Underclassmen

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:11 am

Anyone have some freshman and Sophs that will see Varsity time?

South has Burck obviously and Meghan Roerich (fr) played with them this summer.

North has Wixo and Teschendorf (sp)

"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:15 am

Buck for Century had a lot of playing time on varsity last year.  She will be one of their main players this year.  She should be good.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:51 pm

Shanley has a good 9th grade point guard that i predict will be playing at least jv this season, and will probably work her way into varsity minutes by seasons end, but i always forget her name - sara something or sophie something?????
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:31 pm

youre right...sophie something

Steph Mertens will see time by the end of the year for DL too
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby DWeigs » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Haley Labahn will see a lot of varsity time this year as a sophomore. She was able to play a lot last year as the back up point. She is not afraid to take it to the hole. Which is rare as a younger player.
DWeigs

Postby Carl08 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Someone said Sophie Kenney already but how about the entire Freshman class at Shanley.  They won the freshman tournament last year as eight graders and there are a few of them that may see the varsity floor this year.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Yeah...and they should have improved a lot since they got to play two seasons...bush league
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Carl08 wrote:Someone said Sophie Kenney already but how about the entire Freshman class at Shanley.  They won the freshman tournament last year as eight graders and there are a few of them that may see the varsity floor this year.

I'm not trying to dis any of the other players from that grade, but their point guard made that team.  Nearly every positive thing that happened over the course of the games were set up by her.  If you have one really good guard, the rest of the players tend to look a little better than maybe they really are.  They are good though, don't get me wrong, but I don't know about moving up and getting varsity minutes.  Winning the freshman tournament is always a little misleading anyway - South always splits into 2 teams, and the rest of the EDC teams all have their good ninth graders moved up to soph/jv/varsity teams
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:50 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Carl08 wrote:Someone said Sophie Kenney already but how about the entire Freshman class at Shanley.  They won the freshman tournament last year as eight graders and there are a few of them that may see the varsity floor this year.

I'm not trying to dis any of the other players from that grade, but their point guard made that team.  Nearly every positive thing that happened over the course of the games were set up by her.  If you have one really good guard, the rest of the players tend to look a little better than maybe they really are.  They are good though, don't get me wrong, but I don't know about moving up and getting varsity minutes.  Winning the freshman tournament is always a little misleading anyway - South always splits into 2 teams, and the rest of the EDC teams all have their good ninth graders moved up to soph/jv/varsity teams

I don't know how much you have watched that team play but Sophie Kenney is probabley not even the best player on the team.  Nicole Carew, Sadie Rivard, and Sarah Storant are all excellent players...and yes they will be the first ones off the bench other than maybe one or two juniors.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:07 pm

bballfan1 wrote:
EastGuruWannabe wrote:

I don't know how much you have watched that team play but Sophie Kenney is probabley not even the best player on the team.  Nicole Carew, Sadie Rivard, and Sarah Storant are all excellent players...and yes they will be the first ones off the bench other than maybe one or two juniors.

we'll see, you may be right.  lets see how the season goes and see if any of those girls get into games.  its obviously just my opinion, but i stand by it.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Re: Underclassmen

Postby grlballer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Flacksbarth, Wixo, and Teschendorf should all see some varsity time along with some freshmen
grlballer

Postby Baller » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:35 pm

grlballer wrote:Flacksbarth, Wixo, and Teschendorf should all see some varsity time along with some freshmen

Considering they played last year...its not a matter of should but a matter of they will see extensive varstiy time
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re:

Postby EDC » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Baller wrote:Yeah...and they should have improved a lot since they got to play two seasons...bush league

Sounds like some are a little scared about freshmen (last year 8th graders). What kind of comment is this? There are North Dakota athletic regulations to follow. Are you saying that Shanley violated the rules? Please explain!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Re:

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:15 am

EDC wrote:
Baller wrote:Yeah...and they should have improved a lot since they got to play two seasons...bush league

Sounds like some are a little scared about freshmen (last year 8th graders). What kind of comment is this? There are North Dakota athletic regulations to follow. Are you saying that Shanley violated the rules? Please explain!

I am saying that the 8th graders played a 8th grade schedule and shanley did not have a soph team until christmas when the 8th grade league was done. then the freshman team played the soph schedule and the 8th graders played the rest of the freshman schedule. i could care less about playing freshman, but it is crap that the team played 2 seasons. All the rest of the schools would have improved too if they took the best 8th graders and played them on the freshman team halfway through the season, but most coaches have ethics.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:49 am

Baller wrote:
EDC wrote:

I am saying that the 8th graders played a 8th grade schedule and shanley did not have a soph team until christmas when the 8th grade league was done. then the freshman team played the soph schedule and the 8th graders played the rest of the freshman schedule. i could care less about playing freshman, but it is crap that the team played 2 seasons. All the rest of the schools would have improved too if they took the best 8th graders and played them on the freshman team halfway through the season, but most coaches have ethics.

Mandan girls did that when I was in junior high, does that in turn make Amunson unethical?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:38 am

balla45 wrote:
Baller wrote:
EDC wrote:

Mandan girls did that when I was in junior high, does that in turn make Amunson unethical?

yes!!
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:47 am

The girls at the 7th and 8th grade levels play traveling ball as soon as the school ball ends so I don't see any advantage was gained. What you are saying is no rule was broken but it was not ethical. Sounds a little petty to me.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:13 pm

No, baller is totally right - what shanley did last year with those girls was total junk. if you want to play 8th grade ball, fine...if you want to have your kids move up and play in the 9th grade league, fine...but to have them play both is not right. it has nothing to do with travelling ball, that is not regulated by the ndhsaa, but school ball is. shanley technically did not break any rules - they made the cutoff by one day - but they certainly broke the spirit of the rule - each season has x number of days and x number of games athletes can play in and since the rule only talks about high school athletes, those 8th grade games didn't count to the total number of games played. anyway, regardless of the exact rule, it was junk for shanley to do it. we'll see how it works out for them in the long run. nice ethical decision making at the catholic school.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:08 pm

How can it be considered unethical when it follows the rules and is an option that all the other schools are given?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Carl08 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Shanley can thank the intelligent and hardworking (note the sarcasm) Dale Hammerschmit for that decision- it was nobody's fault but his and he has since been run out of shanley
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:06 pm

It was a Jacobson decision...but yes Hammerschmidt blew it when he okayed it.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:05 pm

I didn't realize that there were so many people following Shanley basketball There are rules about 8th graders playing varsity bb. I guess I don't know what the rules are about this situation but it I'll take your word for it that Shanley followed them. This forum is a place where you can state your OPINION but please don't make it sound like you are an authority on the subject. How could you guys know all the details to this? I enjoy and respect most comments here including these - just think this is much ado about nothing. I wonder though how much of the opposition to this is that these 8th graders won the 9th grade tournament. Just settle down and try to remember we are talking about 8th graders!! Why are people so scared of this Shanley class?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BallaTE » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Madi Buck of Century is very good. She got good playing time last year as a FR and should see alot more court time this year as a SO. I hear Montana State is already recruiting her.
BallaTE

Postby grlballer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:16 pm

Is North going to be as bad as everyone thinks? They will be young but they got talent- what are your thoughts?
grlballer

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:18 pm

grlballer wrote:Is North going to be as bad as everyone thinks? They will be young but they got talent- what are your thoughts?

They need a coach that has higher expectations....he doesn't think they will win so they won't. But you are right. With Larson and the three sophs that saw time as freshman last year, they should at least be better.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Girls