Feeney has consistently been the top player for BHS for two years. There are too many Seniors that are the top on their team. Feeney and Privasky were 1st team All-State and Braun was 2nd team All-State and Finley didn't make it last year. I think Collins and Jensen are better on their team.

I don't think it is a racial issue because next year Alli Collins and Shanna Knife will be there. It's about being one of the best 5 seniors in the state in Class A and B not what race you are.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Eminence wrote:I don't think Finley is even close to Feeney. Finley hasn't been the top on her team the last 2 years so how can she be the top in the State. You can't take one game and compare numbers, it has to do with longevity. Feeney has consistently been the top player for BHS for two years. There are too many Seniors that are the top on their team. Feeney and Privasky were 1st team All-State and Braun was 2nd team All-State and Finley didn't make it last year. I think Collins and Jensen are better on their team.

Eminence wrote:I don't think it is a racial issue because next year Alli Collins and Shanna Knife will be there. It's about being one of the best 5 seniors in the state in Class A and B not what race you are.

I agree. Jr College's are good for players to work on their game and get a lot of playing time. She could go and play D-1 or D-2 after that. It's also a good recruit for BSC!.

One minute she is a future D1 or D2 player that is a good recruit for BSC, the next she is not even one of the top two players on her team despite how well she played against Dickinson. One minute, it's all about the senior season, the next it's about who got first team all-state last year. I guess this is getting into some kind of circus. If Finley isn't Miss Basketball, I hope Feeney gets it. It just speaks volumes for the Bis-Man area not to mention the West Region dominance.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Feeney is able to go D-2 right now. Finley is not at that level yet. She is a good recruit for BSC! In 2 years, she will be at the D-1 or D-2 level.

To be Miss Basketball, you have to be the top 5 in the State which includes both A & B. If you are not the top 1, 2 or 3 in Class A you will not be a candidate. Feeney was one of the top 5 last year in Class A so she definetly should be a candidate.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:31 pm

It would be great if we could discuss why certain girls deserve Miss Basketball, rather than discredit others, or bring race into the picture.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Ashley Privrastky should win Miss Basketball. She is the best player in the state, and she was also better as a junior, and im most cases sophomore, that any player in the state as a senior. In my opinion.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:36 pm

balla45 wrote:Ashley Privrastky should win Miss Basketball. She is the best player in the state, and she was also better as a junior, and im most cases sophomore, that any player in the state as a senior. In my opinion.

How many points did Privrastky average this year?

Everybody can give an opinion and support their favorites. I just caution about cutting players down when there is a good chance that you haven't even seen them play this year. If you are generating your opinions based on last year you are not taking into account how far some have progressed and improved since last year.

I think the East will be competitive at the state tournament. I don't know how some can be soooo sure that the West is that much better. Time will tell.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm

Eminence wrote:Feeney is able to go D-2 right now. Finley is not at that level yet. She is a good recruit for BSC! In 2 years, she will be at the D-1 or D-2 level.

To be Miss Basketball, you have to be the top 5 in the State which includes both A & B. If you are not the top 1, 2 or 3 in Class A you will not be a candidate. Feeney was one of the top 5 last year in Class A so she definetly should be a candidate.

Actually the school I go to now is D2 and I know that they put the fullcourt press on Finley and Amundson for her to come play here..however, in some cases players opt to stay closer to home for a few more years. So I guess that would mean she is D2 level. I also know some D1 schools made inquiries about her, so don't for a second say that she is not at that level.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm

EDC wrote:
balla45 wrote:Ashley Privrastky should win Miss Basketball. She is the best player in the state, and she was also better as a junior, and im most cases sophomore, that any player in the state as a senior. In my opinion.

How many points did Privrastky average this year?

Everybody can give an opinion and support their favorites. I just caution about cutting players down when there is a good chance that you haven't even seen them play this year. If you are generating your opinions based on last year you are not taking into account how far some have progressed and improved since last year.

I think the East will be competitive at the state tournament. I don't know how some can be soooo sure that the West is that much better. Time will tell.

I'm not cutting down other players. I am trying to make a point as to how good Privratsky is. I know you have seen her play alot and you know that she is very good. I will have to wait until state to see how far the girls in the EDC have come, but Privratsky would have been the best player in the WDA by far.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 pm

balla45 - Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were cutting people down. I have seen Privatsky play more than 20 times and yes she is very good. As others have said, she just doesn't qualify for Ms Basketball. Also, as others have said, it should be an honor just to be mentioned. Nobody can say for certain who should be named but I hope people keep an open mind. I guess I am the type that has trouble with saying for certain who should get it - I am somewhat informed and I will not lose any sleep over whatever happens.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:31 pm

EDC wrote:balla45 - Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were cutting people down. I have seen Privatsky play more than 20 times and yes she is very good. As others have said, she just doesn't qualify for Ms Basketball. Also, as others have said, it should be an honor just to be mentioned. Nobody can say for certain who should be named but I hope people keep an open mind. I guess I am the type that has trouble with saying for certain who should get it - I am somewhat informed and I will not lose any sleep over whatever happens.

If Privrastky was healthy, I would be very mad if someone else won it. The rest of the players talent levels are very close. Feeney, Finley, Paulson, on and on to about 6 or 7 people, and all of them would be good winners.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbplayer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Feeney and Finley are both excellent ball players! I hear Finley has a lot offers from D1 and D2 schools but hasn't decided yet. I hear BSC is extremely interested but she has not given a verbal commitment to be a part of thier program. i have to wait and see it in the papers or when BSC announces thier signees before i believe anything. On the flip slide if BSC does have the inside track good for them! I would like to see her play in Bismarck for a couple of more years.
bbplayer

Postby ball23 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Marlee Finley is gettin' looks at by D-I and D-II colleges, she's just a lil uncertain of where she wants to go ...

Marlee Finley = Miss Basketball
ball23

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:34 am

ball23 wrote:Marlee Finley is gettin' looks at by D-I and D-II colleges, she's just a lil uncertain of where she wants to go ...

Marlee Finley = Miss Basketball

Q? why would she go juco if she's DI or D2 material?

Feeney better choice for Miss BB

Privatsky is good but her and K Roemmich have both been injured this year......just shouldn't be in the running for the Miss BB
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:46 am

There can be lots of reasons to go the JC route. Two really good years at a JC could get her a much more exciting opportunity than what's being offered at this time by interested D1 or D2 schools.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 am

Is it a requirement that a canidate is going to be playing college basketball? Would it be unheard of that a great player is also a very good student and has been offered exceptional academic scholarships? So they decide to take the academic route and they don't want to play college ball? Afterall these kids are supposed to be high school student athletes. Would that accutually hurt their chances of getting this award?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 am

NDSportsFan wrote:There can be lots of reasons to go the JC route. Two really good years at a JC could get her a much more exciting opportunity than what's being offered at this time by interested D1 or D2 schools.

sorry but I'm not getting that reasoning.......i coached JUCO in Illinois in the 80's, I spoke with plenty of recruits.......a miss bb candidate, DI & DII looks, sorry but I love the JUCO system but I can't see this reasoning......but onward....

in nd, i think miss bb is strictly bb...senior player might be more with student/athlete relationship.....i haven't heard of a miss bb ever not playing college ball somewhere
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 pm

Didn't any of the players from that JUCO get a DI offer that they didn't have prior to enrolling in JUCO? Sometimes those DI offers aren't available because of grades for some people,

Also didn't some players decide that 2 years of college was enough for them to get an education for what they wanted career wise? Perhaps 4 or 5 years of college/basketball is not for every good high school player.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:43 pm

If you didn't get good enough grades in High School, it's very unlikely that you will get them at a JUCO. Most ballers go to a JUCO because they are not ready to compete at the higher levels but with 2 more years of ball, they will be. A few ballers go to a JUCO because they can play right away and at the D-1 and D-2 schools it is hard to get playing time right away. You do risk the chance of an injury and then the baller may never play at the higher level.

Back to Miss Basketball. I still don't think Finley is one of the top 2 or 3 players in Class A. My picks for the Class A would be West - Feeney and East - Paulson or Braun.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:10 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Didn't any of the players from that JUCO get a DI offer that they didn't have prior to enrolling in JUCO? Sometimes those DI offers aren't available because of grades for some people,

Also didn't some players decide that 2 years of college was enough for them to get an education for what they wanted career wise? Perhaps 4 or 5 years of college/basketball is not for every good high school player.

I had 18 players go through my college with the offers to play higher (D1 or D2)......all but 4 were grade issues.....not academically eligible.......the 4 remaining had personal issues that prevented them from going to a DI or DII; I never had a DI or DII candidate come through my JUCO program that was there b/c she was only interested in a two year program.......I personally never saw a player that could play higher choose not to go; maybe things have changed but i can't see choosing a two year if you're considered one of the best players in your state.

Miss BB - What about Kristen Killoran or Jenna Gillet?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

uvmy3gbb1wr - Interesting stuff. How did you handle recruiting at a JUCO and telling the recruit that "you're going DI in two years" or "DII in two years" Wahpeton has a successful two year program but I wonder if recruits get impressed with coaches telling them how good they will be in two years and what level they will be playing. Some girls do but most don't. What types of things did you tell recruits?

I think Alex Feeney is good enough to play DI. But that is only part of it. She is motivated, smart and just has that desire to work on her game and bring it. She will do good at Augustana. Looks like NDSU is looking at Sarah and she brings the same qualities.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Carl08 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:Didn't any of the players from that JUCO get a DI offer that they didn't have prior to enrolling in JUCO? Sometimes those DI offers aren't available because of grades for some people,

I had 18 players go through my college with the offers to play higher (D1 or D2)......all but 4 were grade issues.....not academically eligible.......the 4 remaining had personal issues that prevented them from going to a DI or DII; I never had a DI or DII candidate come through my JUCO program that was there b/c she was only interested in a two year program.......I personally never saw a player that could play higher choose not to go; maybe things have changed but i can't see choosing a two year if you're considered one of the best players in your state.

Miss BB - What about Kristen Killoran or Jenna Gillet?

Don't know much about Gillet...Kristen Killoran is not at the same level the other candidates are. She is a tremendous athlete but not an exceptional ball player. Her numbers come from quickness and steals on defense and driving the lane against 5'9" posts. If she played a decent opponent, I believe it would be very difficult for her to get the shots she does.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls