Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby WildWarrior » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:33 pm

grlsbballfan wrote:I have a problem with the miss basketball award maybe some one can explain it to me. Why is Class A and Class B together, it is ridiculous these 2 classes are totally different and to have only two Class A girls on it is repulsive. These 2 different classes do not even see each other in a year and dont play the same competition.I feel that if a Class A canidate was to play a Class B schedule their stats would be alot better than what thy are because in Class B alot of the times these girls are playing underclassmen such as seventh or eighth graders.Why don't the state give out 2 different awards, heck I will even pay for the second one.
People say that the award is givin out for the senior season but it is not, the media looks at the career that is why A classB girl wins it every year. Well if i started playing High School ball in the seventh grade my stas too would be scoring 2 thousand points. I have nothing against Class B players they to are great players but that would be like combining the NFL with the CFL in chosing the MVP.It needs to be SEPERATED.

Thats why there is a class A senior Athlete and a Class B Senior Athlete. Each get their own. Miss Basketball is awarded by the press and is simply the top player (in the press' opinion) in any class. Sorry had to cover myself up from any criticism there.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:08 pm

So I guess a person would rather be nominated for SOY rather than miss basketball,being SOY is voted by coaches rather than media.I still don't understand how the media can justify voting for both classes when the two don't play against each other. Enough of that. All girls nominated are all great athletes and best of luck to all the senior players.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:17 pm

scc wrote:
grlsbballfan wrote:So I guess a person would rather be nominated for SOY rather than miss basketball,being SOY is voted by coaches rather than media.I still don't understand how the media can justify voting for both classes when the two don't play against each other. Enough of that. All girls nominated are all great athletes and best of luck to all the senior players.

Name a state that has a Mr. & MIss Basketball award for each classification.

I don't know of any state that does that being i am from North Dakota
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:32 pm

In regards to CD's comment about Feeney snubbing the other candidates and Finley congradulationg them:

Feeney had just lost the Championship Game. Finley won. Remember these are just kids and it's hard to be gracious when you lost to the same team 3 times and you were expected to be #1. Congrats to Mandan and BHS for a GREAT season.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:09 pm

The Class B players who get nominated for Miss Basketball or the All-State teams are not considered good because of inflated stats from playing 7th and 8th graders. Unfortunately, many outstanding players have to play on teams where the team depth is weak, so they will lose to bigger schools for that reason, but the talent in Class B is high. This year especially has been very strong for Class B (as many colleges have also recognized) for individual players, but fortunately teams like Mandan and Bottineau showed how this is a team sport.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cd » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:17 pm

To Eminence:

We all need to get over it and not go into a depression because of the loss or fouling out at the game. I realize that Bismarck was supposed to be # 1 and Mandan was supposed to not have much but some how or another, Mandan seems to come forth. This was one year that I questioned whether Mandan would do it again as they didn't have the chemistry/personality to do it at the beginning of the year.

Good Luck next year, Braves and Demons
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbplayer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Glad to see Ms. Christine Miller win the Miss N.D. Basketball Award! She deserved it and I would like to wish the other candidates who are also deserving as well. Remember, only one can win the award, again congratuations Christine!
bbplayer

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:19 pm

cd wrote:To Eminence:

We all need to get over it and not go into a depression because of the loss or fouling out at the game. I realize that Bismarck was supposed to be # 1 and Mandan was supposed to not have much but some how or another, Mandan seems to come forth. This was one year that I questioned whether Mandan would do it again as they didn't have the chemistry/personality to do it at the beginning of the year.

Good Luck next year, Braves and Demons

I guess, I never questioned whether Mandan would be there. I figured they would. They have one of the best coaches in Girls Basketball history and I figured that by the end, they would be there.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:38 pm

don't you think that if the award looked at a players' career, that privratsky and roemmich would have been in the conversation?

the award is based on senior season.

some people prefer miss basketball, some people prefer the coach's award. there are pros and cons to each in my opinion. pretty much like anything else.
rep

Postby SDHoops » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:26 pm

I for one am glad that Miller won it. She made history by becoming the first Native American to win the state's Miss Basketball award in North Dakota, MAYBE even in the whole nation. You look at a lot of the all-time Native American greats in US history like Rynaldi Bicenti and SuAnne Big Crow, etc. They never won Miss Basketball so that is why this is such a big deal. Also, if I understood it correctly, Finley was either last in voting or second to last. I hope all of my discussion on here from earlier about Finley and Miss Basketball are justified. The newspaper and the people on the radio had nothing but good things to say about her yet she still didn't get respect. Congrats to Christine and to Marlee for your OUTSTANDING sportsmanship girls and for respecting your opponents. Even in losses you still held your heads high and didn't cry unlike some other poor sports (cough cough Feeneys). Good luck in all you do!
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:52 pm

SDHoops wrote:I for one am glad that Miller won it. She made history by becoming the first Native American to win the state's Miss Basketball award in North Dakota, MAYBE even in the whole nation. You look at a lot of the all-time Native American greats in US history like Rynaldi Bicenti and SuAnne Big Crow, etc. They never won Miss Basketball so that is why this is such a big deal. Also, if I understood it correctly, Finley was either last in voting or second to last. I hope all of my discussion on here from earlier about Finley and Miss Basketball are justified. The newspaper and the people on the radio had nothing but good things to say about her yet she still didn't get respect. Congrats to Christine and to Marlee for your OUTSTANDING sportsmanship girls and for respecting your opponents. Even in losses you still held your heads high and didn't cry unlike some other poor sports (cough cough Feeneys). Good luck in all you do!

Finely was tied for 3rd with Baldwin where each recieved 1 first place vote and 14 pts.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:44 pm

SDHoops wrote:I for one am glad that Miller won it. She made history by becoming the first Native American to win the state's Miss Basketball award in North Dakota, MAYBE even in the whole nation. You look at a lot of the all-time Native American greats in US history like Rynaldi Bicenti and SuAnne Big Crow, etc. They never won Miss Basketball so that is why this is such a big deal. Also, if I understood it correctly, Finley was either last in voting or second to last. I hope all of my discussion on here from earlier about Finley and Miss Basketball are justified. The newspaper and the people on the radio had nothing but good things to say about her yet she still didn't get respect. Congrats to Christine and to Marlee for your OUTSTANDING sportsmanship girls and for respecting your opponents. Even in losses you still held your heads high and didn't cry unlike some other poor sports (cough cough Feeneys). Good luck in all you do!

Just because the Feeney girls were crying does not show in any way of bad sportsmanship.These kids left it all on the line and to come up short I think was very disappointing to them and there emotions got the best of them.
For thew people that think that sara f. pushed away the the mandan players hand she did not. I agree it did not look very good to not grab the mandan players hand, but remember she is a KID. Everything she was doing wasn't workingso I think she was very upset and let her emotions get the best of her.In the heat of the moment she just wanted to win, and if she could do it again she would have grabbed the hand of the mandan player for help.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby MHSfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 am

Give me a break buddy. Once Feeney fouled out it hit her that it was the last time for her on the court playing high school basketball, EVER! I can tell you one thing, there was also a couple guys in that tournament that shed a couple tears after they got taken out or after they won or lost, it's called emotions, everyone has them except you I guess. :P
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls