going to college ranks

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby sportsmart » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:06 am

Why do you suppose Amundson doesn't move on to the next step in coaching??
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:20 am

I heard that he wanted the Mary job when Haug retired and they wouldn't give it to him....he isn't exactly the most well liked guy in the state.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsmart » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am

Of course he isn't going to be liked because he is successful!!  Any program that is successful is disliked by others.  If you look at it through a coaching perspective he has to be one of the best in the state.  heck I would take a coach with that much success and give him a try at the college ranks!!  Just surprised he hasn't moved on!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:31 am

Its not that he is successful.  Most of his peers see him as very arrogant.  He has burned a lot of bridges over the years by running up scores....(He beat his daughter's team by 50.)  I realize that he is successful, but he isn't much of a humble winner.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsmart » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:36 am

We can agree to disagree.  I don't think he runs it up.  When he plays his bench as much as he does.  It just so happens his bench can beat most teams.  What do you do ask your team to stop playing??????  There isn't a high school coach in ND that runs it up.  You can't have your team to stop playing.  It is trying to improve your team and he does that well.  i would like to see him at the next level and see what he could do??
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:12 am

sportsmart wrote:We can agree to disagree.  I don't think he runs it up.  When he plays his bench as much as he does.  It just so happens his bench can beat most teams.  What do you do ask your team to stop playing??????  There isn't a high school coach in ND that runs it up.  You can't have your team to stop playing.  It is trying to improve your team and he does that well.  i would like to see him at the next level and see what he could do??

I agree, he doesn't try to run it up. The only way they could not beat some teams by 50 is for the girls to stand there and twiddle their fingers while the opposing team plays ball. You have to admit St. Mary's does not have a very good team, whether it is Jaye coaching or someone else. For example, in the first game of the State Tournament this year, although some people would like to disagree, Mandan won by a large margin, but the bench played a good portion of the game.  I actually do not think he is that arrogant, he just is successful and again, against what a few people would like to believe, that sometimes breeds jealousy.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:14 am

bbfollower why don't you think he is at the next level??

Also why isn't his daughter coaching at St. Mary's anymore?
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:20 am

sportsmart wrote:bbfollower why don't you think he is at the next level??

purposes that should not be discussed on the board.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsmart » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:26 am

Baller wrote:

purposes that should not be discussed on the board.
What?????
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:00 am

I think Greg Amundson enjoys working with the girls that he works with from Kindergarten on up.

Have heard things about why Jaye isn't coaching, but won't go into it, because I don't know if it is true or not. I also read that she has decided to go on to law school.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 am

bbfollower wrote:

I think Greg Amundson enjoys working with the girls that he works with from Kindergarten on up.

Have heard things about why Jaye isn't coaching, but won't go into it, because I don't know if it is true or not. I also read that she has decided to go on to law school.
Ok I will accept that ..Thanks for the conversation
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:11 am

Amundson is close to retiring i don't see why he would go on. He's built the program from the ground up. I think when he feels that Marv Pederson is ready to take the head coaching job i think he will step down. Though right now i don't see it happening for awhile. Im sure hes had plenty of offers and calls to have him come coach at the collegiate level. Why would he though hes got family in town, and has a perfect coachs job a gym teacher. I just think he doesn't see a point and moving on to prove anything.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby cd » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 am

Greg Amundson is happy with the job he is doing and is doing a very good job and is so successful so probably doesn't feel the need to move on.

His daughter Jaye decided she wanted to go to law school.  Why would she stick with the wages of teaching when she could be a lawyer?  She could have seen that it could be awhile before St. Mary's had the potential to become what the team was/is that she came from. 
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:51 am

I agree he is probably happy, but he can't be making lots of money being a gym teacher and a high school coach.  we all know that is crap pay.  Just thought at some point $$$$ would lure him to the next level?
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:26 am

cd wrote:Greg Amundson is happy with the job he is doing and is doing a very good job and is so successful so probably doesn't feel the need to move on.

His daughter Jaye decided she wanted to go to law school.  Why would she stick with the wages of teaching when she could be a lawyer?  She could have seen that it could be awhile before St. Mary's had the potential to become what the team was/is that she came from. 

ya...she "decided" to stop coaching...ha
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:53 am

roughrider125 wrote:
cd wrote:Greg Amundson is happy with the job he is doing and is doing a very good job and is so successful so probably doesn't feel the need to move on.

everyone is saying that she didn't on her own.  Man I am out in the dark on that one.  I must have missed something.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:10 am

sportsmart wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:

everyone is saying that she didn't on her own.  Man I am out in the dark on that one.  I must have missed something.

Lets just say she got forced into an early coaching retirment
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ditka14 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:11 am

sportsmart wrote:I agree he is probably happy, but he can't be making lots of money being a gym teacher and a high school coach.  we all know that is crap pay.  Just thought at some point $$$$ would lure him to the next level?

Well he also runs all those camps in the summer, plus im sure hes by far the highest paid coach in Mandan Athletics so i don't think he does bad. His wife i think is a nurse?? I have seen his house he is doing well for himself.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby cd » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:52 am

Amundson's wife is a retired teacher.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02 am

Pretty sure that her family is pretty well off.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:26 pm

Haha, I am surprised this is being brought up.  Jaye didn't quit herself; I believe she was highly encouraged to quit.  Let's just she followed "someone" to that law school she is attending.  
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 pm

i am pretty sure all of you are getting way to far into the amundson family's personaly life and it should stop

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby REbound » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:33 pm

I feel that the reason why Amudson did not go to the college level is the success that he is having at the Jigh School level.  Amudson and Pedersen has a great working relationship.  If Amudson would og to the college level Pedersen would be able to step right in and do very well.  Pedersen's first year at Mandan is when Amundson won this first state title.  Pedersen does alot the people do not know.  I see during the games that he does all the offenses.
REbound
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:27 pm

alright....now that everyone has had there say...I am closing it before people start saying too much.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls