2007-2008 ND Hoopster Preseason Girls A Poll

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2007-2008 ND Hoopster Preseason Girls A Poll

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:56 pm

The Hoopster 20007-2008 Preseason Class A Poll is out;
1. Mandan
2. Bismarck High
3. Fargo South
4. Shanley
5. Grand Forks Red River

Any comments? Any suprises?
dgfsuperfan1

Re: 2007-2008 ND Hoopster Preseason Girls A Poll

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:01 pm

I would put Jamestown in the mix ahead of Red River. My personal opinion is that Bismarck should be better than Mandan, but until you beat the champs, they're still top dog - with Bismarck and Mandan it's all mental - Bismarck doesn't believe they can beat Mandan - thats pretty hard to overcome. But regardless, those two are clearly the 2 best teams in the state. I agree with South as the top east team - they'll have a good mix of returning players and quality newcomers - still not sure where Shanley will fit in, we'll see how they do without Schuler as their "bail out" player. The east is weak again this year though.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:25 pm

[quote="EastGuruWannabe"]I would put Jamestown in the mix ahead of Red River.

I agree! Jamestown will be very good in the WDA, Minot will be competitive also... in the east I would not count out Devils Lake. But Shanley and South have the two best teams on paper.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:31 am

I was suprised Red River is in the top five. Also, at the beginning of the season I would put Shanley ahead of South. They are going to be starting five seniors who have been around each other for years. Also, I saw Jackson play this summer and she is going to be better than a lot of people think. Plus, Carew has improved her outside shooting because she will need that at St Cloud. I acutally think Shanleys biggest weakness will be their bench after the sixth player. They had a poor jv team last year.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Red River got a 6' 1" transfer that looks pretty athletic on the volleyball court. With that addition RR will be pretty tough. South will always be good. They probably have a top five EDC team that doesn't even go out for basketball. Give Shanley some credit for going up against these big schools. Shanley will always lack depth. Bismarck looks really good and they are very competitive. I think this is the year they beat Mandan. I have never seen these two play against each other. Bismarck must just freeze up? Century is always good also.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:06 pm

EDC wrote:Red River got a 6' 1" transfer that looks pretty athletic on the volleyball court. With that addition RR will be pretty tough. South will always be good. They probably have a top five EDC team that doesn't even go out for basketball. Give Shanley some credit for going up against these big schools. Shanley will always lack depth. Bismarck looks really good and they are very competitive. I think this is the year they beat Mandan. I have never seen these two play against each other. Bismarck must just freeze up? Century is always good also.

Any more information on the transfer to Red River? What year and how much playing experience? Where is she from?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:12 pm

EDC wrote:Red River got a 6' 1" transfer that looks pretty athletic on the volleyball court. With that addition RR will be pretty tough. South will always be good. They probably have a top five EDC team that doesn't even go out for basketball. Give Shanley some credit for going up against these big schools. Shanley will always lack depth. Bismarck looks really good and they are very competitive. I think this is the year they beat Mandan. I have never seen these two play against each other. Bismarck must just freeze up? Century is always good also.

According to FSH's website, they play Bismarck High and Bismarch Century their first and second games of the season in Bismarck.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bruins44 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:39 pm

[quote="EDC"] South will always be good. They probably have a top five EDC team that doesn't even go out for basketball.

Who are you talking about?? there is NOT one girl walking the halls of South that would play in front of the girls playing now.... Why because South has 1600 students?? for you to say they have a top 5 EDC team of players that dont go out for basketball is just plain wrong and a stupid statement!! They are a top team every year because they have a great program.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:04 pm

I heard the West Fargo is only going to have 17 girls come out 10-12. How sad??

Also heard that a lot of Souths good Sophs aren't playing and Shanley doesn't have a enough players to have a freshman team.

You would think that these schools would have more than enough girls to make enough teams.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Baller wrote:I heard the West Fargo is only going to have 17 girls come out 10-12. How sad??

Also heard that a lot of Souths good Sophs aren't playing and Shanley doesn't have a enough players to have a freshman team.

You would think that these schools would have more than enough girls to make enough teams.

Travel ball is killing teams numbers... if a girl does not play on THE travel team in their grade they quit!! I know at South the freshman class only had one travel team... (a very good one) but the other girls dont want to play because they know they are not as good. As far as Souths GOOD sophs not going out, they must not care or be dedicated enough, or maybe they see the handwriting on the wall and see that the freshman are much better and will beat them out as Jrs and Srs... just my opinion.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:52 pm

bruins44 wrote:
EDC wrote: South will always be good. They probably have a top five EDC team that doesn't even go out for basketball.

Who are you talking about?? there is NOT one girl walking the halls of South that would play in front of the girls playing now.... Why because South has 1600 students?? for you to say they have a top 5 EDC team of players that dont go out for basketball is just plain wrong and a stupid statement!! They are a top team every year because they have a great program.

Of course South has a great program. I didn't mean to imply that. Are you saying that once Fargo adds a third high school (mostly splitting South into two schools) that both schools will not be good? I think they will be good. Do I think you could take South girls not playing school ball this year at South and make a good team (top 5 finish in the EDC) yes I do. How can you not with that many kids? There is so much talent there that many don't have the chance to play. You have to be good AND work hard at South to make it. I have a lot of respect for those who make it and keep at it.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:15 am

So your saying that South could take an "ALL GYM CLASS" team and finish in the top 5 of the EDC, what a laugh.... just because your a big school doesnt mean you have huge numbers of girls that can play basketball, I know for a fact that South has not had to cut very many players over the years, and if there is so much talent walking the halls dont you think the coaches would try to get those girls out for the sport.
as far as when South splits into two schools, South High as we now know it now will not be competitive for a long time... most of the good athletes in all of Souths programs live in what will become the new HS boundries, the students going to Carl Ben will become South High athletes, the demographics will be totally different. Wait and see, Fargo South will not be competing for EDC titles in most sports in 2011-12 and beyond and the NEW school will take over as the dominant Fargo School, which is too bad because of the great tradition South High has had in all sports.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:10 pm

I don't think it will be that bad.....my aunt worked for Fargo South for 30 years.....she always said some of the best players were walking the halls......because of no name recognition. I think you're overreacting.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:29 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:I don't think it will be that bad.....my aunt worked for Fargo South for 30 years.....she always said some of the best players were walking the halls......because of no name recognition. I think you're overreacting.

She doesn't know what it takes to be part of a varsity athletic team then. I can pretty much guarantee that the best basketball players at South are actually playing basketball. It takes dedication, committment, discipline, etc to play varsity sports - girls who aren't willing to do that are the ones walking the halls not on a team. what the heck does "no name recognition" mean?!
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:38 pm

I believe they are accusing the coaches of only playing their favorites anyway, so why even go out.

A common accusation for many generations everywhere.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Carl08 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:27 pm

I think what EDC means is that if Shanley can have a team that contends for the EDC title, South could make at least two. If one out of every 10 girls is an athlete, South has got a lot of athletes, they just didn't go out for basketball-hence, they are walking the halls.
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:11 pm

bruins44 wrote:
Baller wrote:I heard the West Fargo is only going to have 17 girls come out 10-12. How sad??

Travel ball is killing teams numbers... if a girl does not play on THE travel team in their grade they quit!! I know at South the freshman class only had one travel team... (a very good one) but the other girls dont want to play because they know they are not as good. As far as Souths GOOD sophs not going out, they must not care or be dedicated enough, or maybe they see the handwriting on the wall and see that the freshman are much better and will beat them out as Jrs and Srs... just my opinion.

Not suprising re Shanley. Several times South has had their Soph team play Shanley's JV, because Shanley often does not field a Soph team. This has happened against Wahpeton too.

I have heard that many South girls are picking volleyball over basketball as their first sport.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:I don't think it will be that bad.....my aunt worked for Fargo South for 30 years.....she always said some of the best players were walking the halls......because of no name recognition. I think you're overreacting.

She doesn't know what it takes to be part of a varsity athletic team then. I can pretty much guarantee that the best basketball players at South are actually playing basketball. It takes dedication, committment, discipline, etc to play varsity sports - girls who aren't willing to do that are the ones walking the halls not on a team. what the heck does "no name recognition" mean?!

I see many times over.......I've been a part of hs and college athletics for close to 35 years.....watched it happen repeatedly......tried to prevent it many times.......when your head coach tells you that this certain kid will be starting for him when the kid is a freshman and the kid is only a 4th grader.....when a kid can be the best all around pick for the team yet gets cut b/c the coach says i'll cut him cuz no one will care but people will notice if this guy's kid is cut.....yeah, it happens everywhere......you can have all the talent, attitude, hard work, everything, and still not make it.......and you're naive to think it doesn't......
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:26 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
EastGuruWannabe wrote:

I see many times over.......I've been a part of hs and college athletics for close to 35 years.....watched it happen repeatedly......tried to prevent it many times.......when your head coach tells you that this certain kid will be starting for him when the kid is a freshman and the kid is only a 4th grader.....when a kid can be the best all around pick for the team yet gets cut b/c the coach says i'll cut him cuz no one will care but people will notice if this guy's kid is cut.....yeah, it happens everywhere......you can have all the talent, attitude, hard work, everything, and still not make it.......and you're naive to think it doesn't......

This may be true if you have 2 average players and both put in the same amount of time. However, the child that loves to play a sport will work at it and it will show. The coaches will notice! When they don't notice, is the child who never attends an open gym, then thinks they can show up during the season only and then complains why they haven't been picked. I have yet to see a child who gave it their all by playing all year round and didn't make the team....

We need to give our coaches some credit! They wouldn't have a job very long if they did that.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm

I wasn’t implying anything about favoritism by saying I think a school with 1600 kids should be able to field two good bb teams. South Fargo had two very good eighth grade teams a few years back(currently sophomores at South) I recall watching one of them being very impressed and then being told that the other 8th grade team was even better. Some (one?) of these girls played varsity last year but there were a bunch of good players on these teams. What happened to all those girls? For one reason or another some dropped out ( walking the halls). Once there are two schools some of these will stick to it and be successful. As West Fargo enrollment increases it is becoming the dominant Fargo school and more so when South is split in two. To be successful the athletes need to be committed and work hard. A larger school just has more kids that want to be successful. This isn’t putting anybody down – just the reality.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:44 pm

[quote="EDC"] South Fargo had two very good eighth grade teams a few years back(currently sophomores at South) I recall watching one of them being very impressed and then being told that the other 8th grade team was even better. Some (one?) of these girls played varsity last year but there were a bunch of good players on these teams. What happened to all those girls?

I have seen many 8th grade girls and boys that looked like they were going to be great when they got to HS, and never panned out! lots of things happen between Middle school and HS, examples - jobs, cars, parties, boys, girls, burnout, start hanging around the wrong crowd.... you never know! If our coaches judged our High School teams on what they look like in Junior High they would make alot of mistakes.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roughrider125 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:53 pm

bruins44 wrote:
EDC wrote: South Fargo had two very good eighth grade teams a few years back(currently sophomores at South) I recall watching one of them being very impressed and then being told that the other 8th grade team was even better. Some (one?) of these girls played varsity last year but there were a bunch of good players on these teams. What happened to all those girls?

I have seen many 8th grade girls and boys that looked like they were going to be great when they got to HS, and never panned out! lots of things happen between Middle school and HS, examples - jobs, cars, parties, boys, girls, burnout, start hanging around the wrong crowd.... you never know! If our coaches judged our High School teams on what they look like in Junior High they would make alot of mistakes.

you are completely missing the point EDC is making, and EDC is right, statistically South and WF should have 3x as many good ball players as Shanley...but they don't cause you can only have so many girls on a team
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 am

Bismarck has not had the play from their guards to compete with Mandan. Last year their TOs in 3 games were 37, 35 and 30. Century played Mandan strong because they had the guards to handle the pressure to go with the posts inside. With another year under them maybe the BHS guards will have better success but if they have upwards of 30 TOs again, I think Mandan will beat them. Mandan's game will depend on pressure dfense and shooting %. They'll probably be a lot like DL's team from last year.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vballfan06 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:58 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

Any more information on the transfer to Red River? What year and how much playing experience? Where is she from?

She transferred from Velva. Good athlete....physical. I wouldn't expect her to put up big offensive numbers, but willing to be a garbage player---and rebound.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby DWeigs » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 pm

vballfan06 wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

She transferred from Velva. Good athlete....physical. I wouldn't expect her to put up big offensive numbers, but willing to be a garbage player---and rebound.

Although Red River did get a good transfer they also lost a great player that has already proven herself which is very key. Vanessa Riske transfered to GFC yesterday. She was an All Conference Player last year as a sophomore. So an addition to GFC could make them a stronger team as well...
http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.co ... awards.htm
DWeigs

Next

Return to Girls