Mascots/Nicknames

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:09 am

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but what do you people think about schools names and mascots?  This goes back to one of the fans wearing a feather when they played Mandan.  I don't believe her intention was to discredit anyone's heritage.  It happens to be the nickname of the name they were playing against, and part of the student section cheering is to "dress up," whether it's hunting clothes (Coyotes), a magicians outfit or rabbit (Minot), kneeling (Dickinson), devil (Bismarck),  a feather (Mandan), etc.  I don't believe I've heard any other school get as defensive as Mandan does when it comes to their nickname.   Any thoughts on this?
just a bb fan

Postby HitManHoops » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:18 am

I know when teams play shanley, especially south and north, they dress up in nun outfits or in the shanley uniforms. And, before/during/after the games, you can see them "praying" or making fun of the deacons. Cheering "God's our our side".. etc... Personally, i think it's hilarious, and I know some people from shanley do too. I dont know if it offends anyone or not.

:D
Last edited by HitManHoops on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HitManHoops

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:20 am

That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about!  That is hilarious! 
just a bb fan

Postby Carl08 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:38 am

HitManHoops wrote:I know when teams play shanley, especially south and north, they dress up in nun outfits or in the shanley uniforms. And, before/during/after the games, you can see them "praying" or making fun of the deacons. Cheering "God's our our side".. etc... Personally, i think it's hilarious, and I know some people from shanley do too. I dont know if it offends anyone or not.

:D

Yeah at many of the shanley games South or North will wear uniforms...its almost a given that when shanley loses they hear "God's on our side"  The shanley fans don't ever get upset about it though...against north they all showed up in their uniforms so everyone was in uniforms...it was hilarious.  Also - choir robes are also very popular!

P.s. Shanley deserved the spirit award...they were the loudest and the funniest (some kid in a nasty old wrestling uniform made for a 5th grader) 
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:43 am

I can guarantee you, if that 5th grade wrestling uniform would have had a number on it, the mandan fans would have been upset.  That stuff is great!  The more creative, the better!
just a bb fan

Postby bbfollower » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:56 am

I have a thought and I am not trying to be defensive about it or anything. I just wanted to bring up a point. I think maybe the difference in these instances is, there are no nuns or coyotes that play basketball. However, Mandan does have a girl who is of Native American heritage and perhaps this is why it touched a nerve a little more. Like I said, I am not trying to be defensive, just bringing up a point.  
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Uptown » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:02 am

just a bb fan wrote:I can guarantee you, if that 5th grade wrestling uniform would have had a number on it, the mandan fans would have been upset.  That stuff is great!  The more creative, the better!

I think you are just being nasty and trying to pick a fight with Mandan people. Depending on who you talk to.. I bet you can find people offended and other people thinking things are funny... in any HS stand for any reason.... why would you start a new forum and bring all this back up?
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:15 am

Uptown, I'm not bringing anything back up and I'm not being nasty.  I guess I thought this was a forum where we can express our opinion and I'm asking what other people think about the nickname/cheering situation.  Of course, ANYTHING depends on who you talk to, that's why I wanted to get opinion in the first place.  I was wondering if other schools (other than Mandan) got offended when the opposing team "dressed up," or if maybe Mandan is being a little too defensive.  I'll consider you a Mandan person who gets offended when someone refers to your nickname. 

bbfollower, I see your point, but let me ask you -- Do you think if someone would wear a feather and a jersey number other than 30, then no one would have been offended? 
just a bb fan

Postby laughing@allofyou » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:23 am

just a bb fan wrote:I apologize if this has been discussed before, but what do you people think about schools names and mascots?  This goes back to one of the fans wearing a feather when they played Mandan.  I don't believe her intention was to discredit anyone's heritage.  It happens to be the nickname of the name they were playing against, and part of the student section cheering is to "dress up," whether it's hunting clothes (Coyotes), a magicians outfit or rabbit (Minot), kneeling (Dickinson), devil (Bismarck),  a feather (Mandan), etc.  I don't believe I've heard any other school get as defensive as Mandan does when it comes to their nickname.   Any thoughts on this?
When I posted the picture and said stuff about the girl not having good sportsmanship, I in no way represent Mandan. I said I'm not from Mandan and I'm pretty much the only one that got defensive. So you can't just say Mandan gets defensive because I'm only one person and I live in Minot. I just find it offensive to the Native Americans. People already heard about the major controversy of the UND "Sioux" mascot and seeing a girl wearing a feather just got my wheels turning. I just found it a sterotypical way or portraying a Native American person. Like an old time cowboy and indian movie. In a nut shell it just hurt to see a young person not know how her actions could affect other people.
laughing@allofyou
NDPreps Rookie

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:43 am

Let's forget about Mandan for a while...please!  Any other examples like the South and North fans dressing up like nuns when they play Shanley, etc?  Maybe I'm naive, but I sincerely believe that dressing up is meant to be fun and a part of the "cheering" atmosphere.  Lighten up a little and enjoy it. 
just a bb fan

Postby bbfollower » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:46 am

just a bb fan wrote:Uptown, I'm not bringing anything back up and I'm not being nasty.  I guess I thought this was a forum where we can express our opinion and I'm asking what other people think about the nickname/cheering situation.  Of course, ANYTHING depends on who you talk to, that's why I wanted to get opinion in the first place.  I was wondering if other schools (other than Mandan) got offended when the opposing team "dressed up," or if maybe Mandan is being a little too defensive.  I'll consider you a Mandan person who gets offended when someone refers to your nickname. 

bbfollower, I see your point, but let me ask you -- Do you think if someone would wear a feather and a jersey number other than 30, then no one would have been offended? 

I don't really know if it would have been as offensive had it not been Marlee's number. I know it has been said that it was just a coincidence that it was Marlee's number, which I find a little odd, especially with all the scuttlebutt about the supposed recruiting, but I am a forgiving person and will accept that perhaps it was a coincidence.  If this helped anyone learn that sometimes we have to think before acting and asking ourselves if this is how we want to come across, then something good did come from it.   I am glad though that you can see my point and didn't get defensive about it. Thank you for that.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Uptown » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 am

bbfollower wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:Uptown, I'm not bringing anything back up and I'm not being nasty.  I guess I thought this was a forum where we can express our opinion and I'm asking what other people think about the nickname/cheering situation.  Of course, ANYTHING depends on who you talk to, that's why I wanted to get opinion in the first place.  I was wondering if other schools (other than Mandan) got offended when the opposing team "dressed up," or if maybe Mandan is being a little too defensive.  I'll consider you a Mandan person who gets offended when someone refers to your nickname. 

I don't really know if it would have been as offensive had it not been Marlee's number. I know it has been said that it was just a coincidence that it was Marlee's number, which I find a little odd, especially with all the scuttlebutt about the supposed recruiting, but I am a forgiving person and will accept that perhaps it was a coincidence.  If this helped anyone learn that sometimes we have to think before acting and asking ourselves if this is how we want to come across, then something good did come from it.   I am glad though that you can see my point and didn't get defensive about it. Thank you for that.

Many apologies Just a BB Fan... did not mean to get you upset... I am just an old goat who loves class a and b BB... not from Mandan at all... just like reading these forums and I feel like poor Century and Mandan have been kicked around alot in these... I am sorry not picking on you either...
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:00 am

bbfollower wrote:

No problem!  I was simply trying to get a little chat going about different school nicknames and that maybe some people tend to get defensive, when it isn't ALWAYS about them.  Like I said, we need to lighten up and enjoy the kids taking part in supporting their school. 

just a bb fan

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 am

Uptown wrote:
bbfollower wrote:

Many apologies Just a BB Fan... did not mean to get you upset... I am just an old goat who loves class a and b BB... not from Mandan at all... just like reading these forums and I feel like poor Century and Mandan have been kicked around alot in these... I am sorry not picking on you either...

You didn't upset me :D.  Actually, you reinforced my point that people tend to get defensive for no reason!  I think this is a great place to talk about ND basketball with people from Williston to Wahpeton to Grand Forks to Bowman. 
just a bb fan

Postby cd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:31 am

To those of you who think Mandan was a little defensive about the Century girl wearing a feather and jersey #30.  Well, this goes back to the scuttlebutt that Century has created about Mandan "recruiting" because Mandan had a transfer in student who happened to earn a spot on the basketball team that beat Century.  This girl is of Native American heritage and a very good basketball player who had to earn her spot on the team just as any other girl has had to do.  This particular girl did not beat Century on her own!  She was part of a team that did this - this team just so happens to have a deep bench and can play 5 in, 5 out,new 5 in, those 5 out, and a new 5 in and then maybe a combination of players!  It has been tough as everyone knows for Century to lose to this Mandan team but they have beaten Mandan and then the attitude changes.  Another item of interest is that the parents and students alike wore those shirts to the tournament when they played Mandan that said " they loved their home grown talent".  It just seemed a little strange that they chose to wear those when playing Mandan - the question was were they not so proud of their home grown talent when playing other teams.  Maybe their shirts were too sweaty to wear again - after all it was a good game.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:35 am

We've been through that already so lets talk about other mascots.  What are some of the more interesting school nicknames?  I like the spuds from Moorhead. Do schools make signs like "Mash the Spuds"?
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:45 am

WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO COME BACK TO MANDAN?  Does anyone have any opinion that DOESN'T involve Mandan? 
just a bb fan

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:48 am

THANK YOU, DEUCE!  Do you know if there is anyplace a person can get a list of schools and their nicknames/mascots?  And, does anyone know how Dickinson got their nickname?
Last edited by just a bb fan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
just a bb fan

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:56 am

just a bb fan wrote:THANK YOU, DEUCE!  Do you know if there is anyplace a person can get a list of schools and their nicknames/mascots?

Not sure.  Some other interesting ones would be the Oakes Tornados, Starkweather Storm Kings/Queens and the Grafton Spoilers.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 am

It seems like the Class B towns/schools have the "fun" names!  Not sure what they mean, but they are different.
just a bb fan

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 am

The most intimidating award goes to....

The Central Cass Squirrels!!!..jk
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:23 am

bballfan1 wrote:The most intimidating award goes to....

I think the Dickinson Midgets is kind of demeaning too. Might have been kind of amusing if Brian Quale would have played for them. (no offense meant to Mr. Quale, just thought it sounded funny thinking how tall he is.)  It would be interesting to see how they came up with the names they did.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:25 am

LOL!!  And, the LEAST intimidating award goes to______________
just a bb fan

Postby Honus355 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:26 am

I second the Central Cass Squirrels! SQUIRREL FOOTBALL just strikes fear into the heart of opponents doesn't it...
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Honus355 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:27 am

bbfollower wrote:

I think the Dickinson Midgets is kind of demeaning too. Might have been kind of amusing if Brian Quale would have played for them. (no offense meant to Mr. Quale, just thought it sounded funny thinking how tall he is.)  It would be interesting to see how they came up with the names they did.
Well, Moorman and Ott and Brown all played for Dickinson when they won state, and that year they (average wise) were up there with MPCG of the mid-90s as the tallest team on record...
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls