All State

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 am

First Team:

Kielpinski, Lafrance, Steffan, Privratsky, Shuler, Alex Feeney

Second Team:

Fettig, Collins, Michael-Vance, Lexi Braun, Adams

Can't say that I agree with all of them, but that is the way it goes I guess
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carl08 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:00 am

Baller wrote:First Team:

Kielpinski, Lafrance, Steffan, Privratsky, Shuler, Alex Feeney

Second Team:

Fettig, Collins, Michael-Vance, Lexi Braun, Adams

Can't say that I agree with all of them, but that is the way it goes I guess

Mary-Michael Vance shouldn't have been on the team...it should have been someone from the west.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:06 am

I don't know that it should have gone to someone from the west....there were some girls from the east that were also very deserving.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carl08 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am

Baller wrote:I don't know that it should have gone to someone from the west....there were some girls from the east that were also very deserving.

there were more deserving people both east and west.  She just got it because she was on it last year.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:30 am

Carl08 wrote:
Baller wrote:I don't know that it should have gone to someone from the west....there were some girls from the east that were also very deserving.

there were more deserving people both east and west.  She just got it because she was on it last year.

I agree.  I would like to have seen it go to someone that played the entire season.  I think Kelsch, Hanson, Thorson, maybe even Dale could have all gotten it ahead of her.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby roughrider125 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:38 am

Its kinda weird to think of all those players who had better stats on better teams that played more than 16 games that didn't get it...black, hanson, thorson, paulson, KELSCH sp.?  definitely pretty fishy!
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:42 am

Braun from Wahpeton should not have made second team!!  she is ok but there were alot more deserving players from both the WDA and EDC!!  Wahp was bottom of the league team.... Hanson from DL or Thorson from South would have been more deserving... jmo
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Uptown » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:54 am

Hey... can someone answer how they pick the teams...???? I am questioning Collins, Braun and Vance.... how are they selected? and why didn't jossart, kelsch, kraft, dale etc get on... just thinking here... can someone explain how they select... the three I mentioned are odd choices.. to me... jmo!
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:22 am

It's all politics in the voting in every sport.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:17 am

Uptown wrote:Hey... can someone answer how they pick the teams...???? I am questioning Collins, Braun and Vance.... how are they selected? and why didn't jossart, kelsch, kraft, dale etc get on... just thinking here... can someone explain how they select... the three I mentioned are odd choices.. to me... jmo!

the only one i can offer an opinion on is dale. with being injured for something like 7-10 games that probably hurt her chances. tough break...she's a really decent player, i believe led jhs in scoring and rebounding this season (average per game anyway, i don't know about total numbers with missing those games).
rep

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:18 am

rep wrote:
Uptown wrote:Hey... can someone answer how they pick the teams...???? I am questioning Collins, Braun and Vance.... how are they selected? and why didn't jossart, kelsch, kraft, dale etc get on... just thinking here... can someone explain how they select... the three I mentioned are odd choices.. to me... jmo!

the only one i can offer an opinion on is dale. with being injured for something like 7-10 games that probably hurt her chances. tough break...she's a really decent player, i believe led jhs in scoring and rebounding this season (average per game anyway, i don't know about total numbers with missing those games).
If that is the reasoning behind Dale though...Why is Vance on after missing over half the season.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:26 am

Baller wrote:
rep wrote:

If that is the reasoning behind Dale though...Why is Vance on after missing over half the season.

dunno...don't cover class a
rep

Postby ndguy256 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:08 pm

I would have liked to have seen Kelsch or even Kraft on the list. I know that when you first look at their stats they may not stack up, but if you looked at them per 36 minutes, which is the time of a game, they would be much higher. No starter from Mandan plays for much more than 20 minutes in most games, so when you look at their stats per game most of them are going to be lower compared to girls who sit only 3 or 4 minutes.

Also, I don't see why Steffan always gets so much praise, because I have never been impressed with her when she was playing. She doesn't dominate like someone her size should. Kielpinski is at least 3 inches shorter and she is much more dominant offensively and defensively. I know you can't really penalize a player for not playing as well as their size could allow them to, but she never really seemed like one of the best players in the state to me.
ndguy256
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sioux75 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I agree with your comments about Stephan.  In 2005-2006, Mandan beat Dickinson 61 to 27.  Dickinson scored only 7 points in the first half, 1 in the second quarter, going almost the whole quarter before someone made a freethrow.  Steffan had 2 points for the whole game.  When you are the tallest person on the floor and an "all-stater" since a sophomore you should be able to do better than that.  In that game Kielpinski had 21points 10 rebounds and Kelsch 13 points and 14 rebounds.  Moorman had the most rebounds for Dickinson with 8.

Steffan had a pretty good year statistically, but Dickinson was upset the past two years and did not make it to state.   
sioux75

Postby Uptown » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:09 pm

ndguy256 wrote:I would have liked to have seen Kelsch or even Kraft on the list. I know that when you first look at their stats they may not stack up, but if you looked at them per 36 minutes, which is the time of a game, they would be much higher. No starter from Mandan plays for much more than 20 minutes in most games, so when you look at their stats per game most of them are going to be lower compared to girls who sit only 3 or 4 minutes.

Also, I don't see why Steffan always gets so much praise, because I have never been impressed with her when she was playing. She doesn't dominate like someone her size should. Kielpinski is at least 3 inches shorter and she is much more dominant offensively and defensively. I know you can't really penalize a player for not playing as well as their size could allow them to, but she never really seemed like one of the best players in the state to me.

I agree with your comments.... can someone tell me who are the voters.. yes I am green.... I just am trying to understand this system because it seems like an odd pick on the second team. I am inclined to think Ditka14 may have something, politcs... is it really a case where ... working hard does not count and it's who you know or who your parents are... or how much bragging your coach does... I am inclined to think stats are not quite accurate so ... who votes and who determines... I read the tribune online ... story of the girls who won... kinda thinking ... interesting...
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Uptown wrote:
ndguy256 wrote:I would have liked to have seen Kelsch or even Kraft on the list. I know that when you first look at their stats they may not stack up, but if you looked at them per 36 minutes, which is the time of a game, they would be much higher. No starter from Mandan plays for much more than 20 minutes in most games, so when you look at their stats per game most of them are going to be lower compared to girls who sit only 3 or 4 minutes.

I agree with your comments.... can someone tell me who are the voters.. yes I am green.... I just am trying to understand this system because it seems like an odd pick on the second team. I am inclined to think Ditka14 may have something, politcs... is it really a case where ... working hard does not count and it's who you know or who your parents are... or how much bragging your coach does... I am inclined to think stats are not quite accurate so ... who votes and who determines... I read the tribune online ... story of the girls who won... kinda thinking ... interesting...

It's all just a bunch of coaches sitting in a room and the one's that are the best presuaders and bull-sh**er's are the ones that talk there good players on the list when there are other players that i think were more deserving that didn't get on the list.

Like i said before its all politics!!!
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:29 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
Uptown wrote:

It's all just a bunch of coaches sitting in a room and the one's that are the best presuaders and bull-sh**er's are the ones that talk there good players on the list when there are other players that i think were more deserving that didn't get on the list.

All-State is a media award....it has nothing to do with the coaches!
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Y-not Daily » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:48 pm

sioux75 wrote:I agree with your comments about Stephan.  In 2005-2006, Mandan beat Dickinson 61 to 27.  Dickinson scored only 7 points in the first half, 1 in the second quarter, going almost the whole quarter before someone made a freethrow.  Steffan had 2 points for the whole game.  When you are the tallest person on the floor and an "all-stater" since a sophomore you should be able to do better than that.  In that game Kielpinski had 21points 10 rebounds and Kelsch 13 points and 14 rebounds.  Moorman had the most rebounds for Dickinson with 8.

Steffan had a pretty good year statistically, but Dickinson was upset the past two years and did not make it to state.   

Mandan made a lot of good players look crappy. Steffan was waaaay better this season than last IMO. I compare her to Qvale in that way. I think both were all-staters as juniors on reputation alone, but both were very good this season. Steffan's footwork was outstanding this year, I thought she made big improvements in that area.
Y-not Daily

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:17 am

Ditka14 wrote:
Uptown wrote:

i agree with you that stats aren't accurate.  too bad they don't have someone qualified doing everyone's stats and not just kids who might not know what they're doing.  and, if it is politics, i wish politics would stay at the capitol and off the court.
Last edited by just a bb fan on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
just a bb fan

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:27 am

"All-State is a media award....it has nothing to do with the coaches!"

Ms. Basketball is voted on by the media but all-state is the coaches.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:31 am

I don't know if its politics as much as media that don't know what they're voting on.  It does seem that those who got the most press during the season were chosen.  Maybe im wrong on this but wouldn't a person from bismarck chose someone they'd seen play multiple times over someone who lives in the East or Northern part of the state who they hadn't seen play...but i could be wrong. 
Does anyone knows exactly how the players are chosen?
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:32 am

Wild Wolves wrote:"All-State is a media award....it has nothing to do with the coaches!"

probably a dumb question, but who picks the Lion's All Star players?
just a bb fan

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:38 am

SCC wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:"All-State is a media award....it has nothing to do with the coaches!"

probably a dumb question, but who picks the Lion's All Star players?

All-State:  media
Lion's All-Star:  coaches

thanks. politics involved in those picks, or athletes who really deserve it?
just a bb fan

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:04 am

My mistake I was thinking about FB which is choosen by the coaches.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:45 am

Wild Wolves wrote:My mistake I was thinking about FB which is choosen by the coaches.

probably another dumb question-what is FB?
just a bb fan

Next

Return to Girls