Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 pm

First off, I am not saying Finley isn't deserving of the award. She is a great ballplayer. Second, I think Mandan has a respected program from my point of view. I think the ones that don't like Mandan will be the loudest ones. Whether they recruited or not, I am not the judge or jury. I have no opinion on the matter. There have been numerous recruiting instances from schools other than Mandan that got less hype (ask Len Stanley how a senior girl from Underwood ended up playing for Washburn; she will even tell you herself she got asked to come there to play.)

How many good native american ball players in this state have won a Mr. Basketball or Miss Basketball award, when theres countless nominees for this award.

Show me of an instance where one got shafted? I can't remember one, but I am old and my memory isn't the same. Only controversial one I can remember is 1991 when Bart Manson got it. Lots of "boo's" in the crowd that night.

Finley is the top candidate throught out the state IMO

That is great and you are completely entitled to your opinion. My appologies for stirring the hornet's nest. I will back out of this post.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:24 pm

If we are going to discuss Miss Basketball issues I suggest we keep the conversation focused on basketball related issues. A message board where all the members are unanimous is not a place to discuss racial issues. You can write a letter to the paper and post your name and where you live by doing so. Or you can post it on your own personal website or blog (they are free), we'll even let you link to it here. Thanks everyone.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby SDHoops » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Baller wrote:Stop making this a racial issue. You think Finley is the best. Great. I do not. I think there are a handful of players better than her, including Feeney and Paulson. That is my opinion. Has nothing to do with race. I do not think FInley is even the best player on her TEAM. I think that Collins is better. No racial issues, just my opinion and I can have one without you calling people on this board racist!!

I wasn't calling people on the board that. Collins and Finley both bring an invaluable amount of talent to the team, but how can you compare them as far as being the best? They play different positions and there numbers have been mirrors of each other the past two seasons. I am not trying to say Finley is the best, I'm saying she is Miss Basketball in North Dakota this year. I am a realistic person and if I didn't think she was it, I wouldn't make a case.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:46 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:Would I be correct to assume the press relies almost entirely on player stats when making their Miss Basketball picks, because they may have not had the opportunity to see all the canidates play?

no
rep

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 am

I think Samantha Baldwin needs to be highly considered for the award, she's about to score her 2,000th Career point on Thursday. She's a huge reason Grafton is where it is right now and for it success this season, she just seems to be a solid basketball player all around to me. If she doesn't win it thats fine, but i hope she's a finalist and gets a chance to win it. Just my humble opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 am

ndfan wrote:I think Samantha Baldwin needs to be highly considered for the award, she's about to score her 2,000th Career point on Thursday. She's a huge reason Grafton is where it is right now and for it success this season, she just seems to be a solid basketball player all around to me. If she doesn't win it thats fine, but i hope she's a finalist and gets a chance to win it. Just my humble opinion.

I agree, i have only gotten to see her a couple of times, but she is definately one of the top players in the state. Probably the most deserving candidate from Class B in my opinion.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbplayer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:18 am

FYI, Marlee Finley had 22 points, 13 rebounds, and 8 steals last night against Dickinson according to the Dickinson Press. Alex Feeney had 20 points and 9 rebounds according to the Bismarck Tribune.
bbplayer

Postby Makotifarmguy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 am

I looked at the NDHSAA website but couldn't find anything. Could someone post the criteria for the selection of Mr. and Ms. Basketball? There has to be a "listing" of the criteria. I am more curious than anything.

Saw Samantha Baldwin play. She is tough and very consistant. I think her Dad coaches or comes from a line of bb players. Someone help me out or correct me if I am wrong.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:I looked at the NDHSAA website but couldn't find anything. Could someone post the criteria for the selection of Mr. and Ms. Basketball? There has to be a "listing" of the criteria. I am more curious than anything.

Saw Samantha Baldwin play. She is tough and very consistant. I think her Dad coaches or comes from a line of bb players. Someone help me out or correct me if I am wrong.

This is a good question for rep or point/center. Since it is a media award, I am not sure how consistent the criteria is. I thought rep said it was the best basketball player that had the best senior year?

I know Sammi's aunt was a great player for grafton in the early 90's
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:43 am

you won't find it on NDHSAA website as it's awarded by ND writers/broadcasters Association....you'll hear Scott Peters and LT read off the criteria before presenting it. basically senior basketball player with the best senior year and explemlifies....ya da ya da...some of the sentences to take into account character etc....
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bawlhogg701 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Finley is very deserving of Miss Basketball. She has great stats on a team that is always in the thick of things throughout the regular season and during tourney time. When compared to other candidates e.g. Feeney, Marlee Finleys numbers are very simliar...not to mention when their teams met they split their head-to-head matchups. Finley also staked her claim on an individual record (3 pointers) as well as team record last season (5th straight state win). So far this year Finley is putting up solid numbers on the #2 ranked team in the state. And, before she moved to Mandan she was All-state class B at Four Winds. With all these nice aspects to her game it would be hard to say she doesn't meet the criteria for Miss Basketball. As far as race goes...that should have nothing to do with the selection. It would be nice though to have a minority Miss Basketball. Hmmm....I can picture it now a African American President and a Native American Miss Basketball. I hope that isn't too much diversity to chew on all at once.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Ali Collins or Shaunna Knife pretty much have a minority Miss Basketball on a lock.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:42 pm

balla45 wrote:Ali Collins or Shaunna Knife pretty much have a minority Miss Basketball on a lock.

I agree they will be good candidates along with houdek and sarah feeney.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bawlhogg701 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:04 pm

balla45 wrote:Ali Collins or Shaunna Knife pretty much have a minority Miss Basketball on a lock.

We'll have to wait until the end of next season and see how little old conservative North Dakota responds. There is alot of undercover haters out there....so it wouldn't be a big shock if neither of these two won Miss Basketball. Until then I'll place my money on the safe bet...Feeney.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 pm

bawlhogg701 wrote:

We'll have to wait until the end of next season and see how little old conservative North Dakota responds. There is alot of undercover haters out there....so it wouldn't be a big shock if neither of these two won Miss Basketball. Until then I'll place my money on the safe bet...Feeney.

so basically...uh...if feeney wins it, north dakota sportscasters and sportswriters are racist? that is a tremendous statement. :roll:
rep

Postby point/center » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm

rep wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:

so basically...uh...if feeney wins it, north dakota sportscasters and sportswriters are racist? that is a tremendous statement. :roll:

ya know rep. i think you finally put a box on the entire topic

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbplayer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:27 pm

All I know is that Ashley Prevosky should not recieve the Miss Basketball award. She was injured early in the season and injuries are a big part of sports. Don't get me wrong, I think Ashley is a good player but is over rated due to having a good state A championship game last year in Fargo. I had the opportunity to watch Ashley play several times last year and I was not too impressed.
bbplayer

Postby baller24 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:12 pm

bbplayer wrote:All I know is that Ashley Prevosky should not recieve the Miss Basketball award. She was injured early in the season and injuries are a big part of sports. Don't get me wrong, I think Ashley is a good player but is over rated due to having a good state A championship game last year in Fargo. I had the opportunity to watch Ashley play several times last year and I was not too impressed.

Privatsky.. overrated? i will have to disagree largely. Great players step it up and have good games against high competition(State Basketball)
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:37 pm

point/center wrote:
rep wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:

I'm not saying that anyone is racist if they don't win it. Morgan Dale and Sarah Feeney and some other class B girls are probably very good. I was trying to have a little fun with this topic.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:51 pm

balla45 wrote:
point/center wrote:
rep wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:

I'm not saying that anyone is racist if they don't win it. Morgan Dale and Sarah Feeney and some other class B girls are probably very good. I was trying to have a little fun with this topic.

fun? nothing fun about racism. go play with tinker toys. leave the racist incite off the board

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:56 pm

point/center wrote:
balla45 wrote:
point/center wrote:
rep wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:

fun? nothing fun about racism. go play with tinker toys. leave the racist incite off the board

You are telling me there is nothing fun about racism. That is a complete joke, realize who you are talking to. I have no racist incite, I said Collins and Knife have the minority Miss Basketball locked up. That is not racist. It is a fact that they are minorities, actually Collins isn't really, but I was simply stating that there are good minority basketball players. I also named good white players so don't try and ever call me a racist.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Lets talk about the basketball merits of each potential Miss Basketball!
dgfsuperfan1

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:06 pm

On the actual topic. Who are the top candidates? I only know for Class A so I will go with:
Alex Feeney - BHS
Lexi Braun - WHS
Marlee Finley - MHS
Jamie Njos?? - WHS
Kylie Messer - SMCHS
Mara Paulson - SHS
Ashley Privratsky - DLHS

This is a deep class with a lot of talent.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm

bbplayer wrote:All I know is that Ashley Prevosky should not recieve the Miss Basketball award. She was injured early in the season and injuries are a big part of sports. Don't get me wrong, I think Ashley is a good player but is over rated due to having a good state A championship game last year in Fargo. I had the opportunity to watch Ashley play several times last year and I was not too impressed.

She didn't even play very well in the Championship game. She was playing on a sprained ankle and was limping on the court. I do not think that she is overrated. I do not think though that she should be Miss Basketball, but to answer the question why should she be considered over Bindas or Roemmich who also got hurt? Because she had already proven that she was the best player in the state and the other two were far from it.
That being said, I think that (in my opinion) people to consider are:

Feeney
Paulson
Baldwin
Finley
Miller
Killoran
in that order
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SDHoops » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:41 pm

Baller wrote:

She didn't even play very well in the Championship game. She was playing on a sprained ankle and was limping on the court. I do not think that she is overrated. I do not think though that she should be Miss Basketball, but to answer the question why should she be considered over Bindas or Roemmich who also got hurt? Because she had already proven that she was the best player in the state and the other two were far from it.
That being said, I think that (in my opinion) people to consider are:

Feeney
Paulson
Baldwin
Finley
Miller
Killoran
in that order

You are a disgrace to girls basketball. Go somewhere else where you KNOW the sport..
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls