Running up scores?

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Running up scores?

Postby Hinsa » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:47 pm

So if you are beating the tar out of someone, if they don't cry uncle first you keep beating the tar out of them?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:51 pm

if i put by bench in and they keep their starters in after that i wouldnt see a problem putting them back in.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

I have to comment on this simply because of the fact that Mandan has been accused of doing this alot.

If you were a starter on a team that was up by 20 or so points, don't you think you should be allowed to play some during the last 10 or so minutes of the second half? I know if I was a senior playing on a team that blew everyone out, and I played about 13 minutes in the first half (I think this is about average for a senior starter on a dominant team) and then my coach only let me play 5 minutes in the second half because our team was dominant, I would have a problem with that.

Even from a coach's perspective, if I have some people who deserve to play say, 25 minutes a game, and I'm not going to play them for the first entire first half, they deserve to play for most of the second half. The jv team has already played their game, and I don't think it is fair to give them 10 minutes of the varsity game, so people on the other team feel good. The players on varsity have earned their 25 minutes or whatever, and the jv players shouldn't be getting 47 minutes a night, they should get 36 minutes of the jv game, and the varsity should get 36 minutes of the varsity game.

Agree or disagree???
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm

balla45 wrote:I have to comment on this simply because of the fact that Mandan has been accused of doing this alot.

If you were a starter on a team that was up by 20 or so points, don't you think you should be allowed to play some during the last 10 or so minutes of the second half? I know if I was a senior playing on a team that blew everyone out, and I played about 13 minutes in the first half (I think this is about average for a senior starter on a dominant team) and then my coach only let me play 5 minutes in the second half because our team was dominant, I would have a problem with that.

Even from a coach's perspective, if I have some people who deserve to play say, 25 minutes a game, and I'm not going to play them for the first entire first half, they deserve to play for most of the second half. The jv team has already played their game, and I don't think it is fair to give them 10 minutes of the varsity game, so people on the other team feel good. The players on varsity have earned their 25 minutes or whatever, and the jv players shouldn't be getting 47 minutes a night, they should get 36 minutes of the jv game, and the varsity should get 36 minutes of the varsity game.

Agree or disagree???

Agree 100 percent...and i came from a school with no winning tradition...the players who earned the right to play should get their time. I was on the bad end of alot of blowouts. I didn't have any resentment towards the other coach for playing his starters...we simply needed to work harder.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby tellmeaboutit » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:22 pm

I played back in the late 80s, early 90s when the Milnor Bison used to blow out almost everyone. Milnor's Coach Popp said that he had to keep his starters in games to keep them in "game shape" come tournament time. He wasn't running up the score, he was preparing the girls for the post season. Its not fun to be on the wrong end of a butt kicking, but I had to agree with Coach Popp's philosophy.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls