2007 - 2008 TOP DOGS

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2007 - 2008 TOP DOGS

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Eminence wrote:
EDC wrote:Interesting. Some discussion questions. Would you rather have a post bring up the ball against another post or always have a guard bring the ball up against another guard? If you had to choose, would you rather have a great ballhandling guard or a smart heads up guard that wasn’t quite as good with the ballhandling?

The reason the big post don't work is as soon as they start dribbling, the double team comes and they loose the ball. More times than a weaker guard.

The ideal is to have a great ball handler with a smart head. If you go thru your legs a million times and go no where, are you are great ball handler? I think not. On the other hand, if you can't use your left hand but can see the floor, Can you really get the ball to that person? Probably not. Teams will prey on the guards weakness.

To choose, hum...... I would always choose mental toughness over natural ability! It is easier to teach a skill than to teach a player mental toughness.

You hit the nail on the head when you say using the left hand. It is rare in EDC girls ball that you have a guard that can use her left hand and even rarer to find a post that will. If you they cant use their left hand they will get beat by a good boxing press.
dgfsuperfan1

Re:

Postby oneNdone » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:21 pm

roughrider125 wrote:I've played on teams with Anstadt, Molbert, Stroup, Paulson, Jackson, and Carew.  Carew and Paulson are the best athletes of the bunch.  Stroup used to be right behind them but she had a though year last year and Flaagan played her less and less as the year went on so she will have to get her confidence back up.. Anstadt never used to be anything special but in the last couple years she has come on strong, she doesn't shy away from contact but I don't think she has the quickness of the Shanley posts.  Molbert has not played much varsity so experience will come into play with her.  Jackson has the experience but she will need to learn how to take total control of a gome without other players to help her out.    Head-to-head my money is on Shanley but you never know

What happened to getting facts straight?

1. WHEN have you ever played on a team with South girls. As a former Bruin, I do not remember any GF girls playing with us.
2. Stroup STARTED for Flaagan. Burck and her started in the Varisty games after the third season game against Moorhead. Stroup is also the highest scorer for south returning. Did her confidence make her miss all those shots?
4. Anstadt will be one of the most deadliest posts in the East. She is tall like the Shanley girls, but she can actually run the floor. And for Carew and Paulson, just because you're tall doesn't make you an athlete.
oneNdone

Re: Re:

Postby roughrider125 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:04 am

oneNdone wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:I've played on teams with Anstadt, Molbert, Stroup, Paulson, Jackson, and Carew.  Carew and Paulson are the best athletes of the bunch.  Stroup used to be right behind them but she had a though year last year and Flaagan played her less and less as the year went on so she will have to get her confidence back up.. Anstadt never used to be anything special but in the last couple years she has come on strong, she doesn't shy away from contact but I don't think she has the quickness of the Shanley posts.  Molbert has not played much varsity so experience will come into play with her.  Jackson has the experience but she will need to learn how to take total control of a gome without other players to help her out.    Head-to-head my money is on Shanley but you never know

1. WHEN have you ever played on a team with South girls. As a former Bruin, I do not remember any GF girls playing with us.
2. Stroup STARTED for Flaagan. Burck and her started in the Varisty games after the third season game against Moorhead. Stroup is also the highest scorer for south returning. Did her confidence make her miss all those shots?
4. Anstadt will be one of the most deadliest posts in the East. She is tall like the Shanley girls, but she can actually run the floor. And for Carew and Paulson, just because you're tall doesn't make you an athlete.

yikes I seem to have hit a nerve...

1. Who ever said I was from Grand Forks...guarantee you I have played on teams with all of those girls just because you don't know who I am doesn't mean I don't exist but if you say you are a former bruin I bet you do

2. Stroup did not start at least 5 games...but I may be wrong on the confidence issue

3. oops you forgot #3

4. I would hardly say that Carew and Paulson are not athletes and if they are not athletes then they are darn good ball players for non athletes...why have they both signed with colleges (Carew to St. Cloud, and Paulson to Jamestown) Where is Anstandt playing...? I bet St. Cloud overlooked the fact that Carew is not an athlete :) And yes im sure Paulson a qualifier for state in the 400 will not be able to run the floor...that was just a fluke

I stand by my statement...with Jackson and Brenner at guard and the three "trees" down low my money is on shanley but you never know....
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:47 pm

oneNdone wrote:

Did you just say that Carew and Paulson are not athletes?...haha that is the funniest thing I've ever heard.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Re:

Postby bruins44 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:50 pm

[quote="roughrider125"]I've played on teams with Anstadt, Molbert, Stroup, Paulson, Jackson, and Carew. Carew and Paulson are the best athletes of the bunch. Stroup used to be right behind them but she had a though year last year and Flaagan played her less and less as the year went on so she will have to get her confidence back up..

As a Bruin fan I know that Amy Stroup was a big reason that South won the EDC tournament last year... her confidence was never a problem... as far as her playing less and less, that is not true, when she was on the bench it was either because of foul trouble or her injuries... most people dont know she had bad shin splints last year and had to come out of games because she was in alot of pain. I give her alot of credit, some girls would have sat out games, Amy played thru it

Paulson and Carew are very good athletes!! and will be two of the top players in the EDC this year!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Stroup plays great defense. Was a big part in why South shut down Shanley's inside game at the EDC championship last year. She also can drive and get defenders in foul trouble. Was just named EDC volleyball player of the year. If I remember correctly, was a very good high jumper. We are fortunate to be able to watch some of these great athletes play.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:18 pm

EDC wrote:Stroup plays great defense. Was a big part in why South shut down Shanley's inside game at the EDC championship last year. She also can drive and get defenders in foul trouble. Was just named EDC volleyball player of the year. If I remember correctly, was a very good high jumper. We are fortunate to be able to watch some of these great athletes play.

I Agree +++++++++++++++++
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby oneNdone » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:48 am

roughrider125 wrote:
oneNdone wrote:

yikes I seem to have hit a nerve...

1. Who ever said I was from Grand Forks...guarantee you I have played on teams with all of those girls just because you don't know who I am doesn't mean I don't exist but if you say you are a former bruin I bet you do

2. Stroup did not start at least 5 games...but I may be wrong on the confidence issue

3. oops you forgot #3

4. I would hardly say that Carew and Paulson are not athletes and if they are not athletes then they are darn good ball players for non athletes...why have they both signed with colleges (Carew to St. Cloud, and Paulson to Jamestown) Where is Anstandt playing...? I bet St. Cloud overlooked the fact that Carew is not an athlete :) And yes im sure Paulson a qualifier for state in the 400 will not be able to run the floor...that was just a fluke

I stand by my statement...with Jackson and Brenner at guard and the three "trees" down low my money is on shanley but you never know....

Sorry roughrider must be the mascot of a differenet city. My bad.
oneNdone

Postby EDC » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Just a heads up for those that want to follow state stats this year. The NDHSAA has a site that most teams (all teams??) used for volleyball and I hope most schools will also use for basketball. I don't know if schools are required to send them here.

http://ndhsaa.com/sports/gbasketball/st ... seasonid=8

Also, the EDC maintains a master site for all sports:

http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcsite/

Click on EDC girls basketball to get to EDC site that has also accumulated stats. This site has a link to the WDA site under "links" Has both girls and boys basketball.

http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.com/edc/girls/
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:58 pm

EDC wrote:Just a heads up for those that want to follow state stats this year. The NDHSAA has a site that most teams (all teams??) used for volleyball and I hope most schools will also use for basketball. I don't know if schools are required to send them here.

http://ndhsaa.com/sports/gbasketball/st ... seasonid=8

Also, the EDC maintains a master site for all sports:

http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcsite/

Click on EDC girls basketball to get to EDC site that has also accumulated stats. This site has a link to the WDA site under "links" Has both girls and boys basketball.

http://www.fargosouthgirlsbasketball.com/edc/girls/

The basketball coaches don't take the NDHSAA website nearly as seriosly as the Volleyball coaches do. I do know that the EDC website is kept up to date and the WDA website is

http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcbb/Girls/index.html
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:10 pm

It would be interesting now that games have been played to get opinions. Any surprises? Any change of opinions? All in fun and try to be sensitive.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:12 pm

With Privratsky out...Paulson is the best player in the east. Braun is a close second; however, she doesn't have the team to back her up so until college, noone will know how good she really is. As far as stats go, the EDC website is not updated as far a season statistics go so I'm not sure who is leading the league in scoring...etc. however both Carew and Paulson are outscoring Anstadt game by game.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby HitManHoops » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:58 pm

bballfan1 wrote:With Privratsky out...Paulson is the best player in the east. Braun is a close second; however, she doesn't have the team to back her up so until college, noone will know how good she really is. As far as stats go, the EDC website is not updated as far a season statistics go so I'm not sure who is leading the league in scoring...etc. however both Carew and Paulson are outscoring Anstadt game by game.

Where is braun going to college?
HitManHoops

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:23 pm

I don't know that she is even playing basketball in college...I just meant unless she plays in college with a better team who can get the ball up the floor and pass it to her we will never know her true potential...sorry about the confusion - maybe someone else knows if she will play in college??
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:53 pm

Someone should throw Amy Stroups name into this mix. She has been a varsity player for three years. Check out her EDC stats. Also, the Bruins are leading the EDC. That should count for something.
Last edited by dgfsuperfan1 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm

bballfan1 wrote:With Privratsky out...Paulson is the best player in the east. Braun is a close second; however, she doesn't have the team to back her up so until college, noone will know how good she really is. As far as stats go, the EDC website is not updated as far a season statistics go so I'm not sure who is leading the league in scoring...etc. however both Carew and Paulson are outscoring Anstadt game by game.

Comparing stats for Stroup and Anstadt to Paulson and Carew could be misleading. FSH had a much more difficult shedule at the start of the season, and FSH is a very balanced team. Paulson, Carew, Stroup and Anstadt are all very good players that contribute a lot to their teams in their own different ways. It was fun watching them play against each other twice this year.
dgfsuperfan1

Re: 2007 - 2008 TOP DOGS//All Region Teams

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:21 pm

How are the all region teams picked? Are they chosen by the coaches? Does each coach nominate players from their school? Does each school get at least one player? Does the first place team get more spots than the last place team? For example are Bismarck Hgh or Fargo Souch give ore spots than Mandan or Shanley because they won their regions in the regular season?
dgfsuperfan1

Re: 2007 - 2008 TOP DOGS//All Region Teams

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:32 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:How are the all region teams picked? Are they chosen by the coaches? Does each coach nominate players from their school? Does each school get at least one player? Does the first place team get more spots than the last place team? For example are Bismarck Hgh or Fargo Souch give ore spots than Mandan or Shanley because they won their regions in the regular season?

Each coach puts up as many players as he/she wants and then the coaches vote at the coaches meeting. It doesnt matter what team is seeded where. They just vote for the top players. Some teams may not get any, and some teams may get three, depending on how many good players they have.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 2008tournement » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:17 pm

2008 EDC AWARDS

Coach of the Year: Craig Flaagan, Fargo South
Player of the Year: Mara Paulson, Shanley
Player Team Points Other
Stephanie Mertens Devils Lake
Courtney Hammer GF Central
Caitlin Farroh GF Central