Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Miss Basketball

Postby bballfan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:19 pm

Going into the second half of the season who are the frontrunners?
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:39 pm

I am going with A Feeney and Paulson. I was ready to hand it to Privratsky, now voters are going to have some decisions to make. Who do we have from Class B...Roemmich, Baldwin, Christine Miller?(havent heard much about her this year), Killoran?, Gran? Braun is putting up big numbers at Wahp, but just doesnt have the players around her.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:53 pm

Bobbi Grann is only a junior.....
project-pat

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 pm

project-pat wrote:Bobbi Grann is only a junior.....

I guess she is out then.... :oops:
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby oneNdone » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:21 am

i wouldnt be surprised if ashley still didnt win miss basketball or atleast a runner up from the east. she is an amazing ball player. it is a shame that her injury happened to her, but if she wasnt hurt you all know she would still be the best. she is the most deserving player for it, and even if she is injured i think she still should win it.
oneNdone

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:31 am

oneNdone wrote:i wouldnt be surprised if ashley still didnt win miss basketball or atleast a runner up from the east. she is an amazing ball player. it is a shame that her injury happened to her, but if she wasnt hurt you all know she would still be the best. she is the most deserving player for it, and even if she is injured i think she still should win it.

I do hope that they at least make her a finalist...I too think she would have won it hands down, but that is why they play out the season
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 am

oneNdone wrote:i wouldnt be surprised if ashley still didnt win miss basketball or atleast a runner up from the east. she is an amazing ball player. it is a shame that her injury happened to her, but if she wasnt hurt you all know she would still be the best. she is the most deserving player for it, and even if she is injured i think she still should win it.

Isn't the Miss Basketball award based on the senior season, not career? I'm not sure on this but if it is, then I don't think it is fair to other seniors who had a very good season watch as a person who didn't play at all accepts their award. Now I know Ashley and she is a great player, but for her to win a season award over someone else just wouldn't be fair.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:22 am

DeuceTrey wrote:

Isn't the Miss Basketball award based on the senior season, not career? I'm not sure on this but if it is, then I don't think it is fair to other seniors who had a very good season watch as a person who didn't play at all accepts their award. Now I know Ashley and she is a great player, but for her to win a season award over someone else just wouldn't be fair.

Thanks for saying that DeuceTrey and I agree. I would remind posters that the kids read the posts and be at least a little sensitive to that.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:27 am

EDC wrote:
DeuceTrey wrote:

Thanks for saying that DeuceTrey and I agree. I would remind posters that the kids read the posts and be at least a little sensitive to that.

I agree and I it based mostly on their senior season, but I am pretty sure they take the career into account. For that reason, I hope she is made a finalist (they can have as many as they want), but you are right, I think someone who has a great senior season should get it.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportfan2007 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 am

I think it used to be career based award, but in recent years they seem to be taking into account their senior year.

Don't they give out a senior athlete award as well for both class A and class B ??
Last edited by sportfan2007 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Do they take into consideration how a players team did? Sometimes a players individual stats don't reflect the total quality of what they contribute to a dood team as a 'team" player or leader.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:31 pm

I am not sure of all of the specifics....Maybe REP can clear some things up for us.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Baller wrote:I am not sure of all of the specifics....Maybe REP can clear some things up for us.

scc is 100 percent correct.
rep

Postby baller24 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:44 pm

How about Messer from St Marys? she is averaging like 17 and 13 a night, although she is on a team which is struggling to find a win, she could be a candidate possibly.. yes, no, what do you guys think?
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:28 pm

baller24 wrote:How about Messer from St Marys? she is averaging like 17 and 13 a night, although she is on a team which is struggling to find a win, she could be a candidate possibly.. yes, no, what do you guys think?

I think Messer is a very good player and played very well on the ECI team this summer, but I just don't see her being up their unless SM can find a few wins.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:59 pm

It is difficult to compare individual players from a winning team and those from a losing team. Most winning teams are winning teams because they have balanced scoring. If you get a big lead your playing time is reduced. You get more attention if you are from a winning team. If you are from a losing team you get less attention but you are asked to take more shots and many times points are scored against the opposition reserves. If you are trying to do a comparison you might have to add a few points to the winning team player and subtract a few from the losing team player. Make sense??
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:11 pm

Does North Dakota have a "pre season all state" team. I heard a player being described as such. If so, who was on it and how were they named? Thanks
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:28 pm

EDC wrote:Does North Dakota have a "pre season all state" team. I heard a player being described as such. If so, who was on it and how were they named? Thanks

The only thing I can think of is the hoopster players to watch...I dont think there is a preseason all state though.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:04 am

In my mind, Privratsky was a lock until she blew her knee. Its a wide open field now.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby SDHoops » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Marlee Finley is the literal Miss Basketball but as far as politics go, I don't know if the voters will see it that way. She has a chance to do what no other candidates have done and that is win back-to-back state championships. A two-time all-stater at Four Winds and made the rare successful transition to a nationally ranked high school team to still score in double digits and tie a school record for most threes in a game as a junior, wow! Put her on any other team in the state and she would make things happen.

She may not be commited to a D1 or 2 school like the others but if the award is going to talent, then she is it. Her best games have come against big wins over Jamestown and Bismarck High. She also played well in the Gillette Energy Classic until she got injured in the semis. You bring in five professional talent scouts who have no previous knowledge of any of the ND players from this year and put all the Miss Basketball candidates together on a court and you would be hard pressed to find any that would come out and not say Marlee is the best of the best. You can't forget her teammates though, they have all contributed to the team's success.

Like I said, the voters will likely choose someone else for this award, I just have the gut feeling. But don't forget this player when you watch her. She is the Diana Taurasi of her time in North Dakota.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby bawlhogg701 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:25 pm

I really enjoy watching Mandan's team this year...What I've seen is how skilled Finley is in all aspects of the game. She has a great combination of excellent shooting ability, ball handling, and passing…plus size. She is what many coaches consider a match-up nightmare. Another attribute that doesn’t show up in the stat book is Finley’s on-court demeanor, she always looks so composed out on the court, never flustered or panicked. Smooth, rare turnovers or forced shots…great numbers, great team, Mrs. Basketball.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby bawlhogg701 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:54 pm

I like how i put "mrs. basketball"...like she's married or something...lol.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:23 pm

bawlhogg701 wrote:I like how i put "mrs. basketball"...like she's married or something...lol.

Finley is a very deserving candidate. She has won state. She has about 2000 points for her career. She tied Mandan's record for the most threes in a game. She was a big reason Mandan did good last year. I won't be surprised if Feeney or Paulson get it, but Finley is a great choice. I for one would not be mad at all if Privrastky got it though.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby flyguy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:59 am

balla45 wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:I like how i put "mrs. basketball"...like she's married or something...lol.

Finley is a very deserving candidate. She has won state. She has about 2000 points for her career. She tied Mandan's record for the most threes in a game. She was a big reason Mandan did good last year. I won't be surprised if Feeney or Paulson get it, but Finley is a great choice. I for one would not be mad at all if Privrastky got it though.

Yea finley is tremendous basketball player and a great canidate for mrs bball.One major downfall to her game is that she isnt the greatest on defense, but thats ok in her case because mandan has a struggle a ferocious defense.
flyguy

Postby Carl08 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:52 am

Yea finley is tremendous basketball player and a great canidate for mrs bball.One major downfall to her game is that she isnt the greatest on defense, but thats ok in her case because mandan has a aren't cool a ferocious defense.[/quote]

what?
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls