Next Year

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby squeak63 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:29 am

its early so personally i cant point out any certain team to win  the west next year.. you gotta remember there is tons of things that can happen till the next basketball season... bismarck and mandan and jamestown are my 3 top teams... i dont know much about jamestown but as for mandan... you cant really say they dont have experience because they had a couple of sophmores and juniors that got signifagant playing time last year and they also had all those people who sat for varsity games who got to play half the game in the big blow outs so therefor they wont have any nerves because they will allready have been there... as for bismarck they will be solid all around and i believe they will be the overal most talented team next year but its not allways the most talented team that wins its the team that wants it the most... all of amundsons teams have proven that they have wanted it more than pretty much anyone else...  last year... not taking anything away from dl but bismarck just was not mentally prepared for that first round game so hopefully they can turn it around and this year and show that hey have the desire to be champions
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby just a bb fan » Wed May 16, 2007 12:48 pm

well said!
just a bb fan

Postby sports101 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 pm

mandan will win another championship who is gonna stop them?

bismarck has i think has the best chance to upset mandan and take the title they have alot of there starters returning this year.
sports101

Postby nd-ball41 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:35 am

Yes Ramlo, Dale, & Schuchard will spear head the Jamestown team, and they have their starting point guard from last year, Madey Hornung returning also.
nd-ball41

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Jamestown will definitely be good, they played amazing in their state tourney win over South and that will do nothing but give them confidence.  Bismarck will have talent galore, and obviously Mandan will be good as well.  As far as the 4th team from the West, who knows.  In the East, I think South will be the favorite.  They return I think 3 starters, won the East tourney for the 2nd year in a row, and they always have good undercard teams.  Shanley should be good as well, although they're going to need a playmaker to replace Schuler, she kind of set up everything for them.  Privatsky will make Devils Lake competitive, but they won't be as good as they were last year, they lost too much of the supporting cast, although with a new coach, some kids may feel like they're getting a fresh start and raise their play...a new coach is always a wild card with teams.  Red River I guess would be the next best team.  The power all seems to be in the West again though for 07-08.  Be fun to look back here and see everyone's predictions as next year rolls along!
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby HitManHoops » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:49 pm

I agree that Jamestown will be good. In the east, South, Shanley, Red River, and possibly Central with a new coach will be quite good. South has quite a few starters returning, as with Red River. Shanley has 2 starters returning with a guard and a post. Also there's a girl who was hurt last year that'll be back.. good shooter I hear. But it will be tough to tell who will have ths top spot. I'm excited for next year!!!! :D
HitManHoops

Postby EDC » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Looks like the younger Shanley girls will be very competitive.  They have worked very hard during the summer.  Add in five seniors and Shanley will be very good this year.  Should be the favorite coming into the season by those who have seen them play.  Depth should not be a problem.  Might be between Jamestown, Bismarck and Shanley for the state title though you can never rule out Mandan.
Last edited by EDC on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Carl08 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Saw Shanley beat Moorhead over the weekend by about 10 pts.  at the MSUM team camp.  I believe Moorhead had all of their starters including two standouts in Jacobson and Hooten.  Shanley looked very impressive.  Paulson and Carew played great and the others seem to be stepping up and filling spots...the guard play did not seem to be as weak as I had expected with Brenner, and Molly Jackson helping Annie Jackson in the backcourt.
Last edited by Carl08 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Shanley's incoming freshmen are very good...I wouldn't surprised to see a couple seeing the varsity floor.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 am

Baller wrote:Shanley's incoming freshmen are very good...I wouldn't surprised to see a couple seeing the varsity floor.

They are good, no doubt, but it's their little point guard, I forget her name now - Sara?? - that makes the rest of them better.  When she is sitting out, that group isn't nearly as good.  I know that group won the 9th grade tournament last year as 8th graders, but thats a little misleading - most teams have their good 9th graders moved up either to soph or jv or sometimes v.  I'm not taking anything away from them, they are definitely good players.  I would say at least that point guard will get some varsity minutes.  Along those same lines, I believe South has a very good group of incoming freshmen as well.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Carl08 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
Baller wrote:Shanley's incoming freshmen are very good...I wouldn't surprised to see a couple seeing the varsity floor.

They are good, no doubt, but it's their little point guard, I forget her name now - Sara?? - that makes the rest of them better.  When she is sitting out, that group isn't nearly as good.  I know that group won the 9th grade tournament last year as 8th graders, but thats a little misleading - most teams have their good 9th graders moved up either to soph or jv or sometimes v.  I'm not taking anything away from them, they are definitely good players.  I would say at least that point guard will get some varsity minutes.  Along those same lines, I believe South has a very good group of incoming freshmen as well.

I believe you are talking about Sophie Kenney. She is a good ball handler.  Also, Sadie Rivard and Nicole Carew from that group could see varsity time, but at the start it may be limited. They are still fairly little and will get pushed around in varsity games unless they get stronger.  As the year goes on they will get the experience they need to be successful at the varsity level but right away Shanley won't have much of a bench.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:42 pm

Carl08 wrote:
EastGuruWannabe wrote:

I believe you are talking about Sophie Kenney. She is a good ball handler.  Also, Sadie Rivard and Nicole Carew from that group could see varsity time, but at the start it may be limited. They are still fairly little and will get pushed around in varsity games unless they get stronger.  As the year goes on they will get the experience they need to be successful at the varsity level but right away Shanley won't have much of a bench.

yup, sophie, thats the one - thanks for the assist!  I really like the way she plays - haven't seen her play a whole lot, but it doesn't take too long to see she's going to be a very solid guard for the Deacons in years to come.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby 2424 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:20 pm

shanley is weak in guards and great in posts, south has haring stroup and anstad for returning to run their show, dl is weak in posts but still managed to beat south at msu tourny with a.p. running the show.
"when in Rome"
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:48 pm

2424 wrote:shanley is weak in guards and great in posts, south has haring stroup and anstad for returning to run their show, dl is weak in posts but still managed to beat south at msu tourny with a.p. running the show.

You can't take anything as far as wins and losses out of summer team camps.  Half the time each team either doesn't have their whole team there, or are playing kids that are going to get cut later on, or the game would be played differently in the season when coaches can prep for games and have their entire off/def packages incorportated and a game plan set up to stop a particular team and/or player, or will have younger kids moved up into more prominant roles, etc. etc.  Summer ball is good for coaches and parents to see who can and can't play, nothing else.  Now, this isn't to say dl can't beat south in the regular season - obviously privratsky is the best player in the edc and can very likely single handedly defeat teams or at least keep her team in every game
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Carl08 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:36 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
2424 wrote:shanley is weak in guards and great in posts, south has haring stroup and anstad for returning to run their show, dl is weak in posts but still managed to beat south at msu tourny with a.p. running the show.

You can't take anything as far as wins and losses out of summer team camps.  Half the time each team either doesn't have their whole team there, or are playing kids that are going to get cut later on, or the game would be played differently in the season when coaches can prep for games and have their entire off/def packages incorportated and a game plan set up to stop a particular team and/or player, or will have younger kids moved up into more prominant roles, etc. etc.  Summer ball is good for coaches and parents to see who can and can't play, nothing else.  Now, this isn't to say dl can't beat south in the regular season - obviously privratsky is the best player in the edc and can very likely single handedly defeat teams or at least keep her team in every game

It's going to be very difficult for even A.P. to keep DL in games this year!
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:44 pm

I don't think that is true...I put them 4 in the EDC behind Shanley, South, and West Fargo.  They have pretty descent sophs that will see time and gathman and greening will give A.P. some support.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carl08 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Baller wrote:I don't think that is true...I put them 4 in the EDC behind Shanley, South, and West Fargo.  They have pretty descent sophs that will see time and gathman and greening will give A.P. some support.

I believe they will win games due to how weak many of the teams in the EDC are this year but they will not be able to stay with SHS FS WF like Baller said, also Wahp and Red River.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:04 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:

I totally agree... summer ball is to find out who can and can't play, coaches usually give everyone equal playing time and play girls that will either get cut or wont play during the season.  I do think DL will be good, Ashley will make her teammates better. Shanley, South, Red River and DL will be top 4... West Fargo will be down from last year.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Shanley plays at Staples, Crookston and Moorhead this year.  Does Minnesota have a shot clock?  This is another year that Shanley doesn't play any west teams unless they meet at State.  Look forward to many thinking the west is way better again.  After going through that all last year maybe Shanley will get a little respect this year.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:51 pm

EDC wrote:Shanley plays at Staples, Crookston and Moorhead this year.  Does Minnesota have a shot clock?  This is another year that Shanley doesn't play any west teams unless they meet at State.  Look forward to many thinking the west is way better again.  After going through that all last year maybe Shanley will get a little respect this year.

The west was better last year and with the exception of Devils Lake the east got it handed to them at state...I hope you do not think that Shanley's 6th place finish is what is going to earn them respect...Respect is earned not demanded
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:08 am

I would agree that the west was better last year.  I would disagree that Shanley got it "handed to" them last year at the state tournament.  Shanley had leads against both Century and Bismarck with less than 7 minutes to go in those games before running out of gas.  I agree, the respect thing takes time and must be earned.  In the eyes of the west, looks like Shanley won't have the opportunity to earn respect till state tournament time this year.  Demand respect - no.  Be objective - yes.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Re:

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Baller wrote:I don't think that is true...I put them 4 in the EDC behind Shanley, South, and West Fargo.  They have pretty descent sophs that will see time and gathman and greening will give A.P. some support.

Anstadt used to live in Devils Lake. She could have given AP some support, but I still think Gathman and Greening can get the job done. And there is a Mertens girl that could supprise us.
dgfsuperfan1

Previous

Return to Girls