Good article about St Paul Central

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bruins44 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:32 am

There is a very good article in the Star Tribune today about St Paul Central's girls basketball team, they are 29-0 and favored to win the State 4A tournament, they have 4 new players this year that tranfered from other Twin City schools.... What do you think?  Can you say Mandan

http://www.startribune.com/526/story/1052970.html
Last edited by bruins44 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:46 am

Difference being that no one can play with them (at least two teams played with Mandan in the Tourney) and they don't pay any attention to the allegations (Mandan fans take it soooo personal and are obviously defensive about it)
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbfollower » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:02 am

Maybe people are not making personal attacks on players on St. Paul's team.

[user=1276]Baller[/user] wrote:
Difference being that no one can play with them (at least two teams played with Mandan in the Tourney) and they don't pay any attention to the allegations (Mandan fans take it soooo personal and are obviously defensive about it)
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:13 am

I say Mandan all the way.  All the way to 5 straight state titles.  Friends and players who play together in summer leagues end up going to school together.  Perhaps if anti-Mandan posters didn't sound so much like whinners and complainers students coming to the area would chose your school.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:19 am

bruins44 wrote:There is a very good article in the Star Tribune today about St Paul Central's girls basketball team, they are 29-0 and favored to win the State 4A tournament, they have 4 new players this year that tranfered from other Twin Citie schools.... What do you think?  Can you say Mandan

This isn't quite the same.  For one Mandan didn't get 4 new girls this year, it was one girl who actually moved.  In order for it to be comparable it would need to be something like LaFrance, Fettig, and the Feeneys all transfering to Mandan and not moving.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:39 am

Tiger Pride wrote:I say Mandan all the way.  All the way to 5 straight state titles.  Friends and players who play together in summer leagues end up going to school together.  Perhaps if anti-Mandan posters didn't sound so much like whinners and complainers students coming to the area would chose your school.

yea i bet they come on north dakota preps and read what people say aobut Mandan and sit down with the family and decide not to go to school with whinners.........
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbfollower » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:52 am

baseball wrote:
Tiger Pride wrote:I say Mandan all the way.  All the way to 5 straight state titles.  Friends and players who play together in summer leagues end up going to school together.  Perhaps if anti-Mandan posters didn't sound so much like whinners and complainers students coming to the area would chose your school.

yea i bet they come on north dakota preps and read what people say aobut Mandan and sit down with the family and decide not to go to school with whinners.........

All they would have to do is read the Bismarck Tribune on-line or for that matter, read the Minot Daily News and they would see the negativity. Also, people talk. A few people from Devils Lake said they had heard about the negativity from people regarding Mandan. They also said they face some of the same things from the EDC.  
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 am

Deuce wrote:
bruins44 wrote:There is a very good article in the Star Tribune today about St Paul Central's girls basketball team, they are 29-0 and favored to win the State 4A tournament, they have 4 new players this year that tranfered from other Twin Citie schools.... What do you think?  Can you say Mandan

This isn't quite the same.  For one Mandan didn't get 4 new girls this year, it was one girl who actually moved.  In order for it to be comparable it would need to be something like LaFrance, Fettig, and the Feeneys all transfering to Mandan and not moving.

I'd say a better comparison would be 2 Dickinson Trinity girls transfering to Dickinson High and starting for them.  Can anyone enlighten us as to if this has ever happened? 

Plus if you call out Mandan, why not call out Shanley?  I'm sure Shuler's transfer didn't sit too well with FS or DL but you didn't see t-shirts, signs and flyers.  (Plus they handed them out to Mandan people, how dumb)  Because the Fargo and DL fans, while it may bother them, wouldn't stoop that low like the Bismarck/Century fans.

Last edited by Deuce on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 am

Deuce wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I'd say a better comparison would be 2 Dickinson Trinity girls transfering to Dickinson High and starting for them.  Can anyone enlighten us as to if this has ever happened? 

Plus if you call out Mandan, why not call out Shanley?  I'm sure Shuler's transfer didn't sit too well with FS or DL but you didn't see t-shirts, signs and flyers.  (Plus they handed them out to Mandan people, how dumb)  Because the Fargo and DL fans, while it may bother them, wouldn't stoop that low like the Bismarck/Century fans.

That was not a really the best idea to hand out the flyers to Mandan people. Of course, I am sure that it was to get a rise out of Mandan people. Just shows who has sportsmanship.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby finfam06 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 am

bbfollower wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Deuce wrote:

This isn't quite the same.  For one Mandan didn't get 4 new girls this year, it was one girl who actually moved.  In order for it to be comparable it would need to be something like LaFrance, Fettig, and the Feeneys all transferring to Mandan and not moving.

I'd say a better comparison would be 2 Dickinson Trinity girls transferring to Dickinson High and starting for them.  Can anyone enlighten us as to if this has ever happened? 

That was not a really the best idea to hand out the flyers to Mandan people. Of course, I am sure that it was to get a rise out of Mandan people. Just shows who has sportsmanship.

The Mandan Players and Coaches displayed the most class when playing opponents this year. No technicals, warnings, arguing with referees, etc. The girls went about business and brought home a state championship trophy! By the way, I heard a few WDA Coaches approached Marlee's parent about transferring to their school, and Mandan was not one of them!!! Interesting!!!
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demonfan74 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:33 am

finfam06 wrote:
bbfollower wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Deuce wrote:

This isn't quite the same.  For one Mandan didn't get 4 new girls this year, it was one girl who actually moved.  In order for it to be comparable it would need to be something like LaFrance, Fettig, and the Feeneys all transferring to Mandan and not moving.

I'd say a better comparison would be 2 Dickinson Trinity girls transferring to Dickinson High and starting for them.  Can anyone enlighten us as to if this has ever happened? 

The Mandan Players and Coaches displayed the most class when playing opponents this year. No technicals, warnings, arguing with referees, etc. The girls went about business and brought home a state championship trophy! By the way, I heard a few WDA Coaches approached Marlee's parent about transferring to their school, and Mandan was not one of them!!! Interesting!!!

Mandan showed the most class?  During the semi-final game, the asst. coach from mandan soluted the century fans as he walked by after they won! Haha, I would expect that from a player or a student, but not a coach!
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:38 am

there were a lot of teams that went through the season with no technicals or warnings..as far as argueing with the referees.....Amundson whines everytime his players get a foul..he acts as if they do nothing wrong and should never be called for fouls.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:52 am

Baller wrote:there were a lot of teams that went through the season with no technicals or warnings..as far as argueing with the referees.....Amundson whines everytime his players get a foul..he acts as if they do nothing wrong and should never be called for fouls.

Come on now.  Show me a coach that doesn't get on the refs.  They are all trying to pursuade the black and white that their team should be getting the calls.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 am

kids move and transfer....some are good ball players some are bad.  why is it only recruiting when the good ones move???  in Schuler's case, and i know her personally, she moved for personal reason to live with her sister, and already had some friends at Shanley from summer ball so she went there instead of another school in Fargo where she didnt know anyone. she didnt move to be on a good bball team.  as for the Marlee Finley girl from Mandan, what if she sat the bench and played JV?? is that recruiting too cuz she came from a different school??  face it, kids move for family reasons, kids transfer for personal reasons, just cuz the kid can play ball doesnt mean they were recruited. call me dumb but its startin to stuff me off how everytime a good team gets a player its recruiting.......next year if someone wins and has a starting freshman everyone is gonna think the coach wnet and scouted a middle school game, where is it gonna end??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:04 am

Deuce wrote:
Baller wrote:there were a lot of teams that went through the season with no technicals or warnings..as far as argueing with the referees.....Amundson whines everytime his players get a foul..he acts as if they do nothing wrong and should never be called for fouls.

Come on now.  Show me a coach that doesn't get on the refs.  They are all trying to pursuade the black and white that their team should be getting the calls.

I realize that but I was referring to a post where someone tried to claim that mandan coaches were the classiest because they had no technicals and never argued with the refs.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:11 am

baseball wrote:kids move and transfer....some are good ball players some are bad.  why is it only recruiting when the good ones move???  in Schuler's case, and i know her personally, she moved for personal reason to live with her sister, and already had some friends at Shanley from summer ball so she went there instead of another school in Fargo where she didnt know anyone. she didnt move to be on a good bball team.  as for the Marlee Finley girl from Mandan, what if she sat the bench and played JV?? is that recruiting too cuz she came from a different school??  face it, kids move for family reasons, kids transfer for personal reasons, just cuz the kid can play ball doesnt mean they were recruited. call me dumb but its startin to crap me off how everytime a good team gets a player its recruiting.......next year if someone wins and has a starting freshman everyone is gonna think the coach wnet and scouted a middle school game, where is it gonna end??

Umm...that's what we did at bismarck high.  Wilhelm went to horizon middle school on the north side of town because that's where he lives, but steve miller talked to him several times and promised a position for him if he went on the south side to play for bhs.

Referring to if the girl isn't that good is it still considered recruiting?  Yes, I believe taken alive was projected to be a better player and transferred in but primarily played jv.  Jenson was another transfer. 

Was finlee's family reason to distance herself from her brother?
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:14 am

demonfan74 wrote:
baseball wrote:kids move and transfer....some are good ball players some are bad.  why is it only recruiting when the good ones move???  in Schuler's case, and i know her personally, she moved for personal reason to live with her sister, and already had some friends at Shanley from summer ball so she went there instead of another school in Fargo where she didnt know anyone. she didnt move to be on a good bball team.  as for the Marlee Finley girl from Mandan, what if she sat the bench and played JV?? is that recruiting too cuz she came from a different school??  face it, kids move for family reasons, kids transfer for personal reasons, just cuz the kid can play ball doesnt mean they were recruited. call me dumb but its startin to crap me off how everytime a good team gets a player its recruiting.......next year if someone wins and has a starting freshman everyone is gonna think the coach wnet and scouted a middle school game, where is it gonna end??

Umm...that's what we did at bismarck high.  Wilhelm went to horizon middle school on the north side of town because that's where he lives, but steve miller talked to him several times and promised a position for him if he went on the south side to play for bhs.

Referring to if the girl isn't that good is it still considered recruiting?  Yes, I believe taken alive was projected to be a better player and transferred in but primarily played jv.  Jenson was another transfer

When and where from did Jensen tranfer?  Just currious because I know her mom works at the HS and is the 8th grade girls basketball coach. 

ps. I think I know the answer but I'm just wondering if my answer matches yours.
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demonfan74 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:20 am

Deuce wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:

Referring to if the girl isn't that good is it still considered recruiting?  Yes, I believe taken alive was projected to be a better player and transferred in but primarily played jv.  Jenson was another transfer

When and where from did Jensen tranfer?  Just currious because I know her mom works at the HS and is the 8th grade girls basketball coach.

To be quite honest, I have no idea.  Several people have told me she transferred. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:23 am

Deuce wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:

ps. I think I know the answer but I'm just wondering if my answer matches yours.

I believe that Paige Jenson has been in Mandan since 6th grade.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 am

demonfan74 wrote:

Referring to if the girl isn't that good is it still considered recruiting?  Yes, I believe taken alive was projected to be a better player and transferred in but primarily played jv.  Jenson was another transfer. 

then why isnt anyone complaining about BHS recruiting????  o yea, cuz they dont win 5 state titles in a row to cause jealousy.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:30 am

[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:

then why isnt anyone complaining about BHS recruiting????  o yea, cuz they dont win 5 state titles in a row to cause jealousy.

People have always claimed that Steve Miller recruits, but just like now...nothing is done about it and it blows over.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:32 am

Baller wrote:[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:

People have always claimed that Steve Miller recruits, but just like now...nothing is done about it and it blows over.

it blows over cuz he doesnt win state year after year.  if he was caochin class b and goin to state every year people would say tihngs, but its nto a big deal when u have a 50% chance of going to state like in class a.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:56 pm

bbfollower wrote:
Deuce wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:

My answer would have been the 8th grade as her first school year in Mandan.  I could be wrong.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:12 pm

Deuce wrote:
bbfollower wrote:
Deuce wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:

My answer would have been the 8th grade as her first school year in Mandan.  I could be wrong.

If I remember right, Paige's mom wrote in to the Tribune website a few weeks back when this topic of recruiting came up and I believe she said 6th grade was when Paige came to Mandan.  I can't seem to find that though to confirm. Anyway, she did not just transfer in.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:00 pm

I don't think there was ever anything in the paper about it.  Paige came here the summer before freshman year.  Her mom works at the school and she has a brother and sister.  If you are going to try to use that for a recruiting argument that is just way off.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls