Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 am

Gillet is a very good post player - committed to UND. She has great post moves - her favorite seems to be a reverse pivot/drop-step to the basket. But I don't think she is worthy of a Miss Basketball nomination. At least not from the games I've seen her play, which is only in the District 3 tournament.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby just_wondering08 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:55 am

Maybe Finley wants to ensure playing time on a JUCO court to work on her game. I know she has a lot of options/offers, and whatever she decides is up to her, so we can speculate all we want, but only she knows what she wants. Finley is an honor student, so I know her grades aren't the issue. As for me, any players who are nominated for the MBB award are deserving and I am not about to cut someone's daughter down just because I have a different opinion. All these girls have worked hard all of their lives to get where they are and I hope they don't read this blog because some of the comments on here can be so vicious and demeaning. I hope the girls realize that most of these insensitive comments are probably made by some bitter highschool kids who never played the game themselves. Besides we all know that these "individual" awards are political in nature and subjected to endless debate, whereas a "State Championship" award is something that can never taken away. Message to all players: you know you're mentally tough, so take these comments with a grain of salt. Keep the good comments and throw the bad ones out the window, because you wouldn't be where you are today if you listened to all the "trash talk" that comes your way. Good luck to all of you!
just_wondering08

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Makotifarmguy & baller,

Sammi's aunts & dad all played for Valley-Saint Thomas in the 80's and 90's.
Sammi's dad is a current volunteer assistant coach for Grafton, this is what
I was told, he decided to volunteer when Sammi transferred.

As far as Miss Basketball nominations, I think she is a deserving candidate, although she probably will not even get nominated. She has not signed at a DII school or any place for that matter, which seems to skyrocket your stock value with the voters. She has not played at a state tourney, etc. All you can go by is her stats. The 2,000pt club is the main thing she has going for her, but how much merit does that carry with Class A voters?

Killoran has the stats, can't argue that! If she had more help, it might have served her better for more people to see what she can do.

If Privatsky had played this year, this would be an easy decision. But I think it needs to go to a current player!

I have seen seen limited class A ball this year, so I can't say I know a lot, but there seems to be some quality players to choose from at the class A level (Finley or Feeney). Whoever gets it will be fine with me. I am a class B fan, but I have to agree it is a special instance when a class B player deserves the nod.

Baller wrote:
Makotifarmguy wrote:I looked at the NDHSAA website but couldn't find anything. Could someone post the criteria for the selection of Mr. and Ms. Basketball? There has to be a "listing" of the criteria. I am more curious than anything.

Saw Samantha Baldwin play. She is tough and very consistant. I think her Dad coaches or comes from a line of bb players. Someone help me out or correct me if I am wrong.

This is a good question for rep or point/center. Since it is a media award, I am not sure how consistent the criteria is. I thought rep said it was the best basketball player that had the best senior year?

I know Sammi's aunt was a great player for grafton in the early 90's
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hawks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 am

What is not talked much is this an award for this year or career achievements?
Some Class B names missed include:
Bearstail
Bittner (this year only from what I have seen)
Gillette

Should team success be vital to winner of this award?
Hawks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:55 pm

shilohskyhawk wrote:What is not talked much is this an award for this year or career achievements?
Some Class B names missed include:
Bearstail
Bittner (this year only from what I have seen)
Gillette

Should team success be vital to winner of this award?

don't think so, young lady from Sheridan County.....rebecca feickert; team never won anything.....
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thabasics » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:07 pm

I think Shaunna Knife.....No Doubt About It....she already has D1 Colleges after her....
thabasics

Postby Eminence » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Shauna Knife is a Junior. I do see her and Collins next year being candidates but they'll have to wait.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballqueen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:33 pm

When do we know who's on the Miss basketball list? I know they announce it at class A basketball. But when do we find out who's the Candidates.
JOHN 3:16
bballqueen
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

bballqueen wrote:When do we know who's on the Miss basketball list? I know they announce it at class A basketball. But when do we find out who's the Candidates.

I think it comes out tonight
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demon_fan14 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 pm

i like feeney or marley to win it
demon_fan14

Postby Hawks » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Here is the list as I have heard it to be released tonight:

Feeney-MHS
Finley - BHS
Samantha Baldwin - Grafton
Jenna Gillett -
Kylee Bittner- Hebron
Christine Miller -new town
Samantha Schmidt - FCT

How can Bearstail not be one of the 5 class b players she took her team to state and put up huge numbers all season in a tough region? Garbage!!!
Hawks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Bs if Paulson from Shanley is not on the list.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby baller24 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 pm

How can ther ebe 5 class b players and only 2 class a players when ther ewas obviously way better talent at the class a level this year? nothing against class b but it is the truth
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:24 pm

I am dissappointed to not see Mara Paulson on this list. I think that she has had a great career and a wonderful senior season. On the whole though, this is a good list. I like Feeney or Balwin to win it.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:28 am

The media made a mistake not having Paulson on the list.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bbplayer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:39 am

The media should have also included Bearstail from Shilo.
bbplayer

Postby rep » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 pm

because there should be more than 7 candidates for miss basketball? it's rediculous to have that many in my opinion.

but that is what happens when the top senior girl in class a and class b (when they were juniors anyway) are injured and you are left looking at the rest of the players and trying to decide who is the top out of them.
rep

Postby upnext » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Shiloh get real ---tough region are you kidding me?? It was probably one of the weakest regions in the state.. Bearstail is good but you have to be great----How many pts would she score for BHS--kinda tough when she wouldnt find the floor....lets get real here before we want to nominate someone
upnext
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:56 am

Eminence wrote:Shauna Knife is a Junior. I do see her and Collins next year being candidates but they'll have to wait.

i think we have all learned not to predict what happens next year by what happend this year with privratsky...last year at this time i would have bet anyone 1000 dollars that she would win miss bball this year but sometimes bad things happen to good people so you never know whats gonna happen
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby demon_fan14 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:57 pm

squeak63 wrote:
Eminence wrote:Shauna Knife is a Junior. I do see her and Collins next year being candidates but they'll have to wait.

i think we have all learned not to predict what happens next year by what happend this year with privratsky...last year at this time i would have bet anyone 1000 dollars that she would win miss bball this year but sometimes bad things happen to good people so you never know whats gonna happen

ya thats true......but if collins stays healthy she should win it hands down next year........i think she could be the best player this year
demon_fan14

Postby momster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:46 am

How did Bittner from GUH get nominated? What a joke.

c'mon why do you need to say that????
momster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:04 am

Congratulations to Christine Miller! The NDAPSSA must have seen something in a Class B player that they liked because they voted her first place in a landslide. I watched the class A game last night and saw Feeney and Finley go head-to-head. They are both impressive but nothing that puts them heads and tails above anyone else IMO. I did see Privatsky several times and in that case I did notice something special. That's a whole different topic, so I will stop right there.

Here is the AP article on the Miss Basketball Award:

New Town's Miller honored as Miss Basketball
Associated Press
Published Sunday, March 09, 2008

BISMARCK — Christine Miller’s pursuit of the North Dakota Miss Basketball Award didn’t happen by chance.

“Coach asked me last year what my goals were going to be for this season,” the New Town senior said. “I said I wanted to be Miss Basketball. That was something I was going to go after.”

On Saturday, Miller became New Town’s first winner of the award that the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association gives annually to the state’s top senior.

This year’s other finalists were Samantha Schmit of Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah, Jenna Gillett of Dakota Prairie, Samantha Baldwin of Grafton, Kylee Bittner of Hebron-Glen Ullin, Alex Feeney of Bismarck High and Marlee Finley of Mandan.

Miller received seven first-place votes and finished with 40 total points. Feeney had two first-place votes and 19 points. Also receiving first-place votes and 14 points were Finley and Baldwin.

Bittner received 5 points, Schmitt 4 and Gillett 3.

Miller had two double-doubles to lead New Town past Bismarck Shiloh Christian in the fifth-place game at the state Class B basketball tournament. With Miller leading the way, New Town finished the season 23-5. This season, Miller averaged 19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 3 steals and 3 assists.

Schmit averaged 17 points, 11 rebound, 4.5 blocked shots and 3.5 steals.

Gillett averaged 19 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Baldwin averaged 17 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists.

Bittner was the leading scorer among finalists, averaging 22 points, 6.5 rebounds and 6 assists.

Feeney led Bismarck into the state Class A championship game by averaging 16 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2 assists. There she met up with Finley, who averaged 15 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals in leading the Braves to their sixth consecutive state title.

Miller, who is planning to play college basketball but is unsure where, said it is impossible to win such an award without the help of other people.

“Just like you can’t win a basketball game without teamwork,” she said.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 am

I have a problem with the miss basketball award maybe some one can explain it to me. Why is Class A and Class B together, it is ridiculous these 2 classes are totally different and to have only two Class A girls on it is repulsive. These 2 different classes do not even see each other in a year and dont play the same competition.I feel that if a Class A canidate was to play a Class B schedule their stats would be alot better than what thy are because in Class B alot of the times these girls are playing underclassmen such as seventh or eighth graders.Why don't the state give out 2 different awards, heck I will even pay for the second one.
People say that the award is givin out for the senior season but it is not, the media looks at the career that is why A classB girl wins it every year. Well if i started playing High School ball in the seventh grade my stas too would be scoring 2 thousand points. I have nothing against Class B players they to are great players but that would be like combining the NFL with the CFL in chosing the MVP.It needs to be SEPERATED.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:20 pm

That's a good point! Why not have a Class A and a Class B Miss Basketball? It is true that the competition level is different. You see a lot of Class A Sophmore and JV teams playing Class B and a majority of the time the Class A wins. There are a lot of good Class B players but I think it is comparing an apple to an orange. It has been a long time since a Class B player won the award and they should have one every year and so should Class A.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bawlhogg701 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Congrats Miller. She had an awesome high school basketball career...as did all the candidates. I admit being a Mandan Braves fan I was a pulling for Finley but...oh well all she got was another STATE TITLE BABY!! What was up with them having the 3 nominees for senior athlete of the year step out and then awarding co-senior athletes of the year and leaving Finley hanging like that...stupid.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls