2007 - 2008 TOP DOGS

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Eminence » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:32 am

Your top 5 for each position. 

It was hard to pick the center (Feeney was my pick as the forward) so who would dominate if the "Centers" would play one-on-one.  Basically, if you could pick your starting 5 and you had the entire Class A as your rooster.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:16 am

Eminence wrote:Did Anstadt play this summer?  What is her stats?  Did she make the EDC all-team?  I haven't heard much about her.

Anstadt played with her South teammates this past summer, the Bruins always play as a team at team camps and tournaments... they played in Sioux Falls, Moorhead State, U of Minnesota and Las Vegas.... she played mostly JV last year until the end of the season, she scored over 30 pts in a couple JV games, South is looking for her to have a good season.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 am

How did she do this summer?  How did South do in their tournaments this summer?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ol_Husky » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:52 pm

[font=Arial]Kylie Messer is a good shooter.  Of the returning big's, she's a top quartile shooter.  That said, of the returning 4's and 5's, Alex Feeney, Amy Stroup, Amber Ramlo, Lauren Carew, Morgan Dale, and Shannon Schmidt ALL have higher 06-07 points/shot attempt (PPS) than Messer.  There are a bunch of good 4 and 5 shooters coming back.

[/font][font=Arial]I wouldn't get too caught up on PPG as a measure of shooting skill.  Kids that play huge minutes (32+/game), jack up lots of shots (15+/game), and/or play on teams with weak supporting casts tend to have high PPG -- whether they're good shooters or not.  Messer IS a good shooter, but it's the PPS, not the PPG, that tells me so.

[/font][font=Arial]Incidentally, Kristen Andstadt was just below Kylie Messer in 06-07 PPS.  Kristen was at 1.058 and Kylie was at 1.072 PPS.[/font]
Ol_Husky

Postby rep » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Ol_Husky wrote:[font=Arial]Kylie Messer is a good shooter.  Of the returning big's, she's a top quartile shooter.  That said, of the returning 4's and 5's, Alex Feeney, Amy Stroup, Amber Ramlo, Lauren Carew, Morgan Dale, and Shannon Schmidt ALL have higher 06-07 points/shot attempt (PPS) than Messer.  There are a bunch of good 4 and 5 shooters coming back.

[/font][font=Arial]I wouldn't get too caught up on PPG as a measure of shooting skill.  Kids that play huge minutes (32+/game), jack up lots of shots (15+/game), and/or play on teams with weak supporting casts tend to have high PPG -- whether they're good shooters or not.  Messer IS a good shooter, but it's the PPS, not the PPG, that tells me so.

[/font][font=Arial]Incidentally, Kristen Andstadt was just below Kylie Messer in 06-07 PPS.  Kristen was at 1.058 and Kylie was at 1.072 PPS.[/font]

quar·tile  Image  ImageImage  /

Statistics. (in a frequency distribution) one of the values of a variable that divides the distribution of the variable into four groups having equal frequencies. Compare first quartile, median, third quartile.

Astrology. a quartile aspect. –adjective

Astrology. of or pertaining to the aspect of two heavenly bodies when their longitudes differ by 90°.

[Origin: 1500–10; < ML quartīlis, equiv. to L quart(us) fourth + -īlis -ileImage]

Investopedia Commentary

Each quartile contains 25% of the total observations. Generally, the data is ordered from smallest to largest with those observations falling below 25% of all the data analyzed allocated within the 1st quartile, observations falling between 25.1% and 50% and allocated in the 2nd quartile, then the observations falling between 51% and 75% allocated in the 3rd quartile, and finally the remaining observations allocated in the 4th quartile.

Try not to confuse a quarter with a quartile.
Last edited by rep on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby Ol_Husky » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Sorry rep.  Maybe I abused the term.  I'll try to be more careful.  :D
Ol_Husky

Postby SDHoops » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Don't forget Marlee Finley...she is a 5'11" shooting guard..the same Marlee that put up 15 and 10 as an 8th grader at New Town..was all-state for Four Winds as a frosh and soph and a starter and double figure scorer for Mandan as a junior. She is a top dog, but there may be some ranked ahead of her as far as positions go.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Carl08 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:38 pm

anstadt is not in the same league as the other girls that have been mentioned...she is average...other than haring the south girls will struggle to find an offensive when faced with the shanley man-to-man D, especially in the post
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Carl08 wrote:anstadt is not in the same league as the other girls that have been mentioned...she is average...other than haring the south girls will struggle to find an offensive when faced with the shanley man-to-man D, especially in the post

Are you serious...the return burck and stroup also....add Kate Molbert and I can't wait to see Anstadt school Paulson and Carew just because you said that.....The problem for Shanley will be that they can't get the ball to the posts...they have no guards.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HitManHoops » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:27 pm

Jackson played a significant amount of time this past year for shanley, and brought  the ball up the floor more than enough times. She'll be their main guard this year, don't count her out.
HitManHoops

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:27 pm

HitManHoops wrote:Jackson played a significant amount of time this past year for shanley, and brought  the ball up the floor more than enough times. She'll be their main guard this year, don't count her out.

mainly because teams put their best guard defender on shuler - with her gone that best defender now falls on jackson - rewind to 2 years ago before shuler moved in - how did shanley do against teams that pressured the ball up the court...now, that being said, jackson is much improved from then, and is a competitive player, she'll definitely do her best!
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=3419]EastGuruWannabe[/user] wrote:
HitManHoops wrote:Jackson played a significant amount of time this past year for shanley, and brought  the ball up the floor more than enough times. She'll be their main guard this year, don't count her out.

mainly because teams put their best guard defender on shuler - with her gone that best defender now falls on jackson - rewind to 2 years ago before shuler moved in - how did shanley do against teams that pressured the ball up the court...now, that being said, jackson is much improved from then, and is a competitive player, she'll definitely do her best!
</span>

It'll be interesting to see how Shanley reacts to playing without Schuler this year. Statistically she didn't fair as well as most would have hoped towards the end of the year, but she took tremendous amounts of pressure off of her teammates. I don't think Shanley has that type of player this year, that demands that much respect on the court. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanley win both matchups against South this year, only to have South beat them again at EDC. Either way, they should be good games.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:48 am

doesnt Shanley have a really good Freshman class?  will any of those girls step up and help their varsity at guard.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:01 am

That's a lot of pressure to rely on a Freshman to bring the ball up during a press, especially at a Varsity level.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roughrider125 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:59 am

I've played on teams with Anstadt, Molbert, Stroup, Paulson, Jackson, and Carew.  Carew and Paulson are the best athletes of the bunch.  Stroup used to be right behind them but she had a though year last year and Flaagan played her less and less as the year went on so she will have to get her confidence back up.. Anstadt never used to be anything special but in the last couple years she has come on strong, she doesn't shy away from contact but I don't think she has the quickness of the Shanley posts.  Molbert has not played much varsity so experience will come into play with her.  Jackson has the experience but she will need to learn how to take total control of a gome without other players to help her out.    Head-to-head my money is on Shanley but you never know
Last edited by roughrider125 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan1 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:05 am

I just don't see south beating Jacobson's team...the way he turned them around last year, I imagine he worked with them all summer and I believe they will come into this year fired up and improved from last year
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:30 pm

I don't know.  south has a way of turning it on at tourney time.  i know they sort of gagged at state, but everyone in the east did with the exception of devils lake - maybe the 2 days off between edc and state hurt everyone.  anyway, south's postseason the last 4 or 5 years has been pretty steady - i would put my money on south before shanley by season's end.  don't get me wrong, jacobson is a great coach for shanley - obviously.   I just think sometimes shanley feels like "little sister" to south and feels the pressure when they play each other.  I don't know, maybe not...just a thought
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=3419]EastGuruWannabe[/user] wrote:
I don't know.  south has a way of turning it on at tourney time.  i know they sort of gagged at state, but everyone in the east did with the exception of devils lake - maybe the 2 days off between edc and state hurt everyone.  anyway, south's postseason the last 4 or 5 years has been pretty steady - i would put my money on south before shanley by season's end.  don't get me wrong, jacobson is a great coach for shanley - obviously.   I just think sometimes shanley feels like "little sister" to south and feels the pressure when they play each other.  I don't know, maybe not...just a thought
</span>

Yeah I agree. I could see South getting swept by Shanley in the regular season again, but upsetting them in the region tournament like last year. It seemed like they improved more drastically than all the other teams in the East.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: anstadt

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Baller wrote:
Eminence wrote:At this point, she doesn't appear to be comparable.  According to their stats on the EDC website she only averaged 3.9 points per game and 3 rebounds per game.  To be in the top 5 picks, their are other players who have proven they can play. 

I'd still pick Messer.  The other 4 picks (Privasky, Collins, Braun and Feeney) are returning All-Staters.  If Feeney was the Center and Braun the Forward, then as small forward who's the best??? Finely? Dale? The 5th pick is hard.

no one put her in the top 5....just said that she is one of the better posts and would be a force in a game of one on one with the posts

Anstadt got a slow start last year because she had a tumor removed preseason. Check her stats from EDC tourney and state. She was their best player off the bench especially against DL in EDC tourney.
dgfsuperfan1

Re:

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:52 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:

Jackson will do a good job for Shanley. She is tough and very competative. She has had some colleges talk to her about basketball.
dgfsuperfan1

Re: 2007 - 2008 TOP DOGS

Postby EDC » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:13 pm

I am one to believe you don't need a great guard to bring the ball up the court against a zone or trapping press. Put your people in the right place and teach them the weaknesses in the press and they should be OK. It would be nice to have a good guard bringing the ball up against a man to man press. Even that isn't necessary if you have some big people who can bring the ball up. For instance, it isn't smart to have a team choose to bring the ball up against Privatsky. Just pass it to whoever she isn't guarding and let them bring it up. Don't get me wrong, I would take a great guard ballhandler anytime. I just think it is something that can be overcome with good coaching.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 am

EDC wrote:I am one to believe you don't need a great guard to bring the ball up the court against a zone or trapping press. Put your people in the right place and teach them the weaknesses in the press and they should be OK. It would be nice to have a good guard bringing the ball up against a man to man press. Even that isn't necessary if you have some big people who can bring the ball up. For instance, it isn't smart to have a team choose to bring the ball up against Privatsky. Just pass it to whoever she isn't guarding and let them bring it up. Don't get me wrong, I would take a great guard ballhandler anytime. I just think it is something that can be overcome with good coaching.

"put people in the right place"? What, you think the opposing coaches don't coach too? If a coach knows a team is weak at guard, they'll exploit that at the varsity level - it isn't like travelling ball when teams just show up and play - teams are scouted and their weaknesses practiced against. If a team doesn't have a good point guard they are going to turn the ball over - a lot! I'm not saying every time, but you can't just say - hey bigs, go to the right spot and we'll break the press or just hand it off to someone whos not used to bringing the ball up. look at the good teams in class a over the last 10 years - i'm talking teams that make it to the semi's - they all have good point guards - if you don't have a good point, you don't win, at least not when the competition gets good - its that simple
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:37 am

EDC wrote:I am one to believe you don't need a great guard to bring the ball up the court against a zone or trapping press. Put your people in the right place and teach them the weaknesses in the press and they should be OK. It would be nice to have a good guard bringing the ball up against a man to man press. Even that isn't necessary if you have some big people who can bring the ball up. For instance, it isn't smart to have a team choose to bring the ball up against Privatsky. Just pass it to whoever she isn't guarding and let them bring it up. Don't get me wrong, I would take a great guard ballhandler anytime. I just think it is something that can be overcome with good coaching.

If it was that easy, then our teams wouldn't struggle against Mandan. It's not just coaching and having a big post get the ball. The post turn it over more so than the guards who are use to some pressure. Good example is Dickinson. HUGE post last year but didn't touch the ball and it wasn't just the coaching.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 am

Interesting. Some discussion questions. Would you rather have a post bring up the ball against another post or always have a guard bring the ball up against another guard? If you had to choose, would you rather have a great ballhandling guard or a smart heads up guard that wasn’t quite as good with the ballhandling?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 am

EDC wrote:Interesting. Some discussion questions. Would you rather have a post bring up the ball against another post or always have a guard bring the ball up against another guard? If you had to choose, would you rather have a great ballhandling guard or a smart heads up guard that wasn’t quite as good with the ballhandling?

The reason the big post don't work is as soon as they start dribbling, the double team comes and they loose the ball. More times than a weaker guard.

The ideal is to have a great ball handler with a smart head. If you go thru your legs a million times and go no where, are you are great ball handler? I think not. On the other hand, if you can't use your left hand but can see the floor, Can you really get the ball to that person? Probably not. Teams will prey on the guards weakness.

To choose, hum...... I would always choose mental toughness over natural ability! It is easier to teach a skill than to teach a player mental toughness.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls