Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:56 pm

2000? a little bit of a stretch?

balla45 wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:I like how i put "mrs. basketball"...like she's married or something...lol.

Finley is a very deserving candidate. She has won state. She has about 2000 points for her career. She tied Mandan's record for the most threes in a game. She was a big reason Mandan did good last year. I won't be surprised if Feeney or Paulson get it, but Finley is a great choice. I for one would not be mad at all if Privrastky got it though.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby flyguy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Yea finley is tremendous basketball player and a great canidate for mrs bball.One major downfall to her game is that she isnt the greatest on defense, but thats ok in her case because mandan has a ferocious defense.
flyguy

Postby SDHoops » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:07 am

[quote[b]="hoop_fan1"]2000? a little bit of a stretch?

balla45 wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:I like how i put "mrs. basketball"...like she's married or something...lol.

Finley is a very deserving candidate. She has won state. She has about 2000 points for her career. She tied Mandan's record for the most threes in a game. She was a big reason Mandan did good last year. I won't be surprised if Feeney or Paulson get it, but Finley is a great choice. I for one would not be mad at all if Privrastky got it though.
[/quote]
2000 is not a stretch. She averaged 23 ppg as a freshman, 26 as a sophomore, 10.5 as a junior, 13 as an 8th grader. If there are about 20 regular season plus post-season games, do the math.
Last edited by SDHoops on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby SDHoops » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 am

flyguy wrote:Yea finley is tremendous basketball player and a great canidate for mrs bball.One major downfall to her game is that she isnt the greatest on defense, but thats ok in her case because mandan has a ferocious defense.

She is among the top of the WDA in steals and leads the team in defensive rebounding. Statiscally speaking, she is one of the best defenders Mandan has.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:28 am

IMHO Feeney or Finley should get the senior athlete award, but if Ms. Basketball is based on career then Ashley Privatsky has earned it. We all know who the best girl's basketball player is in the state and that is Ashley P. Her stats are tremendous and she is staying in the state so we can continue to support her.

Hopefully you all don't blast me too much, like I said it is just my humble opinion. I just think this girl has earned the award whether she is hurt or not.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:57 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:IMHO Feeney or Finley should get the senior athlete award, but if Ms. Basketball is based on career then Ashley Privatsky has earned it. We all know who the best girl's basketball player is in the state and that is Ashley P. Her stats are tremendous and she is staying in the state so we can continue to support her.

Hopefully you all don't blast me too much, like I said it is just my humble opinion. I just think this girl has earned the award whether she is hurt or not.

I completely agree with you, but there is a lot of confusion as to whether Miss Basketball is a career award or a senior year award. Many people will tell you it is the best basketball player that had the best senior year. Even though I think Ashley SHOULD get it. I think that Feeney WILL get it.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Baller wrote:
Makotifarmguy wrote:IMHO Feeney or Finley should get the senior athlete award, but if Ms. Basketball is based on career then Ashley Privatsky has earned it. We all know who the best girl's basketball player is in the state and that is Ashley P. Her stats are tremendous and she is staying in the state so we can continue to support her.

I completely agree with you, but there is a lot of confusion as to whether Miss Basketball is a career award or a senior year award. Many people will tell you it is the best basketball player that had the best senior year. Even though I think Ashley SHOULD get it. I think that Feeney WILL get it.

I may be wrong but doesnt some states pick the Miss/Mr Basketball as the best player in the state. Not just the best senior?? ex - didnt Labron James win Mr Basketball both his Jr and Sr year?.... as far as ND is concerned I think they have always picked the best Senior, not best Career... I remember when Juno Pintar won it from North, he didnt even play varsity very much as a Jr, and if any of you remember Tyron Terry had a great State tournament and he won, so Who knows
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:21 pm

I looked back at some of the old posts on Privatsky and even some of her old stats. She sounds more like a darling of the state and an emotional player. What I mean is she is North Dakota's "Rudy" in a sense. She has shot the lights out of a few gyms and even had fans on the edge of their seats hoping for an upset of Mandan in last year's state tournament. There is no question that she is a player and will be a great get for UND.

Alex Feeney and Marlee Finley should be the top Miss Basketball candidates from the "A" ranks, I do not know that much about Class B. Interestingly enough, Feeney and Finley both had 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists in the last match-up between Mandan and Bismarck. That is the head to head match up. However, Marlee played less minutes and her team won the game.

Here are my top five reasons that Marlee will get overlooked:

1. She is not a darling of the state
2. She plays for Mandan, the most hated team in the state
3. She is Native
4. She transferred schools after her sophomore year
5. She is not going to a D1 school

Here are my top five reasons that Marlee should be Miss Basketball:

1. She is a McDonald's All-American nominee
2. She is a three-time all-stater (I think she is a shoe-in for this year)
3. She plays the game with passion
4. She is a state champion, something no other Class A school has been for five years
5. She has the stats, the career, and the stellar senior season
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby roughrider125 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:56 pm

SDHoops - okay we get it you think Finley should get Miss Basketball. Feeney, Finley, Paulson, and Privratsky are all very deserving candidates in my opinion. Yes, Privratsky is very well liked...she is an extremely nice girl who comes from an extremely nice basketball family. People feel for her because of her injury but they won't vote for her because she is nice or because they feel bad for her - she was/is the best player in the state game in and game out. Now because she is injured the next best will get the award which I think i agree with but i would not be upset if Privratsky gets it (cause she is the best)...Feeney and Finley have similar stats and have played each other so people could compare the two. Paulson has better stats but she has not played the level of teams that Mandan and Bismarck has. They are all similar players, tall, athletic, good shooters, good ball handlers. The clear superiority you (SDHoops) give Finley I do not see...and I have seen them all play this year. I will say this...I am offended that you so underestimate the people that vote for Miss Basketball that you feel they will not vote for one candidate over the other because she is Native American or because she plays for a certain team. Even the college she goes to (DI versus juco) should not and I don't believe will affect the decision - but there is usually a reason someone goes DI (Privratsky) and others (the rest of the state) don't.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:14 pm

if AP gets props for Miss bb based on previous years and this years injury, then so should Bindas from Kindred and Roemmich from Bottineau.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby roughrider125 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:44 pm

yes but in my opinion they are not as good as Finley, Feeney, or Paulson - maybe Roemmich I haven't seen her...I doubt she is as good as Privratsky...I'm not saying she will get it or even should get it but I wouldn't be upset if she did
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:47 pm

i dont disagree with your assesment of Finley,Feeney etc. My point is that I just don't feel it's fair to say AP deserves to be nominated based on her soph/junior year. Bindas and Roemmich are injured too.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:02 pm

scc wrote:It's a senior award, so all that should matter is what happened during the senior season.

exactly. that's why there's no way AP should even be on the radar. i dont think bindas and roemmich should be considered, just using their situation to illustrate how flawed the sentiment of having AP as a miss bb candidate is.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 am

by scc on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:46 pm

It's a senior award, so all that should matter is what happened during the senior season.

So why give a Ms. Basketball award AND a senior athlete award?? Doesn't make sense to me I guess.

I understand each school giving a senior athlete award, but why give one at the state level when you already give the Ms. Basketball award out?

Sorry to hijack the thread, just curious why.

3. She is Native

1. A darling of the state? What is that?
2. There are bunch of people in this state that respect Mandan
3. That is being racist IMHO and nothing to do with her ability to play basketball
4. Only because of the controversy surrounding her move. Her brother plays one place, she plays at another. Interesting that her former coach (and relative) at Four Winns announced his move right after she transferred. It is interesting how much Coach Brady moves around the state coaching and it seems that he leaves everytime that particular town has a weak team. Finley knew they were going to be a weaker team the following year after loosing in the regionals while at Four Winns.
5. Travis Mertens was Mr. Basketball and went juco. Plenty of others as well.

Finley deserves to be one of the candidates. Whether she deserves the award, I guess I can't say. I think Feeney has a little edge on her, but there is no reason she shouldn't be on the list. She is a great player and hopefully she is staying in the state so we can watch more of her. I just think your reasoning is a little off.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:52 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:

It's a senior award, so all that should matter is what happened during the senior season.

So why give a Ms. Basketball award AND a senior athlete award?? Doesn't make sense to me I guess.

Miss Basketball is the Press Award and the coaches vote on the senior of the year...at least that's my understanding.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 am

Point/Center and Rep,
How come the press votes for mr/miss basketball and the coaches vote Mr. Hockey. Also, why no mr. football, just senior athlete of the year. Is there a mr/miss soccer, miss volleyball??
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 am

I pretty sure there's a miss soccer because I remember reading about Andrea LaFrance getting it last year. She was like miss soccer/all-state, miss basketball finalist/all-state and I think volleyball all-state.

As far as the other awards go, I think the press started giving out mr/ms basketball around '85 and the NDHSAA must have felt a little left out so they created all those other awards like senior POY etc some years later.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:14 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:

I understand each school giving a senior athlete award, but why give one at the state level when you already give the Ms. Basketball award out?

3. She is Native

3. That is being racist IMHO and nothing to do with her ability to play basketball
4. Only because of the controversy surrounding her move. Her brother plays one place, she plays at another. Interesting that her former coach (and relative) at Four Winns announced his move right after she transferred. It is interesting how much Coach Brady moves around the state coaching and it seems that he leaves everytime that particular town has a weak team. Finley knew they were going to be a weaker team the following year after loosing in the regionals while at Four Winns.

Finley deserves to be one of the candidates. Whether she deserves the award, I guess I can't say. I think Feeney has a little edge on her, but there is no reason she shouldn't be on the list. She is a great player and hopefully she is staying in the state so we can watch more of her. I just think your reasoning is a little off.

A "darling" is a term that is best used on the East Coast. They are players who are loved and adored by fans because they are the "ideal" daughters of the people, so to speak. Usually these are your typical blonde hair, blue eyed girls. Second, people respect Mandan? Wow I guess the signs that people held up about recruiting and all the comments on the Bismarck Tribune online, not to mention the topics on ND Preps that people wrote about Mandan. I hope someone does those things to me so I know I am highly respected :)
I go to college with a Native girl who said a college coach told her while recruiting her, "You know the deal, your from a "rez" and I can't offer you much of a scholarship." There are prejudiced people in sports! Some of you are the same people who don't think there is anything wrong with the Fighting Sioux name..give me a break.
Numbers don't lie..state championships don't lie..careers don't lie...senior seasons don't lie..everything says Finley is Miss Basketball...I guess if Mandan wins another state championship and she still doesn't get it then...it would just be too obvious
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:18 pm

Stop making this a racial issue. You think Finley is the best. Great. I do not. I think there are a handful of players better than her, including Feeney and Paulson. That is my opinion. Has nothing to do with race. I do not think FInley is even the best player on her TEAM. I think that Collins is better. No racial issues, just my opinion and I can have one without you calling people on this board racist!!
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Baller wrote:Stop making this a racial issue. You think Finley is the best. Great. I do not. I think there are a handful of players better than her, including Feeney and Paulson. That is my opinion. Has nothing to do with race. I do not think FInley is even the best player on her TEAM. I think that Collins is better. No racial issues, just my opinion and I can have one without you calling people on this board racist!!

I'm so with you baller. Why can people be called racist for thinking someone other than Finley desreves Miss BB? SDhoops is racist for not thinking Paulson should be Miss BB. i get so tired of being called racist. we're not basing our decision on race. evidently sdh is. and that is racist.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:32 pm

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, Miss/Mr Basketball is chosen by the press. While the senior of the year is chosen by the coaches?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, Miss/Mr Basketball is chosen by the press. While the senior of the year is chosen by the coaches?

yes

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I think it comes down to Feeney and then others. She has the name and is the best player on the best team so unless BHS melts in WDA or State I think she wins.

Anytime you try and pick the "best" its a subjective process and if people don't agree it doesn't mean they're racist. You try to use quantitative comparisons like stats to base it off of but even that is subjective. Is Braun's 20 ppg/9.1rpg better than Feeney's 16ppg/8.6rpg where Braun is the only option on her team? Or what about Killoran from MV, I'm sure she's putting up 25+. The point I'm trying to make is there are many deserving candidates and if one girl or another doesn't win it they should be proud to be considered. Only 1 can win.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Would I be correct to assume the press relies almost entirely on player stats when making their Miss Basketball picks, because they may have not had the opportunity to see all the canidates play?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby ball23 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:

3. She is Native4. She transferred schools after her sophomore year

I hate to say it but that'll be a big factor...How many good native american ball players in this state have won a Mr. Basketball or Miss Basketball award, when theres countless nominees for this award. Finley is the top candidate throught out the state IMO
ball23

PreviousNext

Return to Girls