How the state A is run

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby sportsmart » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 am

I am just a fan who wanted to take in a game or 2 and think it is crazy that I had to pay $12.50 for one high school game.  Plus the seating stinks.  I think it would be way better to split the girls and boys and run them on separate weekends.  What does everyone think??
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:01 am

I thought the admission was a little high myself.  For me and my family it was $51 a day to get in the door.  Then you have the price of concessions.  Add the cost of a hotel room and meals and you have the reason people stay home and watch on TV or listen on radio.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:10 am

it should be separate weekends and at the civic
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:12 am

I'm in favor of moving girls basketball back to the fall, then you have something to watch other than football.....run the girls tourney the weekend before the dakota bowl and everyone would be happy.....they don't televise state volleyball anyway.  And the Fargo Civic is the best venue for girls basketball in the state!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bawlhogg701 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:17 am

I agree too the cost to get in is way 2 high.  Also I feel like the tournament is trying to cram too much basketball into a single weekend....I know this doesnt sound possible because there is never enough basketball, but If you have a boys and girls team that you are trying to follow you can't watch both games if they are scheduled too close in regards to time. Also if they have 2 seperate tourneys maybe they can have the opening rounds on TV.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:18 am

shs01240 wrote:it should be separate weekends and at the civic
You are correct!!!  Totally agree!!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND_SportsNut » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:43 am

I wish the girls moved back to fall and then I wish they could put the EDC back on FOX!!!
ND_SportsNut

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:52 am

SCC wrote:This is just another reason not to have three classes of basketball!  If that were to happen, the boys and girls tournaments would likely be combined for all three classes.  Class A has to stay combined, but keep it out of the B!

Amen. Change your moniker to 'voice of reason'

1) NDHSAA was pretty much forced to flip flop VB and GBB
2) That change is pretty much the underlying reason why all the complaints are brought up.

you can talk until your blue in the face about sperate weekends yada yada yada...and the way it is now is about the ONLY possible way to cram state wrestling, A&B girls BB into a 5 week period.

I'd suggest if you've the magic pill to fix it all give Sherm and the boys at NDHSAA they'd be more than happy to hear from ya.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbfollower » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:17 am

I agree that I would like to see the opening rounds of the Class A on TV. I do understand though that it would be pretty impossible to do with the way the tournament is run because you have overlapping of the games between boys and girls. The only way to do it would be to start at 9:00 in the morning!

I think the Bismarck Civic Center is a good place to have the State Tournament too. (I have never been to the Fargodome for a tournament, so don't know how that works. So can't say if it is or is not a good location.)
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:53 am

point/center wrote:
SCC wrote:This is just another reason not to have three classes of basketball!  If that were to happen, the boys and girls tournaments would likely be combined for all three classes.  Class A has to stay combined, but keep it out of the B!

Amen. Change your moniker to 'voice of reason'

1) NDHSAA was pretty much forced to flip flop VB and GBB
2) That change is pretty much the underlying reason why all the complaints are brought up.

you can talk until your blue in the face about sperate weekends yada yada yada...and the way it is now is about the ONLY possible way to cram state wrestling, A&B girls BB into a 5 week period.

I'd suggest if you've the magic pill to fix it all give Sherm and the boys at NDHSAA they'd be more than happy to hear from ya.

All true and good points.  There were lawsuits in other states that forced the changes.  I think the most realistic solution would be to have another network cover one of the tourneys.  I am sure there are legal hang ups there as well and that would do nothing to fix the problem of how awful it is to watch games in the dome or alerus center.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm

bbfollower wrote:I agree that I would like to see the opening rounds of the Class A on TV. I do understand though that it would be pretty impossible to do with the way the tournament is run because you have overlapping of the games between boys and girls. The only way to do it would be to start at 9:00 in the morning!

I think the Bismarck Civic Center is a good place to have the State Tournament too. (I have never been to the Fargodome for a tournament, so don't know how that works. So can't say if it is or is not a good location.)

in the bismarck civic center i think your more close to the action, fargodome was ok but its built for football games just like the alerus not for basketball
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby bbfollower » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
bbfollower wrote:I agree that I would like to see the opening rounds of the Class A on TV. I do understand though that it would be pretty impossible to do with the way the tournament is run because you have overlapping of the games between boys and girls. The only way to do it would be to start at 9:00 in the morning!

in the bismarck civic center i think your more close to the action, fargodome was ok but its built for football games just like the alerus not for basketball

That is what I have heard too, that you are kind of far away from the action, but since I hadn't experienced it myself, I didn't want to get myself in trouble by stating the only place for it would be the Civic Center. I also like to have it at the Civic Center for selfish reasons in that it is cheaper because I don't have to get a motel room.:D
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:04 pm

a guy wrote a letter to the editor today in the forum about it. personally i thought his reasoning for why he could comment on this topic i laughable, but anyway... 

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/159351

Kevin C. Flynn, Fargo, letter: Class A tournament the worst-run ever
Published Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I have never seen a tournament run as poorly as I have last weekend, thanks to the Fargodome. I played college basketball and my father coached high school, so I can comment.

First of all, I don’t want a “day passâ€Â
Last edited by rep on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:28 pm

for whatever it's worth kevin flynn is a radio guy in Detroit Lakes. I'd rather not give him the justice of responding to his intellectually challenged arguement.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:49 pm

[quote="rep"]a guy wrote a letter to the editor today in the forum about it. personally i thought his reasoning for why he could comment on this topic i laughable, but anyway... 

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/159351

Kevin C. Flynn, Fargo, letter: Class A tournament the worst-run ever
Published Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I have never seen a tournament run as poorly as I have last weekend, thanks to the Fargodome. I played college basketball and my father coached high school, so I can comment.

First of all, I don’t want a “day passâ€Â
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 am

I think that the State Basketball games should be in Bismarck. The Civic Center is made for basketball. The Fargodome and Alerus Center are made for football not basketball. At the Civic Center you are up close to the action, not a mile away, and you don't have to hear the commotion on the other side of the curtain. Plus Bismarck is centrally located. Let Fargo and Grand Forks keep the Football and Bismarck the Basketball.
vikingfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:15 am

vikingfan wrote:I think that the State Basketball games should be in Bismarck. The Civic Center is made for basketball. The Fargodome and Alerus Center are made for football not basketball. At the Civic Center you are up close to the action, not a mile away, and you don't have to hear the commotion on the other side of the curtain. Plus Bismarck is centrally located. Let Fargo and Grand Forks keep the Football and Bismarck the Basketball.

I agree completely!  It's about time they permanently move the State Track to the bowl, too.
just a bb fan

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:51 pm

just a bb fan wrote:
vikingfan wrote:I think that the State Basketball games should be in Bismarck. The Civic Center is made for basketball. The Fargodome and Alerus Center are made for football not basketball. At the Civic Center you are up close to the action, not a mile away, and you don't have to hear the commotion on the other side of the curtain. Plus Bismarck is centrally located. Let Fargo and Grand Forks keep the Football and Bismarck the Basketball.

I agree completely!  It's about time they permanently move the State Track to the bowl, too.

The civic center in bismarck definitely has a better atmosphere.  You just feel more apart of the game.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:25 pm

demonfan74 wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

The civic center in bismarck definitely has a better atmosphere.  You just feel more apart of the game.

next time you get a chance ask Jim or any of the Bismarck tournement committee if they would want every A and B basketball tourney every year in Bismarck. I would love to hear that response. You don't realize wanting the tourneys and getting the literally 100 or so VOLUNTEERS to put it on are not like turning on water in your faucet.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby just a bb fan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:56 am

point/center wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

next time you get a chance ask Jim or any of the Bismarck tournement committee if they would want every A and B basketball tourney every year in Bismarck. I would love to hear that response. You don't realize wanting the tourneys and getting the literally 100 or so VOLUNTEERS to put it on are not like turning on water in your faucet.

You're probably right about that, but looking at it from a purely selfish fan standpoint -- I believe the Civic Center is the best venue.  I've offered to help Jim H., but he always says he has enough volunteers.  I think he gets the same people every event.  That can be good thing, because they probably have their responsibilities down pat.
just a bb fan

Postby bawlhogg701 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:56 am

What is up with that curtain?!? Doesn't have the feel of a State Tourney with a big curtain between two courts.  It's more like an off season tourney or something.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:48 am

some people can complain about the cost of tickets to high while others will call it a bargain.  he's my take......i payed for a student at the state A for $6.50 for the whole day where at the State B i payed $4 per session for $8 a day.  if yoru a fan of basketball like some say they are to go take in a day of the games, id rather play 6.50 for 8 games (6 on the last day) then $4 twice for 2 game sessions.

I know someone is gonna say "yea but i only want to watch my team play and its too high" then ya it is too high for 1 game.  but their whole idea is to keep people for the whole day, not to mention you can leave and COME BACK without paying again.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby just a bb fan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:14 am

bawlhogg701 wrote:What is up with that curtain?!? Doesn't have the feel of a State Tourney with a big curtain between two courts.  It's more like an off season tourney or something.

you got that right about the curtain.  i felt like i was at a travelling tournament again.  i thought those days were gone.
just a bb fan

Postby ndguy256 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:20 pm

I think that they should have it in Grand Forks. Then they could use the Betty and the Ralph and both guys and girls would have their own court and arena. If the Ralph was being used, simply have it at the Hyslop. It would not be that far to walk between them. Then you could use the Betty for the Championship Bracket and it would be more enjoyable, because it was designed for basketball.
ndguy256
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Stromer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:20 pm

ndguy256 wrote:I think that they should have it in Grand Forks. Then they could use the Betty and the Ralph and both guys and girls would have their own court and arena. If the Ralph was being used, simply have it at the Hyslop. It would not be that far to walk between them. Then you could use the Betty for the Championship Bracket and it would be more enjoyable, because it was designed for basketball.

Interesting idea.  I don't know if I like it but hockey rinks are set up a lot better for basketball games than football domes are.  Wisconsin and Ohio State play both hockey and basketball in their arenas.  WHile the sight lines afren't the best for hockey, it works for them.  So by having it at the Ralph you would be closer to the action.  However, the weekend of state basketball is usually held on the same weekend as the first round in the WCHA tourney.  Since the Sioux are so great, they most always are hosting hockey games at home that weekend.  So that might take away that option.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls