Running up scores?

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Running up scores?

Postby cd » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:23 am

I read with amazement about Mandan High running up scores and people criticizing them because they play well and therefore can score. What do we think about Bismarck High running up the score against St. Marys? This is proof of another good team that is able to score well - lets see how much criticism they get, huh!
cd
NDPreps Starter

Re: Running up scores?

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 am

"running up the score" is outdated with the shot clock. yes, pre shot clock there was no reason for teams to drop 100 on another team, but now you have to shoot the ball every 30 seconds. you still have to play the game and try to get shots up, and if you are way better than another team, the 102-35 or whatever it was is going to be the result. teams with big leads cant say well, lets pass it 10 times before we shoot it or something like that, they need to try and score or its a violation.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 am

I saw the score. What are the details? How long did the starters play? How long did Bismarck press? Did Bismarck fast break the entire game? Bismarck is very good - hopefully they have some class. Need to know more details.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:42 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:"running up the score" is outdated with the shot clock. yes, pre shot clock there was no reason for teams to drop 100 on another team, but now you have to shoot the ball every 30 seconds. you still have to play the game and try to get shots up, and if you are way better than another team, the 102-35 or whatever it was is going to be the result. teams with big leads cant say well, lets pass it 10 times before we shoot it or something like that, they need to try and score or its a violation.

I agree... the only thing that would need to be looked at is how long the starters played, if Steve put the JV team in for most of the second half then NO it was not running up the score but if the starters played alot in the second half then shame on them. I know the JV girls already played their game and the varsity girls need minutes but when the game is out of hand like it was, then call off the dogs.. The Shot clock does play a major role in our game, the good teams will beat the bad teams by larger margins because of it. There has already been scores over 100 in Class A boys too.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:15 pm

EDC wrote:I saw the score. What are the details? How long did the starters play? How long did Bismarck press? Did Bismarck fast break the entire game? Bismarck is very good - hopefully they have some class. Need to know more details.

I got to the game with about 10 minutes left and the JV was in the entire time and was playing half court defense.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:05 pm

balla45 wrote:
EDC wrote:I saw the score. What are the details? How long did the starters play? How long did Bismarck press? Did Bismarck fast break the entire game? Bismarck is very good - hopefully they have some class. Need to know more details.

I got to the game with about 10 minutes left and the JV was in the entire time and was playing half court defense.

Thanks Balla45. It is interesting the reactions people have depending which team won by a bunch. Last year with the almost exact same score Devils Lake beat Valley City. That game created an uproar because (I still don't know what is true) DL was accused of keeping some starters in late. Glad to hear Bismarck did not do this.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:57 am

The Bismarck Tribune said the bench played a total of 81 minutes and scored 30 points. If you have 5 players for 36 minutes it would equal a total of 180 minutes. Remnich was hurt 6 minutes into the game so one bench player you could subtract 30 minutes. 81 - 30 = 61 minutes. 60/180 is about a 1/3 of the game.

Devils Lake was also critisized last year for running up the score against Valley City. If you are a Varsity Team who is getting beat, you want to still play against the best to get better. Mandan was also critisized last year.

Both teams can still work on things even if the score is lopsided. People need to stop feeling sorry for the team who is getting whooped. BHS, DL , Mandan and Messer from ST Mary's played hard in the off season, maybe some of the other players needed to do the same. :oops:
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby trackbbfan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:28 am

I had heard Messer also fouled out with about 10-11 minutes to go in the game. I think St Mary's scored a total of 4 or 5 points after she fouled out.
trackbbfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:34 pm

trackbbfan wrote:I had heard Messer also fouled out with about 10-11 minutes to go in the game. I think St Mary's scored a total of 4 or 5 points after she fouled out.

I like Messer. I think she will do well at University of Mary. It could be a frustrating year for her if she doesn't get any help. To be successful in Class A, you need more than just 1 player to step up.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 am

I know this is an A forum, but here's an example for the B side......watched a game last year Kindred vs Richland.......Kindred's starters played the entire game, and the coach had them full court press the entire game.....up by 30 and a team is doing that...that is running a score up.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsmart » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:10 am

It's not the coaches job to slow his team down. I thought that was the opposing teams job. Stop crying about scores being run up on teams. Maybe the teams need to figure out how to stop them.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:32 am

cd wrote:I read with amazement about Mandan High running up scores and people criticizing them because they play well and therefore can score. What do we think about Bismarck High running up the score against St. Marys? This is proof of another good team that is able to score well - lets see how much criticism they get, huh!

Whenever there's an artcle in the Tribune on the Mandan girls you can be guaranteed that there'll be a lot of bashing in the comments to follow. It happens every time. I call it the Yankee syndrome. If you're not a fan you hate them, why? because they win... and this really irks some of the Bismarck folks.

And some people just seem complain to complain or else they really don't know what's goin on. Here's a partial quote from a poster on the last article after Century's game

...when you are ahead by 12 at the half, you can call off the whole court press...and they don't do that...that is what I call disrespect...plain and simple!!! "
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:34 am

sportsmart wrote:It's not the coaches job to slow his team down. I thought that was the opposing teams job. Stop crying about scores being run up on teams. Maybe the teams need to figure out how to stop them.

Yes, it most certainly IS the job of the coach to slow the team down when a win is assured. It's called sportsmanship. We must teach sportsmanship at the high school level. Let the pros run it up. Not high-schoolers.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby football101 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:40 pm

I've been coaching a long time, been on both sides of a blowout. If I was up big, I played my starters the first half and a few minutes of the third. It didn't matter what the score was. The starters practice all week and they deserve to play. After the starters were out, I would have my second team play the same as the starters. If my team was a pressing in your face defensive team, my second team is going to press and by in your face. It's varsity sports people. Coaches should get their kids ready to play.
football101
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:41 pm

Hinsa wrote:
sportsmart wrote:It's not the coaches job to slow his team down. I thought that was the opposing teams job. Stop crying about scores being run up on teams. Maybe the teams need to figure out how to stop them.

Yes, it most certainly IS the job of the coach to slow the team down when a win is assured. It's called sportsmanship. We must teach sportsmanship at the high school level. Let the pros run it up. Not high-schoolers.

might as well just take the ball out of bounds and throw it straight to the other team and give thema few layups to get back in the game. if they leave the starters in i call that running up the score, but if the end of the bench is in and still scoring im fine with that. you cant tell the kids to not run the offense..you gotta remember that these kids are playing for time too and not just to finish the game so the starters dont get hurt. if they get a steal, run. if they get 2 passes and a layup, good job. the team has to still play...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Deuce wrote:
cd wrote:I read with amazement about Mandan High running up scores and people criticizing them because they play well and therefore can score. What do we think about Bismarck High running up the score against St. Marys? This is proof of another good team that is able to score well - lets see how much criticism they get, huh!

Whenever there's an artcle in the Tribune on the Mandan girls you can be guaranteed that there'll be a lot of bashing in the comments to follow. It happens every time. I call it the Yankee syndrome. If you're not a fan you hate them, why? because they win... and this really irks some of the Bismarck folks.

And some people just seem complain to complain or else they really don't know what's goin on. Here's a partial quote from a poster on the last article after Century's game

...when you are ahead by 12 at the half, you can call off the whole court press...and they don't do that...that is what I call disrespect...plain and simple!!! "

Your right, a team was complaining about Mandan last year but then it was ok when they did the same thing to a Montana team. DON'T BE A HYPOCRITE! My opinion is, "if you step out on the court, you play hard no matter what the score is". That's sports, no matter what level you are on.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:05 am

baseball wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

might as well just take the ball out of bounds and throw it straight to the other team and give thema few layups to get back in the game. if they leave the starters in i call that running up the score, but if the end of the bench is in and still scoring im fine with that. you cant tell the kids to not run the offense..you gotta remember that these kids are playing for time too and not just to finish the game so the starters dont get hurt. if they get a steal, run. if they get 2 passes and a layup, good job. the team has to still play...

I agree with you baseball. Leaving the starters in is running it up. Continuing to press is running it up. Having the second string play hard is NOT running it up. I completely agree with you. :D
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOOD OF THE TEAM » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:38 am

If I was playing on a team which was getting blown out, it would be more embarrassing for me if the other team was NOT playing hard and NOT trying to score.
GOOD OF THE TEAM

Postby EDC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Hinsa wrote:
baseball wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

I agree with you baseball. Leaving the starters in is running it up. Continuing to press is running it up. Having the second string play hard is NOT running it up. I completely agree with you. :D

Well said!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:41 pm

EDC wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
baseball wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Well said!

I agree. Last week I watched the FSH vs Wahpeton game. FSH won by 88 to 48 but they could have easily scored well over 100. The FSH coach took their press off early. He was deep into his bench before the end of the first half, and had three freshmen girls playing the last six minutes of the game. Also, as a game note Braun got most of her points when FSH had their second stringers so the Wahpeton coach was not throwing the towel in either. The Huskies worked very hard and did give up during the game.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:52 pm

Deuce wrote:

12 at the half is running it up????? 12 points can be erased in 90 seconds...i dont know if any of you watched the Oregon-Oakland game saturday night but Oregon was down 39-26 with 19:46 left in the game and with 14:45 left they were up 46-39, 20-0 run in less then 5 minutes....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:34 pm

baseball wrote:
Deuce wrote:

12 at the half is running it up????? 12 points can be erased in 90 seconds...i dont know if any of you watched the Oregon-Oakland game saturday night but Oregon was down 39-26 with 19:46 left in the game and with 14:45 left they were up 46-39, 20-0 run in less then 5 minutes....

12 isn't really a comfortable lead these days....I say go up 20 and call off the dogs.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:42 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
EDC wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
baseball wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Well said!

I agree. Last week I watched the FSH vs Wahpeton game. FSH won by 88 to 48 but they could have easily scored well over 100. The FSH coach took their press off early. He was deep into his bench before the end of the first half, and had three freshmen girls playing the last six minutes of the game. Also, as a game note Braun got most of her points when FSH had their second stringers so the Wahpeton coach was not throwing the towel in either. The Huskies worked very hard and did give up during the game.

Absolutely correct on this. FSH had a 15 point lead at one time against Jamestown but still lost the game. So when do you "call the dogs off"?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby GoAus8 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:16 pm

football101 wrote:I've been coaching a long time, been on both sides of a blowout. If I was up big, I played my starters the first half and a few minutes of the third. It didn't matter what the score was. The starters practice all week and they deserve to play. After the starters were out, I would have my second team play the same as the starters. If my team was a pressing in your face defensive team, my second team is going to press and by in your face. It's varsity sports people. Coaches should get their kids ready to play.

O really what about the valley game where you kept your starters in to score 100 points
GoAus8
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:42 pm

When i played and it was a blow out our coach would always leave 1-2 starters in and play 3-4 bench players. the reason for the 1-2 starters was just so the team had some sort of leadership/organization in the game. you have to look what the starters do if they are in late too...if they are in there playing as a coach on the floor and not looking to score whenever possible. im also fine with that. i aslo thought it was always like an "unwritten" rule that if one team puts in the 2nd string in a blow, so does the other team. i just hate when people complain about the score being run up yet they have their starters in late in the 4th. if i were a coach and you had your starters in late..i would see no problem with having mine in.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls