Mascots/Nicknames

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:28 am

bbfollower wrote:
bballfan1 wrote:The most intimidating award goes to....

The Central Cass Squirrels!!!..jk

I think the Dickinson Midgets is kind of demeaning too. Might have been kind of amusing if Brian Quale would have played for them. (no offense meant to Mr. Quale, just thought it sounded funny thinking how tall he is.)  It would be interesting to see how they came up with the names they did.
Exactly!  I'm short, but I don't know if I'd want my team called the "Shorties."  Why would a school but themselves in that position?  There must have been a good reason, right?
just a bb fan

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:32 am

just a bb fan wrote:
bbfollower wrote:

I think the Dickinson Midgets is kind of demeaning too. Might have been kind of amusing if Brian Quale would have played for them. (no offense meant to Mr. Quale, just thought it sounded funny thinking how tall he is.)  It would be interesting to see how they came up with the names they did.
Exactly!  I'm short, but I don't know if I'd want my team called the "Shorties."  Why would a school but themselves in that position?  There must have been a good reason, right?

Its Mighty Midgets.  But its not that uncommon of a nickname.  McLaughlin, SD are also the Midgets and their colors are also orange and black. 

I don't think you'll find another school called the Holsteins.  But the Squirrels, now thats unique.  They need an adjective to toughen it up a bit.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:34 am

Deuce wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:
bbfollower wrote:

Its Mighty Midgets.  But its not that uncommon of a nickname.  McLaughlin, SD are also the Midgets and their colors are also orange and black. 

I don't think you'll find another school called the Holsteins.  But the Squirrels, now thats unique.  They need an adjective to toughen it up a bit.

So, does the opposing team dress as Bullwinkle?
just a bb fan

Postby Honus355 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:46 am

The former Co-op Sheyenne-Minnewauken was also the Midgets...
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 am

What does the nickname Green Wave mean?  I know East Grand Forks uses it and Alamo?.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:54 am

Honus355 wrote:The former Co-op Sheyenne-Minnewauken was also the Midgets...

Hard to believe there are that many named the Midgets.  I don't get it!
just a bb fan

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:02 pm

It is quite amazing to look at how many derogatory names used to be used...there was no such thing a political correctness.

For example: Midgets, Whapeton-wops, GFC-red skins, Dazey-savages

bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:26 pm

bballfan1 wrote:It is quite amazing to look at how many derogatory names used to be used...there was no such thing a political correctness.

For example: Midgets, Whapeton-wops, GFC-red skins, Dazey-savages

Wow, I guess that is true. I never really thought about some of the derogatory names that teams mascots are.  
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Honus355 wrote:
bbfollower wrote:

Well, Moorman and Ott and Brown all played for Dickinson when they won state, and that year they (average wise) were up there with MPCG of the mid-90s as the tallest team on record...

That is true.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby GFRR99 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:29 pm

What do you guys think are the best school names?

My Favorites

Rough Riders
Spartans, made sweeter after the movie 300 came out
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby just a bb fan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:44 am

sportsman20 wrote:What do you guys think are the best school names?

My Favorites

Rough Riders

I really think I have to go with the Squirrels.  Someone had a sense of humor to pick that name!!
just a bb fan

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:02 am

just a bb fan wrote:

My Favorites

Rough Riders

I really think I have to go with the Squirrels.  Someone had a sense of humor to pick that name!!

Don't forget the woodchucks of St. John!!!
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby just a bb fan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:02 am

WildWarrior wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

My Favorites

Rough Riders

Don't forget the woodchucks of St. John!!!

That's right up there with the Squirrels! But Squirrels still wins in my book!  :D
Last edited by just a bb fan on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
just a bb fan

Postby Stromer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:24 pm

Deuce wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:THANK YOU, DEUCE!  Do you know if there is anyplace a person can get a list of schools and their nicknames/mascots?

Not sure.  Some other interesting ones would be the Oakes Tornados, Starkweather Storm Kings/Queens and the Grafton Spoilers.

Best name ever.  How can you make fun of that?  Heck I wonder if anyone knows why it was chosen.  I might have to ask around.  Now with the co-op you have the Magic Storm, an equally strange nickname.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bestinthewest » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Holsteins has to be up there with the most unique, haha just think of all the signs opposing teams make. i've seen it all.....

Beef, its what's for dinner
Got Milk?
It's Cow-Tippin Time
Milk the Holsteins

and the list goes on

but its actually extremely funny and no one from new salem gets offended. thats how everyone else should be, class A or B, its school sports and school spirit.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby Carl08 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:38 pm

bestinthewest wrote:Holsteins has to be up there with the most unique, haha just think of all the signs opposing teams make. i've seen it all.....

Got Milk?
It's Cow-Tippin Time
Milk the Holsteins

and the list goes on

but its actually extremely funny and no one from new salem gets offended. thats how everyone else should be, class A or B, its school sports and school spirit.

agree...people need to lighten up
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:10 am

Carl08 wrote:
bestinthewest wrote:Holsteins has to be up there with the most unique, haha just think of all the signs opposing teams make. i've seen it all.....

Got Milk?
It's Cow-Tippin Time
Milk the Holsteins

and the list goes on

agree...people need to lighten up

exactly right!!  take it for what it is, school spirit.  if shanley doesn't get upset with the opposing fans wearing habits (i think that is very funny), why would someone get upset with a feather.  lighten up people!  i'd like to hear what the opposing team does do when they play the Squirrels!
just a bb fan

Postby cd » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 am

it wasn't just a wearing of the feather - apparently you haven't heard or read the story that goes along with all this.   I can say that I know of a lot of people from the Mandan Braves who know the story and circumstances and that is what offends them.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:56 am

cd wrote:it wasn't just a wearing of the feather - apparently you haven't heard or read the story that goes along with all this.   I can say that I know of a lot of people from the Mandan Braves who know the story and circumstances and that is what offends them.

no need to get into that again.  can anyone answer my question about what the opposing team wears or says when they play the Squirrels?  i would imagine it takes some creativity there! 
just a bb fan

Previous

Return to Girls